test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to build a sci to make people throw stuff, 2.0

Comments

• bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Just so we're clear where is the Report Post button on this god awful forum.

Un-fortunately, the Report Post functionality is still MIA. Tickets may be submitted here: (https://support.perfectworld.com/) or via email to customerservice@perfectworld.com.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • tuathaantuathaan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I play a Fed Sci-Sci with a Energy Siphon, Doff-enhanced Tractor Beam, and Polaron (recently converted to Polarized Disrupter) build.

It's fun, but I doubt my exclusively fleet PvE experience really works it enough to see the flaws. Is there any way to make a viable Fed Sci-Sci Drain build?
  • ghostyandfrostyghostyandfrosty Member Posts: 864
    edited October 2012
    tuathaan wrote: »
    I play a Fed Sci-Sci with a Energy Siphon, Doff-enhanced Tractor Beam, and Polaron (recently converted to Polarized Disrupter) build.

It's fun, but I doubt my exclusively fleet PvE experience really works it enough to see the flaws. Is there any way to make a viable Fed Sci-Sci Drain build?

If you would post up what you have and I'll see if I can tweak it. There are viable fed energy drain builds, my sci recon right now is a drain boat. (only she has polarized tets instead of lolaron. I keep meaning to put some lolaron on her but just dont' get around to it much)
    edited October 2012
    If you would post up what you have and I'll see if I can tweak it. There are viable fed energy drain builds, my sci recon right now is a drain boat. (only she has polarized tets instead of lolaron. I keep meaning to put some lolaron on her but just dont' get around to it much)

I recently posted a version this over in the shipyards, sorry if reposting it here is bad etiquette.

My current ship is a Wells Temporal Science Vessel.

Here is a link to my build

Fore Weapons:
    2x [Dual Polarized Disruptor Beam Bank XI][Acc][Dam]
    [Rapid Fire Missile Launcher]

Aft Weapons:
    3x [Polarized Disruptor Turret XI][Acc][Dam]

[Assimilated Subtranswarp Engines]
    [Assimilated Deflector Array]
    [Assimilated Regenerative Shield Array]

Engineering Consoles:
    [Console - Universal - Assimilated Module]
    [Console - Universal - Tipler Cylinder]
    [Console - Universal - Subspace Jumper]

Science Consoles:
    3x [Console - Science - Flow Capacitor]
    [Console - Universal - Isometric Charge]

Tactical Consoles:
    3x [Console - Tactical - Disruptor Induction Coil]

Devices:
    [Red Matter Capacitor]

BOffs:
    LtCmdr Univ: (Tac) TTeam I, T.Spread I, T.Spread II
    Lt Univ: (Eng) EPtS I, EPtS II
    Ens Eng: ETeam I
    Lt Sci: STeam I, HazE II
    Cmdr Sci: TracB I, TracB II, ES II, ES III

DOffs:
    Projectile Weapons Officer
    Warp Core Engineer
    Tractor Beam Officer
    Sensors Officer
    Developmental Lab Scientist

I keep EPtS on constant cooldown throughout fights, and the DOff proc hits pretty often for a nice power boost.

I typically also keep Tractor and ES on constant cooldown.

I don't deal much damage, I had been running Polaron Mk XII Borg weapons, but (very) recently decided to hit the exchange and swap out to Polarized Disruptors hoping to deal a bit more.

I use the [Rapid Fire Missile Launcher] with T.Spread to deal with fighters and torps without needing to re-target.
    edited October 2012
    I recently posted a version this over in the shipyards, sorry if reposting it here is bad etiquette.

My current ship is a Wells Temporal Science Vessel.

Here is a link to my build

Fore Weapons:
    2x [Dual Polarized Disruptor Beam Bank XI][Acc][CrtH]
    [Chroniton Torpedo Launcher or Quantum. Acc, CrtD, CrtH]

Aft Weapons:
    3x [Polarized Disruptor Turret XI][Acc][CrtH]

[Assimilated Subtranswarp Engines]
    [Assimilated Deflector Array]
    [Assimilated Regenerative Shield Array]

Engineering Consoles:
    [Console - Universal - Assimilated Module]
    [Console - Universal - Tipler Cylinder]
    [Console - Universal - Subspace Jumper]

Science Consoles:
    2x Field Generator, 1x Flow Cap.
    [Console - Universal - Isometric Charge]

Tactical Consoles:
    3x [Console - Tactical - Disruptor Induction Coil]

Devices:
    [Red Matter Capacitor]

BOffs:
    LtCmdr Univ: (Tac) TTeam I, T.Spread I, T.Spread II
    Lt Univ: (Eng) EPtS I, EPtS II
    Ens Eng: Emergency Power to Aux1
    Lt Sci: Tractor1, HazE II
    Cmdr Sci: TracB I, Sci Team 2, ES II, Tykens Rift 3

DOffs:
    Gravimetric Scientist
    Warp Core Engineer
    Tractor Beam Officer
    Developmental Lab scientist (blue at least)
    Developmental Lab Scientist (purple)

I keep EPtS on constant cooldown throughout fights, and the DOff proc hits pretty often for a nice power boost.

