What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 7 Update! More Changes Inbound! Posted Nov 20, 2012

Comments

• Options
    yakumosmithyakumosmith Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Unless the Devs work weekends, having a patch on a Friday is just asking for trouble.
  • Options
    blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Hey Everyone,

We have chosen to delay the release of this update by one day, so it will go live on the 30th instead of the 29th. Our software gurus have resolved an issue that will allow us to turn private queues back on and we want an extra day to make sure we can get it up and running properly for everyone this weekend.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Salami Inferno

This is great to know - as others have said, better to wait one more day than crash and burn over the weekend.

I wish that there was an announcement by BranFlakes that alerts those of us who actually know about Thursday patching, though.

It was only by chance I happened to find this post, while looking for the patch notes and scanning through the Fed News Network forum. There was nothing easily found. Not all of us read every new post every day - and with the weird way the site updates your "read" threads anyway, almost impossible to catch the notice buried in such a hot thread.

In any case - thanks for the post. Much appreciated. :)

Aliella Hawklight, Divine Oracle Devoted Cleric
    "Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

DaiMon Moogie, U.S.S. Acquisition
    Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
  • Options
    vorga113vorga113 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Hey Everyone,

We have chosen to delay the release of this update by one day, so it will go live on the 30th instead of the 29th. Our software gurus have resolved an issue that will allow us to turn private queues back on and we want an extra day to make sure we can get it up and running properly for everyone this weekend.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Salami Inferno

Sweet Baby Jesus it's a miracle!!

Someone at Cryptic managed to apologise for something (even if they're American and can't spell apologise correctly, but lets not dwell on the little things).

Salami, can you forward your message onto Dan Stahl maybe add the heading "This is what do when things go wrong" ?
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,799 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Unless the Devs work weekends, having a patch on a Friday is just asking for trouble.

Sounds like a great excuse for some forced overtime just before the holiday season. ;)
  • Options
    stevedudemanstevedudeman Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    (even if they American and can't spell apologise correctly, but lets not dwell on the little things).

Even if they American huh?
  • Options
    lyse1lyse1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    dastahl wrote: »
    Time for a STO Season 7 Update

Greetings!

First off, Happy Holidays from the STO Team! It has been pretty hectic around here and we can't believe it has already been a week since the launch of Season 7! Before we go into the Holiday Weekend, the team and I would like to give you a status update.

Season 7 is doing great. Lots of new players are logging in. Plenty of returning players are coming back to check out the new update. Concurrency is up across the board and generally speaking the team is very proud of the work that went into this Season and we are thrilled by all of the wonderful comments about New Romulus and the new Events. You can expect more large zones like this in future Seasons.

Not everything is sunshine and roses, though. As we mentioned in previous posts, we continue to monitor the Dilithium economy reaction to the changes in Season 7 and as previously stated, we will be making some additional adjustments which we feel will address issues that have been discussed. Some of those changes are going to happen in an update tomorrow (Wednesday Nov 21) and some of them are going to happen in the following week's update on Nov 29. If we feel more changes are necessary after that, we will certainly make them because our goal is to keep the game balanced while ensuring that players are having fun. Even though we've managed to get more Dilithium into more players hands, we agree that STF runs and Dilithium have been a challenging change that needs to be addressed and we are going to continue to do so.

First up, we expect to turn Foundry play back on with tomorrow's update. This is great news for Foundry fans and anyone looking to run the Foundry Dilithium Daily mission. We expect to have Foundry editing online in the following week after we've finalized all of our mission regression testing. So far everything looks good and we are in much better shape than we were after Season 6.

Private Queues are going to remain off for another week so that we can get the cool down timers for the missions to be in synch with the cool down timers in the public queues. Once that is confirmed, we'll turn the private queues back on.

The Reputation System, including the STFs are getting some major changes over the next two weeks. Here is a rundown of what is going to happen over the next several Holodeck updates.

