Install Arc
Options

Ask Cryptic: September 2012

Comments

• Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    dastahl wrote: »

And before you say it again... yes we realize what the Foundry can do. We built the tools and we get it.

I would probably change "Foundry" to "Foundry authors." Personally, I'm rather more amazed at what they've been able to do to make your game feel like Star Trek, despite the limits, bugs, and design flaws of the toolset that Cryptic built.

The authors have been almost the sole source of new story content for this game for well over a year now. Perhaps they can get some of the credit for what the tools can do.

I know that you "get it" from a tech point of view. I really hope, though, that you also "get" what some of these stories do to the general feel of the game.

Probably my favorite player review of "The Needs of the Few" reads like this: "I've never felt more like a Starfleet captain, standing there in my ready room." That person hadn't fired a shot during the entire mission. But, he had to make a difficult choice.

All those ships, shinies, costumes, accolades, dead Klingons... He had never felt more like a Starfleet captain standing in his ready room and trying to make a recommendation to the Federation council.

When moments like those transform a gamer's experience, don't ignore them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thetruthurtsthetruthurts Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    And before you say it again... yes we realize what the Foundry can do. We built the tools and we get it.

If you get it then what have you been waiting on? How much begging and pleading do we have to do before you actually take advantage of the foundry? What is the hold up?
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    i do want to say something on pvp i do not think any mmo can do with out it

ive always said wow with out pvp game would not most likely be the game it is to do with out it

every mmos has always had 3 types of player base

1 PVE

2 PVP

3 RP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    If you get it then what have you been waiting on? How much begging and pleading do we have to do before you actually take advantage of the foundry? What is the hold up?

i have to agree ive said it before i will again the day i herd of the foundry i new it was going to be the Dev excuse to not pump out Dev mission

now like me and meany others have said Dev needs to start adopting them in to the main sto story line so this game can start going forward with the games story and not really staying stuck on year one
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    That is the trouble with those pesky time travelers... they are seeing one of many possible futures. For example in All Good Things, future Geordi mentions that the Klingons had taken over the Romulan Empire,
    Yeah, that possible future got changed. We know that because the Ent-D got destroyed in Generations. There wasn't enough left of if to make into Riker's flagship.
    yet crewman Daniels shows Archer a different future where everyone is working together and urges Archer that there is a chance that future might not come to pass.
    Yeah, the Xindi as Federation members I can buy. Romulans? Not the whole race. Maybe a few colony worlds, but not the whole race.
    There are many possible paths for the Romulans to take, not to mention that the Romulan Empire is already a bit splintered after the destruction of Romulus.
    A splintered faction could be interesting to write though.
    As game designers, if we were to consider adding playable Romulans, we would need to determine the perspective from which the player will beging their journey. For example, if we were to make playable Romulans a faction within Sela's fleet, then all of the mission content would put you squarely at odds with the both the Feds and Klingons. If instead players started as a refugee then perhaps there would be more opportunity to work with the Feds and KDF, while trying to resist the represive military agenda. There are a lot of different ways we can go, but it would be unlikely we could represent all the different perspectives from a single game experience.
    Why single? To make the Romulans interesting you could make it so that the player chooses which Romulan faction to help. All of them are for gameplay purposes "allies", unless the current mission dictates otherwise.
    So before we go down that path, our writing staff would work with CBS to determine the most logical path for "players" to play as Romulans and then we would ensure that the experience feels "Romulan" even though it might represent only a subset of the different viewpoints within the empire.
    Again, why does it need to be singular? Fed side you have around a dozen NPCs that give you missions(some of which aren't even Fed) but most of them support a single overall goal. They just go about it in sometimes different ways. For Romulans you could have the various mission contacts have varied agendas depending on who is backing them. Some would work for Sela, some would oppose Sela, some would want to mend relations with the Remans, some would want to subjugate them. To me it sounds like a lot of fun. Needless to say it probably sounds like a lot of work to you. I imagine it would be. The result would be AWESOME though. Oooh! Maybe to cut down on the time required you could do some missions where you take an existing mission and retell it from a Romulan point of view. A few of my personal favorites for this:
    http://www.stowiki.org/Mission:_Minefield
    http://www.stowiki.org/Mission:_Divide_et_Impera

I've wanted to kill Zelle ever since the first time I played that mission...... In fact I guessed she was an Undine early in the mission (mainly due to her insistence on leaving no witnesses). I really wished that there was an alternate ending where she dies....