I typically also keep Tractor and ES on constant cooldown.

I don't deal much damage, I had been running Polaron Mk XII Borg weapons, but (very) recently decided to hit the exchange and swap out to Polarized Disruptors hoping to deal a bit more.

I use the [Rapid Fire Missile Launcher] with T.Spread to deal with fighters and torps without needing to re-target.

Changes are made in the quote. :) Tractor1 is every bit as good as 2 is, and ST2s shield heal is Much more substantial than ST1s. With the second doff you'll also get it into global cool down. I also put TR3 in there, because it is an AOE drain, and with the doff is -every- effective at reducing subsystem power. (every bit as good as ES3 to a single target.)

I changed the torp as well, because chronitons are very handy proc wise. And they get a bonus with the temporal set.

Also, feel free to swap between TR3 and Viral Matrix 3. (though you'll need 2 systems engineers if you go Viral)
    edited October 2012
    Changes are made in the quote. :) Tractor1 is every bit as good as 2 is, and ST2s shield heal is Much more substantial than ST1s. With the second doff you'll also get it into global cool down. I also put TR3 in there, because it is an AOE drain, and with the doff is -every- effective at reducing subsystem power. (every bit as good as ES3 to a single target.)

I changed the torp as well, because chronitons are very handy proc wise. And they get a bonus with the temporal set.

Also, feel free to swap between TR3 and Viral Matrix 3. (though you'll need 2 systems engineers if you go Viral)

Great information about swapping Tractor 1 and ST2 and adding the second DOff.

TR3 sounds good; however, I'm worried about the power loss without cycling ES3 and ES2, which (with Red Matter, and the WCE BOff) maintains nearly 4x125 power.

I assume, given the lack of DPS and survivability of my build, more drain is better than more power.
    edited October 2012
    Great information about swapping Tractor 1 and ST2 and adding the second DOff.

TR3 sounds good; however, I'm worried about the power loss without cycling ES3 and ES2, which (with Red Matter, and the WCE BOff) maintains nearly 4x125 power.

I assume, given the lack of DPS and survivability of my build, more drain is better than more power.

Yeppers. That and if you can find a home again for the Warp core doff your power levels will do a long way to recovery.

Oh I also forgot change your shields to Maco :) That's another bonus 10 right there.
  • rahadamanthrahadamanth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Quick question, I was comparing the Wells to the Orb/recluse, and seeing that besides the Wells console, the Orb weaver has better BO placement, while the wells has slightly better turn and super slightly better shields. I'm planning out a build, and am wondering either to get the lobi store temporal set, or the Wells. opened my boxes already and cant have both atm.

currently running orb weaver for drain,

TB1, HAZ2, ST3(tanking) or TR2(offensive)
    TT1
    EPTS1, EPTS2, Extend Shields 2(tanking) or EWP(offensive)
    TB1, HAZ2, TSS3, ES3
    POL1

Full Borg set
    -shield tractor beam officer
    lab scientist
    exocomp
    tactical team conn offficer
    + energy warp core engineer

going the temporal lobi set I would probably do shutdown

ST1, HAZ2, PSW1
    HYT1
    EPTS1 RSP2 EWP1
    ST1, TSS2, TBR2, VM3

Wells worth not getting the temporal set?
  • rudiefix1rudiefix1 Member Posts: 420
    edited October 2012
    With all the "off topic" stuff, I guess its time to throw stuff for the 3rd time, and make a 3.0 thread ;)

Maybe its wise to make 2 threads:
    1 where mav and others posts good pvp orientated sci builds
    2 where people can ask the experts questions for their sci builds

TRIBBLE, now Im off topic myself :eek:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

@rudiefix Feds: Rudiefix / Thron / Opa
    @rudiefix KDFs: Lill / Xifeidur / Dehr / Ugly
    @rudiefix Roms (KDF alligned): Chicita
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    rudiefix1 wrote: »
    With all the "off topic" stuff, I guess its time to throw stuff for the 3rd time, and make a 3.0 thread ;)

