test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scheduled Maintenance (January 3, 2013)

Comments

• anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The observant user, would have noticed both the "It's just a shutdown->Cooldown->Perhaps a lil new hardware->Reboot" Message, with the interesting comment "Theres not patch, so hence nothing that has influence on your system" on top of the forums.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    puttenham wrote: »
    why does he like to play tic tac toe with the anouncement.. would be nice if he just put it in the gd release notes thread, where everyone goes to look for it.. lol... its like a scavenger hunt every time...

It's in the News Network thread, the very first thread of the forums.
    Which means you have to ignore:
    Federation News Network - which tells everyone there will be maintentance
    Release Notes - which would have patch notes info if there is any
    Dev Tracker - which shows every post devs make, which includes Scheduled maintenance
    and patch notes
    Sto Academy
    general Discussion

So you have to bypass three thread that have the info to get GD.

Just make a shortcut to the Dev Tracker thread, and don't be left out on ANY of the Dev posts or information.
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • milestfoxmilestfox Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    We still have that crashing driver issue from Season 7 that messes with out graphics cards. I can't get on the game with that issue and many others have the problem as well.

Please look into fixing it, I want to get back to playing. I had to miss out on the Winter Event because of the stupid issue. :(

I found a fix for it through sheer serendipity, when it started to bite me after installing an updated NVidia graphics driver for my GTX 560:

Turn on teamspeak, load the 'overlay' plugin, before you start the game.

I have no idea why it works, but it does, and allows me to load the game past the launcher.
    fadmbambam wrote: »
    Yea... a lot of us have been complaining about this. While it's affecting the Intel GPU the worst, it's also causing problems with ATI & NVidia cards too.
    I do not consider Intel graphics a 'gpu'. It is basic graphics meant for internet browsing and business applications. Not for gaming. Please try to put a real graphics card in your system before complaining about graphics issues.
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i dont comb the forum every day looking to see if an announcement has been posted to a random thread. i instead look in the release notes subforum, which is where i expect to find such a thing, whether it concerns a 'patch' or 'maintenance'.

Hmmmm, Maintenance announcements always posted to the Federation news Network subforum. Release Notes always posted in the section clearly marked "release notes" ....
    Yes, yes ... I see how this logical placement of announcements, always in the exact same place every week confuses people.

No wait, I don't.

As I just stated.
    Every Week.
    Announcements in the same (very logical) place.

How are people having trouble finding these things ?

Oh and I want to agree with Kirian here.
    Conspiricy Theory was a very enjoyable movie.

I'm absolutely certain that this maitenance is FULL to BURSTING with " lots of clandestine nerfing and whatnot."

Not wait, I'm not.
  • kirkryderkirkryder Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well this is the 2nd time now that maintenance is going on with no release notes online for us to gasp in joy at to read and love and see the game is being updated for all of us to enjoy...

I left out commas on purpose, the anger does that to me...

I once tried to do more than just 2 lines and boy that was hard, really hard!!!

Anyway I know you are all still on joliday! See what I did there 2 words together, fabtastic!

Oh again sorry about that, anyway it would be nice if the release notes were up so we can see what you are, breaking and fixing, lets face it people 2 fixes relates to 4 breaks in game... Some are a benefit so we dont want to complain to much...

Anyway happy jolidays, yes again and could we have a link for the patch notes please...

Cheers!

Kirk

Oh maybe Brandon is on holiday, as he always posts on time. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.EliteDefenseStarfleet.com
    Best fleet in Star Trek Online...
    We even have our own merchandise!!! Come join us today...
    www.cafepress.com/elitedefensestarfleet
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    They're always posted in the top forum called "Federation News Network"...
  • kirkryderkirkryder Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    thanks mate should have read the post below!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.EliteDefenseStarfleet.com
    Best fleet in Star Trek Online...
    We even have our own merchandise!!! Come join us today...
    www.cafepress.com/elitedefensestarfleet
  • elandarkskyelandarksky Member Posts: 1,013 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    angarus1 wrote: »
    They're always posted in the top forum called "Federation News Network"...