But I digress. It'd be fun and somewhat reduce dev time, maybe, I don't really know, but it seems like it would to me.
    And before you say it again... yes we realize what the Foundry can do. We built the tools and we get it. If there is an opportunity that we feel makes sense for the game, we will pursue it.
    BTW what about making Foundry PvP Arenas? It seems rather simple to me. It's just that current foundry missions never allow for spawning players as enemies.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    the Xindi as Federation members I can buy. Romulans? Not the whole race. Maybe a few colony worlds, but not the whole race.A splintered faction could be interesting .

yes and no maybe a few i think of this like worf unless they where raised by humans i cant beleave they would join the feds

for they are too smug and arrogant and not to say they do not like outsiders at all
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    oldjerseydeviloldjerseydevil Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm not surprised the way the polls are going right now as I type. I've added my vote for crafting for the simple reason that it should be easier to develop and could probably benefit a larger amount of the players present and future.

I think there should be more content for the KDF but surprisingly, as a big fan of the Klingons in the game as well as the franchise I think they're OK the way they are, at least for the short term. The Empire has weathered many storms and come out stronger than ever each time. They are just used to getting by with less and that makes them stronger in my opinion. Every potential ally in the great dance of diplomacy is just another potential enemy biding his time and sharpening his dagger in the dark. Some, like the Romulans are just more forthcoming or plain obvious about their duplicitous nature. How will the Federation ever make amends for turning their back on the Empire over the cleansing of the Gorn homeworld? Will the truth bring former allies together or drive a deeper wedge between them?

But I digress. My vote is for crafting for the simple reason that it should be easier for those who invest the time, effort & resources into it to craft something as good or better than what you can buy off of the Exchange or get from STF drops. Everyone wants their own favorite type of weapons and gear with all the special buffs. Personally I think adding dilithium to crafting was mistake and it's become worse since the need for it has increased with the Fleet projects.

What if we add another rare element to the game that's as hard to grind for as dilithium but tradable, so it's not considered another currency? Something as desirable as the better STF drops only not that rare that comes in many variants and could be added to existing PvE or even PvP events as well as new or older content. For the sake of discussion let's just call it "Non Borg Salvage X" And I can almost hear the groans, sorry I couldn't resist, but bear with me.

Non Borg Salvage or just Salvaged Material X, where the X is a random trait like a weapon type or modifier [Tet], [Pha], [Dis] or [Acc], [Dam], [Crit] Etc etc... Doff missions could be used to further refine thsi salvage into more usable material at which point the end product could be made account bound or the unrefined material could be used in mad tinkering crafting projects with a chance to "fail" and create something less than expected or "Crit" and create something truely unigue! Plasma/Disruptor Hybrid XII anyone? Or maybe something of a vanity project, Some ship or ground set cobinations with desirable stats, nothing over the top , but when the three pieces of the sets of the same MK are combined different visuals like the Reman sheild or the Crystalline EV suit are produced along with a nice buff to hull or health.

Just throwing ideas out there, thinking outside of the box. It would be nice to see the crafting system get a shot in the arm, maybe make it more desirable to players to learn crafting or at least for them to want to know somerone who does! ;D

As always, if something along these lines has already been brought up in this or other threads, well sorry.

As
  • Options
    r0mulannpcr0mulannpc Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2012

There are many possible paths for the Romulans to take, not to mention that the Romulan Empire is already a bit splintered after the destruction of Romulus.

As game designers, if we were to consider adding playable Romulans, we would need to determine the perspective from which the player will beging their journey. For example, if we were to make playable Romulans a faction within Sela's fleet, then all of the mission content would put you squarely at odds with the both the Feds and Klingons. If instead players started as a refugee then perhaps there would be more opportunity to work with the Feds and KDF, while trying to resist the represive military agenda. There are a lot of different ways we can go, but it would be unlikely we could represent all the different perspectives from a single game experience.

