test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 7 Dev Blog #9

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited October 2012 in Galactic News Network [PC]
The Federation News Service report contained in this entry of the Season 7 News Dev Blog series reveals information about the Romulans search for a new homeworld.

Link to the blog.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The Federation News Service report contained in this entry of the Season 7 News Dev Blog series reveals information about the Romulans search for a new homeworld.

Link to the blog.

Wish you guys had the "Federation News Network" in-game. I mean you don't have to write new fiction every week, you could just put some words around random PvP match results or random character promotions. e.g.

1) "A Starfleet task-force comprised of the USS x, USS y, USS z, USS a and USS b successfully defended Federation assets in the Neutral Zone on Starbase 12345.67. Captain [Highest scoring player on winning team] won particular praise for his/her bravery"

2) "Chancellor J'mpok today approved the promotion of [random set of players] to the rank of Brigadier General. The warriors demonstrated exceptional honour and skill at arms."
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Excellent opening to the new season. Sets the scene very nicely. :)

I also like the idea of there being a chance for peace here. Much better than all the doom and gloom talk of wars and invasions. This comes as a refreshing change to STO.

Thank you. :D
  • typhoncaltyphoncal Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    In reading this small bit, is it to imply that we the community will physically building this new planet "homeworld" in the same manner that we are building the stations?
    Commander Shran - You tell Archer, that is three the pink skin owes me!
  • reichwald12reichwald12 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Pretty neat background. Looking forward to it..

Just please don't blow up plans for a third faction. If you must, make the Roms a mini faction. But at least come up with an actual third. If you do so, you open up a major appetite for gamers who want open world [space...] pvp.

Plus, if you do make that a possibility, you only need to create the zones (in game politics handles the rest).
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    walshicus wrote: »
    Wish you guys had the "Federation News Network" in-game. I mean you don't have to write new fiction every week, you could just put some words around random PvP match results or random character promotions. e.g.

1) "A Starfleet task-force comprised of the USS x, USS y, USS z, USS a and USS b successfully defended Federation assets in the Neutral Zone on Starbase 12345.67. Captain [Highest scoring player on winning team] won particular praise for his/her bravery"

2) "Chancellor J'mpok today approved the promotion of [random set of players] to the rank of Brigadier General. The warriors demonstrated exceptional honour and skill at arms."

I really like this idea... I think it could also give a nod to directing news specific about the players fleet as well,,, I've looked at the Fleet News stuff... once... made no impact an moved on...

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • ebonyteviloebonytevilo Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Poor D?Tan, J'mpok will kill him on the steps of the Great Hall.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    the more this story line progresses, the less likely we will every see a romulan faction, but instead this tag along to the current fed and kdf faction :( i really have grown to hate JJ abrams for destroying the romulans, this game would be much more interesting with them as strong as they ever were.
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I really like this idea... I think it could also give a nod to directing news specific about the players fleet as well,,, I've looked at the Fleet News stuff... once... made no impact an moved on...

Let me understand this.

You think that news functionality that will take an enormous developer resources is really something to desire given the current lack of content?

You would rather read arbitrary, repetitive, and 100% pointless lists of people & SB-related information that makes absolutely no impact to gameplay whatsoever?
    edited October 2012
    Poor D?Tan, J'mpok will kill him on the steps of the Great Hall.

Personally I hope so. This is not the Romulans I know or desire. Everything about the Romulans surrounds their marshal history.

"By the 24th century, the government of Romulus is dependent upon the Tal Shiar, the Romulan Secret Police, to maintain order and stability among both civilians and the military. The Tal Shiar is known for its brutal tactics, which include routine kidnapping, torture, and assassination. Many Romulans fear even expressing dissenting opinions as not to spark the interest of the Tal Shiar. There also seems to be some degree of tension between the military and the Tal Shiar.

Romulan society is based upon a highly structured caste system. Unlike most of the highly evolved species in the Alpha and Beta quadrants, Romulans still practice slavery, and frequently use conquered races for forced slave labor and shock troops.

