• Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    There's a lot, isn't there!?

So much fuzzy! :eek:
  • Options
    allmyteeallmytee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Please oh please cryptic add this feature. You could even make some zen sales if you did i am certain
  • Options
    ds9fan1982ds9fan1982 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Best idea in a long time, love to see this in the future.
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for the support Dm19delta, Allmytee, and DS9Fan1982!
    So much fuzzy! :eek:
    Fuzzy Wuzzy, wasn't a Tribble, was he?

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Fuzzy Wuzzy, wasn't a Tribble, was he?

No, but he gives his support to this thread. :D
  • Options
    blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    dm19delta wrote: »
    This is a great idea, because I'm tired of those damn tribbles eating my stuff and taking my bank and inventory slots. It's a real pain when I'm in the middle of an elite STF, I think I have a few inventory slots open to get a nice loot drop, only to get the "inventory full" message and open the inventory to discover those slots are taken up by tribbles. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't have a seperate storage area for them.

Or collect a GQ commodity from Haggle missions, or Romulan Ale from a contraband mission, and have it immediately turn into a tribble before you can move it anywhere. :(

Aliella Hawklight, Divine Oracle Devoted Cleric
    "Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

DaiMon Moogie, U.S.S. Acquisition
    Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
  • Options
    lolimpicardlolimpicard Member Posts: 309
    edited January 2013
    I tried to think of visuals for such a Tribble Terrarium (beyond just another bank tab).
    There could be a variety of display styles that allow for customization or even some degree of interaction.

> Solar system where tribbles are the planets as you choose.

> The KDF tribble bomb. A totally packed vat of Tribbles. Stored ones are close to the glass.

> Traditional Klingon Tribble "ball pit". It's a Bat'leth training-area, promise.

> Tribble "nativity scene".

> Tribble Zero-Point Energy Perpetual Motion Device. Extracts energy from Tribbles normally used to reproduce.

> Newton's Tribble cradle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    He's dead, Jim.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ...a Tribble 'bean-bag' chair...
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Or collect a GQ commodity from Haggle missions, or Romulan Ale from a contraband mission, and have it immediately turn into a tribble before you can move it anywhere. :(
    I've had that happen. It sucks. :(
    > Traditional Klingon Tribble "ball pit"...
    Bazinga?

:D

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    ...a Tribble 'bean-bag' chair...

Reminds me, I still want that giant pink tribble sitting in my Captains seat, like in TAS. :D
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    dm19delta wrote: »
    This is a great idea, because I'm tired of those damn tribbles eating my stuff and taking my bank and inventory slots. It's a real pain when I'm in the middle of an elite STF, I think I have a few inventory slots open to get a nice loot drop, only to get the "inventory full" message and open the inventory to discover those slots are taken up by tribbles. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't have a seperate storage area for them.

As much as I sympathize with the "tribble problem" -- I've had it happen to me, too -- and much as I'd like a separate storage for them, isn't this the whole point of tribbles?

tribbles + food = more tribbles - food = trouble

They're supposed to eat through your inventory. You're supposed to have to be careful about putting them with your food stores.

I partly solve the problem by storing excess tribbles in the mail system's "pattern buffer". I've also imported some Cannibal Tribbles from the Klingon Empire to keep them from overflowing my inventory by mistake. The Cannibals don't touch the regular food, they only eat normal (common) tribbles, and they don't reproduce the same way.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well I'd like to think after a couple of centuries and the devastation of the Klingon homeworld that tribbles have been genetically "calmed down"... ;)

"Another glorious chapter in Klingon history. Tell me, do they still sing songs of 'The Great Tribble Hunt?'"
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    As much as I sympathize with the "tribble problem" ...as I'd like a separate storage for them, isn't this the whole point of tribbles? ...They're supposed to eat through your inventory. You're supposed to have to be careful about putting them with your food stores...
    And in general I agree with you. I like the "RP flavor" of tribbles as being something that at any moment could burst out of control. And that's sort of the "price we pay" for the benefit of having tribble buffs. Ok. But please consider:

1) As Devs have said about other things (like why this game is so combat-centric when it's about a "Peaceful Federation"), this is a game. There are going to be things that deviate from canon in order to preserve game-playability.

2) Storage space in-general is too finite. This is understandably intentional: They want us to pay extra for those resources. Fine. But even Z-Store bank/inventory is too limited (I know I've purchased all I can). Further, I and others have said, we'd be willing to pay for this tribble bank.

