test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scheduled Maintenance (August 10, 2012)

Comments

• loverofwarsloverofwars Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    i was right in the middle of creating a new character warning next time please?
  • allmyteeallmytee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Even after this patch the game clients will randomly crash, at least once every few days i get a random disconnect,
  • sonoframonsonoframon Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    awolfe59 wrote: »
    1. It's not whining to complain about bad customer service and non-existent warnings. If enough people express their ire they might just wake up and not repeat the mistake.

2. We'll keep beating on the horse until it screams. It isn't dead. Not yet.

I'm good with deating dead horses... the smell and the sights. All set with that. Beat a pinata, now that's wholesome fun for the family :)

Umm yeah, Considering for example, the tribble fleet project. Where do they find these focus groups at??? Who tells the devs:
    BIG WIG AT PWE: "Hey, our *core demographic* (certainly not us) wants to have their fleet starbases spruced up, any ideas?"
    Dev: We could add a Fleet Sovereign to starbases. That would bring in much needed revenue.
    Dev2: We could always go back and get some of these long-standing bugs fixed
    Dev3: PvP, revamp PvP!!!

BIG WIG (after interrupting the Devs): I know what! We can have Targs walking inside KDF bases, and for Fed bases, we can do... TRIBBLES!!! More than even Cyrano Jones has ever seen!

*devs shake their heads in disgust as they now have to implement this idea or get fired*

BIG WIG: And I want this out in 3 days. Starting yesterday.

Probably a true story. If they haven't listened to us so far,I highly doubt that they'll miraculously start to listen.

p.s.: these are solely the opinions of "sonoframon" and may not be used negatively against him, as this is clearly satirical in nature.
    WELL IF THE JAPORI INCIDENT HAS TAUGHT ME ANYTHING, IT'S THAT MY EXISTENCE IS AN EXPLOIT. THANKS CRYPTIC.

IF YOU ARE READING MY SIG - THEN YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG
  • voldaunitvoldaunit Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    sortof wrote: »
    Bought a reinforcement duty officer pack, got me doffs of it, and system message says I got 5 x Frag Ferasan Grapes ... or sumthing like that. Except that I did not receiev any of those, either in my inventory, bank, or character belt. Nada. Filed a ticket, guess what. No response.

Now I care little for those ferasan commodities, but imagine if this was a Tuffli pack, than I would be more than pissed.

Reset server or fix bugs away, make the game work as you intended. Right ? Okay ? thank you.
    Want my ferasan stuff, too, btw.

Angry Bob

PS. Ok, sorry but first thinng in the morning, before my coffee I come to check me officer, and bam, servers offline. It kinda upsets ya, you know. Makes ya hands tremble twice as much. Addicts have rights too !

Sometimes this stuff goes in this weird overload bin. I finally noticed it sitting as a button at the bottom of my inventory.
  • brackynewsbrackynews Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    sonoframon wrote: »
    Think of all the s**t we throw at them for every little thing we see wrong with this game. You don't think at this point they are at the tipping point as is? I'm almost expecting a Cryptic dev to raid my house and shoot me because of all the tickets I've sent them about my client randomly crashing for no apparent reason...

Hah, well I will admit I have an open ticket from last year about a mission glitch and I'm absolutely amazed at how frustrated my language was at the time. And the GM response was perfectly civil. I haven't followed up yet. It really doesn't matter.

Then I had to write a new ticket, in a much more civil tone, and while I am sceptical that the GM response is truly accurate in my case, I can see that it is a viable possibility from their standpoint. And unfortunately I have absolutely no way to prove otherwise, because individual C-Store transactions don't create a paper trail. :P Convenient! Nobody seems to be bothered by that, either.