So before we go down that path, our writing staff would work with CBS to determine the most logical path for "players" to play as Romulans and then we would ensure that the experience feels "Romulan" even though it might represent only a subset of the different viewpoints within the empire.

And before you say it again... yes we realize what the Foundry can do. We built the tools and we get it. If there is an opportunity that we feel makes sense for the game, we will pursue it.

Dan your starting to understand us romulans, to determine our perspective and story is simple, for too long we have been abused in the tv shows, movies, and most of this game with stupid plots and writing of characters that diminished our empire into a joke.
    I'm sure their a kestrel circling above ready to pick the bones!

Change that because we are awesome !!! Don't believe me, well let me enlighten you all.

Because we are sneaky b*stards, and we played you all using underhand tactics and cunning plans, enabled by our spies ,operatives , and loyal subjects. That went on these missions.

To return our empire into it's former glory and beyond. we been doing this...

Tricked the icionans into bringing back romulas while gettin rid of that stinking Sela, fair deal to me!

Used those expert hunters the hirogen to wipe out undine infilltration within our ranks.

Stole tech from the borg to strengthen our fleets.

Used the remans rebels to distract and drag FED & KDF onto thier side, which gave us infiltration opportunities on our turf.

Used the above on Fed & KDF to manipulate bringing back the true empress Donatra and rescue her from the borg and again from Fed/Klingons.

Yridians contacts put us in touch with the gorn uprising which we supported to destablised the Klingons and gain augment bio-tech for our loyal reman troops & heal our empress.

Infiltrated those brainwashed vulcan unificationist nutjobs to steal one of the federation's most advanced starships and used that to attack the cardassians. and destablilsed relations between the two.

Visted the mirror universe to hire ourselves, so we could become vulcan for the above mission.

Used the tholians to stop the separatists within our ranks and liberate iconians which we can unleash on our enemys.

And that is just a sample of the awesome RSE full unique faction is capable of.

I'm sure the klingons will insult my intelligence, and i have this to say "At least we didn't blow up our own moon."
    And for you Fed fans out their believing i'm tricking people into have another content drought with having the Romulan Star Empire, All I Say is
    " It's a FAAAAKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • Options
    commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Just for your benefit I'm not quote mining I was simply saying that his views were in line with mine and its an academic method used in order to help support an argument which in this case for me was why pvp should be gotten rid of and I do not profess to be an authority on it just intelligent and smart enough to present a good argument :).

As for popularity of course it matters since there would be no point investing resources in something within game that would not be very favored by a good majority of the players so therefore my argument stands. There is more statistical data that supports my argument and in light of the continuing problems with pvp shutting it down would be best in the long run. :)

Unfortunately, the statistical data is biased. It only look at who plays PvP in relation to the population and discounts people that do not PvP. Finding out why people do not use a system is beyond the numerics Cryptic collects. Therefore the use of those numerics to drive the direction of content design forms a tautology.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    r0mulannpc wrote: »
    Dan your starting to understand us romulans, to determine our perspective and story is simple, for too long we have been abused in the tv shows, movies, and most of this game with stupid plots and writing of characters that diminished our empire into a joke.

Change that because we are awesome !!! Don't believe me, well let me enlighten you all.

Because we are sneaky b*stards, and we played you all using underhand tactics and cunning plans, enabled by our spies ,operatives , and loyal subjects. That went on these missions.

Tricked the icionans into bringing back romulas while gettin rid of that stinking Sela, fair deal to me!

Used those expert hunters the hirogen to wipe out undine infilltration within our ranks.

Used the remans rebels to distract and drag FED & KDF onto thier side, which gave us infiltration opportunities on our turf.

Used the above on Fed & KDF to manipulate bringing back the true empress Donatra and rescue her from the borg and again from Fed/Klingons.

Yridians contacts put us in touch with the gorn uprising which we supported to detestablised the Klingons and gain augment bio-tech for our loyal reman troops & heal our empress.

