test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 7 Dev Blog #9

Comments

• drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    dastahl wrote: »
    You propose an interesting view of the New Romulans... Would you let both Fed and KDF Romulans have access to the same ships in your world? Would you let Romulans fly KDF or Fed ships?

I think that this could be a tentative step in the right direction. The pacifists sure, but the rest of the Romulans would be an independant mini-faction at least. What I would like to see is an Asteroid base or even a secret super-carrier/ station as a starting base. (Right now I am imagining something like a Romulan Mothership - I know! Not very Star Trek-like. But, given that they have no home planet, fairly plausible. And Romulan ship design does favour huge ships, so ... mothership :) )

Also, these Romulans attire would be far less militaristic of the classic Romulan uniforms, and more guerilla "new-age", worn and more "Eastern-Frontish" like the German Troops in Russia at the closing stages of the Second World War :)
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    You propose an interesting view of the New Romulans... Would you let both Fed and KDF Romulans have access to the same ships in your world? Would you let Romulans fly KDF or Fed ships?

i am vehemently apposed to romulans being added to both factions in that way, but if you had to because a 3rd faction just would not be feasible no mater what, yes, they should have access to romulan ships. like, you should buy a romulan character token that gives you a romulan captain at level cap, and a token to choose between 3 or 4 playable romulan ships. ONLY these characters should be able to use them.

if you do end up making a 3rd romulan faction, presumably sela's faction thats not friendly with fed or kdf, ONLY they should have romulan ships. no mater what else you might tag on to fed and kdf, only that 3rd faction should have romulan ships.
  • daloschooldaloschool Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Coming in from my specially created school account, I'd say both sides should have race-exclusive access to Romulan ships if they're Remans or Romulans, but be able to fly standard ships as well.

- Dalo Lorn

Edit: I have to put this into a sig. Excuse me.
    - Dalo Lorn's school account.
  • docsnoopydocsnoopy Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    After reading the last blog entries I get a bad feeling about the "Green" future ...

The Romulan faction ( as faction like KDF or Federation ) is dead. Cryptic/PWE will not implement it. Best ( or worst depending on your point-of-view ) we will get is playable Romulan/Reman race as new side kicks and Romulan ships in the next lock box. They just want to avoid the **** storm for ignoring the result of th last poll yet.

Why lock box ?

The current development direction of "playable-Romulans" is only driven by best possible fast ROI with the smallest possilble development time to generate a big short-term income. Z-store is not part of this anymore. Lock boxes are a better ROI for Cryptic/PWE. I predict one high-class lock box ship ( like the Scimitar ) and multiple new ships in the Lobi store. I assume that building a complete new faction is not part of this because of the higher invest in time/money.

The "new" Romulan/Reman members are just building everything up, few resources, blah-blah-blah ...
    Following the story in the dev blogs they can even use the argument that these Romulan ships have to be rare because of the current state of the new Romulan government. Joining KDF/Federation means they will use primarily ships from their new parent faction, not orignial Romulan designs. Or that the Lobi Consortium has "obtained" some Romulan ships from deserted navy bases / stolen / bought on black market / insert-spin-doctor-statement-of-the-day alternative.

Have to admit that this even makes sense. I do not like it, but it make sense if you follow the story line they are showing us now. Putting Romulan ship designs in the KDF/Federation fleet does not make any sense at all.

I find it annoying to hear that we can unlock new cutscenes while grinding up the Reputation system. Ressources for this are apparently available.

Really hope I am wrong with this and I misread every information / hint that is given in the dev blogs for season 7 ...
  • carl103carl103 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    i really have grown to hate JJ abrams for destroying the romulans, this game would be much more interesting with them as strong as they ever were.

JJ didn't destroy them, cryptic did. the feds have 250 odd members, we've seen dozens if not hundreds of human colony worlds, and it would be unfair to presume most fed races don't have a similar number, (or that their aren't an even larger number of mixed worlds). The federation easilly has 10K inhabited world, posssibbly over a 100K. Even accounting for the more war like nature of the romulans there is simply no way a ace who's main and onyl significant population and industrial centre was limited to just one world could have participaited in the dominion war as a significant ally to the federation, let alone the equals they where treated as.