Nah, I don't think I could be a video game developer. I know how awful and entitled us customers are. ;)

And how am I using this downtime? Working on my uber-thread for cataloguing every UI glitch in the game until they get fixed. :eek:
    =/\= Transwarp 10.0 Victory Achieved on 26-July-2012, Six Months After F2P =/\=
  • miguelistermiguelister Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Guys, seriously you need to stop throwing a nerd-tantrum over the game being down for maintenance. Okay fine, they screwed up by not giving proper warning - BAD CRYPTIC! NO BISCUIT! Okay, now moving on....

This is an MMORPG - like WoW and many others.... for those of you who don't know the work it takes to keep games like this consistently RUNNING for all you nerds who play all day and night with no life let me tell you Cryptic ain't sitting on their arses laughing at you while you complain. They are busy keeping their stuff going for you guys! I know - I'm a computer programmer myself :D.

Let's look at some of the wonderful things that has happened since PWE bought Cryptic (one year)...

1. F2P launched which exponentially increased their user base (called overhead).
    2. A modest amount of content added...
    3. Fleet starbases and a hell of a lot of new stuff included.
    4. Foundry updates.
    5. Other stuff - like doubling their design staff, etc...

So..... how about you give them some slack eh? It is clearly obvious that PWE is throwing a lot of resources into STO (as opposed to the tards at Atari....) so why don't you be patient, go outside, get a girlfriend, and WAIT for the fun?

• switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    So, since we are all waiting anyway, how many people here think the Ask Cryptic answers will be out before the Vegas Q&A? Along the same lines, if the Ask Cryptic comes out after the Q&A, how many think there will be answers in the Ask Cryptic that weren't already answered in the Q&A?
  • betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    malan29 wrote: »
    OHHH He meant the Elite Tholian boxes from the nukara ground missions? Here I was thinking lockboxes since nobody really cares about the nukara boxes anymore lol.

i am a collector so i ended up getting the Tholian crystal set to upgrade it, but i was digging through blues for it and sometimes those had nothing in them, other then that, ya, they are not as good as they used to be, lot of green and blue suits, they should put other mystery prizes in it :D
    but i don't think they will :(
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • malan29malan29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Guys, seriously you need to stop throwing a nerd-tantrum over the game being down for maintenance. Okay fine, they screwed up by not giving proper warning - BAD CRYPTIC! NO BISCUIT! Okay, now moving on....

This is an MMORPG - like WoW and many others.... for those of you who don't know the work it takes to keep games like this consistently RUNNING for all you nerds who play all day and night with no life let me tell you Cryptic ain't sitting on their arses laughing at you while you complain. They are busy keeping their stuff going for you guys! I know - I'm a computer programmer myself :D.

Let's look at some of the wonderful things that has happened since PWE bought Cryptic (one year)...

1. F2P launched which exponentially increased their user base (called overhead).
    2. A modest amount of content added...
    3. Fleet starbases and a hell of a lot of new stuff included.
    4. Foundry updates.
    5. Other stuff - like doubling their design staff, etc...

So..... how about you give them some slack eh? It is clearly obvious that PWE is throwing a lot of resources into STO (as opposed to the tards at Atari....) so why don't you be patient, go outside, get a girlfriend, and WAIT for the fun?

I only have 1 question... What's a "girl"
  • pillslingerpillslinger Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    allmytee wrote: »
    Even after this patch the game clients will randomly crash, at least once every few days i get a random disconnect,

Of course you will still get random crashes, the devs have to do be able to perform their scheduled, yet unscheduled, not much warning emergency maintenance patches at some point. I could care less about cryptic shutting the game off for fixes, just warn us next time. Thankfully I wasn't doing anything important.
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    xag81 wrote: »
    There are days one hates living on the other side of the world...it may be midnight for some, it's only 5pm here....end of day de-stress...not available and no warning before being booted...

Seriously, do you want people going postal?

