test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Cryptic: September 2012

Comments

• wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    grimchar wrote: »
    I do often wonder if anyone at Perfect World, or Cryptic for that matter, has actually watched a Star Trek episode or movie or even read one of the novels. Paramount is apparently not paying attention. I have too often seen a lack of understanding about how things work in the Star Trek universe.

the devs watch star trek alot. some are crazy fans like the rest of us. if you look in dev tracker then you'll see 'the journey' posts where they have watched that episode that week. at least thats what i always thought was going on.
  • caltircaltir Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    They 'forgot' to ask if players want a PvP conquer/defend area (because they do) - the thing that very many players still can't wait to receive, and which is as basic, clear and obvious in a Klingon/Fed conflict multiplayer game as the multiplication rate of tribbles on the K-7 Station.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    the devs watch star trek alot. some are crazy fans like the rest of us. if you look in dev tracker then you'll see 'the journey' posts where they have watched that episode that week. at least thats what i always thought was going on.
    If that's true then i have no explaination for some completely un-trekkish game mechanics and design mistakes.

Live long and prosper.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    After the storyline that has already been released in the feature episodes, I don't really think Reman's would want to be under Romulan rule anymore. Furthermore, the Romulans in exile on the far side of the Beta Quadrant (in my story), have no Remans present. I also don't think the Romulans on a whole have the time or resources to waste trying to contain further Reman uprisings.

The new Romulan Empire will be built by Romulans who want to rebuild the Empire. They will do whatever it takes and sacrifice their comforts knowing that it is their empire and they helped in rebuilding it.

Firstly while you do have some outstanding ideas for a Romulan faction, there is no guarantee that Cryptic would adopt something similar. Knowing Cryptic they probably already have their own plans and ideas, which would only change depending on CBS and the approval process.
    This would work for Romulans stuck on the colonies or for Romulan military who were cutoff and had to link up with Fed to survive. But not an option for an independent faction - well, within my storyline anyway.

I believe that the Garidians could actually be a good choice as an ally to the Romulans. They were like an albino offshoot of Romulans. I think that once you get to say level 40, you could posssibly receive Garidians, Remans & Vulcan Isolationists.

But your character choice could start as Romulan Military, Tal Shiar, or Ex-Borg Romulan.

Getting to the point of this post, having a faction with only one species would be totally boring and not everyone would want to play a Romulan. Forcing people to play as a Romulan would be like forcing all KDF players to have a Klingon or everyone in the Federation to be a Human. One of the MMO's core principles to me is customisation, choice and development of a character. Forcing one species on a player would probably discourage and drive away players more than anything. If anything the Romulan faction would have to have at least 5 species along with Alien and Ex-Borg Romulan. That is what the KDF has, and even there some find it a little sparse.

I would suggest that if the RSE did go ahead the included races could be:
    1. Romulan
    2. Garidian
    3. Reman
    4. Hirogen
    5. Unknown 5th Species (Perhaps another Romulan offshoot species)
    6. Alien
    7. Liberated Romulan Borg

I would not be overaly fond of Vulcans in the RSE, they share a mutual mistrust and only Spock according to the series was working on the Unification with Romulan supporters.

Truth be told if a Romulan faction was done after the KDF was fixed up, I wouldn't play a Romulan unless they had some really good traits, probably on par with the OP Federation Human Leadership trait. I am much more interested in the Remans, Garidians and Hirogen tbh.
    yreodred wrote: »
    If that's true then i have no explaination for some completely un-trekkish game mechanics and design mistakes.

Live long and prosper.

Some things would have to no doubt be changes for the MMO environment like the new multicultural Klingon Empire as a good example. Some however I do agree with you on. The Federation seems a little too gun-ho it feels more like the 23rd century with Kirk than the 25th.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    yreodred wrote: »

Live long and prosper.

That's because this is A) A videogame and B) An MMO.