Fact is in reality romulous going boom would have made a mess of their political system and have ben a morale blow par excellance. But the kind of damage needed to tottally destroy the romulan star empire as a meiningful and powerful force was tottally beyond it. 99.95 of their industry and military capabilities would have been REQUIRED to be off world for the romulons to be as powerful as we know them to be.
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    oops..........
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    You need the story from the Klingon perspective.
    After openly fighting the romulans in romulan space ever since the destruction of romulas, how does it feel to be allies with them in a heartbeat?
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    After reading this I can pretty much see that a romulan faction will never come to fruition. the best we will see will be playable romulans and the warbirds will most likely be lockbox ships.
    In a way I'm glad as it means that Cryptic may actually think about working on giving proper story content for fed and KDF.
    Wishful thinking I know
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    robeasom wrote: »
    After reading this I can pretty much see that a romulan faction will never come to fruition. the best we will see will be playable romulans and the warbirds will most likely be lockbox ships.
    In a way I'm glad as it means that Cryptic may actually think about working on giving proper story content for fed and KDF.
    Wishful thinking I know

they did say awhile ago that they was never doing a romulan related lockbox. most likely because it would ruin any chance of there being a 3rd faction. it would even ruin the awful sub faction concept
  • collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    99.5%? really?? so 0.05% is left..... i find that very unlikely when they controled several systems. and the entire fleet wouldn't have just happened to be parked in orbit of romulous on a very bad day :cool: lol

Psst... He/she said there was 99.5% left, 0.05% destroyed. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    chalpen wrote: »
    You need the story from the Klingon perspective.
    After openly fighting the romulans in romulan space ever since the destruction of romulas, how does it feel to be allies with them in a heartbeat?
    I think the story will be fairly simple:

The Klingons will talk peace, but only so long as it serves their plans. They could conquer these pacifist Romulan colonies easily... but they currently have little of value to make an invasion worth it.

So, with KDF ship captains helping them build, you are increasing their future conquest value for the Empire. Plus gathering valuable intel that can be used for those plans.

Pretending to be a double agent, sorta; helping the Romulans, but really helping your side. There is more than one way to win a war, and going into battle blindly is not smart.

Something along those lines :) A little bit of a stretch, maybe, but isn't it feasible enough for the KDF?
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited October 2012
    I'n a military sense the Romulan star Empire
    Was stronger that the federation and stronger than the Klingons
    I'n a one on one setting

All cannon supports this that the creator of ST
    approved

The loss of it's home world would have been great but
    The Romulans had colonized over 100 worlds and many
    Other races lived under there rule

The Romulan navy was approx 90% cloaked

The Klingons only 25% at the time of the last
    Tos Movie
    Romulan cloaking debices were superior as well

JJ Abrams movie was I'n a alternate reality
    Not Kirk and Picards series reality

STO exists I'n the Abrams reality so I guess
    They can twist it any way they wish too

Just look at the ships for a twisted perspective
    :)
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Why is it on the default wordpress theme?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

In that case, i'd like to have Sela's faction be the playable one, thank you very much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    carl103 wrote: »
    JJ didn't destroy them, cryptic did. the feds have 250 odd members, we've seen dozens if not hundreds of human colony worlds, and it would be unfair to presume most fed races don't have a similar number, (or that their aren't an even larger number of mixed worlds). The federation easilly has 10K inhabited world, posssibbly over a 100K. Even accounting for the more war like nature of the romulans there is simply no way a ace who's main and onyl significant population and industrial centre was limited to just one world could have participaited in the dominion war as a significant ally to the federation, let alone the equals they where treated as.

Fact is in reality romulous going boom would have made a mess of their political system and have ben a morale blow par excellance. But the kind of damage needed to tottally destroy the romulan star empire as a meiningful and powerful force was tottally beyond it. 99.95 of their industry and military capabilities would have been REQUIRED to be off world for the romulons to be as powerful as we know them to be.

you got your Lore messed up there

Romulus was destroyed YEARS AFTER Nemesis or the Dominion War by the Hobus Nova sending Spock and Nero back to the JJ Movie, destroying Vulcan OVER THERE.

So STO is in the time AFTER Romulus Destruction and Vulcan is very much intact with Spock and Nero gone missing forever.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bbsti2009bbsti2009 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hello!

When the Tau Dewa sector will be active, how should we do the Tour The Universe? With Diplomatic Immunity and Borg engine i can do it 4 times, but the new sector will be in the way....
    Maybe this is not the correct place to write this down, i'm a hungarian, sorry for it.
  • docsnoopydocsnoopy Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    zerobang wrote: »
    In that case, i'd like to have Sela's faction be the playable one, thank you very much.

