Ask Cryptic: September 2012

Comments

• Options
    bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    daan2006 wrote: »
    im going on the Klingons history :)

and Obisek is a joke to the RSE

Both Obisek and the Klingon Empire are still very much alive. At least Tasha Yar died (the first time) attempting to rescue a crewman even if it was an empty death. Billions of Romulans were killed by their own incompetent bureaucracy. And I don't believe even Q regarded Klingons as a "grievously savage race."
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    bloctoad wrote: »
    Both Obisek and the Klingon Empire are still very much alive. At least Tasha Yar died (the first time) attempting to rescue a crewman even if it was an empty death. Billions of Romulans were killed by their own incompetent bureaucracy. And I don't believe even Q regarded Klingons as a "grievously savage race."

lol you Klingons make me laugh :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    kilemorgankilemorgan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    if romulan ever found this out and they new sicko let him do it i think they would unite together and go to war with the Feds just a thought :)

and its a Fake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They might use it as a mistake publicly to at least cut off relations. However privately they would think, he must have some Romulan blood in him. Also, how did they underestimate him so much as to be tricked.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    kilemorgan wrote: »
    They might use it as a mistake publicly to at least cut off relations. However privately they would think, he must have some Romulan blood in him. Also, how did they underestimate him so much as to be tricked.

hummm never thought of that :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    hummm never thought of that :)

Problem with quoting a new to you message is not seeing the messages after it that likely say similar things.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Considering people have mentioned things not specifically listed in the pole, I want to go ahead and mention one of my own.

Skills in general, Science ones in particular. After most all of them get nerfed we get to read how the actual fix or balance to said Science skills will happen, when we have time to get back to it. Then nothing happens. How about those getting some attention also?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    lol you Klingons make me laugh :)

Too bad I'm not a Klingon. But at least we actually have Klingons rather than nondescript Aliens. :D
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Too bad I'm not a Klingon. But at least we actually have Klingons rather than nondescript Aliens. :D

hand to tell with your signature ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    kilemorgan wrote: »
    Considering people have mentioned things not specifically listed in the pole, I want to go ahead and mention one of my own.

Skills in general, Science ones in particular. After most all of them get nerfed we get to read how the actual fix or balance to said Science skills will happen, when we have time to get back to it. Then nothing happens. How about those getting some attention also?

Regarding skills, the skill tree as it exists now should be attached to the ship being commanded not the Captain. The captain should have a D&D-esque skill allotment with different bonuses and deficiencies. They should not be locked into anything so specific and linear as the skills in their present form. This would allow players to actually use more of their ships and retain more ships for specific purposes.
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yet not cunning enough to have ferreted out the rogue elements inside your own government without being fed this information by the Reman leader.

Yet not intelligent enough to heed Spock's warning regarding Hobus and accept his plan.

Yet not wise enough to begin evacuation of Romulus until one day before its demise.

In effect, you killed billions of your own people and destroyed your entire planetary system.

Klingons only lost half a moon.
    Incorrect. The remains of said moon contaminated the atmosphere of Qo'nos and if not for Federation assistance could have made the planet uninhabitable.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Incorrect. The remains of said moon contaminated the atmosphere of Qo'nos and if not for Federation assistance could have made the planet uninhabitable.

and the plot thickens :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited September 2012

It's still inhabitable to the federation... Rumor is if they beam down about a thousand beams and a couple of bat'leths seem to be attracted to the confinement beam :)
  • Options
    varoolvarool Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    r0mulannpc wrote: »
    Dan your starting to understand us romulans, to determine our perspective and story is simple, for too long we have been abused in the tv shows, movies, and most of this game with stupid plots and writing of characters that diminished our empire into a joke.
    I'm sure their a kestrel circling above ready to pick the bones!

Change that because we are awesome !!! Don't believe me, well let me enlighten you all.

Because we are sneaky b*stards, and we played you all using underhand tactics and cunning plans, enabled by our spies ,operatives , and loyal subjects. That went on these missions.

To return our empire into it's former glory and beyond. we been doing this...

Tricked the icionans into bringing back romulas while gettin rid of that stinking Sela, fair deal to me!

Used those expert hunters the hirogen to wipe out undine infilltration within our ranks.

Stole tech from the borg to strengthen our fleets.