Videogames are mostly shoot/stab/kill this, and MMO's are mostly shoot/stab/kill this, and bring me back X number of their body parts. :D

People usually tend to complain when games are slow paced, focus on story, have puzzles, Etc. Cause it tends to get in the way of the action. But if any game could use less action, it would be this one. :P
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Getting to the point of this post, having a faction with only one species would be totally boring and not everyone would want to play a Romulan. Forcing people to play as a Romulan would be like forcing all KDF players to have a Klingon or everyone in the Federation to be a Human. One of the MMO's core principles to me is customisation, choice and development of a character. Forcing one species on a player would probably discourage and drive away players more than anything. If anything the Romulan faction would have to have at least 5 species along with Alien and Ex-Borg Romulan. That is what the KDF has, and even there some find it a little sparse.

1. Romulan
    2. Garidian
    3. Reman
    4. Hirogen
    6. Alien

I would not be overaly fond of Vulcans in the RSE, they share a mutual mistrust and only Spock according to the series was working on the Unification with Romulan supporters.
    I could see it. Romulans and Vulcans had made strides towards it. Garidians sound cool.

For another option I'd toss in Acamarians. Yeah they were a race fo the week species, but an interesting one, and they live near Romulan space.
    Truth be told if a Romulan faction was done after the KDF was fixed up, I wouldn't play a Romulan unless they had some really good traits, probably on par with the OP Federation Human Leadership trait. I am much more interested in the Remans, Garidians and Hirogen tbh.
    Honestly.... No. If they wait for KDF to be "finished" we'll never get any new content whatsoever.... KDF will always whine about not having as much content as Fed players. KDF has enough content to be playable as-is. But yeah Romulans definately need a race with Leadership. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • redsoniavrelredsoniavrel Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Lets all be clear about this... I think it's fair to say that while it's likely that most of those who are campaigning so hard for a Romulan faction will want to play as Romulans, I think that when anyone talks about 'Playable Romulans', what they mean to say is a full faction, complete with minors, homeworlds, 'capital city', ships, a solo story, and PvE/PvP fleet actions etc, not just a one race faction with one set of ships.

Basically a skinned copy of the Federation setup and not a half baked 'rush it out for release' setup, which still hasn't been fully corrected fo the Klingons, let alone talking about a third faction.

Just so you all know, my Vulcan character is actually a Romulan orphan - so I'm totally with the cause, I just want it to be done 'properly' is all ;)
    edited September 2012
    Firstly while you do have some outstanding ideas for a Romulan faction, there is no guarantee that Cryptic would adopt something similar. Knowing Cryptic they probably already have their own plans and ideas, which would only change depending on CBS and the approval process.

1. Romulan
    2. Garidian
    3. Reman
    4. Hirogen
    6. Alien

Some things would have to no doubt be changes for the MMO environment like the new multicultural Klingon Empire as a good example. Some however I do agree with you on. The Federation seems a little too gun-ho it feels more like the 23rd century with Kirk than the 25th.

i'd add vulcans to that list. maybe mintakans? but i guess that will come down to what ever happened to them after that tng episode...

also joined trill you never know what exp;eriences a trill may have had with romulans past and present...
  • valetharvalethar Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Finish the KDF faction before you even attempt to do Romulans. Flesh it out, fix the bugs, add enough content to it to make it worth playing (rather than the current half (censored) effort put into it thus far) as we've been promised since release 2 years ago.

If you can't make a solid effort with the KDF, you have absolutely no hope whatsoever of delivering a proper Romulan faction.
  • trekkiegaltrekkiegal Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Actually playable Romulans would actually be a logical step, considering they should of been there from day one. But that's my opinion of course.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    valethar wrote: »
    Finish the KDF faction before you even attempt to do Romulans. Flesh it out, fix the bugs, add enough content to it to make it worth playing (rather than the current half (censored) effort put into it thus far) as we've been promised since release 2 years ago.