3) STO keeps giving us more unique/bound tribbles as gifts/incentives. Only normal tribbles can be stored with the Mail pattern-buffer trick. So we work around that by storing these special tribbles on our BOffs. However, we now have two tribbles (the Fleet and Mol'Rihan tribbles) that are strangely bound to our character in such a way that we can only keep them on our Captain or in our active Inventory/Bank. Perhaps Cryptic could remove that "Character only"-bind so we can put them on our BOffs?

4) Even going back to the RP nature of tribbles being a difficult-to-control organism: Present-day humans have learned how to keep quarantines and handle biohazards in controlled environments. Sensors that can detect microscopic biological material and sound alarms and controls, etc. I'd like to hope that in STO's time we'd have even better labs/controls. Especially with their enhanced "magical" (hi-technology) sensors, and things like force fields, AI systems, and enegizers it should be possible to "wrangle" a herd of tribbles.

But hey, let's add that RP to the game: The Tribble Terrarium has x% (very small) of "busting open" and tribbles might randomly make it to our regular bank and/or inventory. Perhaps this could be merged with the DOffs System - Every captain has the option to run a daily "Tribble Keeper" assignment. Success on this keeps the Terrarium from failing (and you can have other creative results, like a Disaster failure gives you a 1hr Debuff on your ship until clean-up teams can clear the tribbles from your EPS conduits).

5) Having a Tribble Terrarium isn't the only solution, either. STO could allow players to have multiple tabs in their personal bank (like a fleet has). Multiple zones that would allow us to separate tribbles from foodstuffs.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    What I think would be amusing, is that in addition to functional interiors there could be a random mission where your ship gets flooded with hundreds of furballs, and you have to clean them up. :D
  • Options
    cincsaccincsac Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Say you could purchase this Tribble Terrarium as an upgrade to your ship.

It would be cool if this granted the ability (maybe as a doff assignment) to breed any two tribbles to come up with some hybrid on a crit success. This hybrid would then have one trait from each of it's parent tribbles. So, Cryo Tribble + Radan Tribble could give Hybrid Tribble [Cold] [Dili] or something silly like that. These hybrids would be unbound and sellable... why? Because some people would want to collect the things making them need more bank space, making them give more Z points to Cryptic. Win/Win for everyone.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I know the KDF faction have Cluster "Exploration" missions that include "hunting" tribbles. The exact map/details vary (as those random missions do), but there's a space one where you fly through a system, and blow up tribble-infested domes (bases/cities?) that explode into what I can only describe as pink packing peanuts. Sometimes Feds (or other foes) are protecting these domes. Then there's a ground mission where you and your away team (though your BOffs won't actually participate) have to run around the map and shoot/blow up tribble piles, ridding the planet/base of the investation.

I would hope any new tribble mission would be better/more inspired than these.

That being said, I'd be for any sort of mission (including a Tribble Hunt) within our ship's interior. Alas, I doubt it would happen. In the past Devs had said it would be too work intensive to make missions within our ships, unless they used a generic map (ie one that would not be whatever bridge/interior we selected).

It could be awesome though!

An "easy" work around for Cryptic, would be a DOff Assignment. A few lines of text describing the investation, load up a handful of Biologists (and/or Assault Squad Officers :P) and you've got yourself some CXP.
    cincsac wrote: »
    Say you could purchase this Tribble Terrarium as an upgrade to your ship. It would be cool if this granted the ability (maybe as a doff assignment) to breed any two tribbles to come up with some hybrid on a crit success...
    That's not something I thought of before, but it's a good idea. Adds a new spin to the old game. I like it!

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The Klingons will probably call it a Trib-bury-um...

STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    The Klingons will probably call it a Trib-bury-um...
    Heh... I picture the KDF version of a Tribble Terrarium to be less of a scientific study device and more of a large rotisserie oven.

lol

• Options
    tepistepis Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It would be neat if we could have a storage system and display case we could put in our ready room, like the aquarium.

It would look neat and also provide a separate place to store them.

-->Tepis
  • Options
    tepistepis Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I second this!
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    3) STO keeps giving us more unique/bound tribbles as gifts/incentives. Only normal tribbles can be stored with the Mail pattern-buffer trick. So we work around that by storing these special tribbles on our BOffs. However, we now have two tribbles (the Fleet and Mol'Rihan tribbles) that are strangely bound to our character in such a way that we can only keep them on our Captain or in our active Inventory/Bank. Perhaps Cryptic could remove that "Character only"-bind so we can put them on our BOffs?

True... I keep forgetting about that detail.

For little fluffballs that don't appear to move around a lot, though, they were amazingly adept at getting into places where they weren't wanted.