Used the remans rebels to distract and drag FED & KDF onto thier side, which gave us infiltration opportunities on our turf.

Used the above on Fed & KDF to manipulate bringing back the true empress Donatra and rescue her from the borg and again from Fed/Klingons.

Yridians contacts put us in touch with the gorn uprising which we supported to destablised the Klingons and gain augment bio-tech for our loyal reman troops & heal our empress.

Infiltrated those brainwashed vulcan unificationist nutjobs to steal one of the federation's most advanced starships and used that to attack the cardassians. and destablilsed relations between the two.

Visted the mirror universe to hire ourselves, so we could become vulcan for the above mission.

Used the tholians to stop the separatists within our ranks and liberate iconians which we can unleash on our enemys.

And that is just a sample of the awesome RSE full unique faction is capable of.

I'm sure the klingons will insult my intelligence, and i have this to say "At least we didn't blow up our own moon."
    And for you Fed fans out their believing i'm tricking people into have another content drought with having the Romulan Star Empire, All I Say is
    " It's a FAAAAKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

A romulan would not choose to give away their only advantage, they would not confirm or deny it either, they would have their enemies reveal their intentions to the romulans so a proper course of action can be taken. Romulans never make the first move, to them it would be too much of a disadvantage. on the game they are more one dimensional rather then what they should be. if a romulan faction comes, the whole thing would need to be altered.

typically romulan military officers have a second agenda which is not known until later, they are careful, methodical but suspicious of everything, but some commanders tend to be arrogant and others will chose to show nothing, others enjoy the action of words to discern a motive. most importantly you should not trust a romulan too much with any one thing because it could elevate a single romulan military commander to a position of power within the senate.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    varool wrote: »
    A romulan would not choose to give away their only advantage, they would not confirm or deny it either, they would have their enemies reveal their intentions to the romulans so a proper course of action can be taken. Romulans never make the first move, to them it would be too much of a disadvantage. on the game they are more one dimensional rather then what they should be. if a romulan faction comes, the whole thing would need to be altered.

typically romulan military officers have a second agenda which is not known until later, they are careful, methodical but suspicious of everything, but some commanders tend to be arrogant and others will chose to show nothing, others enjoy the action of words to discern a motive. most importantly you should not trust a romulan too much with any one thing because it could elevate a single romulan military commander to a position of power within the senate.

you my friends know the mind set of a romulan :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    not that much, i would like to understand romulan's better to be honest so if Dstahl is reading this, he can give a better idea to the design team so they can work at what a romulan should be.

i can also give some insights to the Cardassians as well because Romulans and Cardassians are alike in a few ways.
  • Options
    wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Supposedly in soft canon it was hinted that the Romulans did find out. http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/In_the_Pale_Moonlight_%28episode%29
    bet that would have made for a interestin episode

i would agree. but aren't 'the' sisko and garak the only 1's that knew about it. if sisko is in the wormhole with the prophets don't that mean garak is the only person that can spill the beans???
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Regarding skills, the skill tree as it exists now should be attached to the ship being commanded not the Captain. The captain should have a D&D-esque skill allotment with different bonuses and deficiencies. They should not be locked into anything so specific and linear as the skills in their present form. This would allow players to actually use more of their ships and retain more ships for specific purposes.

And instead of your bridge officers deciding what skills they just give bonuses based on the level of the skill.

Picard-Mr. Warf fire torpedos, full spread!
    Warf-Sorry captain, you did not train me for full spread.
    Riker- What?
    Wesley-Captain, I can do it!
    Picard-Shut up Wesley!
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    then you will be waiting almost a year for one FE serise for that looks like the production time on them KDF has to play the same thing Feds do

and romulans apart of feds or KDF sickins me as a romulan
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Good luck with the waiting game. I hope that you'll see one or two KDF story missions in the next 2 years. They'll probably give you some cross-faction content, though. I wouldn't expect a single mission that advances KDF lore. Here is a paddle, for the ride.

You know I was expecting some short sighted responses like that. Thanks for not disappointment me.

The thing is Cryptic really needs to sort itself out, the one thing that attracts most people to this game is the one thing they seem to not do. Ground invasions are certainly not the key nor are PvE queues where you just kill the same thing over and over again.

