What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ask Cryptic: September 2012

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If that's what you want to think and yell at people who don't agree with you, then that is fine, just don't expect a lot of new people to join your cause. I guess you miss the entire point of a MMO. I feel sad for you. If you represent the majority of the Romulan fans (which I certainly hope you don't) then you'll not be happy with what Cryptic does with the Romulans, whether it be a full faction or not. You may as well quit now and be happy with the Federation and KDF as you'll certainly won't be getting what you want. A one species faction would not succeed hence why the KDF has these other species in it. Here I thought Federation Fan-Boys were bad. :rolleyes:
    I owuld have to say he's in the minority. Why? the sheer number of lists of Romulan races I've seen going around.

EDIT: this is interesting, the ratios have skewed a lot. here is today:
    More Feature Episodes 591 17.22%
    More KDF Content 670 19.52%
    More Fleet Missions / STFs 250 7.28%
    More Foundry Improvements 57 1.66%
    More Rare Ships 88 2.56%
    Playable Romulans 1,045 30.44%
    Improve PVP 290 8.45%
    Improve Duty Officer System 64 1.86%
    Improve Crafting 102 2.97%
    Improve Exploration 276 8.04%

and here is a snapshot of what it was like on the 10th(page 46):
    More Feature Episodes 451 16.80%
    More KDF Content 564 21.01%
    More Fleet Missions / STFs 194 7.23%
    More Foundry Improvements 44 1.64%
    More Rare Ships 68 2.53%
    Playable Romulans 780 29.05%
    Improve PVP 244 9.09%
    Improve Duty Officer System 51 1.90%
    Improve Crafting 72 2.68%
    Improve Exploration 217 8.08%

the ratios of everything have shifted, but the biggest one is the ratio between support for KDF and RSE. Those are the only things that have changed by over a full percentage point.

EDIT2: Apparently I made another snapshot on the 8th(page 33):
    Playable Romulans 543 28.06%
    More KDF Content 437 22.58%
    More Feature Episodes 315 16.28%
    Improve PVP 186 9.61%
    Improve Exploration 163 8.42%
    More Fleet Missions / STFs 131 6.77%
    Improve Crafting 53 2.74%
    More Rare Ships 42 2.17%
    Improve Duty Officer System 33 1.71%
    More Foundry Improvements 32 1.65%
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    zathura00zathura00 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    And the poll results are meaningless because people thought they were voting for a full fledged faction, while Cryptic seems to want to make the Romulans a sub faction of the Feds or KDF. So with people not understanding what they were really voting for, there is no way to use the results.

I'm going to be mad if Cryptic turns it into a sub faction.
  • Options
    wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    kadieras wrote: »
    LOL you can't say you're a fan of the RSE if you have no interest in playing a Romulan. A pure RSE would be boring for YOU, it would NOT be boring for me. Just because other MMO's have done things "this way" doesn't mean this game has to. Just because the KDF has let the riff raff in doesn't mean the RSE has to. What you want isn't an RSE, it's a green skinned Federation. Putting all those races in the RSE means it would no longer be the RSE.

thats a semi good point. there is no need to add races to the RSE for the sake of it. i would actually rather the list was small.

romulans
    liberated borg romulans - shouldn't be hard to make or very time consuming
    reman
    vulcans - already in game
    joined trill - already in game
    hirogen - due to story lines in sto
    alien - already in game

i have thought of others but i think adding offshoots as playable is kinda pointless. maybe theres room for adding them to story lines however.

for me thats an acceptable list for verious reasons. atleast for starters.

ship wise there some really cool ships that need to made playable. for me personally the D'deridex is a must and there would have to be a T5+1 either to compete with the regent(sov)/negh'var or to compete with the bortasqu'/oddy.
  • Options
    oakland4lifeoakland4life Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Playable Romulans with content from level 1-50

Unlikely, it will be more like lvl 20-50 with the current staff they have now.
  • Options
    lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Following other examples on here let me list my choices in order (to better facilitate your intel gathering ;))