• Omega Conversion Crates can be opened immediately. You will no longer need to achieve T3 in Omega Fleet to open these.
    • Reputation XP Project timers are dropping from 40 hours to 20 hours across all Tiers. If you have a project in progress, it will not change, but any new projects after the update will be adjusted. We are also looking into adding the ability to drop a project.
    • All XP Reputation Projects (projects that reward progress towards your next Tier) will now grant 240 Dilithium (on average) upon completion. If you complete 4 XP Rep Projects a day, you should earn about 960 Dilithium per day from it. These are in addition to the Marks to Dilithium conversion Projects. Once you've completed a Reputation System, these XP Projects will go away, but the Marks to Dilithium conversion projects will remain.
    • Reputation Projects that convert Marks to Dilithium are being moved from unlocking at T5 to being available immediately. This allows you to convert Omega Marks and Romulan Marks to Dilithium similar to how you could trade STF items for Dilithium previously.
    • Loot drops are getting added to STF mobs as well as to bosses.
    • End of STF Loot Rolls are returning. There will once again be a chance to earn special rewards at the end of STFs or Romulan Mark events. These special rewards will be Bonus marks, Borg Neural Processors, or other items needed for Reputation rewards.
    • Reputation Advancement Projects (the ones that unlock each tier) are having their timers reduced from 1 hour to 15 mins. and we are removing Dilithium inputs from these Tier Up projects.
    • The amount of commodities needed for Romulan Reputation projects is being reduced due to the lack of drops on New Romulus. We will be adding more drops to New Romulus in the future either through enemy kills or daily missions.
    • All Reputation Projects are being changed so that you need to claim the reward upon completion. This puts it in line with how Duty Officer assignments work so you can see the rewards you are getting from each project.

We expect all of the above changes to be live before December. A few will be live by tomorrow, with the rest live around Nov 29th.

Thank you for your patience. We realize that players have been asking for many of these changes since Season 7 first started appearing on Tribble. We feel much better about making these changes now that we have a week's worth of data on a full Shard (there were only a hundred or so players on Tribble) and are able to see how a full server load of players are interacting with the new Reputation system. We're confident that the above approach will still achieve our balance goals, while putting more of the fun back in the economy. Our end goal has always been to put more Dilithium into the hands of the average player. The above changes should help get us there and put more Dilithium back into STFs.

Season 7 is just getting started and we hope that you'll enjoy all the updates that will come with this Season. Tomorrow we are releasing the next Duty Officer pack which has been specifically tuned to help with Starbase and Embassy construction. Shortly after the Winter Event will begin around December 6th. Last year's Winter Wonderland has been updated to include new missions, a new track, new rewards, a new ship, and plenty of fun that will run through the new year.

We will also be running a full month of Feature Episode Replay where all the limited time rewards from all four series will be available all month long. So if you've got some new characters that need these special items, December is going to be your chance to catch up.

In January we'll be releasing an Andorian Ship on the Federation side to be quickly followed by the STO 3 Year Anniversary Event. This special celebration will be released with a new one-off Feature Episode. If you were at the Star Trek convention in San Francisco this last weekend, Denise Crosby would have you believe that this episode is going to be all about Tasha Yar and Sela. We'll see... anything can happen.

The anniversary event will also offer a new special free ship for both Fed and Kdf players much like we gave away the Odyssey during last year's event.

Moving into February and March we expect to have some more events to talk about and we will begin to start teasing the next Season.

So there is plenty to look forward to in Season 7 and we thank you for continuing to share your feedback and comments with us. Thank you for the both the kudos and the criticism (although some of you need to learn some manners). We get better with every season and we have you to thank for that. We do listen, and while we don't always immediately react, we do deliberate and make changes based on ideas and feedback you submit. The QA team is still crunching through all of your bug reports and we expect to have major issues ironed out soon.

MMOs are wonderful because everything can change and there is almost always a way to improve things. We will continue to grow and evolve.

Keep an eye on the patch notes for when the above changes will hit Holodeck and thank you for making STO awesome.

See you online and Happy Holidays!

