test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scheduled Maintenance (January 3, 2013)

Comments

• devorasxdevorasx Member Posts: 693
    edited January 2013

Brandon has already said that the normal patching schedule should resume as of next week. Take him at his word and leave it at that.

Cryptic: Season x aka every season we will revamp and fix pvp.

Update x came and passed. Was there a change and revamp of pvp? No, they choose to do nothing and gave up.

Taking Cryptics words, pardon me, is rather hard and naiv. Their trust is like the US goverment handeling the fiscal scliff. Non-exsistent, slim at best.

edit: season bla bla bla.
    Co-founder of The Spanish Inquisition TSI - Cause no one expects it!

PaxOttomana: gawd mirror event is like fighting a tsi premade, they keep comin and comin!
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 924 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    devorasx wrote: »
    Cryptic: Season 8 we will revamp and fix pvp.

Update 8 came and passed. Was there a change and revamp of pvp? No, they choose to do nothing and gave up.

Taking Cryptics words, pardon me, is rather hard and naiv. Their trust is like the US goverment handeling the fiscal scliff. Non-exsistent, slim at best.

I seriously don't think Brandon, of ALL the staff, would outright lie to the players...and please, for the love of anything remotely holy or whatnot, don't bring politics into this.

FYI: Season 8 hasn't arrived. Unless you're somehow in possession of clairvoyance or a crystal ball that the rest of us aren't aware of.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    devorasx wrote: »
    Cryptic: Season 8 we will revamp and fix pvp.

Update 8 came and passed. Was there a change and revamp of pvp? No, they choose to do nothing and gave up.

You actually think Season 8 has come and passed? Oh my god... -_-
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 924 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    trek21 wrote: »
    You actually think Season 8 has come and passed? Oh my god... -_-

Yes, I know, and he's laying into Cryptic for being imperfect....their last post also lit up my spell-checker like a Christmas tree.

Something comes to mind about glass houses and stones.

Anyway, most P2P games don't get an patch every week....some F2P games don't either, so be thankful that the devs care enough to patch the game on a somewhat regular basis.

Who cares if they miss a week or two? Oh wait....

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for the info, Brandon.
    Hope you lot have enjoyed your holidays.

So far as other things mentioned in this thread.
    If a game gets you as worked up as some in this thread seem to have gotten,
    then it is time to turn off the game, call a friend, and hang out doing something ...
    anything else for awhile.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Without us Fans or fan boys and girls as was called LOL... There wouldn't be a player base that would stick with this game if there was never any Star Trek :) Most of gripes we have is about getting all the basics for the current factions put into the game and then the ones we don't have as well.
  • darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    hippiejon wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, Brandon.
    Hope you lot have enjoyed your holidays.

So far as other things mentioned in this thread.
    If a game gets you as worked up as some in this thread seem to have gotten,
    then it is time to turn off the game, call a friend, and hang out doing something ...
    anything else for awhile.

+1. (Better if you play AND see friends. I try to do both.)
  • mrlizardomrlizardo Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I haven't seen the red Phone (aka system announcement) stating the servers are shutting down for maintenance yet. It's 3 minutes to 10 here. Is the maintenance being delayed again?

edit: Oops, never mind. There it is.
    sarkasmo_by_spacepope13-d9rcbjs.jpg

"You seem to have gotten some of your blood in my raktajino. This is unfortunate."
  • imadoctornotaimadoctornota Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    From the above:

:)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Hahaha! I was about to say the same thing! lol That made my siggy! :D
    Thanks for the expansion that had "as much content as the last"
    9 Episodes = 30+ episodes...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's pronounced "S.T.O." "Stow" sounds idiotic! lol
  • romeowhiskey4romeowhiskey4 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    So.... let me get this right... No patch, no patch notes, STO players with patience and understanding? Well... 2 out of 3 ain't bad...
  • rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Personally I thank the Dev-Team for this two hours... means I HAVE to get of my back side and tidy the flat lol

Keep up the work guys :)
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • imadoctornotaimadoctornota Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Seriously guys. They're 50ish people trying to appease the most notoriously finicky and fickle fanboys and girls of all time.

Give them their damned break. :P

I will fourth that lol And made a slight correction in light of Branny's comment ;)
    Thanks for the expansion that had "as much content as the last"
    9 Episodes = 30+ episodes...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's pronounced "S.T.O." "Stow" sounds idiotic! lol
    edited January 2013
    So.... let me get this right... No patch, no patch notes, STO players with patience and understanding? Well... 2 out of 3 ain't bad...

I think it's only like one or two people with no patience or understanding.
    Most of the replies in this thread seem geared toward "It's the holidays, this is understandable, you ragey jokers are all just kooky, crazy whackadoos." or something along those lines.

I'm going to have to say based on your criteria, we're pulling a 3 out of 3 so far today.
    We rock :)
  • fadmbambamfadmbambam Member Posts: 656 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm trying to figure out what they're maintaining? Bugs?

How long has the Exchange's search been broken? I know longer than I've been a member, and I'm getting close to being here a year.
    edited January 2013
    fadmbambam wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out what they're maintaining? Bugs?