1. More KDF Content

2. Improve Exploration

3. More Foundry Improvments

4. More Fleet Missions / STFs

5. More Feature Episodes

6. More Rare Ships (especially Fed and Klingon as opposed to "other")

7. Improved Crafting

8. Improved PVP

9. Improved Duty Officer System

10. Playable Romulans [See Note]

[NOTE]: Personally I couldn't care less about the Romulan faction, as such, since I firmly believe that the only way to keep faith with the Romulan is to put your faith in your D'Ktahg and the D'Ktahg in the Romulan :P. However it MIGHT convince my wife to join the game since she's always wanted to play a Romulan heheheh
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • Options
    kadieraskadieras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Exactly, adding races simply for the sake of adding races is antithetical to the basis of the RSE, if you don't see that then we clearly have a different understanding of what the RSE is. LOL feel bad for me all you want, this is the internet, getting worked up about anything anyone says or does on here is ridiculous.
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    thats a semi good point. there is no need to add races to the RSE for the sake of it. i would actually rather the list was small.

romulans
    liberated borg romulans - shouldn't be hard to make or very time consuming
    reman
    vulcans - already in game
    joined trill - already in game
    hirogen - due to story lines in sto
    alien - already in game

i have thought of others but i think adding offshoots as playable is kinda pointless. maybe theres room for adding them to story lines however.

for me thats an acceptable list for verious reasons. atleast for starters.

ship wise there some really cool ships that need to made playable. for me personally the D'deridex is a must and there would have to be a T5+1 either to compete with the regent(sov)/negh'var or to compete with the bortasqu'/oddy.
    Like the Romulan Alliance System? Of course you do, it sounds fine to you because you aren't Romulans, you're FED or KDF who are going to make a Romulan alt, it makes a HUGE difference in perspective.
  • Options
    lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ...pvp game play is by far the most fun thing to do in game when you get the hang of it. the problem is its very hard to get the hang of...

It is if PvP is what you really like... but not everyone does. I play MMO's because being an online game means far richer and constantly updated content then I could get in a stand-alone game. It also means there are occasional opportunities to interact with like minded folks. However, for the most part, I game in an MMO for the same reason I watch a TV show, read a book or play a stand-alone computer game... escapism! I'm trying to ESCAPE the real world and that includes all the people in it. I don't really LIKE the real people I encounter, for the most part. I prefer the imaginary people I encounter in books, movies, games and my own imagination.

So, no, PvP is not the most fun part of an MMO for me (and many folks like me). Because that means having to interact with REAL people (or the avatars of REAL people). If I wanted that I'd turn the computer off and head down to the local chess club or pool hall or (insert other real world establishment here). I prefer PvE where the "people" I encounter can be depended on NOT to break my immersion, grief me or do anything terribly unexpected. I already get enough of that in my day to day "real world" life... why would I seek more of the same for entertainment purposes?? :confused:
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Exactly, adding races simply for the sake of adding races is antithetical to the basis of the RSE, if you don't see that then we clearly have a different understanding of what the RSE is. LOL feel bad for me all you want, this is the internet, getting worked up about anything anyone says or does on here is ridiculous.
    That is probably the best list. Although Acamarians, Garidians, and Mintakans could work ok.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    The Mintakans and Garidians would make perfect sense since they are Vulcanoid races and Romulan xenophobia doesn't extend to the species of other Vulcanoids simply their cultures. Plus the Garidians would be easy, take everything you make for Romulans and give it a red color scheme. Acamarians are leaning more torwards the Feds then the Romulans, the Talarians would make a better fit but again wouldn't necessarily make sense. Also Hirogen because of the story do not make sense, unless they're going to retcon their entire culture.
    That is probably the best list. Although Acamarians, Garidians, and Mintakans could work ok.
    Like the Romulan Alliance System? Of course you do, it sounds fine to you because you aren't Romulans, you're FED or KDF who are going to make a Romulan alt, it makes a HUGE difference in perspective.
  • Options
    drowrulesupremedrowrulesupreme Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    We appear to have hijacked this thread to further the causes of the KDF and RSE... cool.
    I thought I might make a point about allowing, even encouraging, other races into the RSE.
    When Romulus was destroyed much of the centralisation of the RSE was shattered and splinter groups appear to have formed (Obisek's Reman resistance movement, Sela allying with the Hirogen to aid her cause, etc.). As each of these groups is fighting over, and with, the finite resources remaining from the original might of the RSE does it not make sense that these groups would coerce/cajole/invite other races of similar bent to join them? Once the splinters are made whole again, each of these races would have representatives in a powerful new empire.
    Vulcans who believed the only way to achieve peace was to fight against a more dangerous potential leader of the RSE.
    Remans fighting because they are a race bred for war!
    Liberated Romulan Borg trying to regain their place in the grand scheme.
    Selay worming their way to a better future.
    Hirogen hunting worthy prey in a new quadrant
    Joined Trill seeking new experiences to pass on.
    I for one would welcome this.