Daniel Stahl
    Executive Producer
    Star Trek Online

Well we are on November 29, no patch, no changes. What is happening?
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 924 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    vorga113 wrote: »
    Sweet Baby Jesus it's a miracle!!

Someone at Cryptic managed to apologise for something (even if they're American and can't spell apologise correctly, but lets not dwell on the little things).

Salami, can you forward your message onto Dan Stahl maybe add the heading "This is what do when things go wrong" ?

Some say po-tay-to. Some say po-tah-to. And I say tater.

Seriously, can we please stop nitpicking over British and American spellings? They're two known and recognized versions of the English language and have differing spellings and in some cases differing definitions of words.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • Options
    altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    lyse1 wrote: »
    Well we are on November 29, no patch, no changes. What is happening?

Patch delayed one day according to this Dev post: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=6834741&postcount=377
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    diabolicaltroopdiabolicaltroop Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Yes, another day will not hurt, I was very frustrated running through the mountain mission 3X and doing all requirements and it not completing along with the broken Embassy fleet mark missions. So please get everything fixed and in proper operating order even if it takes a few extra days if required.:D
    KDF Ancient House of Seplch
    Dahar Master "Epitai" Kelrok son of Pok Seplch House Leader Tactical
    General Babd Grace O'Malley House Seplch Science Officer
    Fleet Admiral Quintus Savat House Seplch Tactical Officer
  • Options
    chikahirochikahiro Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Looked over the patch notes and I'm really excited! Awesome! Looks great :D

My blog! Zen|Dilithium tracking on Thursdays
    http://samonmaui.blogspot.com
    As a lifetime member of STO, I officially became a financial liability as of April 2012 when compared to a subscriber.
  • Options
    sheepxtremesheepxtreme Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
  • Options
    rjewkesrjewkes Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    My God man have some patience, 1 Day extra won't kill you.
    signature2.jpg
    galacticguards.enjin.com/
    Formerly Jewkesman Member from Nov 2009!
  • Options
    jymowardjymoward Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Since the update today, I'm hearing music I remember from playing Baldur's Gate II a few years ago. Actually several years ago.

Star Trek is not nearly the same as that sort of game.

It deserves a more hopeful inspiring music all the time.

I know its cheaper but, come on!

Star Trek deserves better.
  • Options
    jymowardjymoward Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The number of players that were earning 1440 dilithium on all of their ALTs by running simple Foundry missions (ie - click one thing on Earth Space Dock) and then selling that Dilithium to the exchange, then buying it back on their main forced us to make this change.

If you want the 1440 Dilithium from the Foundry daily - you must play a Foundry mission that "qualifies" - meaning it has to be at least 15 minutes of gameplay.

We've held off on making this change in the hopes that players would police the simple missions and have them removed - but it just didn't happen.

If we had a better solution for the Foundry daily, we would go with it - but for now - Sorry you have to play at least a 15 minute long mission.

We will look into increasing the reward if the average length of Foundry missions that players are playing is greater than 15 minutes - but we're waiting to see if players will stop using these missions as an "easy" way to get Dilithium.

How about playing the missions as you direct - and not being able to finish after an hour due to a bug in the mission? Nothing is more frustrating than investing that time for NOTHING - not even the satisfaction of finishing the mission.
    :mad:
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    After playing through the recent changes, I just wanted to thank Cryptic for fixing the reputation system. Even though it still needs some minor work, I think the new changes are a step in the right direction. Thank you.
  • Options
    sillett131#8260 sillett131 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I've tried several foundry missions to complete the investigate officer reports. Not one will complete. Is anyone able to complete any that qualify? If so which one(s)? Also is this problem happening to a lot of players or just a handful? Thanks.
  • Options
    itslieutenantdanitslieutenantdan Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Man this is bull I have been playing sense day one. Give me rights to start a post already I have been coming into this new board for 3 weeks and I am still being treated as if I am new this is not how you treat a lifetime subscriber or anyone that's been here sense dayone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited December 2012
    Man this is bull I have been playing sense day one. Give me rights to start a post already I have been coming into this new board for 3 weeks and I am still being treated as if I am new this is not how you treat a lifetime subscriber or anyone that's been here sense dayone.

