test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

SINCE S7: Blue Screen Black Screen - Game Crash ...WHY?

Here's the specs I'm running....the game worked perfectly LAST NIGHT. Speed, graphics, etc. before Season 7 last night. I cannot play the game any longer as I get several flashes from a black screen, then a complete freeze of the computer, then the blue screen of death telling me the computer needs to shut down.

The computer functions perfectly. But the game (after Season 7 today, is unplayable). After 20 seconds or so the screen starts flickering then the game freezes. I just updated drivers.---that's not the problem. My computer is barely 1 year old. Can someone please help??? Otherwise I'm going to be forced to quit the game. Anyone who's technically incline, please help!!!

Windows 7 Home Premium
Service Pack 1

Manufacturer: Acer
Model: Aspire X3950
Processor: Intel Core i3 CPU 550
@3.20GHz 3.20 GHz
Installed Memory: 6.00 GB

System Type 64-bit Operating System

Intel Integrated HD Graphics
Post edited by paragon92518 on

Comments

• Options
    idonotlikethisidonotlikethis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I am having a similar if not identical problem to yours... i have tried everything me and a few fleetmate of mine can think of to get me back up again, as a precaution i would make sure your Directx and Vidcard drivers are all up to date and do a dxdiag dump. I will update if we figure it out before ya, thinkin we are close to solving this problem.

*edit* might as well drop my DXDIAG here... we are running the same basic machine yours is just shinier than mine.

dxdiag
  • Options
    rumbleprumblep Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    exact same issue, nearly same specs. slightly less ram and a Toshiba satellite.
    -Captain Saffrin
    Federation 12th Cavalry
    Deep Space 19/USS Montana
  • Options
    paragon92518paragon92518 Member Posts: 268
    edited November 2012
    I am having a similar if not identical problem to yours... i have tried everything me and a few fleetmate of mine can think of to get me back up again, as a precaution i would make sure your Directx and Vidcard drivers are all up to date and do a dxdiag dump. I will update if we figure it out before ya, thinkin we are close to solving this problem.

*edit* might as well drop my DXDIAG here... we are running the same basic machine yours is just shinier than mine.

dxdiag

When you mention that you are close to fixing the problem, since so many players are experiencing it, wouldn't the problem be coming from STO, not the computer of...all of us players?
  • Options
    kiantetkiantet Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Yeap, I was playing season 6 STF's fine for a long time till season 7 and my intel graphics driver crashed repeatedly. Thinking it was a corrupted file, I installed the latest driver but to no avail.

I am going to try to log a support ticket. Hopefully it won't crashed before I click [submit].
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    it is most definitely S7 related... seems they did something that makes integrated intel HD graphics cards crash... hopefully somebody will figure out a fix for this insanity.
  • Options
    captaindsterlingcaptaindsterling Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Same problem here too. Tried force verifying and everything and it still does it. :mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    admiralsvakadmiralsvak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It did the same to me too, they better fix this because I want to do new romulus!:mad:
  • Options
    fewzzfewzz Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Have Cryptic even posted for this problem (mind you theyd probably lie lol)???????

This is not a players machine it is with the game.

My game is fine but my two friends i play with have this error, sometimes it reports a differant error.

Maybe if we pay them more cash theyd fix this problem, i think there must be alot of players with this problem as i know two myself.
  • Options
    carnitas63carnitas63 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Same problem here. I was having the issue on tribble as well :confused:
  • Options
    cairellacairella Member Posts: 0
    edited November 2012
    Please get this fixed soon...its getting really annoying...... And i know its not my hardware becuase its just this game...I can dance on high graphics settings on any other game and no problems....

But yet I won't hold my breath.....only way they'll probally fix this is if we all give them a blank check.
  • Options
    denivordenivor Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Exactly the same problem.... wtf????
  • Options
    zigadeiczigadeic Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    denivor wrote: »
    Exactly the same problem.... wtf????

ditto here I have droped close to a grand into this game in cp and zen prior season 7 but when they roll out se 7 boom game crashes I am surprised that cryptic would release a patch that would cause so many issues wait no im not I guess if they dont get this fixed all of us players who crash can go to some other game :mad::mad:
    tumblr_m9xiz26mwj1rdabsoo1_r1_400.gif
  • Options
    taskforce214taskforce214 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Screen blinks black two -five times them the entire machine locks up. Video card/driver issue? Do I need new drivers or is it compatibility? Have an ASUS laptop, pretty high speed, can look up specs if you need them. This is my cheapy-work computer but STO has the same problem on the big gaming machine and it should eat anything.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Also can we have an ETA on repair?
  • Options
    goatkilla182goatkilla182 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Same issue for me. It came up frequently in the Tribble testing and I reported a bug on it. The screen blinks and then restores itself. Today I saw it resulted in a crash of my Intel Integrated video card which windows says it recovered from. It eventually crashed the game and I've sent a full data dump to Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I have figured out exactly what it is doing that causes the problem (it keeps tripping the drivers for the vidcard up) but knowing that is worthless. i just recently piked up a life time sub and i preordered this game 2 years ago... its a damn shame that cryptic doesn't seem to know how to treat their long time players by NOT releasing flawed season patches
  • Options
    daybre4kdaybre4k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I too experience these same issues, and I did on Tribble as well, before season 7 launched, but thought it might have been due to Tribble being a test server or something. I have an Asus desktop PC running Windows 7 Home Premium with Intel HD Graphics. I'd really like to get back to playing Season 7 with my friends, and I hope a solution can be reached ASAP, since this is really starting to bug me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tamerethtamereth Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Yep tried again tonight and same issue. Gets to loading screen with the comm bagde logo then crashes - i get a warning that my "display driver stopped responding and recovered".

