test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The chat ban system needs an overhaul change

srgtburglarsrgtburglar Member Posts: 138 Arc User
Its a sad day when you get silenced for nothing when all of ESD is spamming Gorn jokes.

I pop in a recruitment message and BAM! Youve been silenced for 24 hours WTF?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Opening a lockbox is like using a public restroom when u gotta poo.
You are just hoping nobody blew on the seat or that all the toilet paper is gone.
Post edited by srgtburglar on

Comments

• jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Nobody likes recruitment spam. It's arguably worse than random fleet invites because instead of one person, you're annoying large swaths of people with it.

That said, it's rather stupid that they jumped on you like that after only one message. I only spam report the idiots that repeat it more than five times in ten minutes.
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Rumor is that if you're ignored enough times, it'll ban you as well.

i usually give folks the chance to make a couple requests but had one person earlier today who was every 5 seconds. They got reported and that was after other players asked them to stop and they didn;t
  • mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It has never been a rumor,

Enough people dislike you and your message and you are banned.

Simple.

Sorry to say your best bet is report those that yell at you and hope others join in. At least then you get some payback.
    gHF1ABR.jpg
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yeah that sucks. You're sending an innocent recruiting message in chat, and then you're Gorn.
  • wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    jkstocbr wrote: »
    Yeah that sucks. You're sending an innocent recruiting message in chat, and then you're Gorn.

LOL Nice one
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • srgtburglarsrgtburglar Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It wouldnt aggro me as much if I could still message fleet members/ friends
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Opening a lockbox is like using a public restroom when u gotta poo.
    You are just hoping nobody blew on the seat or that all the toilet paper is gone.
  • dazzajdazzaj Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Nobody likes recruitment spam. It's arguably worse than random fleet invites because instead of one person, you're annoying large swaths of people with it.

I disagree, due to the fact that random invites being sent pop up on the players screen, usually over the top of whatever they were doing.

Where as chat it's not taking focus from any of the players open windows...

Sort of like the difference between asking politley "please join my fleet" (recruitment message)
    or being demanded... "JOIN MY FLEET NOW DAMMNIT, NOW!" (popup)

(But, recruitment messages do become spammy and annoying DEPENDING on if the recruitment message is repeated rapidly multiple times, (Like more than once every 60 minutes or so), THEN it becomes annoying in my opinion)
    STO Guides for your Android? Yes. Yes we do. STO Guides - Google Play.
  • kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This is Bullcrap. My Fleet Leader got chat banned for this a few days ago. One message and BAM He was silenced. I was in the zone when it happened. (He informed us through alternate means) and I called attention to it. We are just trying to run a business here, trying to promote our fleet and our game in a public chat room. As Long as it is not Spammy (Which I usuall use the rule of thumb of once every 15 minutes.)

Why is it hurting anyone? If people are silencing you because they do not like fleets, that is bullcrap.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    actually i see a few fleets that continually advertise...wondering if someone had a brain drizzle and realized you can silence the competition by exploiting the chat ban mechanic.

cryptic has made the fleet building mechanic such that larger fleets = fastest growing bases. more members = more resources to build the bases.

they should have made requirements based on % of accounts iin the fleet for project costs >.> or at the very least a tiered system small, medium and large fleets have different costs.

as it is now...it's grab every warm body available...ahh the drama...ferengi popcorn vendors are getting rich
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
    edited July 2012
    maina wrote: »
    It has never been a rumor,

Actually officially you get the 24 ban if folks report you as spam. The being ignored by a number of players and getting a ban for it is rumor.

There have been a number of threads on this previously.

Sorry that once again you don;t understand.
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,297 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    kyeto13 wrote: »
    Why is it hurting anyone? If people are silencing you because they do not like fleets, that is bullcrap.

If it was just your fleet leader who was advertising, I doubt people would be bothered. The trouble is, LOTS of people advertise thier fleet on the local channel, and people get so sick of it, that they just ignore them as soon as they pop up.

I beleive there is a recruitment channel, so there really is no need to advertise in local zone chat. If people are interested in joining a fleet, they will join a fleet recuitment chat channel or forum.
  • fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    equinox976 wrote: »

I beleive there is a recruitment channel, so there really is no need to advertise in local zone chat. If people are interested in joining a fleet, they will join a fleet recuitment chat channel or forum.
    There a recruitment channel . Who would of thought...that right not to many and most of new player won't even know how or there was one. OH and not everyone one go on the forums only a small % of the people do, they the % is most people who in a fleet or been around this game and just forum junkies.