Infiltrated those brainwashed vulcan unificationist nutjobs to steal one of the federation's most advanced starships and used that to attack the cardassians. and detestablilsed relations between the two.

Visted the mirror universe to hire ourselves, so we could become vulcan for the above mission.

Used the tholians to stop the separatists within our ranks and liberate iconians which we can unleash on our enemys.

I'm sure the klingons will insult my intelligence, and i have this to say "At least we didn't blow up our own moon."
    And for you Fed fans out their believing i'm tricking people into have another content drought with having the Romulan Star Empire, All I Say is
    " It's a FAKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

this one after my romulan heart :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    " It's a FAKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    I loved Vreenak. :) It's too bad he was assassinated by Garak. But he liked the Dominion too much.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I loved Vreenak. :) It's too bad he was assassinated by Garak. But he liked the Dominion too much.

if romulan ever found this out and they new sicko let him do it i think they would unite together and go to war with the Feds just a thought :)

and its a Fake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    kadieraskadieras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    LOL if anything it would increase the RSE's respect for the Federation.
    daan2006 wrote: »
    if romulan ever found this out and they new sicko let him do it i think they would unite together and go to war with the Feds just a thought :)

Like the Romulan Alliance System? Of course you do, it sounds fine to you because you aren't Romulans, you're FED or KDF who are going to make a Romulan alt, it makes a HUGE difference in perspective.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    kadieras wrote: »
    LOL if anything it would increase the RSE's respect for the Federation.

do you forget how sumg they are and arrogant not to say a little hot headid at time ? :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Supposedly in soft canon it was hinted that the Romulans did find out. http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/In_the_Pale_Moonlight_%28episode%29
    In a Star Trek: New Frontier short story by Peter David, it is suggested that the Romulans uncovered Sisko's deception at an unknown point in the future, leading to open warfare between the United Federation of Planets and the Romulan Star Empire. (Tales of the Dominion War: "Stone Cold Truths").
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Supposedly in soft canon it was hinted that the Romulans did find out. http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/In_the_Pale_Moonlight_%28episode%29

bet that would have made for a interestin episode
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Fantastic news regarding the foundry in NW:
    Since rewards are based off of the average completion time of the quest, this kind of exploit wouldn't work, and you would just get trash from the chest.

This is also why we don't allow authors to directly reward XP for completing tasks. It exposes the Foundry to heavy exploitation.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=190111#post190111

Yes, they are scaling mission rewards based upon average mission completion time. This kills 1-click missions, and there is nothing you can personally do to game the system(like going AFK) since it is based on average time, not your personal time.

Once STO gets this tech and people are actually rewarded for the time they spend playing foundry missions, many more people will be willing to play them.
  • Options
    edited September 2012

Yes, they are scaling mission rewards based upon average mission completion time. This kills 1-click missions, and there is nothing you can personally do to game the system(like going AFK) since it is based on average time, not your personal time.

Once STO gets this tech and people are actually rewarded for the time they spend playing foundry missions, many more people will be willing to play them.

why not just have it be the same reward for every one? just a thought
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    romulanforcesromulanforces Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Romulans, to start as a refugee or under Sela's rein? How about none of those. How about this:

The Romulan Empire IS splintered. However, Elements of the Romulan Military fleet and Tal Shiar of whom were on scientific missions in unexplored space on the far side of the Beta Quadrant have survived. They have started establishing a secret base within a planetoid with the hope of rebuilding what has been lost.

Sela is gone. Where is still a mystery. The Iconians are still a threat to all including those surviving Romulans. Not all elements of the Tal Shiar were working with the Iconians. In fact there was a split within the ranks, Donatra was one. Her delving into Borg technology was originally part of a plan to develop a defence against the Iconian threat. Unfortunately the Borg technology was too powerful to control and she was assimilated into the collective.

However, Donatra's body was salvaged. A prototype warbird with new stealth technology based upon that used by the USS Raven (as seen in Voyager) was able to beam what was left of Donatra aboard and escape undetected. The Borg technology was removed and data downloaded from a Romulan nano recorder that was masked to integrate with Borg tech. This was the one safe guard in place if Donatra's mission had failed. Her DNA had been stored for cloning so that the new empire would have a figurehead one day that all Romulan's could relate to.

