test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic: When are you going to fix the ship I bought a year ago?

aethon3050aethon3050 Member Posts: 599 Arc User
Remember last September, when you released the Venture class ship on the C-store (back when it was a C-store)? I bought it because it looked beautiful, like a Galaxy should have looked from day one (although I still like the original nacelles and pylons, but that's just me).

Imagine my surprise when, while trying to customize the ship you sold me, I noticed all the windows were broken. I had blue windows on the neck, beige windows on the engineering hull, and half the windows under the saucer were simply missing. I realize this is minor, but I paid real money for this thing.

Now...fast-forward one year into the future. Is this thing fixed? No. It's still broken. You've added a bunch more ships to the C-store, and I've supported your company with further purchases, with the hope that you'd fix the one you sold me.

But it isn't fixed. It's still broken. Sure, it's only a visual change...but it's a visual change we paid for with real money, since there wasn't a way to earn Cryptic Points in-game back then. In essence, something you sold us was not as advertised, and we want it fixed, especially since the Fleet Exploration Cruiser is on the horizon...yet another thing on which you expect many of us to spend real money.

I'm not complaining about the quality of the ship (one of the more beautiful ships in the game, if you ask me), and I have very few complaints about the game in general...but please, PLEASE, tell us when you plan to fix this thing. The ships are the real stars of Star Trek Online, IMHO; they need more attention to detail than this.
Post edited by aethon3050 on

Comments

• chi1701dchi1701d Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Unfortunately, the cryptic responses to questions like this are not what you would like to hear. Since its a visual bug and not a game breaking bug, it will be on the bottom of bug fixes to get done. Also, since its a zen store ship (cryptic store), it would cost them $ to go back and hire/use staff to go back and fix a graphical issue that probably wont bring back more income to cover the cost to fix the issue.
  • aethon3050aethon3050 Member Posts: 599 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    chi1701d wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the cryptic responses to questions like this are not what you would like to hear. Since its a visual bug and not a game breaking bug, it will be on the bottom of bug fixes to get done. Also, since its a zen store ship (cryptic store), it would cost them $ to go back and hire/use staff to go back and fix a graphical issue that probably wont bring back more income to cover the cost to fix the issue.

This isn't a complex issue that requires the model to be tweaked; we're talking a quick window fix. It's really simple:

1. Add the windows to the part where they're missing.
    2. Make all the windows the same colour.

Having done modelling and texturing work for a mod that is presently nearing completion, I can tell you that a quick edit of the window layer, and a joining of the window layers between the different pieces, wouldn't take one person very long.

Frankly, I'd fix it for free, if they'd allow me to do so. I just want my ship to not look like I stole someone else's saucer, lol.
  • jer5488jer5488 Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    What makes it worse is - the mismatched windows - is just a linked texture error. If you have the Dreadnought, you can see that you can edit which windows you're using without any problems. Meaning finding the texture error and replacing the code would be a three, maybe four minute fix. Mirroring the texture to correct the missing windows on the bottom of the saucer? Fifteen minutes, maybe.

It's almost inexcusable that the errors have been allowed to exist on the Venture for this long. It's the most beautiful of all the '2409' ships, and has the worst texture errors...
  • mkilczewskimkilczewski Member Posts: 284
    edited August 2012
    aethon3050 wrote: »
    This isn't a complex issue that requires the model to be tweaked; we're talking a quick window fix. It's really simple:

1. Add the windows to the part where they're missing.
    2. Make all the windows the same colour.

Having done modelling and texturing work for a mod that is presently nearing completion, I can tell you that a quick edit of the window layer, and a joining of the window layers between the different pieces, wouldn't take one person very long.

Frankly, I'd fix it for free, if they'd allow me to do so. I just want my ship to not look like I stole someone else's saucer, lol.

They got your money, dude. You can't unring a bell. My saucer still shoots phasers, when separated, even though it's armed with disruptors. Bugs the TRIBBLE out of me to the point, where I don't want to even seperate it. At some point in the far, distant, future, when Cryptic learns the point of patching is supposed to be fixing, not breaking, stuff, maybe it'll get addressed. Or not. Don't hold your breath.
    edited August 2012
    They got your money, dude. You can't unring a bell. My saucer still shoots phasers, when separated, even though it's armed with disruptors. Bugs the TRIBBLE out of me to the point, where I don't want to even seperate it. At some point in the far, distant, future, when Cryptic learns the point of patching is supposed to be fixing, not breaking, stuff, maybe it'll get addressed. Or not. Don't hold your breath.

And we guarantee it'll never be fixed if we shut up and never say anything, because that would tell Cryptic we don't care.
    edited August 2012
    Another week, another set of patch notes, still with nothing on this issue. Still no response, still no ETA, still a broken ship, and we're just a couple days away from the 1 year anniversary of the day I spent money on this ship.

I'm seeing new uniforms, free desktop wallpapers, and even concept art for stuff from season 7. Can you please take a few minutes and fix the ship you sold us a year ago?

If you do, I shall sing you the song of my people. Seriously, if you get on Teamspeak with me, I will sing it for you. I could also dance the dance of my people for you, but that would require a webcam, and it would probably start getting kind of creepy at that point.
  • stockwelldaystockwellday Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm posting to support you, but don't hold yer breath.

I have two officers on my bridge with belts/shirts the same colour, and rank pips/com badges the same colour because for whatever reason their colours are linked. Change one, it changes them both.

Same uniform options on other characters are normal and not linked. :rolleyes:

Added: And just to note, other large MMO companies with larger games *cough* Wow *cough* have out waited me with model updates. The original Druid cheetah "travel" form was a placeholder graphic at launch in 2004, but did not get updated until recently. I left that game long before then. (although not because of that tiny issue)
  • ahab122ahab122 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Simple fix: Complain long enough and they will fix it.