The only bad spammer is a gold spammer any others are just fine.
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
  • fogerty1fogerty1 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
    Too Bad, So Sad
    PS: Sollvax, no need to add your worthless wooden nickel comments.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
    edited July 2012
    Too Bad, So Sad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,297 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    fallenhawk wrote: »
    The only bad spammer is a gold spammer any others are just fine.

It seems most people disagree with you, as almost all fleet spammers - er I mean 'advertisers' get silenced within minutes, if not instantly.

Like I said, if people are interested in joining a fleet, they will find thier own means of joining. Meanwhile, the rest of us have no interest in having it rammed down our throats by a hundred different sources.
    edited July 2012
    It seems most people disagree with you, as almost all fleet spammers - er I mean 'advertisers' get silenced within minutes, if not instantly.

Like I said, if people are interested in joining a fleet, they will find thier own means of joining. Meanwhile, the rest of us have no interest in having it rammed down our throats by a hundred different sources.

I totally agree with Equinox on this.
    Too Bad, So Sad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012

Maybe a better idea would be a fleet recruitment channel instead of having it all in the normal zone chat.
  • cakeballscakeballs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    cormoran wrote: »
    Get organized, grab up a group to ignore them en masse and get them silenced.

It's how this game works, no one's gotten into trouble for it, you can silence anyone you want for any reason you want. The system hasn't changed since STO went live and it's not ever going to change, so make use of it to your advantage.

I'll be sure to notify Cryptic of you trying to organize an in-game militia to disrupt other peoples gameplay.

And maybe Dental will target you just because, who know? :rolleyes:
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well clearly enough people felt that you were disruptive, or you would'n have been reported enough to earn the ban.

I've been here for more than 2.5 years, and I have yet to receive any kind of silence or ban anywhere.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    cakeballs wrote: »
    I'll be sure to notify Cryptic of you trying to organize an in-game militia to disrupt other peoples gameplay.

And maybe Dental will target you just because, who know? :rolleyes:

Go for it, go on, in fact I DARE you to. It'll prove that they won't actually do anything. Afterall, they've done nothing to starfleet dental who are organised specifically to go out to disrupt other peoples gameplay. They've also had this system in place since STO went live and despite complaint after complaint after complaint, have done nothing to curb those silencing others for any reason whatsoever.

As for dental, they can target me to their hearts content, they won't get the response they look for. Who knows, maybe they'll target you too, just because. :rolleyes:
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If it was just your fleet leader who was advertising, I doubt people would be bothered. The trouble is, LOTS of people advertise thier fleet on the local channel, and people get so sick of it, that they just ignore them as soon as they pop up.

Maybe the people who do recruitment over Zone/Local Chat are not aware of the recruitment channel I for one was not aware of one until you mentioned it but I think banning someone for sending one mission is childish especially after some of the vulgar things I have read on the Zone chat in all areas DS9 and ESD are prime culprits which means I only use chat for that recruitment only and send one message hour and a half if I try and recruit. I have a seperate tab for fleet and and team chats
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • psonixpsonix Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Its a local zone chat and ESD is the first place new comers step into fed side. I dont see the problem with active recruiting in places like this. Also recruiting would be better served in local chat since new silver players cant talk in zone
  • brokenmirror2012brokenmirror2012 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The silence system has obious problems. For one, i can get my fleet, and mute anyone i want, easily. I can be muted by someone who doesnt like me. When im muted i cant PM people on my friend list or use team chat, making pvp impossible. The scilencing system should not ban people from Team chat, PM with people on friend list, or Private channels you are Operator, admin, or owner of, or fleet/officer chat. Why cant i talk to my fleet because some <insert profanity of choice here> people silenced me. Just make it so silenceing only affects public...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aestuaestu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    maina wrote: »
    It has never been a rumor, Enough people dislike you and your message and you are banned. Simple. Sorry to say your best bet is report those that yell at you and hope others join in. At least then you get some payback.

Ignoring someone and reporting them for spam is not the same thing. You are saying one thing (that many ignores result in a ban) but describing something else (abusing the report spam feature for the purpose of harassment.

I've had the same experience OP did, getting chat banned because someone didn't like what I had to say. Not liking a message is a poor but passable basis to ignore it; it is not a valid basis to report it for spam.

I have opened many tickets after spiteful players reported me for spam because they didn't like the opinions I expressed in a private channel. PWE doesn't respond.

