What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The chat ban system needs an overhaul change

Comments

• Options
    kilemorgankilemorgan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    So, they mute you from chat for 24 hrs after one comment. Call that spam.

Yet.

They spam us all day every day with So and So just opened a box and got a ship.

Hmmmm.
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    aestu wrote: »
    Frivolous claims are legally actionable. Calling the cops claiming that your neighbor is blasting music when the truth is you just got in some sort of argument with him or you don't like that he's having a fun party and you weren't invited is fraud and entrapment, which are against the law. Your analogy is fail.
    I am not making an analogy. Ask a cop.

When another person's party goes above a certain decimal, the police can go to the person's house and order them to tune it down. They can be arrested if they refuse.

Its an actual law.
  • Options
    aestuaestu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    linyive wrote: »
    I am not making an analogy. Ask a cop. When another person's party goes above a certain decimal, the police can go to the person's house and order them to tune it down. They can be arrested if they refuse. Its an actual law.

It's "decibel" not "decimal", and almost no one can actually judge decibel by ear. Nor is what you describe typically grounds for arrest, usually the cop will just write the person up and the person will receive a court summons.

Anyway, your response is non sequitor. You're missing the entire point of the thread which is that some players are abusing the report spam feature by reporting messages that don't qualify as spam simply because they don't like the message.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fogerty1fogerty1 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well Starfleet Dental and Shutup Wesley Deserves to be in my Ignore List after Butts Called me and other Female Character Players a Sexual Predator but i know someone who got Chat Banned for Threatening to Report a Troll and another friend who got week banned from DC Universe all because what a Lying Troll Says that's why Despise the GMs they never Banned the Trolls they never banned the Hackers and they never banned the pvp Cheaters in STO instead they banned players for no reason and Dental they like to make ppl get banned in sto or make them leave and they took pics of ppl responded to their Trollings i just hate em what they did to me and my friends but they'll never make me leave sto and they never will they're all abunch of Heartless Trolls who care no one but themselves

Yes you are correct about Dental taking pics and posting it on some blog elsewhere telling people they will be internet stars. Like ANYONE other than their unloved selves or friends, actually visits the blog. I mean getting 100 hits to a website in 6 months, is something to be ashamed about. lol
    Too Bad, So Sad
    PS: Sollvax, no need to add your worthless wooden nickel comments.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Anyway, your response is non sequitor. You're missing the entire point of the thread which is that some players are abusing the report spam feature by reporting messages that don't qualify as spam simply because they don't like the message.

We've previously not had an method of contacting the GMs to report cases of abuse. Reporting as spam was really the closest thing we've had.

We now have a GM button. Or I;m assuming we do since I'm still download the patch.

Hopefully the correct method of dealing with issues will now be used.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    We've previously not had an method of contacting the GMs to report cases of abuse. Reporting as spam was really the closest thing we've had.

False. I opened several tickets and made threads in the support forums. They know the issue exists. They don't see it as a priority, and won't until it gets so bad they can't ignore it anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    False. I opened several tickets and made threads in the support forums. They know the issue exists. They don't see it as a priority, and won't until it gets so bad they can't ignore it anymore.

Excuse me. I misspoke.

There's was no automated click and report system ingame to make a report.

There is now.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Excuse me. I misspoke.There's was no automated click and report system ingame to make a report. There is now.

They introduced the exact same thing to WoW about a year back, right before they fired 600 GMs. It's a cost-savings tactic, not a way to improve customer service.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    They introduced the exact same thing to WoW about a year back, right before they fired 600 GMs. It's a cost-savings tactic, not a way to improve customer service.

Didn't say it was. Just said that it was there now.
  • Options
    srgtburglarsrgtburglar Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I thought DS9 was bad till I spent some time at Drozana and was shocked at some of the things being said and done there.

What's to be expected though it appears to be Ferengi operated :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Opening a lockbox is like using a public restroom when u gotta poo.
    You are just hoping nobody blew on the seat or that all the toilet paper is gone.
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    cakeballscakeballs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I thought this thread was worth reviving.

So my buddy Butts entered Starfleet Academy and spoke once in zone chat. Immediately he was silenced less than 30 seconds later.

Can you say this silencing system is abused? :confused:
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Depends on what he said....
  • Options
    johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm sure it can... with every function, it can be used for good, or used for bad.

From what I understand it requires X number of ignores to get you silenced.. so I suppose a group of people could purposefully start ignoring a particular player to get them chat banned.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    dazzaj wrote: »
    I disagree, due to the fact that random invites being sent pop up on the players screen, usually over the top of whatever they were doing.

