Install Arc
Options

Tribble Terrarium / Storage

13»

Comments

• Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Maybe an alternative to a tribble terrarium would be a tribble inhibitor- an item that you can put in your inventory, and either activate or deactivate, and it just puts any tribbles in that container in stasis until it is deactivated.
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    azniadeet wrote: »
    Maybe an alternative to a tribble terrarium would be a tribble inhibitor- an item that you can put in your inventory, and either activate or deactivate, and it just puts any tribbles in that container in stasis until it is deactivated.
    Nice idea. It doesn't solve the storage problem (ie lack thereof), but as a method of allowing tribbles to share existing space, I like it. /vote +1

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    russellcarussellca Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You're welcome. I agree. I think having a Tribble Terrarium (or the like) would enhance the existing tribble breeding "mini-game", especially if they added DOff assignments to maintain the Terrarium (failure results in ship debuff), improve breeding (allow skips in the line or even create different/new versions, perhaps like a vanity pet tribble), etc.

ForCardassia6's concept art is stunning. Moreover with 2 active breeding lines at one time you can see where it might be transposable over to the reputation system. In effect trading the ease of a dedicated UI for a slightly 'kludgier' experience but with maximum code reuse (therefore attractive to Cryptic - this must be a key aspect if we are ever to see this much needed feature come about!!). The tribble contribution would be returned but the food contribution consumed and removed in the usual fashion.

Alternatively for even better gameplay consistency (**) recycle the doff assignment approach used in epohh and Risian bird raising, with or without an initiating NPC conversation (although there's potential in the former case for a pairing with a visible terrarium. Rather than hydroponics bay, I like the idea of one in the corner of the, currently largely deserted, crew mess deck with a few NPCs in nearby chairs petting tribbles. Thus providing a nod to their first appearance in Star Trek)

As either approach can already locate and retrieve items from your bank or inventory, a dedicated tab-accessed page would be nice but for minimum new effort, simply change to avoid breeding in those locations. Cryptic may even rack in more cash, with players investing in additional bank slots (remember must be attractive to them!).

(**) ship sensor scan / tricorder scan / mining target reticle lock - a form of scanning as those veins run within the dilithium; is the gold standard here for: same basic task = variant of same minigame UI and dynamics);