test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tribble Terrarium / Storage

lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
Way back in September of 2010, a player named JPJappic introduced an idea to the forums called the Tribble Terrarium. Others before, and have since, thought up a similar idea, which is basically: This game needs a separate storage for tribbles.

JPJappic's idea went further, making the the Terrarium into a sort of mini-game, where tribble breeding could be controlled and coordinated, where your tribbles could be displayed for other players, etc. And this would be fantastic, but even just having a separate bank to store them would be great.

For those that don't know, there is a Tribble Breeding "mini-game" within STO. It's really sort of a form of crafting, and can be fun. Hey, don't look at me like that, *I* enjoyed it anyway, and so have others. You can check out the wiki for more information.

By my count, there are thirty-eight breeds of tribble in this game (plus two consumable tribble "food" items, and one "commodity" item). Twenty-six of them are "basic" types that anyone can get through normal breeding/feeding methods, but twleve are "premium" tribbles that can only be obtained through special means (testing rewards, missions, Z-store, etc.).

Because of the inherent traits of tribbles to eat any food in their presence, their storage can be difficult. In the past I could store my extra tribbles in the transporter buffer (ie, the Mail), but that only worked for basic tribbles. Most premium tribbles are bound, and have to be stored in the device slots of commissioned bridge officers. But now there are (two) tribbles that for some reason are specifically bound to character in such a way to prevent that, meaning I have to carry it around. Not only do I have to worry about tribbles eating the food from my inventory, I have to worry about them eating up slots themselves!

Devs in the past, including Dstahl and Geko have both commented they'd love to see some sort of Tribble Terrarium. I think it's time this comes to pass.

Many people, myself included, would happily pay EC, GPL, or even Zen to be able to unlock such a storage area. It could be something conveniently accessible as another option on any Bank Console menu (preferred), or perhaps more appropriately only from a ship's interior (in the Science Lab, for instance). Ideally it would have at least 40 cells (to account for one of each of the 38 existing species, plus two extras), and be expandable for future release. I think it should be a "stasis" location, where tribbles don't breed (or eat each other, in the case of cannibals). Extra features/cells for controlled breeding (or feeding) could be added (possibly as an unlockable expense, or maybe DOff mission!). Likewise an ability to "display" our Tribble collection somewhere (for other players to see) could be a future function.

What I'm looking for now doesn't have to have fancy, just be a safe place where all tribbles can find home (and by all, I mean the Fleet and Mol'Rihan tribbles too!).

Thanks!

Edited to add a picture of JPJappic's Tribble Terrarium. This is a sample of what the interface could look like, including a "bank" space, information on a given, selected tribble, and separate breeding slots.

:)

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    We really do need a place to store our pets now, if you put all the pets together with a fully expanded bank, they take up a good 1/4th of it.

While you can store the majority of tribbles on BOFFs, you can't with Non-Combat pets like Targs, Sehlats, Epohhs, and your various fleet of space pets.

I personally would like to see a system similar to TOR's where you got a storage list of pets and you click to turn them on / off. And you do not lose any inventory space in the process.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    We really do need a place to store our pets now, if you put all the pets together with a fully expanded bank, they take up a good 1/4th of it...
    I appreciate the comments, but I think you meant to comment in my Pet UI thread.

:D

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I concur that a controlled area for Tribble breeding and storage would be a great idea - I've touched on this in the ship interior revamp proposal centersolace and I are writing (see sig)
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    sumghai wrote: »
    I concur that a controlled area for Tribble breeding and storage would be a great idea - I've touched on this in the ship interior revamp proposal centersolace and I are writing (see sig)

Hmmmmm..... perhaps the Hydroponics Bay could have this type of functionality off to one side?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Putting the Tribble Terrarium in the Hydroponics Bay could give it a bit of a Livestock/Farm feel to it. Especially if they added an Epohhs there. Heh.

But since we don't have such a Bay build in our Interiors, I'd still aim for the Science Room, as then we wouldn't have to wait for them to build a special room to get this feature.

Of course, they could just add the Terrarium as another menu choice at any normal Bank console:

Bank
    Account Bank
    Fleet Bank
    Tribble Bank (or Terrarium)

That would be most convenient, but I like the RP-friendly aspect of putting it inside our ship.