Just as I would welcome a True Way faction with Vorta, Jem'Hadar (have a great name already picked), Founders (not allowed to carry weapons and only fights hand-to-hand-to-tentacle), Karemma, Hunters and Cardassians.

I await a full experience for the KDF first, of course.
    "...we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than the things that divide us.”
    Jo Cox 22.6.1974 - 16.6.2016

• Options
    edited September 2012
    The Mintakans and Garidians would make perfect sense since they are Vulcanoid races and Romulan xenophobia doesn't extend to the species of other Vulcanoids simply their cultures. Plus the Garidians would be easy, take everything you make for Romulans and give it a red color scheme. Acamarians are leaning more torwards the Feds then the Romulans, the Talarians would make a better fit but again wouldn't necessarily make sense. Also Hirogen because of the story do not make sense, unless they're going to retcon their entire culture.
    I mentioned Acamarians because they live on the edge of Romulan space as is. Also Acamarians have some similarities to Romulans. One important aspect of [the Vengeance Factor was the unusual chemical composition of Acamarian blood. It combines aspects of hemoglobin and cyanoglobin.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    cryptiecopcryptiecop Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Would be nice to see an equal amount of KDF uniforms added in versus what the Feds currently have...
    cmbanner2015.jpg
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    cryptiecop wrote: »
    Would be nice to see an equal amount of KDF uniforms added in versus what the Feds currently have...

Since only 18% play Klingons such things would't be justified actually. If the devs were completely fair about it only 1 costume out of 5 would be made for Klingons. And only every 5th ship would be for Klingon players to use. If they had some over-capacities I would agree. But since they have not new content should reflect the amount of people actually playing the faction at least to some extend.
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    All I can say is that I'd love to see the Garidians and other appropriate Romulan offshoot species in the RSE.
    cryptiecop wrote: »

I agree, the 18% player base number we all know isn't correct, otherwise why is KDF space and locations packed to the brim? US Convention numbers (which is what Dan Stahl said he got his number from) are a no where near accurate way to determined the number of players in a international MMO game.
    Just as I would welcome a True Way faction with Vorta, Jem'Hadar (have a great name already picked), Founders (not allowed to carry weapons and only fights hand-to-hand-to-tentacle), Karemma, Hunters and Cardassians.

I await a full experience for the KDF first, of course.

I'd like to see the following added to that list for the True Way:
    Kressari http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Kressari
    Lissepian http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Lissepian
    Xepolite http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Xepolite

All whom have worked for the Cardassians at some point and would fit in well.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    True, but their governing system wouldn't lend it self well to joining the RSE. The Talarians however are just as territorial and militaristic as the Romulans. Not to mention that they are used to being governed and responding to a strong central government. The major problem with the Hirogen is that they made their agreement with an individual, they respect individual strength and individual agreements, hell they aren't even unified and operate as roving hunter bands. A race shouldn't be added just because it would be cool, it would have to be a race that the Romulans would be willing to hand command of a Warbird to, to be entrusted with Romulan lives. That last part right there is the kicker.
    I mentioned Acamarians because they live on the edge of Romulan space as is. Also Acamarians have some similarities to Romulans. One important aspect of [the Vengeance Factor was the unusual chemical composition of Acamarian blood. It combines aspects of hemoglobin and cyanoglobin.
  • Options
    varoolvarool Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'd like to see the following added to that list for the True Way:
    Kressari http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Kressari
    Lissepian http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Lissepian
    Xepolite http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Xepolite