Was working fine before season 7 patch, i was playing up to ten minutes before the servers went down for maintanence.

Is there a way to raise a support ticket without logging into the game client - i can't see an option for this on the launcher?

This isn't an issue with my hardware, every other game works fine and have have double checked that all my drivers are up to date. As i said it was working fine before the patch. I'm not using an intergrated graphic like some people who seem to have issues, i have a NVIDIA GeForce 850 GT card. I know this isn't a top of the range card or anything but it copes with everything else fine.

Any word from cryptic on this issue - are they aware / looking into it?
  • Options
    azerdracoazerdraco Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I decided to actually come and see if there were others having this same problem.

Monday I was running at full quality for my display. I could see the pimples on the face of the Academy cadets at 500 paces.

Tuesday, after the "update", I can't even play the game on the absolute lowest settings without getting graphic crashes.

And from the posts below, I see I'm definitely not alone:
    Screen blinks black two -five times them the entire machine locks up. Video card/driver issue? Do I need new drivers or is it compatibility? Have an ASUS laptop, pretty high speed, can look up specs if you need them. This is my cheapy-work computer but STO has the same problem on the big gaming machine and it should eat anything.
    Same issue for me. It came up frequently in the Tribble testing and I reported a bug on it. The screen blinks and then restores itself. Today I saw it resulted in a crash of my Intel Integrated video card which windows says it recovered from. It eventually crashed the game and I've sent a full data dump to Cryptic.
    tamereth wrote: »
    Yep tried again tonight and same issue. Gets to loading screen with the comm bagde logo then crashes - i get a warning that my "display driver stopped responding and recovered".

Was working fine before season 7 patch, i was playing up to ten minutes before the servers went down for maintanence.

Is there a way to raise a support ticket without logging into the game client - i can't see an option for this on the launcher?

This isn't an issue with my hardware, every other game works fine and have have double checked that all my drivers are up to date. As i said it was working fine before the patch. I'm not using an intergrated graphic like some people who seem to have issues, i have a NVIDIA GeForce 850 GT card. I know this isn't a top of the range card or anything but it copes with everything else fine.

Any word from cryptic on this issue - are they aware / looking into it?

Cryptic, take a good hard look at these posts. This is from just skimming the posts.

Okay, since I know most of you are probably hard of hearing from the constant deafening roar of "We are so GREAT" that you use to drown your customers out, I will state this in a way I am sure you can understand:

YOUR SEASON 7 UPDATE IS NOT WORKING AS INTENDED FOR A LARGE NUMBER OF YOUR PLAYERS. WE WANT TO PLAY, BUT YOUR STUPIDITY AT TRYING TO FORCE NEW CONTENT INTO THE GAME TO ENTICE THE WHALES TO PAY YOUR BILLS IS DESTROYING THE GAME!

In more uplifting news, it seems that the Devs MIGHT actually be getting a clue that the players need to be listened too......
  • Options
    paragon92518paragon92518 Member Posts: 268
    edited November 2012
    Amen to that! Great post. Let's hope someone actually cares...or listens. I'm beginning to feel unnerved that no Devs have said a word about this.
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I log into the game. It gets to the SF logo screen. Crash to desktop. Then the submit error ticket thing pops up, verify all files is either broken or not helping.

It is definitely rooted in S7, because I haven't been able to use Tribble for a while ever since S7 stuff got put on it. And now, after S7, Holodeck is affected exactly the same.

Cryptic, the unmovable entity, actually gave way just a little to the playerbase with the return of (a little) dilithium to STFs. So why don't they listen to those who can't even play the game (which renders any change inert)? Cryptic, why don't you at least acknowledge that something is not working as intended? Pretending you don't see the million and one threads about this is not how to gain favor, and it is not how you help the game in any way.

Even if some dev just comes out in one of these threads and says "Yeah, we know something isn't right" would be much appreciated.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Okay guys Technically inclined....Check

Most of the information needed.....Check

You've already narrowed it down to the intel integrated graphics cool, however there's on bit no one has posted.