• Options
    tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This is a great idea. I suggest a biology lab on board ship.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I've updated the ship interior proposal by moving pet breeding in general to the Hydroponics, by setting aside a small Terrarium area within this room.

I'd imagine a number of segregated pairs or trios of inventory slots, where one could put a pet plus one or two food items in each area.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    To further improve this concept, we need storage containers or something along those lines since we are now collecting numerous items on grindworld that are taking up our inventory space in addition to tribbles, pets, equipment.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    To further improve this concept, we need storage containers or something along those lines since we are now collecting numerous items on grindworld that are taking up our inventory space in addition to tribbles, pets, equipment.
    Slightly off-topic, but the ship interior revamp proposal also includes a "cargo bay" inventory bank.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    There's no doubt the game can use additional storage all 'round, I've written some threads on that in the past that include the idea of a cargo bay for more space. We're on the same page there.

Meaning no insult to Cryptic, but considering their limited resources, I think it will be a very long time before we see another real improvement to ship interiors (honestly, I think it won't be until they can figure out a way to monetize it ;) Heh). This includes anything so fancy as a high-end Tribble Terrarium with a nice breeding UI control/interface, catalog/description database, and an in-world visual console in an existing Ship Interior room (like the Science Lab), much less in a new, currently non-existing room (like a Hydroponics Bay) and/or some sort of "display case" that others can view.

Because that's going to take (too much) time, what I'd love for Cyptic to do "immediately" is to add a generic "Tribble Only Bank" to the existing Bank interface. Even with some sort of fee attached to it (EC, GPL, Zen) I'd be happy/content.

Eventually, we can get the fancy UI, room, features, possibly DOff assignments, etc. turning Tribble Breeding it into an actual mini-game.

• Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Our fleet actually has a bank tab set up strictly to store tribbles. Since they're unbound we treat it like a library.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Our fleet actually has a bank tab set up strictly to store tribbles. Since they're unbound we treat it like a library.
    I have a "personal fleet" that has a similar tab, though I'd rather free up that tab for basic equipment.

Even so, not all tribbles are unbound, there are about a dozen special ones that are bound, some very strangely so (such as the Fleet and Mol'Rihan tribbles) that can't even be stored on BOs. And the number of bound tribbles is increasing.

• Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I agree with the OP.

I'll add that I am once again running out of room in both banks and inventory. Storage needs to be looked at all over.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Thanks Crusty. I too am (nearly) out of space.

I was just looking at my Think Geek Dispair Inc. calendar, and besides a few minor and miscellaneous events remaining this year (you know, little things like the Mayan End of the World and Christmas), guess what takes place December 29th?

The 45th Anniversary of the Tribble. That's right. Tribbles were first introduced to the world when they made their first appearance on December 29, 1967, in the now infamous TOS episode The Trouble with Tribbles.

Wouldn't it be a lovely addition to STO to get a dedicated Tribble Terrarium/Storage feature added for the anniversary? I think so.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    crusty8mac wrote: »
    I agree with the OP.

I'll add that I am once again running out of room in both banks and inventory. Storage needs to be looked at all over.

Agreed. Infinite Compact Pocket Dimension Storage Space (The Mail) isn't cutting it anymore.
  • Options
    hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Another inventory space saving measure that would be nice to have is the ability to (inertly) equip armor, shields and weapons to equipment slots. This I realized today when in a big freaking hurry I had to outfit a whole away team with environmental suits for the Tier 4 Romulan daily.

Obviously, I don't keep that many spare spacesuits on me. Just the two I wear under my uniform, really. Just in case. And I think my Bridge Officers should haul their own safety equipment around as well. Damnit Jim, I'm an admiral, not a sherpa!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    hrisvalar wrote: »
    Another inventory space saving measure that would be nice to have is the ability to (inertly) equip armor, shields and weapons to equipment slots. This I realized today when in a big freaking hurry I had to outfit a whole away team with environmental suits for the Tier 4 Romulan daily.

Obviously, I don't keep that many spare spacesuits on me. Just the two I wear under my uniform, really. Just in case. And I think my Bridge Officers should haul their own safety equipment around as well. Damnit Jim, I'm an admiral, not a sherpa!