The new Praetor would be a moderate who would establish cooperation between the likes of the military and the Tal Shiar. This Romulan was one of honour and wisdom respected by all. He was not driven by warring with the Federation or the Klingon Empire. He was of the people. He was Commander Konsab, a military history instructor who once taught at the Romulan Intelligence Academy (this is canon). His priority was to establish a secure base and a fleet shipyard. A new fleet was essential to maintain defence, as Hirogen appeared to be allied with the Romulans, but have turned now with Sela gone and the Romulan civilisation at it's weakest. They need new prey to hunt.

But they also need to locate resources. The refugees of the empire want peace, security, and food on their plate. They also dream of the hope that a saviour will come one day and unite all Romulans with the birth of a new strong empire that serves all Romulans.

The Romulan's once fought against a powerful enemy on the far side of the Beta quadrant who were unknown to most until the crew of the USS Enterprise D made 1st contact after discoverying the "Unity Device" (ST: TNG game "Final Unity"). The Chodak!!

However, what no one knew, was that the the Chodak forces the Romulan's were fighting were in the process of rebuilding after having fought an ancient war themselves. The Chodak were the victors of this ancient war, but at a huge toll to their empire. This ancient war was fought against the Iconians, and it was the Chodak that expelled them into another dimension. By reclaiming the "Unity Device", the Chodak have been able to rebuild their great empire.

The Romulan fleet are hiding out on the far side of the Beta quadrant on a planetoid that is masked by a nebula. While on a survey mission, (playable character) scans an anomoly and discovers an ancient data rod. Returning to the hidden base, the data rod is handed over to the science team who discover that it is Chodak in origin. It takes some time, but they are able to piece together some key parts of the data. They discover that the Chodak were the ones that defeated the great Iconian Empire!

From this point on, missions are centred on locating the Chodak, skirmishes with Hirogen hunters to prevent the Romulan's location from being discovered, and cat n mouse with Chodak ships while attempting to contact their leadership and start peace talks.

The key to uniting all Romulans is through it's once enemy - the Chodak! Contact with other races must be avoided in order to remain in safe exile - this may mean destroying ships from the other factions.
    RomulanCapital2154.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    why not just have it be the same reward for every one? just a thought

I would estimate that once the mission gets a few dozen plays the average time wont be changing much at all, meaning everyone who plays from that point will be getting basically the same reward.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I would estimate that once the mission gets a few dozen plays the average time wont be changing much at all, meaning everyone who plays from that point will be getting basically the same reward.

but what about teaming? to me more ppl faster completion not saying im one but some like to just be lone wolfs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited September 2012

Wow awesome news here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    but what about teaming? to me more ppl faster completion not saying im one but some like to just be lone wolfs

Not really true. Mobs scale up on teams, so the more players, the more ships and enemies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Yridians contacts put us in touch with the gorn uprising which we supported to destablised the Klingons and gain augment bio-tech for our loyal reman troops & heal our empress.

Infiltrated those brainwashed vulcan unificationist nutjobs to steal one of the federation's most advanced starships and used that to attack the cardassians. and destablilsed relations between the two.

" It's a FAAAAKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Yet not cunning enough to have ferreted out the rogue elements inside your own government without being fed this information by the Reman leader.

Yet not intelligent enough to heed Spock's warning regarding Hobus and accept his plan.

Yet not wise enough to begin evacuation of Romulus until one day before its demise.

In effect, you killed billions of your own people and destroyed your entire planetary system.

Klingons only lost half a moon.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    bloctoad wrote: »
    Yet not cunning enough to have ferreted out the rogue elements inside your own government without being fed this information by the Reman leader.

Yet not intelligent enough to heed Spock's warning regarding Hobus and accept his plan.

Yet not wise enough to begin evacuation of Romulus until one day before its demise.

In effect, you killed billions of your own people and destroyed your entire planetary system.