Kinda wish they would rename it to 'STO news network' more then the feds who need to know these things ;(
    [Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.
  • cmdvanderjagtcmdvanderjagt Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    They didn't fix any bugs in the last 2 weeks because they were ON VACATION! IT'S THE HOLIDAYS! LET THEM SEE THEIR FAMILIES!!!!!
  • dennizenxdennizenx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ya no, I get that there is no patch, I just mean in general about the exchange, does anyone know, is there a link to anything about it ?
  • fadmbambamfadmbambam Member Posts: 656 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    milestfox wrote: »
    I do not consider Intel graphics a 'gpu'. It is basic graphics meant for internet browsing and business applications. Not for gaming. Please try to put a real graphics card in your system before complaining about graphics issues.
    #1 - While you may not consider the Intel graphics a GPU, STO does and says it's supported. It worked fine through Season 6 (although definitely not at high quality.)

#2 - I use very high end GPUs (>$500) on my big computers and have both ATI & NVidia. Both of these computers have the same symptoms - just not as bad as the Intel.

PWE has acknowledged that there's an issue - they just haven't fixed it.
  • indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Thank you for the suggestion about the FNN. I wasn't checking that.
  • aftershock98aftershock98 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I just want to say A) since I joined this game I haven't been on any of my other games cos I've wanted to play this, B) I didn't know where else to ask the question in part C, and C) Is it ok if I record a let's play of this but have links to the forums and the download area, giving all thanks to you guys and everything, because I searched on youtube and couldn't find a decent video. I await for your reply (preferably in a private message if possible!).

TruNobody(aftershock98)
    No matter how many times they try, the Borg will NOT assimilate my sandwich :mad:
  • kerrilyn1kerrilyn1 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2013

While I agree that Intel GMA systems aren't really fit for gaming*, it should still work as long as it meets minimum requirements.

The game should not crash in any case; if the requirements aren't met, it should say so and exit cleanly. If they are met, it should run, even if it's at a slideshow framerate.

The only exception would be is if there's a driver fault. That would be Intel's job to fix. That would be unlikely though if it also affects nVidia and ATI cards~ mog~

* - very, very, VERY not fit for gaming.
  • alaskantruckeralaskantrucker Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    They didn't fix any bugs in the last 2 weeks because they were ON VACATION! IT'S THE HOLIDAYS! LET THEM SEE THEIR FAMILIES!!!!!

we live in a "me me me" world now. ppl on here dont care about others and them seeing their families for the holidays. its sad. i am glad they took the time off. it will help them in their personal lives and they will prolly come back sharper then if they had stayed. u do something for to long and u get burned out on it so u dont think clearly. i think they should take a cpl weeks off every quarter and just b with families. just my opinion.
    edited January 2013
    fadmbambam wrote: »
    #1 - While you may not consider the Intel graphics a GPU, STO does and says it's supported. It worked fine through Season 6 (although definitely not at high quality.)

#2 - I use very high end GPUs (>$500) on my big computers and have both ATI & NVidia. Both of these computers have the same symptoms - just not as bad as the Intel.

PWE has acknowledged that there's an issue - they just haven't fixed it.

True, STO says it is supported, making that statement before launch time, since then there have been significant changes in Intel's graphics architecture.
    It does work without issue on my laptop, which does have Intel 965 Graphics. I never go into PvP on my laptop though, as that would be suicide.
    I've heard of many games that do run on this older graphics chip, having issues with the integrated graphics in the i5/i7/etc.

I'm merely stating that you shouldn't EXPECT it to work, just because it worked in the past.
    While STO does have timeships, unfortunately the developers themselves have no access to time travel.