Indeed it's 5PM for me too, at least last night's patch is around 11:30PM time for bed so no big deal.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
    edited August 2012
    ... If you have to ask, then you have played too much online games :D
  • awolfe59awolfe59 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Ask your mom. :P
  • brackynewsbrackynews Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    switchngc wrote: »
    So, since we are all waiting anyway, how many people here think the Ask Cryptic answers will be out before the Vegas Q&A? Along the same lines, if the Ask Cryptic comes out after the Q&A, how many think there will be answers in the Ask Cryptic that weren't already answered in the Q&A?

I was actually hoping there will be a podcast for the panel.

Realistically there will probably be many of the same questions asked for both.

If dstahl and branflakes have the time to do forum questions as usual, it will probably be forum stuff. Otherwise, somebody else has to be given the task of transcribing the panel from a recording, in which case they might as well put out the recording.
    =/\= Transwarp 10.0 Victory Achieved on 26-July-2012, Six Months After F2P =/\=
  • sonoframonsonoframon Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    brackynews wrote: »
    Hah, well I will admit I have an open ticket from last year about a mission glitch and I'm absolutely amazed at how frustrated my language was at the time. And the GM response was perfectly civil. I haven't followed up yet. It really doesn't matter.

Then I had to write a new ticket, in a much more civil tone, and while I am sceptical that the GM response is truly accurate in my case, I can see that it is a viable possibility from their standpoint. And unfortunately I have absolutely no way to prove otherwise, because individual C-Store transactions don't create a paper trail. :P Convenient! Nobody seems to be bothered by that, either.

Nah, I don't think I could be a video game developer. I know how awful and entitled us customers are. ;)

And how am I using this downtime? Working on my uber-thread for cataloguing every UI glitch in the game until they get fixed. :eek:

Well, I'm not a developer or any of the sort, I'm just a graphical designer by trade and music producer at night... this is my escape from my escapes. And the only hardware I have is this Dell Inspiron with Intel Graphics. And I was able to play well up until S6 came out. Never been able to do STF's at all. Luckily for me my KDF character is pulling all the dil farming (only bcus of all the dailies)... I remember sending in 5 tickets in one STF. I'm sure there's a few hard drives filled with all the crash dumps and DxDiag logs from my machine. I just hope that this issue gets fixed, bcus not being able to grind mindlessly for MACO/Omega/HG stuff is really getting to me. And if they can't fix it, then I wouldn't mind getting idk, a new gaming rig. Nothing expensive, just good enough to play.

So How many Cryptic Devs does it take to TRIBBLE in a lightbulb? :D

I kid, I kid.
    WELL IF THE JAPORI INCIDENT HAS TAUGHT ME ANYTHING, IT'S THAT MY EXISTENCE IS AN EXPLOIT. THANKS CRYPTIC.

IF YOU ARE READING MY SIG - THEN YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG
  • awolfe59awolfe59 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Now patching...
  • voldaunitvoldaunit Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    sonoframon wrote: »
    I'm good with deating dead horses... the smell and the sights. All set with that. Beat a pinata, now that's wholesome fun for the family :)

Umm yeah, Considering for example, the tribble fleet project. Where do they find these focus groups at??? Who tells the devs:
    BIG WIG AT PWE: "Hey, our *core demographic* (certainly not us) wants to have their fleet starbases spruced up, any ideas?"
    Dev: We could add a Fleet Sovereign to starbases. That would bring in much needed revenue.
    Dev2: We could always go back and get some of these long-standing bugs fixed
    Dev3: PvP, revamp PvP!!!

BIG WIG (after interrupting the Devs): I know what! We can have Targs walking inside KDF bases, and for Fed bases, we can do... TRIBBLES!!! More than even Cyrano Jones has ever seen!

*devs shake their heads in disgust as they now have to implement this idea or get fired*

BIG WIG: And I want this out in 3 days. Starting yesterday.

Probably a true story. If they haven't listened to us so far,I highly doubt that they'll miraculously start to listen.

p.s.: these are solely the opinions of "sonoframon" and may not be used negatively against him, as this is clearly satirical in nature.