If you can't make a solid effort with the KDF, you have absolutely no hope whatsoever of delivering a proper Romulan faction.
    that would essentially be the same as not ever adding them....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • zathura00zathura00 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    valethar wrote: »

The poll results indicate otherwise. Romulans first ;)
  • thetruthurtsthetruthurts Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    zathura00 wrote: »
    The poll results indicate otherwise. Romulans first ;)

And the poll results are meaningless because people thought they were voting for a full fledged faction, while Cryptic seems to want to make the Romulans a sub faction of the Feds or KDF. So with people not understanding what they were really voting for, there is no way to use the results.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    And the poll results are meaningless because people thought they were voting for a full fledged faction, while Cryptic seems to want to make the Romulans a sub faction of the Feds or KDF. So with people not understanding what they were really voting for, there is no way to use the results.

im not sure about others but i dont need a 1 to lvl 50 faction just give me a romulan base or home world romulan ships so on more or less every thing one would need just not the lvl 1 to 50 thing and i be as happy as a boy on xmas :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    i'd add vulcans to that list. maybe mintakans? but i guess that will come down to what ever happened to them after that tng episode...

also joined trill you never know what exp;eriences a trill may have had with romulans past and present...

I really don't know about Mintakans, they hadn't even split the atom yet, advancing them so far wouldn't make a ton of sense, but granted yes a race like the Romulans would be less concerned about protecting their culture than the Federation would.

Joined Trill I'd be all for. My second KDF character was a Joined Trill, I could see some of them going the Curzon route. Now I just have to ponder another good symbiont and host name for my second RSE character. Thankfully I'll have plenty of time for that.
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
    edited September 2012

Agreed. I'm all for a Romulan faction after Cryptic picks up it's act and finishes the KDF, Klingon players aren't expecting a 1:1 ratio just some equality and fairnes. Same with the Romulan fans. We are both in the same boat, most are fans of both. Helping one another I see is the only way this game can be more Star Trek Online and less Federation Online. Together as a united group we would equal Federation players I think. Together and united we are strong, split we are weak.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
    edited September 2012
    rtk142 wrote: »
    I really don't know about Mintakans, they hadn't even split the atom yet, advancing them so far wouldn't make a ton of sense, but granted yes a race like the Romulans would be less concerned about protecting their culture than the Federation would.

Joined Trill I'd be all for. My second KDF character was a Joined Trill, I could see some of them going the Curzon route. Now I just have to ponder another good symbiont and host name for my second RSE character. Thankfully I'll have plenty of time for that.
    Enh... Educate Mintakan children at a young age and they should be able to learn how to use advanced technology. Although, I'm not sure if Mintaka is close enough to RSE for them to be able to acquire it as a colony world.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • kadieraskadieras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    LOL you can't say you're a fan of the RSE if you have no interest in playing a Romulan. A pure RSE would be boring for YOU, it would NOT be boring for me. Just because other MMO's have done things "this way" doesn't mean this game has to. Just because the KDF has let the riff raff in doesn't mean the RSE has to. What you want isn't an RSE, it's a green skinned Federation. Putting all those races in the RSE means it would no longer be the RSE.
    Like the Romulan Alliance System? Of course you do, it sounds fine to you because you aren't Romulans, you're FED or KDF who are going to make a Romulan alt, it makes a HUGE difference in perspective.
  • thebigcheeseukthebigcheeseuk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Playable Romulans with content from level 1-50
    edited September 2012
    kadieras wrote: »
    LOL you can't say you're a fan of the RSE if you have no interest in playing a Romulan. A pure RSE would be boring for YOU, it would NOT be boring for me. Just because other MMO's have done things "this way" doesn't mean this game has to. Just because the KDF has let the riff raff in doesn't mean the RSE has to. What you want isn't an RSE, it's a green skinned Federation. Putting all those races in the RSE means it would no longer be the RSE.

If that's what you want to think and yell at people who don't agree with you, then that is fine, just don't expect a lot of new people to join your cause. I guess you miss the entire point of a MMO. I feel sad for you. If you represent the majority of the Romulan fans (which I certainly hope you don't) then you'll not be happy with what Cryptic does with the Romulans, whether it be a full faction or not. You may as well quit now and be happy with the Federation and KDF as you'll certainly won't be getting what you want. A one species faction would not succeed hence why the KDF has these other species in it. Here I thought Federation Fan-Boys were bad. :rolleyes:
    edited September 2012
    If that's what you want to think and yell at people who don't agree with you, then that is fine, just don't expect a lot of new people to join your cause. I guess you miss the entire point of a MMO. I feel sad for you. If you represent the majority of the Romulan fans (which I certainly hope you don't) then you'll not be happy with what Cryptic does with the Romulans, whether it be a full faction or not. You may as well quit now and be happy with the Federation and KDF as you'll certainly won't be getting what you want. A one species faction would not succeed hence why the KDF has these other species in it. Here I thought Federation Fan-Boys were bad. :rolleyes:
    I owuld have to say he's in the minority. Why? the sheer number of lists of Romulan races I've seen going around.