All whom have worked for the Cardassians at some point and would fit in well.

these were trade deals, that is all they were. they were not cardassian let alone dominion allies.

try the Valerians or Son'a. these were allies of either cardassian or dominion.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    varool wrote: »
    these were trade deals, that is all they were. they were not cardassian let alone dominion allies.

try the Valerians or Son'a. these were allies of either cardassian or dominion.

cardassians could be even harder to plan than romulans imo. they are in much more of a mess in terms of who whould be in their faction other than themselfs. i think their story needs to progress so it may become clearer of any possiblities.
    will the true way take control and reform a milartry goverment? since i would think that people want to play true way cardassian rather anything else. since the 'current' cardassians are at peace with most.... wouldn't be much fun to play compared to true way.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    there's also the Boslics. Remember the first ep with a Jem'Hadar? It was a Boslic captain that delivered the wreckage to the Federation.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    varoolvarool Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    if you had noticed the female boslics behavior, her name is Rionoj, she was not interested in alliances, only buying a selling what she trades, albeit mostly questionable or illegally at times. i doubt she cared to know either federation or cardassian. besides she wanted to sell junk to quark for a few bars of latinum, if she realized there was a jem'hadar child on board was not her concern.

the second thing is another boslic named Jaheel, he was to try deliver perishable supplies to his destination when a virus hit ds9 where he was stopping over at. he was only interested in his trade deal more then anything.

in both cases they were commited to trading then anything else for profit.
  • Options
    reaper66688reaper66688 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    well this looks good to me. Unfortunately with cryptic/pwe's history ill believe it when i see it. Sorry Brandon and dastahl but ive completely lost faith in you guys hopefully u can gain it back, completing the kdf will go a long way towards doing that and will definitely get me spending money on this game again.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Exactly! Sounds like the sort of race that might find a reason to ally with a major power later. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Since numbers mean so much to dstahl, I hope he realizes that 69% of the players are asking for story content in general, unless "playable Romulans" refers to doffs and grinders.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Since numbers mean so much to dstahl, I hope he realizes that 69% of the players are asking for story content in general, unless "playable Romulans" refers to doffs and grinders.

dstahl likes numbers? Let's try this one:

46 things in centersolace's list in Problems with the new forums: a complete list thread are still not fixed.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    In reference to this Link to the Ask Cryptic.

I am not a tweeter but I would like to ask the ablity to use Lt. tier 1 ships eg. Miranda refit Enterprise A Fed. and QulDun Bird-of-Prey Kdf.This would be at the VA.I would really like to use some of my earlier smaller ships.

What about being able to chang traits?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    nador67nador67 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Re: Roms

I just can't swallow the entire idea about Roms choosing sides. I mean, come on, Trek canon establishes an inherent dislike between Klingons and Romulans. It just doesn't pass the canon test. The Klingons would never take them, and they'd never work well together. Wouldn't it be obvious that they'd ally with the Vulcans?

Maybe the Remans would choose the KDF.

I disagree,

Klingons will not kill all Romulans just because they are Romulans. They understand that individuals vary in levels of honor/dishonor. They (KDF) fought a war with the Gorn, but instead of wiping out the species; they melded them into the empire.

Better yet, the Gorn, Naussicans, and Orions weren't placed into servitude. They all had equal opportunities to earn honor and glory for the empire. And remember that Romulans are much more advanced in Science, Engineering, and Combat tactics then those three.

Klingons would welcome the advancements and even with prejudices against the Romulans; would still allow each the opportunity to earn and/or prove their honor.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Originally Posted by kirksplat
    Re: Roms

I just can't swallow the entire idea about Roms choosing sides. I mean, come on, Trek canon establishes an inherent dislike between Klingons and Romulans. It just doesn't pass the canon test. The Klingons would never take them, and they'd never work well together. Wouldn't it be obvious that they'd ally with the Vulcans?