It's an abuse of the chat system and it needs to be fixed. Players who abuse the report spam feature should get temp banned. Simple.
    anazonda wrote: »
    Well clearly enough people felt that you were disruptive, or you would'n have been reported enough to earn the ban. I've been here for more than 2.5 years, and I have yet to receive any kind of silence or ban anywhere.

If you haven't pissed anyone off, you aren't getting anything done. Being insignificant is not an accomplishment.
    cormoran wrote: »
    Go for it, go on, in fact I DARE you to. It'll prove that they won't actually do anything. Afterall, they've done nothing to starfleet dental who are organised specifically to go out to disrupt other peoples gameplay. They've also had this system in place since STO went live and despite complaint after complaint after complaint, have done nothing to curb those silencing others for any reason whatsoever.

As for dental, they can target me to their hearts content, they won't get the response they look for. Who knows, maybe they'll target you too, just because. :rolleyes:

At this point, I have come to believe that the only way this problem will get solved is that enough people utilize the exploit that the problem becomes so big that it seriously disrupts gameplay for enough people and PWE finally fixes the problem.

It is unfortunate that is necessary, but PWE has made the choice to not be responsive to tickets and deal with the problem without it being deliberately exaggerated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012
    or but i know someone who got Chat Banned for Threatening to Report a Troll and another friend who got week banned from DC Universe all because what a Lying Troll Says that's why

Threatening to report another player is actually considered by many to be against the ToS/AUP. Most players will report you on the spot for that and that is what happened in this case.

if you;re going to go ahead and tell someone that you;re going to report them, just go ahead and do it.

Not like anything will become of it anyway.

edit: Oh and dude. Periods. Seriously.
  • rooster75rooster75 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Threatening to report another player is actually considered by many to be against the ToS/AUP. Most players will report you on the spot for that and that is what happened in this case.

if you;re going to go ahead and tell someone that you;re going to report them, just go ahead and do it.

Not like anything will become of it anyway.

edit: Oh and dude. Periods. Seriously.

Mike, do you have to comment on every post that is made on the forums? lol

1662 posts. How much will that number go up today?
  • edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    To let people report and auto ban using that is not only stupid but its something made only to annoy people.
    I never spam fleet recruitments in zone chat and I never report or ignore because I don't know why zone chat exists to know if thats spam or not.If everyone would ignore /flame/report anything we don't like we would play singleplayer games.I do not ignore even people with gorn jokes because people like to tell tehm and the game is to make people laugh and have fun not to ignore people and make enemies.

And yes there are some people (a guy who has a toon called ban or something like that) who reports people just for fun .He has a team or some friends to do the same thing and he picks random people.To make the situation suck even more then he laughs at them in zone chat.

Now with this update they will report to a Gm random people.Of course since we know people will abuse it cryptic will need more GMs than developers ...

a week ago I was banned for 24 hours (in 2 years this never happend and I don't think I became a spammer in 2 years) because I tried to sell a fleet module in zone chat after 4 other people tried the same thing.I posted once and 1 minute later I was silenced for 1 post .Probably someone knows why zone chat exists and what should people write in it .

Dunno if is against or not but it is stupid.Why would anyone threat a person who plays a game to have fun.Isnt that against the fun idea?
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    kyeto13 wrote: »
    This is Bullcrap. My Fleet Leader got chat banned for this a few days ago. One message and BAM He was silenced. I was in the zone when it happened. (He informed us through alternate means) and I called attention to it. We are just trying to run a business here, trying to promote our fleet and our game in a public chat room. As Long as it is not Spammy (Which I usuall use the rule of thumb of once every 15 minutes.)

There is your flaw. "Star Trek: Online" is a game.

If you are a citizen of the United States, you would know that we have laws against harassment. One of those rights allows us to pursue our happiness is peace. You can call the cops on a neighbor that uses a loud radio, or you can sue a company for sending harassing mailings or phone calls. Police have the ability to ticket or arrest someone for disrupting another individual's pursuit of peace.
  • aestuaestu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    linyive wrote: »
    If you are a citizen of the United States, we have laws in place that protect an individual's rights in both private and public. You can call the cops on a neighbor that uses a loud radio, or you can sue a company for sending harassing mailings or phone calls.

Frivolous claims are legally actionable. Calling the cops claiming that your neighbor is blasting music when the truth is you just got in some sort of argument with him or you don't like that he's having a fun party and you weren't invited is fraud and entrapment, which are against the law. Your analogy is fail.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.