EDIT: this is interesting, the ratios have skewed a lot. here is today:
    More Feature Episodes 591 17.22%
    More KDF Content 670 19.52%
    More Fleet Missions / STFs 250 7.28%
    More Foundry Improvements 57 1.66%
    More Rare Ships 88 2.56%
    Playable Romulans 1,045 30.44%
    Improve PVP 290 8.45%
    Improve Duty Officer System 64 1.86%
    Improve Crafting 102 2.97%
    Improve Exploration 276 8.04%

and here is a snapshot of what it was like on the 10th(page 46):
    More Feature Episodes 451 16.80%
    More KDF Content 564 21.01%
    More Fleet Missions / STFs 194 7.23%
    More Foundry Improvements 44 1.64%
    More Rare Ships 68 2.53%
    Playable Romulans 780 29.05%
    Improve PVP 244 9.09%
    Improve Duty Officer System 51 1.90%
    Improve Crafting 72 2.68%
    Improve Exploration 217 8.08%

the ratios of everything have shifted, but the biggest one is the ratio between support for KDF and RSE. Those are the only things that have changed by over a full percentage point.

EDIT2: Apparently I made another snapshot on the 8th(page 33):
    Playable Romulans 543 28.06%
    More KDF Content 437 22.58%
    More Feature Episodes 315 16.28%
    Improve PVP 186 9.61%
    Improve Exploration 163 8.42%
    More Fleet Missions / STFs 131 6.77%
    Improve Crafting 53 2.74%
    More Rare Ships 42 2.17%
    Improve Duty Officer System 33 1.71%
    More Foundry Improvements 32 1.65%
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • zathura00zathura00 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012

I'm going to be mad if Cryptic turns it into a sub faction.
    edited September 2012

thats a semi good point. there is no need to add races to the RSE for the sake of it. i would actually rather the list was small.

romulans
    liberated borg romulans - shouldn't be hard to make or very time consuming
    reman
    vulcans - already in game
    joined trill - already in game
    hirogen - due to story lines in sto
    alien - already in game

i have thought of others but i think adding offshoots as playable is kinda pointless. maybe theres room for adding them to story lines however.

for me thats an acceptable list for verious reasons. atleast for starters.

ship wise there some really cool ships that need to made playable. for me personally the D'deridex is a must and there would have to be a T5+1 either to compete with the regent(sov)/negh'var or to compete with the bortasqu'/oddy.
  • oakland4lifeoakland4life Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Playable Romulans with content from level 1-50

Unlikely, it will be more like lvl 20-50 with the current staff they have now.
  • lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Following other examples on here let me list my choices in order (to better facilitate your intel gathering ;))

1. More KDF Content

2. Improve Exploration

3. More Foundry Improvments

4. More Fleet Missions / STFs

5. More Feature Episodes

6. More Rare Ships (especially Fed and Klingon as opposed to "other")

7. Improved Crafting

8. Improved PVP

9. Improved Duty Officer System

10. Playable Romulans [See Note]

[NOTE]: Personally I couldn't care less about the Romulan faction, as such, since I firmly believe that the only way to keep faith with the Romulan is to put your faith in your D'Ktahg and the D'Ktahg in the Romulan :P. However it MIGHT convince my wife to join the game since she's always wanted to play a Romulan heheheh
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
    edited September 2012
    Exactly, adding races simply for the sake of adding races is antithetical to the basis of the RSE, if you don't see that then we clearly have a different understanding of what the RSE is. LOL feel bad for me all you want, this is the internet, getting worked up about anything anyone says or does on here is ridiculous.
    thats a semi good point. there is no need to add races to the RSE for the sake of it. i would actually rather the list was small.