Klingons only lost half a moon.

you Klingons would have been and dun the same thing but only you would have killed spock on the spot and your government has had its on internal problems to and needid the help of the feds to solve it :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    diogene0 wrote: »
    I don't really agree with those who say that the Foundry can solve any issue. This isn't supposed to be a sect, right, "have faith in the Foundry and all your problems will vanish"?:D

Okay, let's be more serious now.

I don't believe the Foundry can solve any issue, because the Foundry can't have the editing levels the devs have. Okay, there is still room for great maps and good stories, but it doesn't mean that new game experiences shouldn't be added. That's why I'm in favor of adding some foundry episodes (not much) and more cryptic episodes added to the stotylines.

Heck! Cryptic episodes are more interesting to play, not because the stories are better, they are equal to Foundry episodes, but because every single new mission you add means new assets, new maps, very well balanced combat, and new ways to play the game. This is extremely important.

I'm not saying that the foundry content is inferior, but it can't replace genuine and new content. Of course, you could take several foundry eposides, but it has a limit, and TBH I fear it will be rquickly repetitive and boring if we see the same assets over and over. And no foundry author can make a decent featured episode. None of them, even if they can come up with a great story, can add new gameplay experience.

As an author myself (not the best one, but still), I enjoy finding the names of props that were used by other authors in their maps. "oh, the captivity device x is there", "oh, I know these candles", etc. I can easily imagine what a new player could think if he has the same thoughts: it's a cheap game developped by lazy devs. On the contrary, every single cryptic mission, including the worst ones, looks like a new game experience.

I love the foundry, but I strongly believe that it should remain "the foundry", something different which can't be mixed with regular content.

I've been saying this in regards to the KDF for quite sometime. A lot of people seem so desperate for content they'll agree to anything just to have new missions. If Cryptic was to just make the players do all the work, this would no longer be a corporate production and everything may as well go free imo.

I would rather wait and get Cryptic content rather than foundry missions going official, foundry missions I can already play.
    halcyon3 wrote: »
    Yet crewman daniels tells archer on the enterprise-J that the current incarnation of the enterprise has both xindi and romulan crew members serving aboard.......... just something for people to think about where some romulans go seeing as how it is canon....... :)
    varool wrote: »
    saying it and showing it are two different things, Daniels may have been pulling archer's leg. it's possible but you are 150 years too early for that.

even if it were true romulans were serving in starfleet, it is not known what drove them to join.

I think the destruction of their homeworld, the fracture of their Empire and their people going without basic needs like food would be enough to at least have several boarder colonies to join the Federation. Remember a world has to be united under the one government to be considered. The whole Empire doesn't have to join just a world/planet.

The same could be said with the Remans on the KDF, a colony asked for KDF assistance and protection, in return like the Gorn, they were forced to serve the Empire.

Romulans, to start as a refugee or under Sela's rein? How about none of those. How about this:

The Romulan Empire IS splintered. However, Elements of the Romulan Military fleet and Tal Shiar of whom were on scientific missions in unexplored space on the far side of the Beta Quadrant have survived. They have started establishing a secret base within a planetoid with the hope of rebuilding what has been lost.

Sela is gone. Where is still a mystery. The Iconians are still a threat to all including those surviving Romulans. Not all elements of the Tal Shiar were working with the Iconians. In fact there was a split within the ranks, Donatra was one. Her delving into Borg technology was originally part of a plan to develop a defence against the Iconian threat. Unfortunately the Borg technology was too powerful to control and she was assimilated into the collective.

However, Donatra's body was salvaged. A prototype warbird with new stealth technology based upon that used by the USS Raven (as seen in Voyager) was able to beam what was left of Donatra aboard and escape undetected. The Borg technology was removed and data downloaded from a Romulan nano recorded that was masked to integrate with Borg tech. This was the one safe guard in place if Donatra's mission had failed. Her DNA had been stored for cloning so that the new empire would have a figurehead one day that all Romulan's could relate to.