Interesting but true story. I study MMOs professional (not this one, which I play) and we get a LOT of data on what customers say they want, along with what makes them spend money and be satisfied with the game (not the same thing by a mile). Some of the research instruments can be very sophisticated and can tell you very clearly what the average customer body wants, sometimes with an scary precision - it is the same market research stuff that is so effective in other areas of industry.

Well, I went into a fairly large MMO / game design shop, and was sitting down with a group listening to them describe the creative process when i noticed a neat sign above the lead's desk. It said "Never Listen to the Customers, they are Always Wrong." I laughed and said, "I bet you wish you could get away from corporate research and just do what you want.

The reply was, "what corporate research?"

Turns out with all of the modern tools to figure out what customers want (and this is not again what they say in chat forums), with games that play with multi-million dollar development budgets and hundred million dollar profit streams sitting on IP worth billions over its life, nearly every major game company employes customer feedback research tools about as sophisticated as Ford Motor Company used in 1920, about like predicting the winner of a baseball game based on how nice they look in uniform.
  • sigil93sigil93 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I was peeved when it went down too [very peeved] but if it was discovered somone was hacking our accounts and stealing our stuff then maybe shutting it down was the priority rather than warning the hackers that cryptic was on to them.

:cool:
  • dimitri5000dimitri5000 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    What the hell is offline this game:mad:
    OMG NO WARNING NICE! be paid but dont write in chat wow!!!!:mad:
    thx for nothing STO Team i hate you:mad:
  • betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited August 2012

i believe these are planted in a field by the Hirogens to lure passing ships to the planet's surface so that they can spring their traps on them, but this is only a wild guess, there is very little info on this subject and our ship records are slightly out of date at the moment
    lol
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • logang19logang19 Member Posts: 13,843 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    torks me off ive had a day that went streight to hell get off work finally and come home to play and the server is down
    " Now the gate has been unlatched headstones pushed aside; corpses shift and offer room ,a fate you must abide."
    edited August 2012
    voldaunit wrote: »
    Interesting but true story. I study MMOs professional (not this one, which I play) and we get a LOT of data on what customers say they want, along with what makes them spend money and be satisfied with the game (not the same thing by a mile). Some of the research instruments can be very sophisticated and can tell you very clearly what the average customer body wants, sometimes with an scary precision - it is the same market research stuff that is so effective in other areas of industry.

Well, I went into a fairly large MMO / game design shop, and was sitting down with a group listening to them describe the creative process when i noticed a neat sign above the lead's desk. It said "Never Listen to the Customers, they are Always Wrong." I laughed and said, "I bet you wish you could get away from corporate research and just do what you want.

The reply was, "what corporate research?"

Turns out with all of the modern tools to figure out what customers want (and this is not again what they say in chat forums), with games that play with multi-million dollar development budgets and hundred million dollar profit streams sitting on IP worth billions over its life, nearly every major game company employes customer feedback research tools about as sophisticated as Ford Motor Company used in 1920, about like predicting the winner of a baseball game based on how nice they look in uniform.

You sir.... are a genius and should be paid a lot of money to tell corporate big wigs how its done :D.
  • admiralthorr360admiralthorr360 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I love it when people whine about other people whining but the truth is the whiner who's whining about people whining is truly the one whining. Simply because the "whiners" are really just concerned customers who do indeed like the game being up all the time but also so they don't go half way through an elite stf and waste some of the most important 15 minutes of their lives. Let's face it when .... expecting the politeness of proper warning is whining to an anti-whiner.... that "anti-whiner" is simply attached to the left side of Cryptic/PWE's...... well you know what? Peanut butter cup.

