Options

Crash! (Resolved! Server is back up)

123457»

Comments

• Options
    levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hi Captains,

We're working on bringing the server back up as fast as possible. It's almost there so please stand by.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

You will never be allowed to sleep again at this rate:eek:
  • Options
    jaeblaze2012jaeblaze2012 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Well its all very nice of you Computer Techies to say "it may be unexpected" or "it may not be their fault" but I have been working in the Computer Industry for 30+ years myself and one thing I do know, is that an unexpected hardware failure doesn't wait until 3pm GMT or any other time exactly on the hour.

it was around 3 mins past... not on the dot...
  • Options
    jdhenneseyjdhennesey Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    See, I know its not the end of the world, just very annoying, but it is tremendously irritating when I come on here, just for a quick hour after work as I can't any other time...and its down!

I stopped playing STO for like a year, partly because this kind of thing kept happening......its pretty poor that a big company that runs Online games can't seem to keep it running for five minutes at a time. The fact they always seem to schedule maintainence at a time that is massively inconvenient for European audiences annoys me also, it does feel a bit like

'Oh hey guys in the UK and Europe! Just got home? Want to play STO? WELL YOU CAN'T!!! We are doing maintainence and don't really care if your annoyed...'

Oh well...poor level of customer service all round, I know these things happen in online games but its still not really acceptable. Especially when it happens often.

Oh well, I suppose going outside and talking to people is back on the agenda...=)
  • Options
    batrayedolivebatrayedolive Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    i just noticed somthing when we ask for somthing it happens.... LETS ASK FOR CHOCLATE RAIN
  • Options
    treffelltreffell Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    tell me about it

i have been working at Hardees for wuite awhile and all kinds of stuff happen like every day and people don;t show

i agree with the thanks tho

thanks there generasl manager for a respjnse

i wish my general mangaer would like tell me sooner then 5 minutes that i have ott come in or somethng
  • Options
    rikwesselsrikwessels Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    well said, hardware fails, servers go down, maybe a full daily server reset would be a good idea for them, same time every day type of thing. i aint no expert but that can only be good to power down for just 5 mins, works for a user end pc so y not for a server?

It doesn't work like that . In a company you always have at least 2 servers - called PDC and BDC - for precisely that reason : if one goes down , the other one ( which is in effect a copy of the primary server) takes over . Companies can't simply say : "we'll not work today folks because we have to unplug our computers " . a Company can't even do that for 5 minutes because everything is plugged into those systems ....
  • Options
    christarainbluechristarainblue Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hi Captains,

We're working on bringing the server back up as fast as possible. It's almost there so please stand by.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thank you!
  • Options
    bauer6bauer6 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    personally i think cryptic should give us all compensation by way of energy credits, lets say 1 or 2 mill for the un-announcement.

i would be happy with that
  • Options
    sesshimatosesshimato Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Well its all very nice of you Computer Techies to say "it may be unexpected" or "it may not be their fault" but I have been working in the Computer Industry for 30+ years myself and one thing I do know, is that an unexpected hardware failure doesn't wait until 3pm GMT or any other time exactly on the hour.

Nope, it usualy happens when there is stress on the system. And believe me, there is stress on the system. I too have ''been working in the Computer Industry'' for roughly 25 years, and it was NOT something totally planned. The server gave off 3 different messages before the login server was no longer responsive.

At one point it said logins were disabled, then it said under maintenance, then there was no connection period. Unlike most people, I take screenshots to see what is going on. Learned that when this game first came out.

Seriously, stop talking out of your butt.
  • Options
    psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    "I've had it with these mother****ing errors in this mother****ing game!":cool:
  • Options
    ghostopera6ghostopera6 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    rikwessels wrote: »
    It doesn't work like that . In a company you always have at least 2 servers - called PDC and BDC - for precisely that reason : if one goes down , the other one ( which is in effect a copy of the primary server) takes over . Companies can't simply say : "we'll not work today folks because we have to unplug our computers " . a Company can't even do that for 5 minutes because everything is plugged into those systems ....