I cheerful support this.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    duaths1 wrote: »
    There was no WAR in the Romulan empire - only one planet has been destroyed, yes the homeworld, but they WERE prepared and knew about that, so they could escape.

From the Path to 2409:

"The Romulan Senate finally authorized an evacuation order after the loss of the Valdore, and ships were recalled to help ferry Romulus residents off-world. At that time, the Romulan military estimated that it would take a minimum of six weeks to evacuate the homeworld.

Twenty-seven hours later, the Hobus star went supernova. The resulting chain reaction destroyed Romulus and Remus. Billions of Romulans were killed."

So they didn't have enough time to evacuate more than a small portion of the population.
    Romulan empire is not so big as FED, but certainly bigger than KDF grounds.

That is correct, according to the Galaxy map.
    Don't tell me an empire this big fells into chaos after ONE of hundreds of planets is destroyed.

The Tkon did. Why not the Romulans?
    (so much for their story, but OK, let's accept there is a war)

Read dev blog 6. There was a civil war following Sela's disappearance.
    But I really don't see how such a big empire would disappear! There IS certainly a place for a REAL romulan faction!

It hasn't "disappeared" per say. The Star Empire has basically collapsed, but there are still Romulan factions fighting each other for power. Some are militant, like Senator Harmien, but D'Tan's faction is peaceful. Not sure about the other one.
    KDF and Romulans - they were in war for so long - the KDF would eat them alive knowing they are weak.

Perhaps the Klinks see this as an opportunity to undermine the militant faction, or perhaps teach these ones the concept of honor.
    FED and Romulans - this could work, but only as a treaty, no assimilation into Federation possible. Analogy - imagine EU assimilating USA or the other way up.. just not possible.

Agreed, for now.
    As to Rom/Cardie union - NO. Why?

Cause Cardies are a bunch of self-centered fools which would not hesitate to sell their own brother to gain what they are after.

The militant Cardassian Union exists only in the form of the True Way Alliance. The majority of their race has reformed to become a mostly peaceful faction.
    If cryptic is really doing this - destroying the Romulans as a whole, transforming the big Romulan Empire into an army of small puppets which is no different from the people of Defera (only able to hold an open hand and cry for help), then these are not the romulans I would play.

That, I agree with. But I suspect these peaceful Romulans will not be the ones to spawn a playable faction.
    zerobang wrote: »

Agreed, or Harmien's group.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    99.5%? really?? so 0.05% is left..... i find that very unlikely when they controled several systems. and the entire fleet wouldn't have just happened to be parked in orbit of romulous on a very bad day :cool: lol

learn to read
    edited October 2012
    The Tkon did. Why not the Romulans?
    - Why should they? As i understand this Tkon were a race which accomplished everything.. almost.. perhaps they grew bored..
    Rommies weren't so far, and with their organization and discipline..

You know this is funny. There are far smaller civilisations ingame (deferi, caitians and the kdf cat race) which people are able to accept. They survive even if they are small or one-planet system only. Why would Romulans be not able to do this? One argument???
    That, I agree with. But I suspect these peaceful Romulans will not be the ones to spawn a playable faction.

that is what i am concerned about - im waiting for a playable Romulan faction from the launch. Not a Romulan homeless just hoping for a shelter..
    Let's give KDF and FED the separatists and even playable race. Even some tech.

But WE NEED A PLAYABLE ROMMIE FACTION as an third independent faction with green UI and doffs, fleets etc.. We already know the new home is on Rator III. This information was in STO from the beginning!
    edited October 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    Why is it on the default wordpress theme?

yeah looks awful. infact i'd go as far as saying it don't look offical at all. looks basic and unprofessional to me
    edited October 2012
    learn to read

yeah sorry about that. however after i noticed my own error i atempted to edit the post and it wouldn't allow me to do so. :(
  • stealthriderstealthrider Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2012

DStahl, have you ever considered the idea of having "mini-factions?" That is to say, instead of adding Romulans, Cardassians etc as completely separate entities, have you thought of adding these and other races under the Fed/KDF belt with their own mini-story arcs, ships, BOs, etc?

I'm picturing here something similar to SWTOR's class stories. Your faction choice, Fed or KDF, would choose your overall allegiance in the "great war," but your choice of race would choose what kinds of extra ships you would have access to as well as a small (or perhaps decent-sized) story arc explaining the motivations, actions and private dealings of your race's mini-faction. For example, Romulans would be able to choose Federation or KDF, and in either case they would have access to all of their factions ships plus a few Romulan designs, and they would have a different (perhaps similar at the start, but branching-off later) story arc that would explain why that subset of Romulans joined the Feds or KDF.