EVA suits as secondary armor? Hmmmmm..... this needs more pondering....
  • Options
    forcardassia6forcardassia6 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Can't believe someone remembered my original thread from so long ago XD As the link to the image in the original thread doesn't work anymore (as I gave up my website) here is the link to the image.. I had to dig it up in some of my old files.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd92/JPJappic/star%20trek/tribble-terrarium-v2_zps41c7bb75.jpg

I just want to expand on this and say that we REALLY need something separate to put our Tribbles and Epohhs and other pets in... they are filling up my inventory and fast.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Can't believe someone remembered my original thread from so long ago XD As the link to the image in the original thread doesn't work anymore (as I gave up my website) here is the link to the image.. I had to dig it up in some of my old files.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd92/JPJappic/star%20trek/tribble-terrarium-v2_zps41c7bb75.jpg

I just want to expand on this and say that we REALLY need something separate to put our Tribbles and Epohhs and other pets in... they are filling up my inventory and fast.
    ForCardassia6 ne JPJappic! :eek:

Of course I remember your inspired Terrarium! :D

Even years ago when you posted that, we had a population problem with tribbles. This of course is Star Trek canon, but seeing how this is a game (and so many other aspects of ST are changed in the name of game play), I always thought a more eloquent method of dealing with the Tribble Breeding "Mini-Game" should be enacted. Your Terrarium was such a solution, and the first I'd seen that came illustrated (a jpg == 1k txts, afterall).

Thank you for your original idea and reposting your picture. That's fantastic! I've added it to my OP.

Alas your brilliant "wouldn't it be nice to have" idea from so long ago, has become much more of a necessity as, over time, we've been given more and more bound/special tribbles while simultaneously our storage is ever-presesed towards capacity with other gear, commodities, currencies, consumables, data samples, etc. "required" to play the game.

Tribbles and vanity pets, should be handled differently:

Tribbles need to take up space as they are a "device" that our characters (and their BOs) need to equip in order to use, just like any other piece of equipment. And like having different weapons avalable for a different load-out, characters can likewise have an "arsenal" of mission/enemy-specific tribbles. I just think (as this thread confers) that when not in-use, tribbles require a dedicated storage space. This would make for controlled breeding and should also allow us to safely store the strangely-bound Fleet and Mol'Rihan tribbles.

Vanity Pets, such as Epohhs, being only a cosmetic affectation should only remain an item up until "claimed" or "activated" by a given account/character, at which point they should become a "button" to turn-on/off from a menu, as we change uniform appearance. I have a separate thread about that subject.

:cool:

• Options
    forcardassia6forcardassia6 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    ForCardassia6 ne JPJappic! :eek:

Of course I remember your inspired Terrarium! :D

I'm pretty sure I couldn't have my old name when the forums changed so I had to change it. I'm not very active around here anymore these days anyhow.. I still do play the game though.. more now than I did before.. I have to admit that the New Romulus stuff (despite being a bit boring sometimes) has kept me logging back in. But that's for another thread.
    Alas your brilliant "wouldn't it be nice to have" idea from so long ago, has become much more of a necessity as, over time, we've been given more and more bound/special tribbles while simultaneously our storage is ever-presesed towards capacity with other gear, commodities, currencies, consumables, data samples, etc. "required" to play the game.

Tribbles and vanity pets, should be handled differently:

Tribbles need to take up space as they are a "device" that our characters (and their BOs) need to equip in order to use, just like any other piece of equipment. And like having different weapons avalable for a different load-out, characters can likewise have an "arsenal" of mission/enemy-specific tribbles. I just think (as this thread confers) that when not in-use, tribbles require a dedicated storage space. This would make for controlled breeding and should also allow us to safely store the strangely-bound Fleet and Mol'Rihan tribbles.

Vanity Pets, such as Epohhs, being only a cosmetic affectation should only remain an item up until "claimed" or "activated" by a given account/character, at which point they should become a "button" to turn-on/off from a menu, as we change uniform appearance. I have a separate thread about that subject.

Completely agree with everything you've said here. I'm going to hazard a guess and that the reason we don't have an extra storage place yet for our tribbles or pets is because it would take up more database room.. and from my understanding of things is that as it is, there's already quite a bit of stuff in the database for each character. Not saying it's impossible to do.. just could be why we haven't seen it yet. Hopefully we can get something one day though. I doubt we're the only people having inventory problems nowadays.
  • Options
    hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    EVA suits as secondary armor? Hmmmmm..... this needs more pondering....