I agree, unless both drop at the same time, there is no reason to have blackouts like this
    Spartan Corps
    Founding Chairmen and Director of Fleet Administration and Foreign Affairs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ghostopera6ghostopera6 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    bauer6 wrote: »
    personally i think cryptic should give us all compensation by way of energy credits, lets say 1 or 2 mill for the un-announcement.

i would be happy with that

I second that.
    Spartan Corps
    Founding Chairmen and Director of Fleet Administration and Foreign Affairs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    khainestarkhainestar Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Actually I have known hardware to go pop when it is repowered. A router or switch that has run perfectly for 3 years. Turn it off for a firmware update and it just won't turn on again. Classic example is a harddrive that works fine when it is powered and warm, cools down while maintenance is happening. Then when it starts to take some load warms up and pops a bearing.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    One thing I will say though is this is not convincing me to upgrade or start putting money into the game :confused:
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    at Hardees sometines the credit card machine thing doesnt work

and we to like just take cash and customers get mad but we have a back up but the mangaeer has to get it casue its in a drawer

i hear ya
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited October 2012
    levi3 wrote: »
    You will never be allowed to sleep again at this rate:eek:

I was actually asleep lol my 7:33am alarm (lucky number) woke me up and then all my tweets came in.

We're just a few minutes away from unlocking the server.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Unlock? you put it in jail for going down? :eek:

:D
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    adrianm63 wrote: »
    Unlock? you put it in jail for going down? :eek:

Most likely, the server glitched, and went into the upgrading lockdown they use when they put new code on it.

I saw when I was tryign to log back in before heading to the forums, there was something that said it was refusing login attempts, and it was locked.

Then it said down for maintenance, then no response at all.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    also probable is someone was trying to break in

so they had to lock it

at Hardees we always lock up

cause people will take boxes of frozen stuff

thats it then, they had to shut down because someone was takking lock boxes

that the most plausible
  • Options
    michaelteiguemichaelteigue Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    A post made yesterday welcoming new additions to the Community Modeartion team said:

"These three, dedicated, passionate players will be working alongside me, askray and kalecto to continue making our forums a fun, informative and welcoming environment."

Note the word I have highlighted -- informative.

When does the informative part begin? They have not once informed us about what is happening!
    Disclaimer: This post is in no way intended to be a troll or flame or slur of any other kind towards anyone or anything either directly or indirectly involved in or with, or not involved in or with, Star Trek Online and I proffer my sincerest apologies to anyone who believes it is directed to the aforementioned.
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    All the daily grinding that goes on in this game causes dust to build up in the drive-arrays.

If the bins aren't emptied daily it can cause one or more drives to lock tight until the repairman gets in there and greases the bearings.

• Options
    tostrekkie7tostrekkie7 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I was actually asleep lol my 7:33am alarm (lucky number) woke me up and then all my tweets came in.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Hey look everybody, a DEV, DOGPILE!!!!!!! LOL
  • Options
    batrayedolivebatrayedolive Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    say this whole fourm while listening to tay zonday chocolate rain try not to laugh cause i cant
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    A post made yesterday welcoming new additions to the Community Modeartion team said:

?These three, dedicated, passionate players will be working alongside me, askray and kalecto to continue making our forums a fun, informative and welcoming environment.?

Note the word I have highlighted ? informative.

When does the informative part begin? They have not once informed us about what is happening!

Yes they have, they said the server was locked down. Most likely by accident. Please read the forums again. Or, here's a novel approach, don't post till you read everything.
  • Options
    edited October 2012

?These three, dedicated, passionate players will be working alongside me, askray and kalecto to continue making our forums a fun, informative and welcoming environment.?

Note the word I have highlighted ? informative.

Didn't the Brandon fella let us know what was happening just now? I agree that's not going into detail but I'd rather they'd let us know how long we are waiting and get on with fixing it than get into details and waste time...
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    rikwessels wrote: »

Sharding is a little different than setting up an LDAP domain.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited October 2012
    The server is now back up!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
This discussion has been closed.