This would be for maintaining the servers. Wiping unneeded flotsam out of the system. If they didn't do this periodically the game would slowly grind to a halt. It's normally done while patching updates. No updates , so just send in the scrub bots and begin maintenance.

They do this every week.
    It just a reboot... like Windows.... runs like TRIBBLE after a while. Besides patching... All MMO's need a maintenance window. Lots of stuff to clean out. The company I work for serves many fortune 500 and 100 companies in the Litigation Support industry and we take a regular weekly outage as well... you have to... run archives, clean out temp tables... all kinds of stuff. If not, performance grinds to a halt or things just stop working.

... or what he said.
  • baroness1980baroness1980 Member Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I wish we had a dev team like this back on CO.

I enjoy both games but consider CO my home after the closing of CoH (mainly cause I'm more invested in that genre)

Always look forward and keep improving guys.:)
  • resistance9resistance9 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    There's a awful lot of whining and crying going on. Lets put it all in perspective, this is a free game, free to download, free to play, and if you don't mind going without the vet abils you can do anything and gain any ship/item...for free. In light of this, the fact that 50 people can run a FREE game that works as well as this one does I think we should cut them some slack give them a break, and let them do what they continue to do, provide us free entertainment.
  • indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I enjoy reading about updates and fixes to the system, so I am disappointed when they do maintenance and nothing is announced. Nothing has been posted since December 21st. Any idea why?
    edited January 2013
    hippiejon wrote: »
    This would be for maintaining the servers. Wiping unneeded flotsam out of the system. If they didn't do this periodically the game would slowly grind to a halt. It's normally done while patching updates. No updates , so just send in the scrub bots and begin maintenance.

They do this every week.

... or what he said.

I'm very familiar with server maintenance - I'm an IT Director and have a lot of servers to maintain. (I just do it differently.)

My point was that PWE doesn't seem to make fixing bugs a priority - we've been dealing with the same bugs for months without resolution. I have a hard time getting them to respond to open tickets. It's past time for the PWE Devs to do a "Bug Bash."
  • captainamericaxcaptainamericax Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    We still have that crashing driver issue from Season 7 that messes with out graphics cards. I can't get on the game with that issue and many others have the problem as well.

Please look into fixing it, I want to get back to playing. I had to miss out on the Winter Event because of the stupid issue. :(
    "The Easiest Day, was Yesterday"
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    well firstly, i hate it.. brandon should release something stating why the shard is down everytime.. even if it is just maintnace.. i mean everytime threads open up asking whats being changed, it would take ten seconds to come on and announce that there is no patch, just maintnence..

to answer the second question.. it is the same reason we get bugs that never get fixed, and sub par content at best.. incompetance.. not to jump on the lets beet on cryptic wagon, but one thing they have been consistant at is running this buisness as poorly as possible.. this is just one of the many examples...
  • darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    indyshark wrote: »
    I enjoy reading about updates and fixes to the system, so I am disappointed when they do maintenance and nothing is announced. Nothing has been posted since December 21st. Any idea why?

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=7327251#post7327251
    notes posted yesterday.
    you sir, are a Ninja. *kudos*
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i do hate it.
    i reckon the do it because for whatever reason they dont want to admit to whatever changes have been made in recent weeks. probably lots of clandestine nerfing and whatnot.
  • kerrilyn1kerrilyn1 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    wbgron1 wrote: »
    Brandon...Just for my own curiosity can you give me the Spec of the server/s you use for STO etc??

CPU:
    RAM:
    HDD:

you know the basics and do any of the servers run VMWare?

Something tells me the OS is Windows Server 2008~~~
  • darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited January 2013
    Might want to go back and reread the maintenance announcement again, it clearly states no patch for this week like last week,
    I should not need to give you the reason why, and I really hope you are being sarcastic...... ;)
  • darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i do hate it.
    i reckon the do it because for whatever reason they dont want to admit to whatever changes have been made in recent weeks. probably lots of clandestine nerfing and whatnot.

Conspiracy Theory. good movie.
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    why does he like to play tic tac toe with the anouncement.. would be nice if he just put it in the gd release notes thread, where everyone goes to look for it.. lol... its like a scavenger hunt every time...
    edited January 2013
    We still have that crashing driver issue from Season 7 that messes with out graphics cards. I can't get on the game with that issue and many others have the problem as well.

Please look into fixing it, I want to get back to playing. I had to miss out on the Winter Event because of the stupid issue. :(

Yea... a lot of us have been complaining about this. While it's affecting the Intel GPU the worst, it's also causing problems with ATI & NVidia cards too.

And PWE knew of the issue before they released Season 7, but chose to release it anyway.
  • dennizenxdennizenx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Is there any reason the exchange is broken or is it intentional. I have erased characters and lost a ton of energy credits. Dix. ;p
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i dont comb the forum every day looking to see if an announcement has been posted to a random thread. i instead look in the release notes subforum, which is where i expect to find such a thing, whether it concerns a 'patch' or 'maintenance'.
This discussion has been closed.