Maybe its wise to make 2 threads:
    1 where mav and others posts "good" pvp orientated sci builds
    2 where people can ask the experts questions for their sci builds

TRIBBLE, now Im off topic myself :eek:

That pretty much sounds like somebody needs to set up a blog free blog - have the builds sent to a central mod/poster or only allow select people to post. They would have the opportunity to control what takes place, could link to it in their sig, etc, etc, etc.
  • zorena#3961 zorena Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    webdeath wrote: »
    My Article for this thread has been completed for End Gamer Magazine. You can view it here. http://www.end-gamers.com/need-help-with-science-ships-in-star-trek-online/

And I'd like to thank Mavairo, the creator of this thread, and everyone else who contributes to it, for all the help you guys bring to people. You guys rock! :D

Nice, miss you guys <3:D
    Noone.
  • drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Are there any solid Intrepid Retrofit builds for PvP? I found two on the first page, altought they are almost identical, using VM/GW/repulsors...
  • corsair114corsair114 Member Posts: 276
    edited October 2012
    Are there any solid Intrepid Retrofit builds for PvP? I found two on the first page, altought they are almost identical, using VM/GW/repulsors...

Grav Well's not so hot versus players these days but still has a place thanks to the advent of carriers and the higher likelihood of encountering mines care of the mine revamp.

VM, notably with Systems Engineer DOffs, and Tractor Beam Repulsors are among the best anti-player powers in the game. It's exciting as hell to come under attack only to find Aux offline thanks to VM while you work out exactly how you're going to keep your ship in one piece without Hazards or TSS without blowing an "OH ****" button. As for Repulsors, well, from a game standpoint shield healing is are more valuable which leads to a meta-game where people stack up big shield heals over big hull heals one basically everything that isn't a cruiser.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    second link is a karfi by the looks of it. sci ships arent my specialty, no other comment to give really
  • totallyrolledtotallyrolled Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Now I see where the ego comes from. All because I got an interview on my friends website. I am such a pvp hotshot now. This is starting to make more sense now.
    edited October 2012
    Now I see where the ego comes from. All because I got an interview on my friends website. I am such a pvp hotshot now. This is starting to make more sense now.

If you're referring to me I've Always been like this :P. Being "famous" hasn't changed that much. If anything I'm Nicer now than I was three years ago.

I have an Ego because I can back it up. And I don't write checks that I can't cash.
    edited October 2012
    This is my build for my Varanus.
    Yes I know the weapons need to be changed. Most likely to all single beams.

In general my skill point allocation - if I remember correctly - is for a captain that utilizes drain abilities. (I have other drain abilities on my HUD not shown in the stations.)
    Any tweaks to BOFFS and such, by ghostyandfrosty would be greatly appreciated.

Weapons and Equipment
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/198698_10152189786375515_1600699628_n.jpg

BOFF abilities
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/229914_10152190000085515_915176356_n.jpg

Skill points 1
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/579664_10152189786480515_638636607_n.jpg

Skill Points 2
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/487115_10152189786540515_1314668775_n.jpg

P.S. if there is a problem with the links, please let me know

Weapons load out, I'd change the Dual beams off, for Single Arrays. The DSSV / Varunus is not exactly a fast ship.

Also having no Field Gens on a non cloaking KDF ship is just asking for trouble. I'd drop an armor in engineering, move the last of your consoles into the eng slot. And run 2 Field gens and 2 flow caps.

Tac: Tac Team, ditch CSV. Put in Anything beam related there. Even Faw would be more synergetic.

Drop EPTW2. It's a useless skill as EPTW1 is every bit as effective overall. Drop ET1 since it's heal is kind of a joke. EPTW1 doesn't work on a sci ship anyway so, I would run 2 EPTS1s, and either Extend Shields1, or RSP1.

Sci: Drop Tachyon Beam1. It's always been a Terrible skill, and now it's even worse since almost every ship worth it's salt has ranks in PI. Replace with a tractor beam 1. Replace Tractor beam2, with Sci Team 2. Tykens Rift 1 is a terrible skill, replace it with Transfer Shield Strength2. Scramble Sensors also Sucks. Replace it with Viral Matrix1.

Spec: swap your torp ranks out, for Energy. Your ships out put is way way too low without skill spec in Energy.
    edited October 2012
    wow. Lots of info. Thank you so much.

Ok so, the part i highlighted is for tactical station right? I don't want to mix things up lol

Also the Viral Matrix III that I have i'll keep...? I'd hate to lose that.
    And if I use Viral Matrix I to replace scramble sensors, won' that share the same cool-down period with Viral Matrix III???