I fully support the idea of tribble/pet storage in a separate inventory tab as well as the idea of multiple bank tabs in general.

But I think there should be a small chance that any given tribble could manage to "get loose" into another repository occupied by food (from one bank tab to another, or from one inventory tab to another) while the character is active. Only those tribbles that are "equipped" would be guaranteed to stay put.

I would also propose that our character personal equipment UI ought to have a dedicated slot for pets (such as tribbles, hortas, targs, etc) apart from the device slots. We shouldn't have to give up a device slot to carry a tribble.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    tepis wrote: »
    It would be neat if we could have a storage system and display case we could put in our ready room, like the aquarium. It would look neat and also provide a separate place to store them...
    Having an actual, in-game, display for our tribbles would be fantastic, I agree.
    bluegeek wrote: »
    ...I fully support the idea of tribble/pet storage in a separate inventory tab as well as the idea of multiple bank tabs in general.

But I think there should be a small chance that any given tribble could manage to "get loose" into another repository occupied by food (from one bank tab to another, or from one inventory tab to another) while the character is active. Only those tribbles that are "equipped" would be guaranteed to stay put...
    Thanks for the full support Bluegeek. And I'd be all about some sort of "escape proc" that would keep us on our toes and keep Tribble Breeding a "hazardous sport". Something like the "failure proc" on the Excelsior's Transwarp... Sometimes it fails and there's a funny "car break down" sound effect, similar to what was heard in the movie when Scotty sabotages the Excel.

So yeah, I'm right there with you. :D

• Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've had to get around these problems by putting the Tribbles in the bank and the food in my inventory. meaning that half of my inventory is food.

Because of this, I've simply given up on Tribbles and slowly fed them to my cannibal :(, who has the responsibility of keeping the inventory clear of his cousins. He's very good, only one has managed to eat something since I got him.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I personally would like to see a system similar to TOR's where you got a storage list of pets and you click to turn them on / off. And you do not lose any inventory space in the process.
    Guild Wars 2 has a great system storing pets (and crafting materials).

One of those "wave of the future" type designs.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Guild Wars 2 has a great system storing pets (and crafting materials).

One of those "wave of the future" type designs.

Pet's definitely happens to be one of STO's weak points.
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've never cared much for the Tribbles myself, but this is a pretty interesting idea.

I mean if people want to spend their game time farming tribbles in a fishtank... who am I to tell them no? Go forth young man.

I would like to see it be a GPL purchase. I think there should be more to do with that currency and there's room for expansion there. "Goofy things that more or less don't change the core game" is what it was supposed to be about I guess, and this would seem to qualify.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ...I would like to see it be a GPL purchase. I think there should be more to do with that currency and there's room for expansion there. "Goofy things that more or less don't change the core game" is what it was supposed to be about I guess, and this would seem to qualify.
    I concur 100%. :)

• Options
    edited March 2013
    While thinking about about Alan the Cowboy (aka "The May Update"), I have the following thoughts/concerns/hopes:

1) I presume there will be another test tribble. If there is one, Devs please do not lock this one to the character (ie unable to be held by BOffs) like the Fleet and Mol'Rihan tribbles.

2) Considering there will be trait and other UI updates during Alan the Cowboy, I hope the Devs can remove the lock on the existing S6 & S7 tribbles to allow them to be held by our BOffs as all previous test tribbles.

3) While you're tinkering with the UI, please consider adding the Tribble Terrarium and/or some other form of bank partitioning (similar to Fleet Banks) to allows us multiple zones to store our existing tribbles away from foodstuffs.

Thanks.

• Options
    valdescaavaldescaa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Edited to add a picture of JPJappic's Tribble Terrarium. This is a sample of what the interface could look like, including a "bank" space, information on a given, selected tribble, and separate breeding slots.

:)

Nice Thanks for post ,
    the pic looks nice as a mini game and plug and play stuff would be nice,
    it can be placed on ship and changed to the active each time yo change, and have a device to wheel them. liem bank or computer.
    Time Zone Spain. GMT +2. I'm not English, so try to understand my texts from the context.Thanks. Acolade Complete: Discontinuing Payment.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    valdescaa wrote: »
    Nice Thanks for post , the pic looks nice as a mini game and plug and play stuff would be nice...
    You're welcome. I agree. I think having a Tribble Terrarium (or the like) would enhance the existing tribble breeding "mini-game", especially if they added DOff assignments to maintain the Terrarium (failure results in ship debuff), improve breeding (allow skips in the line or even create different/new versions, perhaps like a vanity pet tribble), etc.