This mini-faction system could even be applied retroactively to other races, even Z-store ones. Vulcans could have their own arc, Gorn could have their own, and Aliens could choose one to be a part of. Not only would this expand the game storyline sideways and give a canon reason for adding certain ship designs and race selections, but it would also be far easier than adding Romulans, Cardassians, etc as entire factions of their own.

You could even tie it into the Reputation system.

If the team hasn't considered something like this, I hope they do in the future, as I think it would be an excellent addition to the game.
    edited October 2012
    yeah sorry about that. however after i noticed my own error i atempted to edit the post and it wouldn't allow me to do so. :(

yeah, the new forums rock :D
    DStahl, have you ever considered the idea of having "mini-factions?" That is to say, instead of adding Romulans, Cardassians etc as completely separate entities, have you thought of adding these and other races under the Fed/KDF belt with their own mini-story arcs, ships, BOs, etc?

I'm picturing here something similar to SWTOR's class stories. Your faction choice, Fed or KDF, would choose your overall allegiance in the "great war," but your choice of race would choose what kinds of extra ships you would have access to as well as a small (or perhaps decent-sized) story arc explaining the motivations, actions and private dealings of your race's mini-faction. For example, Romulans would be able to choose Federation or KDF, and in either case they would have access to all of their factions ships plus a few Romulan designs, and they would have a different (perhaps similar at the start, but branching-off later) story arc that would explain why that subset of Romulans joined the Feds or KDF.

This mini-faction system could even be applied retroactively to other races, even Z-store ones. Vulcans could have their own arc, Gorn could have their own, and Aliens could choose one to be a part of. Not only would this expand the game storyline sideways and give a canon reason for adding certain ship designs and race selections, but it would also be far easier than adding Romulans, Cardassians, etc as entire factions of their own.

this means lots of story driven content == no go for cryptic..

btw - better to do paid factions = free faction with one free ship from lvl 45 up (after reaching this lvl with a fed/kdf char), all other ships/stuff buyable in Z-Store..
  • firekeeperhufirekeeperhu Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    will we able to get Romulan/Reman DOffs or BOffs in the new season? i've read in the dev blogs "romulan officers" many times, but on tribble, all i see is a "consumable" romulan and reman officer in the romulan rep. system list, like a common security escort, wich is plainly ridiculous. it would be nice to have a romulan BOff in the crew, especially, if it would have a SPACE trait (for exemple, efficient, or other space modifying new trait)
    <3 Defiant <3

RnD and upgrade needs less RNG. Less lottery. Something has to change.
    edited October 2012
    if season 7 has a very good story and we end up rewarded a defector. yes a romulan BO. then thats all fine and good.

if we end up with a romulan sub faction, where the romulans join the feds or klingons then that is effectivley destroying the RSE not rebuilding it. we would also see 2 major races in the history of star trek having nothing short of an identity crisis romulans and klingons acting like the federation indeed.

lets face it this game should have launched with 3 or 4 full factions not 2 (or as some say 1 and a half). it's time to catch up in 2013!
    edited October 2012
    if season 7 has a very good story and we end up rewarded a defector. yes a romulan BO. then thats all fine and good.

if we end up with a romulan sub faction, where the romulans join the feds or klingons then that is effectivley destroying the RSE not rebuilding it. we would also see 2 major races in the history of star trek having nothing short of an identity crisis romulans and klingons acting like the federation indeed.

lets face it this game should have launched with 3 or 4 full factions not 2 (or as some say 1 and a half). it's time to catch up in 2013!

very well written!
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited October 2012

I agree./10chars
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    See... This strikes me as the sort of thinking that creeps in from reading the books.

Going by the shows, the Romulans were and remained allies with a lot of powerful Klingons. It was people like Worf, Martok, and Gowron who were anti-Romulan.

But I don't think you can take them as wholly representative any more than you can take J'Dan and Duras as wholly representative.

And in the last TNG film Worf admits to Riker that the Romulans fought with honor during tha Battle of Bassen Rift. So it's not as if Worf is as one note as he's often made out to be either.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited October 2012

The known rewards from the romulan reputation system include (apparently non-unique) Romulan Boffs.

I agree though, 4 factions would make the game more fun. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
This discussion has been closed.