Hi there :) I just checked your forum settings and it shows that you're able to create new threads. There are some forums where only Devs can make new threads (this one, the Release Notes, and a couple others), but most the others will let you. Shoot me a forum PM if it's still not letting you.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    they are still having issues with lifetime rewards
    I have not gotten android
    it does get old after awhile
  • Options
    darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Shoot me a forum PM if it's still not letting you.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "Forums and Website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs.

Which is it?!?!? :D
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Which is it?!?!? :D
    Fairly simple: they'll get both, but only the support ticket will get a response ;)
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 924 Arc User
    edited December 2012

You're also showing a forums join date of this month (everyone's join date reset with the forum change) Therefore, regardless of your original join date, you're still considered "new".. Because of that, you're caught in the anti-spam measures PWE implemented a month or two ago to combat massive amounts of spam that ALL PWE boards were getting.

Hence, the reason you haven't been able to create new threads.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • Options
    f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    trek21 wrote: »
    Fairly simple: they'll get both, but only the support ticket will get a response ;)

And I thought support tickets got ignored.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • Options
    eve1964eve1964 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Not having played under season six for very long, I was not wedded to the system, and so, the changes have bothered me very little. I am not sure they would have in any event, but...What does bother me is the continuing issue with the Foundry. It is still not running missions properly, with enounters either not spawning to start with, or despawning. I can only confirm the latter in one of my unsuccessful missions as I saw the npc spawn as I was turning to engage another, and by the time I was done with it, the second spawn had gone away. The other spawns I have not encountered were in ground missions, and I can't say that they ever spawned at all, or spawned and faded away.

I would love to see the foundry come back up, fully preferably, but, at least get the authored missions where they are playable. Unfortunately, without them, there's very little story content in the game. Something I would love to see addressed in coming seasons. Get us some more official game arcs! (So you understand, I was quite spoiled by the content quantity and quality in City of Heroes, and I really do expect that kind of thing here.)

I appreciate all that you do, and I'm sure this is not easy to figure out, but, hey, they pay you guys the big bucks to get it done, so....

Make it so.

Eve
  • Options
    razorthorn1razorthorn1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    you know all the federation stuff is great but thats all i see being done is for the federation what about doing things for the kdf for a change i have seen very little being dong with them
  • Options
    ironclawpironclawp Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    you know all the federation stuff is great but thats all i see being done is for the federation what about doing things for the kdf for a change i have seen very little being dong with them

Only Fed Stuff are you kidding me you guys have so much stuff that kills feds PVP has become one sided, you can’t fight with ought Klingons and their Energy drain drones or their Asseton assimilators or their battle cloaks being able to shoot us with ought us being able to fight back or lock on to you guys really we get a lot please we get TRIBBLE.... we need more stuff to balance the PVP battles or you will find yourself fighting alone.. Also one more thing you should know and I’m sure others do Klingons don't have a console so they can use their cloaking devise it’s built into the ship. but guess what federation ships that have cloaking devices we lose that console slot because we have a module and we need to add the cloak if we want to use it how fair is that TRIBBLE.. I only play because I like star trek at this point but all this one sided BS is starting to get real old so I’m thinking a change of view might be needed and come back later when they address these issues... it’s hard to do but not sure what else to do I’m more frustrated than happy in the game at this point even with all the new Eye candy...
  • Options
    malevolentghostmalevolentghost Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2012

[*]Reputation XP Project timers are dropping from 40 hours to 20 hours across all Tiers. If you have a project in progress, it will not change, but any new projects after the update will be adjusted. We are also looking into adding the ability to drop a project.

Seriously what's to look into... this shouldn't have been released without the ability to drop a project that hasn't been started/invested in.
  • Options
    ds9fan1982ds9fan1982 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    You are so right. I made the mistake to put a mission in the queue. It is the mission for getting the rare scorpion fighters (for carriers). So the 2000 reputations point mission was over an the scorpion mission went into the first slot.