If a player can make a foundry mission, with limited and buggy tools in a time frame of about a few days to a week which he/she does during their free time. I say why can't Cryptic set aside one or two people in their team to do a mission and release it say on a fortnightly basis? We don't need the annoying voice overs and for a lot of the missions new toys are necessarily needed. Just story, official story that branches on from the Path to 2409, the reason the Undine have infiltrated the Federation, the KDF's attempt to get rid of them like they did with the Gorn, Fek'lhri missions and so on.

Look at the last season, season 6. What did we get out of it? A invasion zone, several PvE queues that are as repetitive as the invasion zone and endless grind and overpriced Fleet ships that we were promised in a pod-cast wouldn't be too expensive. That was what, 6 months worth of development time? Most people I talk to and even see post on the forums barely if at all play that content. Dan says season 6 was a huge success, well at least for me and others in the community it was a huge waste of time, time that could have been better spent making new STF's, story missions for both sides (especially KDF), more KDF costumes and ships and most importantly advancing the overall story of STO.

The one thing I have really seen in this game from just playing the missions is the total lack of direction the story has. It starts off okay, then it goes all over the place. No real direction, no explination on Sela's disappearance and what has happened to the Romulans since then, what about the Fek'lhri on the KDF side, were they really the ancient enemy or some sort of pawn clone army? No conclusion on that arc. What about the Undine? The KDF discovered them and are hunting them down yet we have no Undine story missions.

They are loosing players, people bored with the same thing. A shiny new Fed ship or more Fed costumes aren't doing it for them. Endless grind isn't the answer either. Yes as a MMO grind has a place, but when that is all you do and no story or substance to go along it really makes one wonder where this game is actually heading. Does it have more than 2 years left in it's life. Something I think Cryptic really needs to figure out. Story missions are the key, two full factions is another.

All this talk of Romulan faction is premature and should never have been brought up this early in the game's life. Look at all the other MMO's going on currently, SWTOR, LOTRO, WOW, they are all two factions. Two faction games work, three at least for STO wouldn't unless as Dan suggested they did something like the new Panda's in the new WOW release that is in beta atm, where you play as them and then choose a side. In regards to the Romulans, the problem doesn't seem to be Cryptic not doing the wrong thing by them, it's unrealistic die hard fans expecting Cryptic the engineers to turn rocks into replicators to borrow a DS9 quote.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    i would agree. but aren't 'the' sisko and garak the only 1's that knew about it. if sisko is in the wormhole with the prophets don't that mean garak is the only person that can spill the beans???

very very good point and yes that would be right
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    The thing is Cryptic really needs to sort itself out, the one thing that attracts most people to this game is the one thing they seem to not do. Ground invasions are certainly not the key nor are PvE queues where you just kill the same thing over and over again.

If a player can make a foundry mission, with limited and buggy tools in a time frame of about a few days to a week which he/she does during their free time. I say why can't Cryptic set aside one or two people in their team to do a mission and release it say on a fortnightly basis? We don't need the annoying voice overs and for a lot of the missions new toys are necessarily needed. Just story, official story that branches on from the Path to 2409, the reason the Undine have infiltrated the Federation, the KDF's attempt to get rid of them like they did with the Gorn, Fek'lhri missions and so on.

sooooooooooo agree!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majesticmsfc
    I would rather wait and get Cryptic content rather than foundry missions going official, foundry missions I can already play.

kirksplat wrote: »
    Good luck with the waiting game. I hope that you'll see one or two KDF story missions in the next 2 years. They'll probably give you some cross-faction content, though. I wouldn't expect a single mission that advances KDF lore. Here is a paddle, for the ride.

i think it's a pretty good idea. it can certainly bridge gaps!! when you watch a whole seires of star trek there is always some episodes that don't effect the greater story arc of the season. like going to war or alliances etc. so why on earth wouldn't any one not want some really well done player made missions made rewarding enough to play while leveling up for example?? this is becoming a must klingon side. infact some authors have already tried making mini story arcs and they are very well done
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    All this talk of Romulan faction is premature and should never have been brought up this early in the game's life. Look at all the other MMO's going on currently, SWTOR, LOTRO, WOW, they are all two factions. Two faction games work, three at least for STO wouldn't unless as Dan suggested they did something like the new Panda's in the new WOW release that is in beta atm, where you play as them and then choose a side. In regards to the Romulans, the problem doesn't seem to be Cryptic not doing the wrong thing by them, it's unrealistic die hard fans expecting Cryptic the engineers to turn rocks into replicators to borrow a DS9 quote.