Romulans tend to be highly xenophobic, engaging in extended periods of isolationism, and can be perceived as outright racist to other species, believing themselves to be superior. At least some Romulans believe that one day the Romulan Empire will rule the entire galaxy.

Romulan society does not appear to be gender biased. Both males and females command warships, can obtain high political positions and can be members of the Tal Shiar."

I'm sorry, but somewhere down the line Cryptic have super-imposed the Cardassian Depata Council post-Dominion storyline over that of the Romulan.

They could have come up with something a little more original that "Please feed me."

If anything, one of the following would have fitted into the storyline:

A Romulan-Cardassian alliance would be more plausible, given that they aided one another during the Battle of the Omarion Nebula, and given that the Cardassian True Way are themselves trying to return Cardassia to militaristic rule.

The Klingon Empire cannot abide weakness. They would have launched at full scale attack against the Romulans when they were at their weakness not sent diplomats!

The Romulans efforts to subjugate the Reman's would have intensified. This makes the Remans appear on equal footing to the Romulans. They are not, and their own planet was also destroyed making them even weaker.

The Federation I could see living-up to the humanitarian effort.

This was a HUGE PvP opportunity, that Cryptic has failed to capture on. HUGE.
  • qutothqutoth Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Link to the blog.

As a KDF player, this story does not apply. It explains nothing as to why the Klingon Empire does not see this Romulan weakness as an opportunity to attack. A couple of the great houses could see this as an opportunity for an easy victory to attract more warriors to their banners. If this new territory has resources, the empire should seize them immediately.

We could set up a Reman puppet state to administer these systems and exact resources needed for the Federation War. It is a time for glory, not talk!

Path to 2409: Martok made the definitive statement of the Klingon Empire's view of the Romulan Star Empire in 2388. "
    The Klingons will offer no treaty, no aid, and no hand that is not holding a blade"
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    qutoth wrote: »
    As a KDF player, this story does not apply. It explains nothing as to why the Klingon Empire does not see this Romulan weakness as an opportunity to attack. A couple of the great houses could see this as an opportunity for an easy victory to attract more warriors to their banners. If this new territory has resources, the empire should seize them immediately.

We could set up a Reman puppet state to administer these systems and exact resources needed for the Federation War. It is a time for glory, not talk!

Where is the honour in striking at a foe who cannot defend themselves!

Klingons kill no-one at the dinner table!
  • typhoncaltyphoncal Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    the more this story line progresses, the less likely we will every see a romulan faction, but instead this tag along to the current fed and kdf faction :( i really have grown to hate JJ abrams for destroying the romulans, this game would be much more interesting with them as strong as they ever were.

Iam enjoying this twist per se, it could span some type of faction spin off to the other Romulan factions. What i don't like is what they did to the Cardies, it sounds alot like what the US did in regards to the Japanese after WWII.
    Commander Shran - You tell Archer, that is three the pink skin owes me!
    edited October 2012
    ryan218 wrote: »

That is incorrect. :)

Here are some notable Klingon quotes:

Suvbe'chugh SuvwI' tlhuHbe' SuvwI'.
    If a warrior does not fight, he does not breathe.

maQapmeH maHIv.
    In order to succeed, we attack.

qun qon charghwI'pu''e'.
    History is written by the victors.

noH ghoblu'DI' yay quv law' Hoch quv puS.
    In war, there is nothing more honorable than victory.

reH lugh charghwI'.
    The victor is always right.

tlhIngan ngoQmey chavmeH HoH tlhInganpu'.
    Klingons kill for their own purposes.

vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh.
    Conquer what you desire.

QamvIS Hegh qaq law' torvIS yIn qaq puS.
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

jeghbe' tlhInganpu'.
    Klingons do not surrender.

wej Heghchugh vay', SuvtaH SuvwI'.
    A warrior fights to the death.