Edit: Kerrilyn does have a good point there, about graceful exits upon failure. It shouldn't just 'vanish' from the screen. As it is, I highly reccomend trying the fix I found. Install TeamSpeak 3 and start the 'overlay' plugin. You do not have to be connected to a server, it just works.
  • calbie13478calbie13478 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    this stinks
    edited January 2013
    this stinks

Congratulations on your first post to this forum!
    May you make many contributions in the future.
  • fadmbambamfadmbambam Member Posts: 656 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    True, STO says it is supported, making that statement before launch time, since then there have been significant changes in Intel's graphics architecture.
    It does work without issue on my laptop, which does have Intel 965 Graphics.
    I've heard of many games that do run on this older graphics chip, having issues with the integrated graphics in the i5/i7/etc.

I'm merely stating that you shouldn't EXPECT it to work, just because it worked in the past.
    While STO does have timeships, unfortunately the developers themselves have no access to time travel.

As long as PWE says it's supported, then we SHOULD expect it to work. (PWE's own website - http://sto.perfectworld.com/download - shows the minimum requirements.) If PWE wants to change those requirements, they can, but until then, we EXPECT the software to work on machines that meet the specifications and not just crash like it's got some virus.

And like I said, people (including me) are experiencing this on very high-end ATI & NVidia GPUs.)
    edited January 2013
    And what I'm telling you, is that more modern things have come along with the same name as what they specified. What cryptic then, called Intel Graphics, is not what is now, called Intel Graphics. Not in all cases.

This would be like a company saying their product, made when the model T was new, required 'An Automobile'.. and customers complaining that it quit working when they went faster than 88mph.

Cryptic made their statement, and it was completely valid at that time.

I guess your root complaint is that they have not kept up with their testing of new graphics cards so as to add a disclaimer saying 'Intel HD Graphics (excepting blah blah ones made recently)'.
    edited January 2013
    Ah, that. I've explained (in my first post), the fix for the crash I've seen recently. It is a temporary solution at best, but you should try it. If it fixes it for you, then happydancetime. If not, then complain to Cryptic.

You're picking at a topic unrelated to the crash.
  • nemorimenemorime Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    maintenance is over?
    edited January 2013
    Not till branflakes says so, but it is 'scheduled' to be finished around 12:00 EST, in 11 minutes.
    edited January 2013
    Mmmm bacon.
  • admiralmurkadmiralmurk Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    whats the chances it will last longer than the 2 hours? :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    wbgron1 wrote: »
    Brandon...Just for my own curiosity can you give me the Spec of the server/s you use for STO etc??

CPU:
    RAM:
    HDD:

you know the basics and do any of the servers run VMWare?

A wild guess would be they are running multiple Oracle DB RAC clusters under a tier-1 supported platform, probably RHEL or Oracle Linux.

If they are using any form of VM hosts, it's likely to be Oracle's to maintain tier-1 support, but I doubt they are even doing so on a system with such a heavy load. You usually only virtualize DB servers when you want to run lots of small DBs on a small hardware footprint, which is not likely to apply to a big MMO like this.

For hardware, I would guess multitudes of HP, Dell or IBM blade servers with Intel procs with as few cores as possible per blade to keep licensing costs down. RAM is likely as much as the blades will hold, likely 128 or 256 gigs per blade. Storage is almost certainly some sort of SAN array from a major vendor like EMC, Hiachi or IBM.

It's possible that they have gone big and are using IBM mainframes running AIX, but for the most part people are moving away from that to cut costs.

Just to finish this off, I doubt you will ever get an answer from the team about this. You hardly ever hear an enterprise-level company giving out hardware specs to its users.
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    this stinks

http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/12/4/14/LMkleGFgC0O8rKQEuoINBA2.jpg

Stop hanging out in toilets then.
    edited January 2013
    @admiralmurk: whats the chances it will last longer than the 2 hours?

50%. It will happen or it won't.
  • voiceoftemprusvoiceoftemprus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    100% since it is already more than 2 hours. ;)

EDIT: And I am now in.
    "CO once had devs, but they all fled to STO and NW because they feared Caliga." -matixzon
This discussion has been closed.