What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Crash! (Resolved! Server is back up)

Comments

• Options
    carterjohns1209carterjohns1209 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    To "refresh" the Launcher, I usually just turn it off and restart it. Only takes a second, and always works. Realizing that outages are inconvenient I can see why people are frustrated. Without taking sides or defending anyone per se, though I'm a Silver, I'm one that spends money for points, and who plays daily. There are a lot of hours the game is operational (which I can attest to because I'm on it a LOT.) Not the most practical advice, but when STO frustrates me I use metaphysical reverse psychology. I pretend that I could care less if the game is up, and whatever is going wrong resolves itself. Something like the perversity of only finding things when you AREN'T looking for them. Try it! It certainly beats foaming at the mouth and raging because we can't all have immediate and instant gratification, all the time.

@carterjohns1209, various Federation and KDF Officers
  • Options
    khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Apparently the server exploded... I guess it happens.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • Options
    darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited October 2012
    Cryptics incompetence shines through again, no matter, back to GW2 and Tor I go.....
  • Options
    divvydenddivvydend Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    To all the haters ... you have a choice, pure and simple ... if you dont like it, go elsewhere.

Having worked with computers for more than 30 years the one thing I have found that has NOT improved with advances in technology is reliability.

Get a life ... hardware fails ... and from the way the message on the launcher is worded I would guess that is what has happened.

But hey what do I know ... I dare say all you young know-it-alls will tell me I'm talking out my rear end. OK so troll away if you want.
  • Options
    treffelltreffell Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    well i will ask this again since i can;t find an answer on the net

and whike this is down

yelklow colored cannon shot , or beam shot

does it exsist?
  • Options
    nicolerae31nicolerae31 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    why is everybody assuming this was an intentional action on Cryptic's part? Maybe, just maybe a piece of hardware unexpectedly failed. Inconvenient as hell, yes ... sucks that Tour was up, yes ...

But maybe just maybe they were caught surprised too

I just said the same thing on another thread. Glad to see other people can give the benefit of the doubt still also.

Really people, **** happens sometimes, its just a game, if you miss out on farming something, so be it, its not the end of the world.

Oh and other MMO's have indeed had unexpected crashes. Its not something special that only happens to STO.
    ~Nicole'Rae

Fleet Admiral XII Victrix Lupas
  • Options
    tommyatstarfleettommyatstarfleet Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Glad i wasn't in the middle of a purchase when the shard went offline. That would have seriously sucked!
  • Options
    zabonamzabonam Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    darkenzedd wrote: »
    Cryptics incompetence shines through again, no matter, back to ... Tor I go.....

Pay2run

I'd never go back there, ever.
  • Options
    darkravenxp32darkravenxp32 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    tetonica wrote: »
    I love the servers going down. The self-important nerd raging makes me laugh every time :D

Yeah, the nerdraging is like a train wreck, you wanna look away from the insanity but can't.

Seriously though, you think when a server abruptly goes down they're gonna do a flyby notice? TRIBBLE happens, and they can't always let us know immediately when it does.

Calm down, life's too short to rage over A GAME.
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    tetonica wrote: »
    I love the servers going down. The self-important nerd raging makes me laugh every time :D

That is the best part of any downtime. :D

It's just a game people. Everything will be as it was when the game resumes...

Same missions, same grinds, same gear... Same as it ever was.

Not like you are missing any sort of unique one-time event or opportunity.
  • Options
    novabricknovabrick Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I would like to complain and rage a little but it takes to much effort and emotions
  • Options
    michaelteiguemichaelteigue Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Servers go down, hamsters die, tribbles cause troubles ... these are all facts of life.

But even so, surely one Dev could take 5 minutes to post an excuse, however feeble, in a prominent place where members can read it without having to search through endless other threads for it. It would be common courtesy to paying customers if nothing else.
    Disclaimer: This post is in no way intended to be a troll or flame or slur of any other kind towards anyone or anything either directly or indirectly involved in or with, or not involved in or with, Star Trek Online and I proffer my sincerest apologies to anyone who believes it is directed to the aforementioned.
  • Options
    hank900hank900 Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It does not say closed for Maintence on my screen, looks like they ran into a problem and are fixing it. This happens folks, sometimes patches do not go so smooth. YES it sucks when it goes down, I don't like it either but it happens.

Some of you are to tuff on these guys, they don't do this just to TRIBBLE us off you know. I also paid for a lifetime membership, and I like the game and have had WAY MORE up time then down. They will NEVER please everyone at anytime ever. Its human nature that not everyone is pleased with what is put out to us, and FREE by the way.
    http://www.1279sto.com[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    one8voiceone8voice Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    divvydend wrote: »
    To all the haters ... you have a choice, pure and simple ... if you dont like it, go elsewhere.

Having worked with computers for more than 30 years the one thing I have found that has NOT improved with advances in technology is reliability.

Get a life ... hardware fails ... and from the way the message on the launcher is worded I would guess that is what has happened.

But hey what do I know ... I dare say all you young know-it-alls will tell me I'm talking out my rear end. OK so troll away if you want.

I say your full of it.. Also? Go ahead and pull that "Ask me anything so I can go google it" Role.. Those people that complained> I know for a fact that admiral thor as payed like $1,200 Plus.. Its called freedom of speech.. So yeah.. HAVE FUN WITH IT.. :cool:
  • Options
    edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    themarie wrote: »
    That is the best part of any downtime. :D

It's just a game people. Everything will be as it was when the game resumes...