Yes that's right..... the whining isn't where you think it is. It's an infection.... it's brainwashtastic. It's... let's forget about this and go support.... cryptic / pwe for slighting us this way! They TRULY deserve our livelihoods.... our RENT MONEY..... and such.... Lockbox's kinda like peas in a pod; only 1 pea in one pod and ya just nevva know whatchuuu gunna get in a box o chocolattes right!? Well .... everyone knows it's a few hundred lock-boxes... a couple hundred bucks before you must convince yourself... you had lots of fun opening a door to Narnia.

I mean like come on guys.... we totally have to realize that like in a Gameshow... there could be a car or a tholian ship behind that door.... or there might not be. Either way you have the choice of investing $1.25 (much like the slot machine) that can turn (much like fish multiplied) into $200... to get a ship worth $30 or being the dude with a ship that looks like everyone elses.

So lets go spend more money on lock boxes! Cuz... that's the ONLY way to treat Cryptic for giving us our lives back for these 2 hours. Anyone managed to go to the bathroom lately/ Amazing feelings right? Right guys? LOL.
  • fcdeltafcdelta Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    What the hell is offline this game:mad:
    OMG NO WARNING NICE!!!!!:mad:
    thx for nothing STO i hate you:mad:

So much butthurt.
  • logang19logang19 Member Posts: 13,843 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I love it when people whine about other people whining but the truth is the whiner who's whining about people whining is truly the one whining. Simply because the "whiners" are really just concerned customers who do indeed like the game being up all the time but also so they don't go half way through an elite stf and waste some of the most important 15 minutes of their lives. Let's face it when .... expecting the politeness of proper warning is whining to an anti-whiner.... that "anti-whiner" is simply attached to the left side of Cryptic/PWE's...... well you know what? Peanut butter cup.

Yes that's right..... the whining isn't where you think it is. It's an infection.... it's brainwashtastic. It's... let's forget about this and go support.... cryptic / pwe for slighting us this way! They TRULY deserve our livelihoods.... our RENT MONEY..... and such.... Lockbox's kinda like peas in a pod; only 1 pea in one pod and ya just nevva know whatchuuu gunna get in a box o chocolattes right!? Well .... everyone knows it's a few hundred lock-boxes... a couple hundred bucks before you must convince yourself... you had lots of fun opening a door to Narnia.

I mean like come on guys.... we totally have to realize that like in a Gameshow... there could be a car or a tholian ship behind that door.... or there might not be. Either way you have the choice of investing $1.25 (much like the slot machine) that can turn (much like fish multiplied) into $200... to get a ship worth $30 or being the dude with a ship that looks like everyone elses.

So lets go spend more money on lock boxes! Cuz... that's the ONLY way to treat Cryptic for giving us our lives back for these 2 hours. Anyone managed to go to the bathroom lately/ Amazing feelings right? Right guys? LOL.

made my night that is funny
    " Now the gate has been unlatched headstones pushed aside; corpses shift and offer room ,a fate you must abide."
  • xacrusxacrus Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Instead of releasing a new update just after an update was released the previous day (which is just... awful, so just stop it!) can't there be just like a release day, you know... no new updates till monday.
    And all new updates must have at least 10 fixes/new features.

Any way, just woke up, coffee time >=D
    [SIGPIC]xAcrus@_xAcrus_[/SIGPIC]
  • malan29malan29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    betayuya wrote: »
    i believe these are planted in a field by the Hirogens to lure passing ships to the planet's surface so that they can spring their traps on them, but this is only a wild guess, there is very little info on this subject and our ship records are slightly out of date at the moment
    lol

LoL now that's funny stuff.
  • pupibirdpupibird Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The "old world" was still sleeping when you decided to announce a scheduled maintenance - 8 h ago it was not scheduled - so pls call it emergency maintenance and also pls info on the launcher. :confused:
  • arkyboyarkyboy Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Fail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [img][/img]Screenshot%2067_zps8ijfhubt.png
  • admiralthorr360admiralthorr360 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    logang19 wrote: »
    made my night that is funny

Glad you enjoyed :)
This discussion has been closed.