If you will, I really just meant (and would've been clearer saying) device slots. Considering people use their bridge officers as mules for all sorts of things already anyway, why not have them carry their own EV suits, or melee weapon, for when the circumstances require them and the nearest bank or exchange is a bit out of the way. In my mind, you'd still have to drag them out of the device slots, and drop them in their armor slots, to get them to work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    ...Completely agree with everything you've said here...
    Thanks!

:cool:

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Adding my voice to this chorus...

Please Cryptic, give us a separate place to store our Tribbles/Pets.

Anything at this point would be helpful and appreciated.

:)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited December 2012

I was just looking at my Think Geek Dispair Inc. calendar, and besides a few minor and miscellaneous events remaining this year (you know, little things like the Mayan End of the World and Christmas), guess what takes place December 29th?

The 45th Anniversary of the Tribble. That's right. Tribbles were first introduced to the world when they made their first appearance on December 29, 1967, in the now infamous TOS episode The Trouble with Tribbles.

Wouldn't it be a lovely addition to STO to get a dedicated Tribble Terrarium/Storage feature added for the anniversary? I think so.

Yes, Puh-Leeze! I remember the original Tribble Terrarium post and idea, and I wanted it then, too. Amazing the amount of stuff one has to micro-manage in this game. I'd love to have a way to have more than 5 empty spaces in my inventory due to all the character-bound items and Tribbles.

Early on, I bred all the Tribbles, and now I would love to collect all the Epohhs, but there's just no inventory space. Also agree that a dedicated interface with all the bells and whistles would be great, but probably not quick or easy. I would gladly "settle" for a bank tab for now.

Aliella Hawklight, Divine Oracle Devoted Cleric
    "Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

DaiMon Moogie, U.S.S. Acquisition
    Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It really is getting to the point Cryptic does need to do something.

As I said before, I would like a system like TOR with a side inventory that you can click to summon the pet you want. And with STO a Tribble listing would be helpful, like when it comes to the Fleet Events in having to scramble to find a tribble for the NPCs. Gamma for Dominion, Undine Tribble when facing the undine, etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    It really is getting to the point Cryptic does need to do something.

As I said before, I would like a system like TOR with a side inventory that you can click to summon the pet you want. And with STO a Tribble listing would be helpful, like when it comes to the Fleet Events in having to scramble to find a tribble for the NPCs. Gamma for Dominion, Undine Tribble when facing the undine, etc.

I just got the Winter Event Tribble..... and I just realized how many cooing furballs I have.... :eek:
  • Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I just got the Winter Event Tribble..... and I just realized how many cooing furballs I have.... :eek:

I find that if you leave out some Baked Tribble that problem fixes itself.

Oh wait, did you actually want to KEEP those tribbles? Never mind what I said then. :P
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Oh wait, did you actually want to KEEP those tribbles? Never mind what I said then. :P

Well... I certainly intend on keeping them. :P
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    ...a Tribble listing would be helpful, like when it comes to the Fleet Events in having to scramble to find a tribble for the NPCs. Gamma for Dominion, Undine Tribble when facing the undine, etc.
    No doubt! It would awesome if I could just visit my ship's interior and walk over to my Tribble Terrarium (or if set up as a bank, go to a Bank station), and there would be my Tribbles, stored and labeled as any self-respecting Vulcan Xenobiologist would have them so detailed and categorized.

It's good to consider the "gearing-up" help such organization would bring.
    There's a lot, isn't there!?

I LOL'd and I'm sure you're comments are just intended as humor, but you do realize that that doesn't resolve the problem because that only leads to Cannibal Tribbles, which will eat "basic" tribbles, but not "special" tribbles (like the Winter Tribble). And then you've still got a lot of Cannibals and now stacks of Carcasses lying around...

...Just saying. ;)

• Options
    dm19deltadm19delta Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This is a great idea, because I'm tired of those damn tribbles eating my stuff and taking my bank and inventory slots. It's a real pain when I'm in the middle of an elite STF, I think I have a few inventory slots open to get a nice loot drop, only to get the "inventory full" message and open the inventory to discover those slots are taken up by tribbles. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't have a seperate storage area for them.