Where as chat it's not taking focus from any of the players open windows...

Sort of like the difference between asking politley "please join my fleet" (recruitment message)
    or being demanded... "JOIN MY FLEET NOW DAMMNIT, NOW!" (popup)

(But, recruitment messages do become spammy and annoying DEPENDING on if the recruitment message is repeated rapidly multiple times, (Like more than once every 60 minutes or so), THEN it becomes annoying in my opinion)

I agree it's the only reason I have my resource collectors (Alt Characters) in my fleet, to stop that fleet spam requests.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    fogerty1fogerty1 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This is why I just dont go to Drozana...

Agreed, same for me, just another notch of things being prevented from worthy paying customers. It's the Craptic way. :)
    Too Bad, So Sad
    PS: Sollvax, no need to add your worthless wooden nickel comments.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    fallenhawk wrote: »
    There a recruitment channel . Who would of thought...that right not to many and most of new player won't even know how or there was one. OH and not everyone one go on the forums only a small % of the people do, they the % is most people who in a fleet or been around this game and just forum junkies.

The only bad spammer is a gold spammer any others are just fine.

Maybe a better idea would be a fleet recruitment channel instead of having it all in the normal zone chat.
    An official Fleet Recruitment channel would have to exist for this to work. Player-created channels only become popular if they are promoted. So instead of Such-and-such fleet seeking Captains in zone chat, we get Join the Fleet Recruitment channel! instead.

You see? Using open channels to share information can't be avoided. In fact, that is what those channels are for. UNLESS, you are the sort to constantly report anything you (generally speaking) aren't interested in reading that day as spam. Which is the bone of contention here.

When and if I bother to send our recruitment messages, I would never do so more than once in a half-hour. Period. But not everyone recognizes the need for that kind of etiquette. Thus, drawing the evil eye of Sauron from our less patient player's.

(/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Also, as a reminder from the Release Notes for July 26:

UI:
    • Added the ability to block Fleet invitations.
      This is in the social menu, under Privacy on the Search tab.

(/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I suppose if I'd been actively using chat every day since pre-launch and had to suffer through fleet spam every five minutes, I'd be tired of looking at it too and maybe not too particular about who I reported.

I've long since come to the notion that chat invites are probably not terribly effective in reaching the kinds of players a fleet really wants.

The much-maligned PUGs are probably more fertile ground for establishing friends who might one day join your fleet and be active.

That said, it sounds like chat ban is entirely too open to abuse. And that out-of-band avenues for communication are really, really important.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    bluegeek wrote: »
    That said, it sounds like chat ban is entirely too open to abuse.

Not only that but one of my fleet friends was today banned for saying "evening" in the zone chat by mistake.Of course you TRIBBLE someone in the zone chat and fleet chat is not working.He was not the only person to get this on ESD today.

All I can say about this is that this system was created by a really <<stupid person>> .I don't care if I get a ban here for saying that because Im really annoyed about this s*** system which can be exploited by anyone.Im in a small fleet and we can't talk/chat to organize stuffs because some people exploit game functions which are there only to be used to annoy people.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    It would be nice if the chat bans were channel-based instead of global. I suppose that's too much work for Cryptic to institute, and leaves things way too open for spammers.

But I don't understand why there couldn't be an exception for team and fleet chat?

In other words, get a chat ban and get locked out of everything except for team and fleet chat.

There doesn't seem to me to be a good reason to lock people out of their own fleet's fleet chat. If some fool is spamming his own fleet's chat channel, the fleet can deal with that themselves if they choose to.

Likewise, banning people out of team chat makes playing in a team harder, if not impossible. Why discourage people from playing the game? If some fool is spamming team chat, the team leader can kick them out after the mission's done and not let them back in. In other words, team chat can also be self-moderated and doesn't need a chat ban.

Would that be a good compromise?
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
  • Options
    mjaymor78mjaymor78 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I have been silenced 5 times in STO. 1 out of the 5 was after a fleet recruitment, the other 4 was after just chatting in Zone. After my last silencing, I have hidden zone chat out of all my chat tabs, can't see it at all and ever since I stopped chatting in zone I have not been silenced.

I am a member of 25 channels, I don't need zone chat. Not suggesting you stop chatting in Zone, but it's helped me and I have not missed having zone chat at all.