this i do disagree for this is not star wars or world of war craft i get a kick out of war craft as a hole is a bad word on here

ST has 4 major powers Romulans Federation Klingon Cardassians and them are the ones herd on movie and tv the most for there are more

you cant use the same tchnique to make shortcuts for all the major powers

plus night elfs dont start in storm wind / imperial agents dont start at the sith capital

if cryptic had just kip the Klingons allied with the feds then maybe the romulan would be the half baked faction
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited September 2012

nothing can suggest a 3 or 4 or even more faction game wont work. this is star trek and things aren't just 1 side of the fence vs the other side. a star trek game should easily be able to boast 3/4 playable factions. star trek was and never will be as simple as 1 side vs 1 side.
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I do agree more than 2 factions can work but not at the current time with the state of the game. That is what a lot of people in this thread I feel have been trying to say. Bring on the Romulans just not now. When the time is right I think you'll find that the majority of the community will be supporting a Romulan faction I surely will as I'd love to play a Reman.

They can only milk the current two factions so far before something totally new will be needed for the continuation of this game.

Plus I think we all can agree, when the Romulans do get their time, we want them to be as complete and faithful to the species as possible and not treated like our beloved Klingons have been treated for 2 years. All factions really need to be treated equally by Cryptic.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    pepattypepatty Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The romulan faction will be senseless without playable mission content.

In my opinion STO badly needs an endgame quest chain and ride content.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    where would this extra content stop though?

adding romulans and fixing the klingons up would be a good way of getting more content into the game and DStahl has already wrote out that there will be more end game content coming soon.
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I do agree more than 2 factions can work but not at the current time with the state of the game. That is what a lot of people in this thread I feel have been trying to say. Bring on the Romulans just not now. When the time is right I think you'll find that the majority of the community will be supporting a Romulan faction I surely will as I'd love to play a Reman.

They can only milk the current two factions so far before something totally new will be needed for the continuation of this game.

Plus I think we all can agree, when the Romulans do get their time, we want them to be as complete and faithful to the species as possible and not treated like our beloved Klingons have been treated for 2 years. All factions really need to be treated equally by Cryptic.

I completely agree with you I would play a Romulan in a romulan faction but only if the time is right and I feel the faction can grow. But with the state of the game at the moment I very doubt that I will roll one if a faction goers live
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kirkepsilon1kirkepsilon1 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Unfortunately, the statistical data is biased. It only look at who plays PvP in relation to the population and discounts people that do not PvP. Finding out why people do not use a system is beyond the numerics Cryptic collects. Therefore the use of those numerics to drive the direction of content design forms a tautology.

I agree on a separate post on this thread I acknowledged that this poll only represents a small percentage of the community, however this poll amounts to sampling so from their prospective this could be taken as being representative of the whole. The facts are the facts in this case pvp is lagging way behind both in this poll and a survey commissioned a couple of months ago where pvp ranked less than 13%. I think the pvp system in here is a complete waste of time and money if I were the executive producer for STO I would kill it tomorrow and move on.

The other point I was attempting to address is STO is a business and they have to decide what is most profitable for them in the long run and where financial resources need to go in order to make the game better. The current pvp system in here is terrible beyond words anybody who says otherwise is just not seeing clearly and as I said a while back on this thread pvp is totally unimportant as far as the entire game is concerned that and most players do a lot of stf anyway or pve events which are way more fun than pvp.
    :).
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    the PvP aspect is not that great and the whole thing is completely unbalanced. it was made worse by the additions like the Oddy and Bortas without proper testing to back it up.

best way to make sure the pvp has fun is by giving everyone one ship design that has no strengths or weaknesses over the others or the opposite faction, no special abilities, just pure team work in teams.

Tier 1 ships eg Miranda, B'Rel...

Standard Mk1 gear
    Disruptors / Dual phasers
    Standard torpedoes
    disruptor Turret / phaser turret

no cloak, DoFF/BoFF skills or captain skills, no consoles; just a straight up fight between feds or klingons.

I always thought that PvP should always be a fair straight fight, only experience would count, as it should.
This discussion has been closed.