Maybe the Remans would choose the KDF.

nador67 wrote: »
    I disagree,

Klingons will not kill all Romulans just because they are Romulans. They understand that individuals vary in levels of honor/dishonor. They (KDF) fought a war with the Gorn, but instead of wiping out the species; they melded them into the empire.

Better yet, the Gorn, Naussicans, and Orions weren't placed into servitude. They all had equal opportunities to earn honor and glory for the empire. And remember that Romulans are much more advanced in Science, Engineering, and Combat tactics then those three.

Klingons would welcome the advancements and even with prejudices against the Romulans; would still allow each the opportunity to earn and/or prove their honor.

if the worse case scenario happens, romulans would end up in the feds and remans in the kdf.... at the end of the day that would be a cop out. so having their own faction is the way to go:cool: more options long term. be it story, pve, pvp other races.... etc
  • Options
    romulanforcesromulanforces Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I guess for me, adding Vulcans to the Romulan faction is a mixed thing.
    1.On one side the Romulans are really p'd off that Vulcan would not help them when needed with the red matter; (and I am aware that the Romulan senate delayed things also by not listening to Spock).

2.There are Vulcan isolationists about that would support Romulans, and I believe there would be Vulcans who would be dismayed that their (Vulcan) government would were not prepared to assist others in a time of dire need regardless of their torrid history.

That is why I felt that other races with exception to Garidians, Romulan ex-Borg, Romulan Military, & Tal Shiar should be the starting choices until even level 20. Romulans are still attempting to re-org atm and establish some kind of stronghold. Once that is established and communications are reestablished with off worlders and sympathizers, there would not be any other races with a Romulan faction.

I'm still against having Hirogen as a character choice and think that any Hirogen bridge officers acquired should be like a one off special reward for completing a mission like the feature episode Reman & Breen bridge officer award. I believe and will be writing into my storyline that the Hirogen in general will return to hunting new prey which includes Romulans, and that their agreement with Sela was only a mutual agreement between them and Sela - they both used each other. Hirogen have now established a hunter's base in the Beta quadrant to extend their hunting further on any they cross paths with.
    RomulanCapital2154.jpg
  • Options
    age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I would tend to think they would be separate faction all on thier own don't forget they have the hirogen as allies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    oakland4lifeoakland4life Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I don't think the True Way or the Borg should be playable factions to begin with. first off, the current state of the True Way after the Federation storyline would made them useless. unless Cryptic changes it where the True Way manage to overthrow Detapa council and make a new militant Cardassian Union that could make it a playable faction, but i don't c Cryptic changing their storyline at all. as for a Borg Faction... LOLZ u wish, have u ever seen a Borg drone besides a Liberated Borg or a Borg Queen thinking for itself, giving orders or selecting its own bridge crew... NO. i could see a Possible Borg Renegade Faction but i highly doubt it due to the species & trait problems and not to mention there is playable Liberated Borg character on each side. The only playable faction i could see after the Romulan Star Empire is the Dominion as they could have playable races Founder, Vorta, Jem'hadar, Dosi, Keramma, etc. and maybe the Hunters if or when the Dominion conquer them in the storyline. many of u would say that the Founders would be overpower in the game which i would say to be untrue, i think they should carry weapons if they want and they would need 1 or 2 passive non-attack traits that would fit them and optional traits like the tentacle hold, 360 stretch arm spin or just any other space or ground trait the player want for their Founder character. and again for the Cardassian Union at their current state i think they should be a C-Store Cardassian Playable Character (Like the Joined Trill) and BOff option lending their services for other factions like UFP, KE and a future RSE.
  • Options
    cantthinkeithercantthinkeither Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    will there be an increase in the level cap, and will there be more features that don't require zen as there are many of us out there who do not have the chance to pay real money to buy zen?
This discussion has been closed.