Hoch 'ebmey tIjon.
    Capture all opportunities.

bISovbejbe'DI' tImer.
    When in doubt, surprise them.

bISuv 'e' yIwIv; bISutlh 'e' yIwIvQo'.
    Choose to fight, not negotiate.

mataHmeH maSachnIS.
    To survive, we must expand.

Dubotchugh yIpummoH.
    If it's in your way, knock it down.
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    "At one time, my people and the Klingons were allies. We could be again. " If "allies" mean that the romulan space is the biggest province in the klingon empire, sure. Unless cryptic changes the Path to.... for the kdf, the klingons are still at war with the romulans. Never has anyone went from war (for what, 50 years now) to allies in a blink of an eye. Yeah, you "show up on Qu'nos". Make sure you have health insurance.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • partizan81partizan81 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    chalpen wrote: »
    "At one time, my people and the Klingons were allies. We could be again. " If "allies" mean that the romulan space is the biggest province in the klingon empire, sure. Unless cryptic changes the Path to.... for the kdf, the klingons are still at war with the romulans. Never has anyone went from war (for what, 50 years now) to allies in a blink of an eye. Yeah, you "show up on Qu'nos". Make sure you have health insurance.

I thought Klingons and Romulans swapped warp drives for cloaking devices back in the days of early lore?
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    That is incorrect. :)

Here are some notable Klingon quotes:

Suvbe'chugh SuvwI' tlhuHbe' SuvwI'.
    If a warrior does not fight, he does not breathe.

maQapmeH maHIv.
    In order to succeed, we attack.

qun qon charghwI'pu''e'.
    History is written by the victors.

noH ghoblu'DI' yay quv law' Hoch quv puS.
    In war, there is nothing more honorable than victory.

reH lugh charghwI'.
    The victor is always right.

tlhIngan ngoQmey chavmeH HoH tlhInganpu'.
    Klingons kill for their own purposes.

vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh.
    Conquer what you desire.

QamvIS Hegh qaq law' torvIS yIn qaq puS.
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

jeghbe' tlhInganpu'.
    Klingons do not surrender.

wej Heghchugh vay', SuvtaH SuvwI'.
    A warrior fights to the death.

Hoch 'ebmey tIjon.
    Capture all opportunities.

bISovbejbe'DI' tImer.
    When in doubt, surprise them.

bISuv 'e' yIwIv; bISutlh 'e' yIwIvQo'.
    Choose to fight, not negotiate.

mataHmeH maSachnIS.
    To survive, we must expand.

Dubotchugh yIpummoH.
    If it's in your way, knock it down.

I fail to see any sayings there which directly disprove my point.
    edited October 2012

I wonder what the people of Indri VIII say about that...
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I fail to see any sayings there which directly disprove my point.

200 years ago, sure.
    But for the past 50 years the klingons have been in Romulan space attacking everything that moves.
    Now, cryptic dropped the ball in now having any KDF vs Romulan things to do about these in game, but it is in the Path to... as well as the Needs of the Many Star Trek online book.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Let me understand this.

You think that news functionality that will take an enormous developer resources is really something to desire given the current lack of content?

You would rather read arbitrary, repetitive, and 100% pointless lists of people & SB-related information that makes absolutely no impact to gameplay whatsoever?

I don't know if we can quantify the "enormous developer resources"... I just think its a decent idea that the poster had... and think that making it specific to theplayers fleet (should they belong to one) is a pretty decent idea. Given the fact that some of the news is already captured... i don't think we are talking about a extraordinarily large amount of time. So yes, I find it desirable. It enhances game play, gives members something to shoot for, etc.

Don't under estimate the "I want my name up in lights" as being a motivator... why else would they post the PVP results... so we can look and be proud of being number 1, killing the most people, staying alive, healing people) etc.

Lets talk about lack of content for a second... can we all, for one moment, agree that no matter how much content is released... there will always be a "lack of content" issue. There is no way Cryptic (alone) can keep up... even with new content every week.