But I have no carrier I don't wanted this mission. But there was no way do delete it. I didn't add any needed item and so it wasn't running so why not cancel it? At the end of the day I payed the 30 !!! engineering duty officers and 10.000 dilithium to get the slot working again (with only the 800 reputation mission this system would take months).

In this moments I ask myself is there any kind of quality assurance at that company? This are big design flaws and nobody cares. Its the same with the quad cannons for the sao paulo class. A galor captain can equip his ship with 8 of the unique beams (don't have the name present). As a Defiant captain I can only equip on? Why? The phaser are TRIBBLE no balance problems here. So why can't I put 3 of them and a quantum torpedo launch in the front?

No I have to use normal dual phaser cannons which looks like TRIBBLE....

You get so much money from the ds9 fans like me:

- you want the uniform by a special edition of the game or later die uniform in the c-store
    - you want the bridge? Get the DS9 bundel
    - you want the cloak? Get the tactical escort retrofit!
    - you want the quad phasers? Get the sao paulo class
  • Options
    blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Seriously what's to look into... this shouldn't have been released without the ability to drop a project that hasn't been started/invested in.

Unfortunately, it's the same way with Starbase Projects, where they have never allowed cancelling either. I agree - this should not have been released without the ability to drop a project - either active or queued - but whatever they're "looking into" they haven't found it since the release of the fleet starbases.

It's hard to explain if you can't see the queuing process, but the personal reputation system works the same way.

Every single upgrade, we would have a problem with someone accidentally queuing a project that couldn't be cancelled or removed from the queue. What happens is, before you complete the tier upgrade, the next tier projects are not available. The upgrade has to complete. So the only projects available to queue are smaller rewards ones that relate to gaining SB XP. You can only swap for another one of these missions, because the next tier is not available yet.

As soon as the SB upgrade completes, you're screwed. The next queued project becomes active, which means you have to clear it before the higher-queue special projects become available. You can't cancel it - you can't swap it because it's active - AND it has the long cooldown afterwards. It gets worse as you gain, because of the cooldown increases.

This just seems like such a basic thing, I don't understand why there was/is no provision for cancelling either a queued or active project in the system. But then, I'm not programming it, it's obviously something they didn't foresee as a problem and now they're kind of stuck since it was released this way. I just hope they are able to code it in without breaking the advancement process.

Aliella Hawklight, Divine Oracle Devoted Cleric
    "Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

DaiMon Moogie, U.S.S. Acquisition
    Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Unfortunately, it's the same way with Starbase Projects, where they have never allowed cancelling either. I agree - this should not have been released without the ability to drop a project - either active or queued - but whatever they're "looking into" they haven't found it since the release of the fleet starbases.

It's hard to explain if you can't see the queuing process, but the personal reputation system works the same way.

Every single upgrade, we would have a problem with someone accidentally queuing a project that couldn't be cancelled or removed from the queue. What happens is, before you complete the tier upgrade, the next tier projects are not available. The upgrade has to complete. So the only projects available to queue are smaller rewards ones that relate to gaining SB XP. You can only swap for another one of these missions, because the next tier is not available yet.

As soon as the SB upgrade completes, you're screwed. The next queued project becomes active, which means you have to clear it before the higher-queue special projects become available. You can't cancel it - you can't swap it because it's active - AND it has the long cooldown afterwards. It gets worse as you gain, because of the cooldown increases.

This just seems like such a basic thing, I don't understand why there was/is no provision for cancelling either a queued or active project in the system. But then, I'm not programming it, it's obviously something they didn't foresee as a problem and now they're kind of stuck since it was released this way. I just hope they are able to code it in without breaking the advancement process.

It's because people would snivel about getting back any resources they put into a cancelled project. Aside from the fact that this means somehow tracking who contributed what, when you design a resource sink to manipulate your game's economy and the habits of your players, the last thing you're going to do is let go of anything valuable the players have already surrendered.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
This discussion has been closed.