EDIT: fyi the abilities like tachyon beam, for example, since I'm in a team, i use to be the drainer of the team. Since I'm hoping you had that in mind, I would assume that you think I only need to have viral matrixand subnucleonic beam abilities for the most part; sufficient for a drain oriented captain??

The varunus has an ens eng and lt eng :) EPTS1 X2 will get you solid shield tanking. Extend shields will give someone else on your team Mega Tanking. (and if you get the extend shields doff it will boost your SDR by 20 percent everytime ES is used)

It does have a shared CD. But with Doffs, a ship with 2 VMs will be utterly hair pulling to deal with. Your target could end up perma locked down if you timed it right.

Tachyon Beams drain is Pathetic against a ship with PI. The drain is so bad that you'll never be the decider, even if you fielded tachyon beam 3. Let alone meager and sad tachyon 1.
    edited October 2012
    VMs??

aslo I ended up added your first suggestion. Two EPTS1s, and rsp 1.....i could always tailor another doff with extend shields, to swap out if I'm going to do pvp with my own team. I chose the previous since sometimes I do a lot of stfs with strangers.

I battle-tested the varanus a few hours ago, and i did pretty well. But my doffs need improvement; to bolster my current ability setup....

Viral Matrix = VM :)
    edited October 2012
    I'm afraid thanks to Cryptic's newest and greatest Epic Fail I am suspending this thread. Until either A: every single dev is shot in the face and then tea bagged, B: They come to their senses and realize what a tragic mistake they've made (lol yeah right)

I want to say, I love this community, I truly do. My suspension of this thread and of my cruiser thread has nothing to do with anything any of you have said or done. I simply can't abide by, nor play this game anymore until the devs get their priorities straight, and or Competent employees are hired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQB4nAjZIdE When This describes the Design Team. It's impossible to feel positive motivation to continue this thread.

I will not edit my posts from here on to keep things current, as Cryptic has just put the Death Nail to pvp with the changes to Hazard/Polarize hull and Extend Shields. And the complete failure of cryptic to actually address just Why science ships are hurt right now in pvp. (the shared CD wasn't it)
    edited October 2012
    :( what happened?

They nerfed the science ships and their abilities?!?!

check the patch notes, or better yet the weekly update thread
    edited October 2012
    in the latest release notes it states "The shared cooldown between Polarize Hull and Hazard Emitters has been removed."

how is that a bad thing?

EDIT: ok, THIS i don't like --> "Emergency Power to Shields has been added to the cooldown category shared by Extend Shields and Reverse Shield Polarity."

ya i don't like it ether, because its everything breaking. literally nothing in this thread works anymore, mainly due to this
    edited October 2012
    also, except for that "everything breaking" modification, I don't see which other things are very bad for science ships....I'm seeing a lot of cooldowns that have been removed. Seems like a good thing, am I wrong? :/

edit: actually I retract that statement. You and Ghost are right. that one thing makes things suck now....

removing the sci system cooldowns are fine, theres a few more options, things with synergy wont cool each other down now. but basically you cant use rsp anymore, if you do, after it ends you will have a gap in your EPtS coverage, so you die. with the way ES's cooldowns work, you have to slot 2 ES or it will interrupt EPtS as well. both of these abilities are very viable, everyone will see them, and know when your weak.

not being able to use RSP changes things, it cant be relied on, your gonna need more TSS, ST, BFI doffs, it effects everything. also, the spike resistance of PH and HE is gonna be overpowered, they has a cooldown together for a reason.
    edited October 2012
    For those wondering why this change is bad for science
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=410911
    edited October 2012
    In search of good bop builds for engineers and scientists, I designed the "heal-bomber-bop" (sounds like that song from Hanson)

The build is based on the heavy b'rel bomber for tactical captains. A mixed set of destructive torpedo's are fired and good heals and resists distributed to team mates. This all while being cloaked.