We, as a player base (at least on the forums) are a pretty demanding bunch. If a new mission comes out, it will entertain us for what... a week on the outside before we are bored and demanding more content? Within days of new content being released (hell minutes here on the forums) there will already be ney-sayers, and boo-boo lips, pouting over how they finished the new content, and are already bored.... now what... Heck, I've already had my fill of Into the Hive on Tribble..

There are two ways out of the content issue:

1) Open ended content... which essentially translates to open pvp for territory/holding/asset control that changes with who is logged in.

2) Take advantage of the Foundry... I know its been said many times (with both cheers and jeers)... there are some extremely talented Foundry authors out there that have come up with missions that I think are pretty darn close to being Feature Episode quality... granted no cut scene's etc... There are missiosn that fit all types of game play style (Heavy combat to heavy dialog). Give these people more assets to work with... let them assist with content, while development can then focus on mechanics.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
    edited October 2012

Alrighty then, if you must :)

QotDI' gheD tlhejbe' wamwI'.
    The hunter does not lie down with the prey.

My personal favorite:

bIQongtaHvIS nItlhejchugh targhmey; bIvemDI' nItlhej ghIlab ghewmey.
    If you sleep with targs, you'll wake up with glob flies.

Now who said one could not have fun in Klingon LMAO ;)
    edited October 2012
    partizan81 wrote: »
    I thought Klingons and Romulans swapped warp drives for cloaking devices back in the days of early lore?

That was before Romulans took their birthright (Khitomer)
  • canis36canis36 Member Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Personally I hope so. This is not the Romulans I know or desire. Everything about the Romulans surrounds their marshal history.

"By the 24th century, the government of Romulus is dependent upon the Tal Shiar, the Romulan Secret Police, to maintain order and stability among both civilians and the military. The Tal Shiar is known for its brutal tactics, which include routine kidnapping, torture, and assassination. Many Romulans fear even expressing dissenting opinions as not to spark the interest of the Tal Shiar. There also seems to be some degree of tension between the military and the Tal Shiar.

Romulan society is based upon a highly structured caste system. Unlike most of the highly evolved species in the Alpha and Beta quadrants, Romulans still practice slavery, and frequently use conquered races for forced slave labor and shock troops.

Romulans tend to be highly xenophobic, engaging in extended periods of isolationism, and can be perceived as outright racist to other species, believing themselves to be superior. At least some Romulans believe that one day the Romulan Empire will rule the entire galaxy.

Romulan society does not appear to be gender biased. Both males and females command warships, can obtain high political positions and can be members of the Tal Shiar."

I'm sorry, but somewhere down the line Cryptic have super-imposed the Cardassian Depata Council post-Dominion storyline over that of the Romulan.

They could have come up with something a little more original that "Please feed me."

If anything, one of the following would have fitted into the storyline:

A Romulan-Cardassian alliance would be more plausible, given that they aided one another during the Battle of the Omarion Nebula, and given that the Cardassian True Way are themselves trying to return Cardassia to militaristic rule.

The Klingon Empire cannot abide weakness. They would have launched at full scale attack against the Romulans when they were at their weakness not sent diplomats!

The Romulans efforts to subjugate the Reman's would have intensified. This makes the Remans appear on equal footing to the Romulans. They are not, and their own planet was also destroyed making them even weaker.

The Federation I could see living-up to the humanitarian effort.

This was a HUGE PvP opportunity, that Cryptic has failed to capture on. HUGE.

Did you miss one of the earlier Dev Blog posts? The Tal'Shiar is still out there. The rest of the Romulan Empire is descending into chaos and civil war as each faction tries to claim the now empty throne of the Empress. These romulans are but a small portion trying to break away from the rest and do something new. They've reached out to the Remans, yes, but that is probably equal parts pragmatism (there's a chance the Remans would go after them as "soft" targets) as it is out of genuine desire to reconcile with them.