Has anyone written down the error code or codes your getting from the BSOD (Blue screen of death)?

IF you guys can please write down and post what error codes your getting when the BSOD comes up. If you're wondering why this is important, the error code on the BSOD could be a vital bit of information as to exactly what is getting triggered for the graphics driver to crash and possible lead to figuring out exactly what is triggering the whole issue.

It should look something like "Error 8x43fdr in graphics954.dll" That's just a random example but for those of you that don't know what to look for it'll give you a rough idea.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I don't get a bsod or an error code, the first 2-3 times a cryptic window allowed me to post a crash report. On my machine it just locks up the entire computer with a death rattle on the sound card.
  • Options
    jamesknight79jamesknight79 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Glad to know it wasn't just me getting this problem. Ever since the S7 patch update, I log in and get to my missions, and then the screen on my laptop (which has better graphics processing than my desktop) just hangs several times, then it crashes giving me the BSOD screen. It points to my graphics driver, so I updated that, but the problem persists. It's making the game nearly unplayable.

Since I see so many others experiencing the same problem, I won't bother posting my specs (mostly because I don't have them on hand). It would be nice to see some sort of confirmation that such a problem exists and that there is someone working on a resolution or at least a work-around would be great!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    voicesdark wrote: »
    Okay guys Technically inclined....Check

Most of the information needed.....Check

You've already narrowed it down to the intel integrated graphics cool, however there's on bit no one has posted.

Has anyone written down the error code or codes your getting from the BSOD (Blue screen of death)?

IF you guys can please write down and post what error codes your getting when the BSOD comes up. If you're wondering why this is important, the error code on the BSOD could be a vital bit of information as to exactly what is getting triggered for the graphics driver to crash and possible lead to figuring out exactly what is triggering the whole issue.

It should look something like "Error 8x43fdr in graphics954.dll" That's just a random example but for those of you that don't know what to look for it'll give you a rough idea.

actually yes in point of fact I have
    rumblep wrote: »
    Here ya go cryptic... Error Ticket # 14182686

Gotta love that new code, just logged into a toon standing by quinns office on ESD and BAM!

"Fatal Error: Direct3D Driver returned error code
    (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) while creating a texture.

Technical Details: DXGI_DEVICE_REMOVED while creating 2D texture size 64 x 64 (7mips, RTEX_DXT5), 1.55 GB RAM, 1.19GB virtual space available"

Now thats a brand spanking new error message that has never even graced this system before. Congratulatory messages to you in its creation. How about a fix Devs?

and this can be found http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=414741&page=2
    -Captain Saffrin
    Federation 12th Cavalry
  • Options
    drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Since S7 playing STO has been impossible.

I have tried reinstalling the game, this did not solve the problem.

Whenever I click on any interaction, the screen goes black for a moment and at times PC crashes with blue screen saying there was a fatal exception with the graphics driver and recovered.

Prior to S7 this never happened. I have been playing on this PC for 2 years so it cannot suddenly be a hardware issue or driver for that matter.

What's changed?
  • Options
    voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    rumblep wrote: »
    actually yes in point of fact I have

and this can be found http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=414741&page=2

okay excuse my language but WTF is that **** lol

yes yes I understand it technically wise but a little harmless 64x64 pixel graphics is causing all this **** lol

so I've been sitting here staring at a 64x64 pixel square banging my head trying ti figure out wtf that might be. Unfortunately I think I've got it figured.

They did some pretty extensive changes with the gui (graphical user interface aka hud) for season 7. The only two things on the main hud that are that size are 1) the combadge icon for the chat window and 2) the player head graphic for the status display. Doesn't mean there aren't other just those are the two that instantly come to mind that you'd all have in common at the same time.

Unfortunately if it's a GUI error which it seems to be only suggestion (unless someone has tried it) would be try to force verify the files or if you're system has it try forcing the game into dx11 mode.

Sorry guys wish I could be more help, but with this type of error it really is something the devs have to work on. Although if anyone tried the forced dx11 and it works or doesn't please let everyone know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cers001cers001 Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    don't forget to do upgrades to your vid cards and windows
    CVN-65 U.S.S. Enterprise - A ship so badass it survived John McCain.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    dont think its the gui honestly... and the forced verify has been tried on several as well as total reinstalls...among other things. As for my systems, fully updated both windows and vid card driver (per vid card manufacture as the one on the system manufacture is 3 years old)
    -Captain Saffrin
    Federation 12th Cavalry
  • Options
    tieberionetieberione Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Here guys, give this a try. Looking at the error from the log, theres a conflict between the Direct X calls the game is making and your system not interpreting them right.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Good Luck!

(P.S. Make sure to RE-Install your graphic driver after updating)
    Tieberion, Captain of the USS Excalibur NX-97000-B