Cryptic will never get rid of report spam silencing, which makes no sense seeing how there hasn't been any true spam in over a year. So you just have to figure out how you can not be effected by it anymore, basically stop chatting in zone, trust me you won't miss it.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    mjaymor78 wrote: »
    I have been silenced 5 times in STO. 1 out of the 5 was after a fleet recruitment, the other 4 was after just chatting in Zone. After my last silencing, I have hidden zone chat out of all my chat tabs, can't see it at all and ever since I stopped chatting in zone I have not been silenced.

I am a member of 25 channels, I don't need zone chat. Not suggesting you stop chatting in Zone, but it's helped me and I have not missed having zone chat at all.

Cryptic will never get rid of report spam silencing, which makes no sense seeing how there hasn't been any true spam in over a year. So you just have to figure out how you can not be effected by it anymore, basically stop chatting in zone, trust me you won't miss it.

I rarely ever use, or even pay attention to, zone chat myself :)
  • Options
    mewimewi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    [9/6 3:09] [Zone] Mewi@mewi: lets get 500 likes over here :3http://raptr.com/dstahl/news/5047cbe75248b8e3ba/raptr-q-amp-a-star-trek-online

IS ALL I said ONCE, and before I could even say anything else, I was silenced for 24 hours. You guys really need to work on this system, that is nuts.

Why should players have control over whether or not another player gets muted? 50% of the human population is stupid, the other 30% are trolls and the other 20% are the only ones with common sense.

You gave power to the trolls, and who do you find most commonly in a zone chat? That is right, trolls, so who did you give the power too? That is right, the trolls.

What do trolls do? Lie, cheat, etc, why can't a troll have like 10 characters waiting to spam report someone to get them silenced for 24 hours? This is only proof that the system is being abused on a large scale, I was silenced for ONE zone chat message, before that I hadn't made a single message about anything in ESD zone chat for days.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    | Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    This topic belongs in General Feedback, not in the Free-to-Play Q&A forum, so I have moved it.

While I believe you ought to submit a ticket about your personal issue, I am reading this as a plea to the Devs to make some kind of adjustment to the Chat ban system.

Any suggestions about what changes could be made that would not open the door too wide to chat spam?
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    What probably happened was people didn't click your link. I guarantee a lot of them don't know what Raptr even is (I don't either) and assumed you were spamming some garbage. No sane person is just going to click a random link to see if it's garbage or not, because that's a good way to get a virus. Additionally, very few players actually read the forums, so even fewer people will know what you're talking about. Not to mention, "lets get 500 likes over here :3" followed by said mystery link sounds an awful lot like attention ***** spam.

In essence, you got silenced because you posted something that looks for all the world like common spam. There was no trolling involved here. Frankly I'd've probably spam reported you for that too if I hadn't already known about that promotion.
  • Options
    obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    OP, you posted a URL into a public chat; that probably triggered the spam auto-detection tool. Lamentably, spammers use the same thing to advertise gold-farming services, and there's little a auto-detection tool can do to discern between one URL or another.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • Options
    mewimewi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    bluegeek wrote: »
    This topic belongs in General Feedback, not in the Free-to-Play Q&A forum, so I have moved it.

While I believe you ought to submit a ticket about your personal issue, I am reading this as a plea to the Devs to make some kind of adjustment to the Chat ban system.

Any suggestions about what changes could be made that would not open the door too wide to chat spam?

I need to make this as harshly as possible, both as an ex GM and a moderator.

My suggestion is, don't resort to lazy game mechanics that WILL BE ABUSED. This function is not for the players, it is for the moderators who are too lazy to do their job appropriately.

Sorry, but there is no excuse for giving players the ability to silence other players, they should have no authority in this matter. Do you see civilians legally arresting other civilians? That is what the police are for, local populous are not qualified to make rational, experienced judgments, so why do you give them the authority when they lack the rationale?

What happened to me, should of never happened, period. You are alienating your base with this lazy game mechanic, and it isn't an improvement on spam control, it is an improvement on player vs player based discrimination.
    OP, you posted a URL into a public chat; that probably triggered the spam auto-detection tool. Lamentably, spammers use the same thing to advertise gold-farming services, and there's little a auto-detection tool can do to discern between one URL or another.

I've posted links in zone chat in the past, and had no such issue. If this is the result of a auto silence feature, then again, lazy game mechanics. Keep in mind this was an official STO event.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    | Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
  • Options
    obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I think you assume player malice when you were just shut down by an automated system that looks for URLs in public chat channels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
This discussion has been closed.