On the subject of the Klingons sending diplomats though? Yeah, that's not J'mpok's style, but a lot of the lore we see seems to suggest that J'mpok is beginning to lose support amongst the great houses and this might be something done out of political necessity rather than any real desire to be diplomatic on his part. He's rash, hot-headed, and probably an Undine in disguise, but he's not stupid.
    edited October 2012
    canis36 wrote: »
    Did you miss one of the earlier Dev Blog posts? The Tal'Shiar is still out there. The rest of the Romulan Empire is descending into chaos and civil war as each faction tries to claim the now empty throne of the Empress. These romulans are but a small portion trying to break away from the rest and do something new. They've reached out to the Remans, yes, but that is probably equal parts pragmatism (there's a chance the Remans would go after them as "soft" targets) as it is out of genuine desire to reconcile with them.

On the subject of the Klingons sending diplomats though? Yeah, that's not J'mpok's style, but a lot of the lore we see seems to suggest that J'mpok is beginning to lose support amongst the great houses and this might be something done out of political necessity rather than any real desire to be diplomatic on his part. He's rash, hot-headed, and probably an Undine in disguise, but he's not stupid.

Yes, I did read the dev post and thats the part I have a problem with. Romulans are just too xenophobic. They would rather abide a tyrant than accept an olive branch. Those are resisted would have been rounded-up and slaughtered. Some real world examples "Romulan"-inspirations Gene drew from: Caesar. Nero. Napoleon. - these men would abide no equal. They would rather see they empire crumble that share power.

Shinzon's actions against the Romula Senate is keypoint here. The Romulan military exterminated them all because they refused to join forces with him.

Every Star Trek Romulan-archetype created plays out that "fight to the bitter end, no matter the cost."
    edited October 2012
    ... Yeah, that's not J'mpok's style, but a lot of the lore we see seems to suggest that J'mpok is beginning to lose support amongst the great houses and this might be something done out of political necessity rather than any real desire to be diplomatic on his part. He's rash, hot-headed, and probably an Undine in disguise, but he's not stupid.

But letting the Archenemy of the Empire in the Great Hall is the stupidest thing he could do. As he will loose his last support.
  • twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    And still...

Vaguely, I get a creeping idea in the back of my head, reading that.

How hilarious would it be if they dropped a playable Romulan faction on us, at S7 launch?

Most unlikely, granted, and a great feat of secrecy, but boy, would the playerbase be caught unawares.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2012

I've been fuzzy on J'mpok anyway.

He's a warmonger but not a xenophobe. (I do feel like there are hints he's in the pocket of the Orion Syndicate, though and he's having Orions seduce his political rivals and sway them towards his positions.)

He's backed by the remnants of Duras but initiated war on the Romulans.

I'm going to say, too, that if you ignore most of the books and stick to the shows, it sure seems to me like you have Federation-friendly Klingons and Romulan-friendly Klingons and that they're opposed to one another no one should be opposed to both... and the idea that Klingons hate both groups seems to me to be a fan interpretation that's bled over from trying to reconcile Worf's prejudices with other Klingons' prejudices.

But that doing so is almost like saying that some Bargles (made up name) are plaid supremacists and some Bargles are plaid supporters who hate striped people, so Bargles must hate both plaid people and striped people.

I think the sounder interpretation is that you have pro-Romulan Klingons and you have pro-Federation Klingons and that there has always been and remains a rift there. Praxis and the movies overall caused the pro-Federation Klingons to come to power. The Romulans attacked Khitomer in response to that and the pro-Romulan Klingons were stripped of power and/or resorted to deception. With J'mpok, the pro-Romulan Klingons have reclaimed power from the pro-Federation Klingons.

I think a take like this is almost essential to understanding Duras or J'Dan.