Trust me on this XD
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    No need... they have your money, and as such have no need to make the ship better.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    its sad that a company can go from being known for great customization to being infamous for selling overpriced broken stuff :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captsunscaptsuns Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Posting to keep this bumped to the top and to support. I don't have the Venture but something like this would bug the carp outta me.
    edited September 2012
    Still no fix - still no Dev/Gm response on either the forums or from my bug tickets.
  • tebsutebsu Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    i would be even happy if they just cancel season 7 and instead put in a patching-season where there are no new things but old things fixed (like this problem). if i wouldnt be such a big star trek game. i would have left the game after just a few hours of gameplay because of so many bugs and stuff i dont like in this game.
    What ? Calaway.
  • alchemistidalchemistid Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Posting to support. The window glitches just make the Venture look shoddy. There's no excuse for this to still be a problem after an entire year.

Then again, the same goes for the TNG/FILM combadges which have been messed up for a year that they're still selling the outfits for (S1 TNG and Racing Uniform) instead of adjusting model size/coordinates, the Retrofit's saucer becoming a Galaxy even if it's supposed to be a Monarch or Venture upon docking, ect.

None of that matters, however. They got your money, that's how it is.
  • starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Posting to offer my support as well. :)
  • borg7of10borg7of10 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It's like Cryptic's Motto Once you have a Paying Customers Money Tell Them Too Dam Bad were Not gonna
    Do SH*T To Help You All Cryptic's Ever Done is Give Players nothing but Excuses and that's IF they even bother to Respond to your question in a timely manner, if even at All that is thats why i Terminated my Gold
    Account and just went F2P and Stopped Buying Anything from their Store because in all Honesty Why Should I Support Cryptic's Game if all they Ever do is RIP OFF their Customers Anyways?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    Another patch, another missed chance to fix this.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,818 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    My suggestion is, sumbit a ticket to PWE explaining the issues with your purchase and insist on a refund or it be fixed.
    edited September 2012
    PWE didn't sell me the ship, though; this was quite a while before they acquired Cryptic, and the store was still the C-store, with no way to earn C-points in-game.

I really don't want a refund; I just want the thing fixed. The most irritating things are how easy and quick it is to fix this, and the fact that we've had zero response so far.
  • kilemorgankilemorgan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Keep posting in here, keep making tickets.
    Whatever you can do to be more visible.

If possible add some screen shots showing how bad it is?

It doesn't matter to me if the ship came from the c-store, ranking, or a gift like the 2nd anniversary. Care should be taken to make sure it is complete or else you look like a company that doesn't care about it's product.
    edited September 2012
    Good idea, kilemorgan. I just took these in the ship tailor.

The first pic shows a Galaxy, using Type 3 Windows and Type 2 material. The saucer and neck are from the Venture; however, when they were added, the hull component reverts to Type 1 windows, no matter how many times you try to change it back.

1.png

The second pic shows the same as above, but now the only Venture part used is the neck, which has the correct windows, unlike the rest of the ship.

2.png

The third pic shows the missing windows underneath the Venture saucer; these windows are missing regardless of the window type selected.

3.png

Last but not least, there's the fact that the saucer isn't lining up correctly with the neck; the top of the saucer is too tall, and needs to be lowered to match properly.

4.png

Cryptic, PLEASE take care of this. We're not asking much, especially since we already paid you for this thing.
    edited September 2012
    I'm not seeing anything about this in today's patch notes, and still no replies. Come on, Cryptic...
    edited September 2012
    Another week and another bug report. It's very annoying not even getting a reply from someone about it.
    edited September 2012
    Cryptic, could you just send me the model you're using for the saucer? I'll fix that part for you, for free. Seriously. I just want the damned thing fixed.
  • areikou#8990 areikou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If you can get them to fix the windows, can you get them to fix the misaligned phaser lance on the dreadnought as well? Oh and the lance completely covers the NCC registry for the ship also, that'd be a great fix. I would think this would take a person all of 10 minutes to fix.

Better yet, maybe we should create a thread with every single graphical glitch that we can find in this game and show them this is what we want fixed. Small stupid things like this break immersion and the simple fact that they were never fixed shows that Cryptic just doesn't care.

Well, looks like this is already created and stickied at that. However, due to the forum change, the posts can no longer be edited to make changes to what needs to be fixed.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=163481
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
    is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.
    edited September 2012
    Hey, look! Another patch, and it's still broken. Bet ya didn't see that one coming.
    edited September 2012
    The problem with the off center lance is it wouldn't be a ten minute fix. That's a model error. Meaning they would have to rebuild the saucer model, retexture the skins to fit the new model, and then update all of the instances of that model in the game. Even fixing such a 'simple' issue with a model is a six or seven hour job at the least. Until the starship models themselves are updated for higher graphics cards and such, the off center lance will stay.

Which is a tragedy in itself. Unfortunately this is the same with the 'hump' on the Venture saucer. Rebuilding the model is very time and resource intense.

Mirroring the bottom of the saucer's texture patterns and rebinding the windows isn't. Anyone with access to the tools and dev rights could update the saucer window textures in fifteen minutes. That's just laziness.
    edited September 2012
    And here we are for the next weekly episode of 'New patch, and we're completely ignored again'.
    edited October 2012
    It's been a month and there's still no reply to either my bug reports or the forum thread. Either fix the windows or mirror the missing windows. Either fix is fast and easy!
    edited November 2012
    I'm not really sure what is worse: failure to fix a year-old problem that has been made clear to them via both the forums and bug reports, or failure to communicate their reasons for not fixing it. Either way, I've given up hope for this thing ever being fixed.