Can you quote those who rage because I see none ? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Servers go down, hamsters die, tribbles cause troubles ... these are all facts of life.

But even so, surely one Dev could take 5 minutes to post an excuse, however feeble, in a prominent place where members can read it without having to search through endless other threads for it. It would be common courtesy to paying customers if nothing else.

Here here.

I'm not gonna rage and say "IM QUITTING STO OMG". Nope, I'll be right back here when she comes back up (or sometime thereafter...).

But some community notice of goings-on would be appreciated.
  • Options
    outlaw51825outlaw51825 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    trek21 wrote: »
    There was no reason to derail the thread...

We were discussing the unexpected downtime, not every single issue you perceive is connected to it.

I'm sorry i just cant tolerate mindless brownnosing and slurping of dev kool-aid when changes like what's being talked about are coming. This game is slowly and inexoribly falling off the rails and the devs just seem to enjoy making it worse. I dont know nor care if this latest unannounced downtime is a dev issue. I do know that TRIBBLE like this makes it a far easier decision of where to put my damned money.

The Outrage is Legitimate at this point. Sorry.
  • Options
    xxxhellspawnyxxxxxxhellspawnyxxx Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This is stupid, you pay, you support the game yet Perfect World/Cryptic can say "**** YOU" and do what ever they want because those who support the game? Oh they haven't purchased ANY rights whatsoever... not EVEN the simple rights such as being treated like human beings!!!

GG, PWE/Cryptic is another Empire that don't give a **** about you.

PS: I'm not spending a single red ****ing dime on you ****s from PWE/Cryptic.... **** you. I'm encouraging EVERYONE TO STOP BUYING FROM THE STORE... until this NEVER happens again. Players NEED notice and SHOULD have it. Enough with this Secret TRIBBLE SS bull****. This game doesn't have terrorists going around AYAYAYAYA and blowing up computer kernels/capacitors.

There's only SO MANY TIMES account security can be an excuse....

Yeah, broken hardware is a direct attack against your rights. Get a life.
  • Options
    coryb77coryb77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This is all just a big conspiracy to prevent me from getting Energy Credits from the Tour the Galaxy event. You jerks! :mad:

Oh well. Hopefully the servers come up soon cause I'm pretty bored. haha
  • Options
    ghostopera6ghostopera6 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    novabrick wrote: »
    I would like to complain and rage a little but it takes to much effort and emotions

Agreed.

Time to sharpen my Tetris skills, and bust out the dubstep.
    Spartan Corps
    Founding Chairmen and Director of Fleet Administration and Foreign Affairs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    down time is not important

what is important is matching chroiniton torpedos and mines to the color orf like beams and cannon
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited October 2012
    Hi Captains,

We're working on bringing the server back up as fast as possible. It's almost there so please stand by.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    coryb77coryb77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This is stupid, you pay, you support the game yet Perfect World/Cryptic can say "**** YOU" and do what ever they want because those who support the game? Oh they haven't purchased ANY rights whatsoever... not EVEN the simple rights such as being treated like human beings!!!

GG, PWE/Cryptic is another Empire that don't give a **** about you.

PS: I'm not spending a single red ****ing dime on you ****s from PWE/Cryptic.... **** you. I'm encouraging EVERYONE TO STOP BUYING FROM THE STORE... until this NEVER happens again. Players NEED notice and SHOULD have it. Enough with this Secret TRIBBLE SS bull****. This game doesn't have terrorists going around AYAYAYAYA and blowing up computer kernels/capacitors.

There's only SO MANY TIMES account security can be an excuse....

:eek::eek::eek:

Oh my.
  • Options
    batrayedolivebatrayedolive Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2012

ya well we are forgeting THIS .... IS .... STAR TREK online
  • Options
    whiteley1986whiteley1986 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I just said the same thing on another thread. Glad to see other people can give the benefit of the doubt still also.

Really people, **** happens sometimes, its just a game, if you miss out on farming something, so be it, its not the end of the world.

Oh and other MMO's have indeed had unexpected crashes. Its not something special that only happens to STO.

well said, hardware fails, servers go down, maybe a full daily server reset would be a good idea for them, same time every day type of thing. i aint no expert but that can only be good to power down for just 5 mins, works for a user end pc so y not for a server?
  • Options
    kasandarokasandaro Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    psymantis wrote: »
    Recent? Lol

Agreed. As bad as this week's been, this spring was thrilling with the disconnects every other day.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    see

the genral mager said it will be up sdoon

maybe they were down to add yellow beams and cannon shot
  • Options
    nicolerae31nicolerae31 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hi Captains,

We're working on bringing the server back up as fast as possible. It's almost there so please stand by.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thank You!!
    ~Nicole'Rae

Fleet Admiral XII Victrix Lupas
  • Options
    astralstorm#3516 astralstorm Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Well its all very nice of you Computer Techies to say "it may be unexpected" or "it may not be their fault" but I have been working in the Computer Industry for 30+ years myself and one thing I do know, is that an unexpected hardware failure doesn't wait until 3pm GMT or any other time exactly on the hour.
  • Options
    arcain2371arcain2371 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I think with a big online game like STO your bound to have technical glitches. However that doesn't excuse the fact that unlike most major online game STO still doesn't have some back up servers. So I guess to save money they are using recycled servers instead of state of the art.

I'm not complaining about it because I only play for free. But when I think of those people whom actually paid a life time membership or even worse the people paying a monthly subscription I feel kind seek in my stomack.

If it ain't broken don't try to fix it. :)
This discussion has been closed.