And the books have tended to deviate and are just unfortunately being over-relied on as sources by Klingon and Romulan fans because they wouldn't have enough details to form a portrait of Klingon or Romulan culture from otherwise.
  • kwiat007kwiat007 Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So the romulan nonsense story continues. I guess that after s7 launch I'll have to stop reading the quest text boxes, this will improve my experience greatly.
    [SIGPIC]Join Date: August 2009[/SIGPIC]
    I live in an alternate universe, where j.j. abrams and cryptic never existed,
    where R.S.E. is what it always should be.
  • canis36canis36 Member Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yes, I did read the dev post and thats the part I have a problem with. Romulans are just too xenophobic. They would rather abide a tyrant than accept an olive branch. Those are resisted would have been rounded-up and slaughtered. Some real world examples "Romulan"-inspirations Gene drew from: Caesar. Nero. Napoleon. - these men would abide no equal. They would rather see they empire crumble that share power.

Shinzon's actions against the Romula Senate is keypoint here. The Romulan military exterminated them all because they refused to join forces with him.

So I suppose that any society which has been characterized by brutal oppressive regimes never changes? Never has any dissensters that fall through the cracks? Never has any opportunists that are willing to change their tune if it gets them out of the fire?

You're being far to narrow in your interpretations of the Romulan peoples and subscribing to the "Molothic Society" view that while prevalent in many Sci-Fi series is subverted as often as it is upheld in Star Trek. And with Romulan society coming apart at the seams as it has been since Shinzon staged his coup - Hobus only exacerbated the problem - you're going to see more of them willing to try new ways of doing things, especially if it means their skin stays intact just one day longer.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    But letting the Archenemy of the Empire in the Great Hall is the stupidest thing he could do. As he will loose his last support.

See... This strikes me as the sort of thinking that creeps in from reading the books.

Going by the shows, the Romulans were and remained allies with a lot of powerful Klingons. It was people like Worf, Martok, and Gowron who were anti-Romulan.

But I don't think you can take them as wholly representative any more than you can take J'Dan and Duras as wholly representative.
    edited October 2012
    I've been fuzzy on J'mpok anyway.

He's a warmonger but not a xenophobe. (I do feel like there are hints he's in the pocket of the Orion Syndicate, though and he's having Orions seduce his political rivals and sway them towards his positions.)

He's backed by the remnants of Duras but initiated war on the Romulans.

I'm going to say, too, that if you ignore most of the books and stick to the shows, it sure seems to me like you have Federation-friendly Klingons and Romulan-friendly Klingons and that they're opposed to one another no one should be opposed to both... and the idea that Klingons hate both groups seems to me to be a fan interpretation that's bled over from trying to reconcile Worf's prejudices with other Klingons' prejudices.

But that doing so is almost like saying that some Bargles (made up name) are plaid supremacists and some Bargles are plaid supporters who hate striped people, so Bargles must hate both plaid people and striped people.

I think the sounder interpretation is that you have pro-Romulan Klingons and you have pro-Federation Klingons and that there has always been and remains a rift there. Praxis and the movies overall caused the pro-Federation Klingons to come to power. The Romulans attacked Khitomer in response to that and the pro-Romulan Klingons were stripped of power and/or resorted to deception. With J'mpok, the pro-Romulan Klingons have reclaimed power from the pro-Federation Klingons.

I think a take like this is almost essential to understanding Duras or J'Dan.

And the books have tended to deviate and are just unfortunately being over-relied on as sources by Klingon and Romulan fans because they wouldn't have enough details to form a portrait of Klingon or Romulan culture from otherwise.

Nicely put there mate. Makes somewhat sense.

If that is the story arc, it will depend on how well Cryptic define the internal strife what plays out within the Klingon Empire, and the Romulans.

Even the Federations Section 31 could be featured as trying to subvert the peace process similar to the Leyton Coup.

It would make for some interesting content to be sure.

I'm not entirely against what Cryptic have decided to go with. I'm just a old Star Trekkie, who would like to see the essence of Star Trek maintained.
This discussion has been closed.