romulans
    liberated borg romulans - shouldn't be hard to make or very time consuming
    reman
    vulcans - already in game
    joined trill - already in game
    hirogen - due to story lines in sto
    alien - already in game

i have thought of others but i think adding offshoots as playable is kinda pointless. maybe theres room for adding them to story lines however.

for me thats an acceptable list for verious reasons. atleast for starters.

ship wise there some really cool ships that need to made playable. for me personally the D'deridex is a must and there would have to be a T5+1 either to compete with the regent(sov)/negh'var or to compete with the bortasqu'/oddy.
    Like the Romulan Alliance System? Of course you do, it sounds fine to you because you aren't Romulans, you're FED or KDF who are going to make a Romulan alt, it makes a HUGE difference in perspective.
  • lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ...pvp game play is by far the most fun thing to do in game when you get the hang of it. the problem is its very hard to get the hang of...

It is if PvP is what you really like... but not everyone does. I play MMO's because being an online game means far richer and constantly updated content then I could get in a stand-alone game. It also means there are occasional opportunities to interact with like minded folks. However, for the most part, I game in an MMO for the same reason I watch a TV show, read a book or play a stand-alone computer game... escapism! I'm trying to ESCAPE the real world and that includes all the people in it. I don't really LIKE the real people I encounter, for the most part. I prefer the imaginary people I encounter in books, movies, games and my own imagination.

So, no, PvP is not the most fun part of an MMO for me (and many folks like me). Because that means having to interact with REAL people (or the avatars of REAL people). If I wanted that I'd turn the computer off and head down to the local chess club or pool hall or (insert other real world establishment here). I prefer PvE where the "people" I encounter can be depended on NOT to break my immersion, grief me or do anything terribly unexpected. I already get enough of that in my day to day "real world" life... why would I seek more of the same for entertainment purposes?? :confused:
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
    edited September 2012
    Exactly, adding races simply for the sake of adding races is antithetical to the basis of the RSE, if you don't see that then we clearly have a different understanding of what the RSE is. LOL feel bad for me all you want, this is the internet, getting worked up about anything anyone says or does on here is ridiculous.
    That is probably the best list. Although Acamarians, Garidians, and Mintakans could work ok.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited September 2012
    The Mintakans and Garidians would make perfect sense since they are Vulcanoid races and Romulan xenophobia doesn't extend to the species of other Vulcanoids simply their cultures. Plus the Garidians would be easy, take everything you make for Romulans and give it a red color scheme. Acamarians are leaning more torwards the Feds then the Romulans, the Talarians would make a better fit but again wouldn't necessarily make sense. Also Hirogen because of the story do not make sense, unless they're going to retcon their entire culture.
    That is probably the best list. Although Acamarians, Garidians, and Mintakans could work ok.
  • drowrulesupremedrowrulesupreme Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    We appear to have hijacked this thread to further the causes of the KDF and RSE... cool.
    I thought I might make a point about allowing, even encouraging, other races into the RSE.
    When Romulus was destroyed much of the centralisation of the RSE was shattered and splinter groups appear to have formed (Obisek's Reman resistance movement, Sela allying with the Hirogen to aid her cause, etc.). As each of these groups is fighting over, and with, the finite resources remaining from the original might of the RSE does it not make sense that these groups would coerce/cajole/invite other races of similar bent to join them? Once the splinters are made whole again, each of these races would have representatives in a powerful new empire.
    Vulcans who believed the only way to achieve peace was to fight against a more dangerous potential leader of the RSE.
    Remans fighting because they are a race bred for war!
    Liberated Romulan Borg trying to regain their place in the grand scheme.
    Selay worming their way to a better future.
    Hirogen hunting worthy prey in a new quadrant
    Joined Trill seeking new experiences to pass on.
    I for one would welcome this.

Just as I would welcome a True Way faction with Vorta, Jem'Hadar (have a great name already picked), Founders (not allowed to carry weapons and only fights hand-to-hand-to-tentacle), Karemma, Hunters and Cardassians.

I await a full experience for the KDF first, of course.
    "...we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than the things that divide us.”
    Jo Cox 22.6.1974 - 16.6.2016

This discussion has been closed.