Front: Trico or bio warhead, breen cluster, quantum, harpeng
    back: 2x trico mine

KHG shield and deflector and Borg engine

Cmdr tac: HY1, HY2, DPA2, APD3
    LtCmdr sci: HE1, HE2, ST3
    Lt sci: PH1, TSS2
    Lt eng: EptS1, AtoD1

eng consoles: 3x neutronium alloy
    sci consoles: borg, 2x stealth (maybe also shield emitter)
    tac consoles: 2x warhead yield, 1x TCD
    (maybe put aceton assimilator somewhere to drop those also now and then in the battlefield)

Purple Doffs: 2x development lab scientists, 2x torpedo doff, 1x cloacking technician (if you can afford it)

The tactic is to heal your team as best as you can. PH and AtoD (and EptS) are reserved for yourself (for escaping duties and hull resists). However, use APD3, TSS, HE, ST3 to heal team mates. With the 2 development doffs, you have the ST3 available every 15 seconds. Next to healing teammates you must also assist your team's with their target. This is best done by performing a kind of an alpha strike. The idea is that the torpedo's will impact roughly at the same moment, giving max spike, and open their shields. Fire sequence is trico/bio warhead, cluster, quantums, harpeng (fired at >5 km). The alpha dispersed mines are just dropped everywhere, beeing a little optimistic.

It takes some time and skill to master this tactic because you have to do 3 things at the same time:
    1: Switch between team mates, and heal them when necessary.
    2: Time your "alpha strike", switch to your team's target
    3: keep good distance, however, you still need to drop those trico's withing range

note: I know instant heals without resist are not favored at the moment. But consider that the receiver also has his own resists and heals. Most people run 2x tac team, so they benefit far more from your ST heal when under fire which can give them just enough extra time to reload their own buffs. You can choose to swap ST and TSS, but then you reduce healing capacity a lot; because ST is a every 15 second heal and TSS 45 seconds heal
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• beary666stobeary666sto Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If you are going to run a Dispersal Pattern, run Beta. Alpha makes a string of single Trics, beta 2 will make a group of 3 that will hurt someone a lot more.
    [23:35] Horta deals 1738411 (1538303) Toxic Damage to Centurion Engineer with Corrosive Acid.
  • beary666stobeary666sto Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Crew doesn't really do diddly squat in PvP or PvE. You're not going to have much crew left just a few minutes into a PvP match, DPA is not the way to go, DPB will get the kills which is what matters in PvP.
    [23:35] Horta deals 1738411 (1538303) Toxic Damage to Centurion Engineer with Corrosive Acid.
    edited October 2012
    If you are going to run a Dispersal Pattern, run Beta. Alpha makes a string of single Trics, beta 2 will make a group of 3 that will hurt someone a lot more.

That depends. I favor alpha more against moving targets. It can also help you to better escape. Against static targets (tractored, disabled, grav well) beta is better.

This build doesnt have to be copied 100%. everyone can tweak to fit his/her taste
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• sonulinu2sonulinu2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/index.php?build=pryosci_0 Spec.
    Do you have an unhealthy fascination with setting things on fire? Who doesn't right? As pvpers we produce more flames, and explosions than a Michael Bay movie in one single match. We like it like this of course. But what if you are having a hair of issue in terms of overall...burning in your sci?

Well this ship might just be for you. This seems on the surface like any run of the mill sci ship, and boff wise it is. What differentiates it though is the stuff in the torpedo tubes, and what comes out the back of the ship. Plasma. Lots and lots of hawt sexy burning stuff. Plasma burns, overtime can accumulate very quickly because they stack, and not only this they are also tac boostable.

with 3 purple torp doffs you will be firing these out at a machine gun pace as well. (infact it's quite likely you'll have more torps than firing angle even in the intrepid and recon)

In the tests, I found that they can put on a decent sustained pressure. This boff layout with it should provide more pressure and system shutdowns.

Deflector :Borg
    Engine: Borg
    Shield: Maco

Weapons Phaser Beam array (of course) 2 Plasma Torpedoes
    Aft, 3 Plasma Mine Launchers.

Doffs. 2 purple torpedo officers, 2 Systems Engineers, 1 Aftershock

Power levels. 25 weapons, 50 Shields, 50 Engines, 75 Aux.

Cmdr: Viral Matrix 3, Sci Team 3/TSS3, TSS2, Tractor Beam1 Alternate: Vm3, TBR2, ST2, TSS1
    Lt Cmdr: Grav Well 1, HE2, HE1/Polarize hull1
    Lt Tac, Tac Team, Attack Pattern Delta1
    Lt Eng. EPTS1 and 2
    Ens Sci, Tractor Beam1

Ghosty, this build sounds like fun! Haven't played my Sci toon in over a year but I'm looking forward to it now. A few questions: Phaser or Plasma for Tac Consoles? What about the other consoles? Use the Ablative I assume? Is this build good for STFs, I heard the Borg have some resistance to plasma. I hope that's wrong. Many thanks!
  • sonulinu2sonulinu2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Ghosty, Do you have a suggested build for the Atrox Carrier for those who can't, as of yet, get the Tholian ship?