The new Praetor would be a moderate who would establish cooperation between the likes of the military and the Tal Shiar. This Romulan was one of honour and wisdom respected by all. He was not driven by warring with the Federation or the Klingon Empire. He was of the people. He was Commander Konsab, a military history instructor who once taught at the Romulan Intelligence Academy (this is canon). His priority was to establish a secure base and a fleet shipyard. A new fleet was essential to maintain defence, as Hirogen appeared to be allied with the Romulans, but have turned now with Sela gone and the Romulan civilisation at it's weakest. They need new prey to hunt.

But they also need to locate resources. The refugees of the empire want peace, security, and food on their plate. They also dream of the hope that a saviour will come one day and unite all Romulans with the birth of a new strong empire that serves all Romulans.

The Romulan's once fought against a powerful enemy on the far side of the Beta quadrant who were unknown to most until the crew of the USS Enterprise D made 1st contact after discoverying the "Unity Device" (ST: TNG game "Final Unity"). The Chodak!!

However, what no one knew, was that the the Chodak forces the Romulan's were fighting were in the process of rebuilding after having fought an ancient war themselves. The Chodak were the victors of this ancient war, but at a huge toll to their empire. This ancient war was fought against the Iconians, and it was the Chodak that expelled them into another dimension. By reclaiming the "Unity Device", the Chodak have been able to rebuild their great empire.

The Romulan fleet are hiding out on the far side of the Beta quadrant on a planet that is masked by a nebula. While on a survey mission, (playable character) scans an anomoly and discovers an ancient data rod. Returning to the hidden base, the data rod is handed over to the science team who discover that it is Chodak in origin. It takes some time, but they are able to piece together some key parts of the data. They discover that the Chodak were the ones that defeated the great Iconian Empire!

From this point on, missions are centred on locating the Chodak, skirmishes with Hirogen hunters to prevent the Romulan's location from being discovered, and cat n mouse with Chodak ships while attempting to contact their leadership and start peace talks.

The key to uniting all Romulans is through it's once enemy - the Chodak! Contact with other races must be avoided in order to remain in safe exile - this may mean destroying ships from the other factions.

That is the best idea I have heard yet for Romulan storyline and faction ideas. It also ties in one of the best old school Star Trek games, a Final Unity, which I played when I was a kid and enjoyed. I still have A Final Unity today but can't play due to running newer PC's with newer hardware and software.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I've been saying this in regards to the KDF for quite sometime. A lot of people seem so desperate for content they'll agree to anything just to have new missions. If Cryptic was to just make the players do all the work, this would no longer be a corporate production and everything may as well go free imo.

I would rather wait and get Cryptic content rather than foundry missions going official, foundry missions I can already play.

I think the destruction of their homeworld, the fracture of their Empire and their people going without basic needs like food would be enough to at least have several boarder colonies to join the Federation. Remember a world has to be united under the one government to be considered. The whole Empire doesn't have to join just a world/planet.

then you will be waiting almost a year for one FE serise for that looks like the production time on them KDF has to play the same thing Feds do

and romulans apart of feds or KDF sickins me as a romulan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited September 2012

Good luck with the waiting game. I hope that you'll see one or two KDF story missions in the next 2 years. They'll probably give you some cross-faction content, though. I wouldn't expect a single mission that advances KDF lore. Here is a paddle, for the ride.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    you Klingons would have been and dun the same thing but only you would have killed spock on the spot and your government has had its on internal problems to and needid the help of the feds to solve it :P

I didn't realize you were writing for Crypitc. You can furrow that brow and theorize until green blood begins flowing freely from your nose and pointy little ears but Donatra is a zombie and Romulans destroyed their own empire while the Klingon Empire stands firm. The only respectable RSE figure remaining is Obisek, who isn't even Romulan.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    bloctoad wrote: »
    I didn't realize you were writing for Crypitc. You can furrow that brow and theorize until green blood begins flowing freely from your nose and pointy little ears but Donatra is a zombie and Romulans destroyed their own empire while the Klingon Empire stands firm. The only respectable RSE figure remaining is Obisek, who isn't even Romulan.

im going on the Klingons history :)

and Obisek is a joke and a Fed pansy and not even a romulan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
This discussion has been closed.