test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Does anyone else think the entire UI is a sloppy mess?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
It seems with each update that adds new features they just stuff more TRIBBLE into the already cramped UI, it's so messy and disorganized I can't believe it. It really needs to be overhauled. The game feels like some ametuer project or something with the UI in such a state.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Nope. No problems from my end.
  • aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    If they would allow us to customize the UI similar to how EQ/EQ2 did, it would solve alot of issues.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I think it's fine for the most part, though I would like to be able to move stuff/resize/etc stuff.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    you can move and rearrange stuff using the rearrange hud option. also some windows are resizable. seems pretty customisable to me. yes some dialogs are not as intuitive as they could be but they are obviously limited by the technology they designed back at the beginning.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The UI is terrible, though it has some nice features, like being able to re-arrange elements, but even that might require some trial and error because the mover boxes are not an accurate show of the actual visual area/size of the element.

The ground tray won't stay at 3 bars, its constantly collapsing down to 1 bar.

There are constantly used tools on the mini-map, most of which are too small, or hidden in a sub-menu, I wish they would take some off the mini-map and make a LCARS like menu bar across the top of the power tray to make it easier to hit inventory, PvP and PvE queues, and DOFFs. This would open some space on the Mini-Map for items currently hidden on the sub-menu.

All inventory items need to be dragged and dropped into the bank, or vice versa, instead of just clicking and auto-stacking.

You need to be able to set a default weapon, the UI for some reason doesn't like to recall which weapon was the last one you used and stay on it.

Certain CDs that should be real time, like transwarp and tribble buffs, only tick down when are online or in ground mode or space mode. Its annoying to not play for several days and come online and not be able to transwarp, or my Dilithium tribble CD timer takes weeks to count down one hour because I play a lot more space then ground.

The system doesn't remember BOFF seats per ship makes it more work then needed to switch between ships, maybe they will fully address this when they allow us to set a default shuttle.

Those are just the things on top of my head.
  • boolyboolyboolybooly Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I find the UI extremely frustrating, especially in the middle of ground battles where the UI has a habit of getting in the way of what you want to do and that comes on top of inconsistent interactions between terrain, avatar and weapons which is before you even get to grips with the borg.

eg I have to continually press the B key then use my mouse to click the need greed pass items then press B again to carry on fighting... and I better make sure I don't have any other windows open when the borg arrive or it all goes to pot.

IMHO the engine does not seem suited to the kind of gameplay it is trying to present.
  • tebsutebsu Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    just searched for quite some minutes on exchange, found THAT item, pressed U to see what i have equipped currently -> exchange windows closed.

that was fun. not.
    What ? Calaway.
  • boolyboolyboolybooly Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    How often do you press enter and start chat typing only to find you are typing hotkeys?

Happens to me all the time and despite taking great pains to hit enter but it doesnt register because some other event has interrupted and blocked a perfectly good keyboard input.

UI really is a disaster imho.
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    boolybooly wrote: »
    How often do you press enter and start chat typing only to find you are typing hotkeys?

This. That even happens to me after I;ve clicked in the chat or exchange field. Loses focus quite often.

Copy and paste is a TRIBBLE shoot as well.
  • beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    boolybooly wrote: »

Ah, putting my character into autorun and then opening umpteen windows (doffs,inventory,etc).
    Both the UI, and the engine behind it needs a total redesign. The UI/HUD is bound to your CPU meaning when u have a 'slow' CPU, your fps will drop even with the fastest videocard around. Go to SOL system with 40/50 players, press the button that disables the UI/HUD and see the awesome FPS increase! (And a drop in CPU usage)

Its time the UI gets GPU accelerated.
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I either click my chat bar or press enter and start typing, only to have my game lag for two minutes trying to process all the hotkeys I hit.

If I type "I am using an Odyssey" in my game when the chatbox wasn't active like I thought it was, I would have (let's say I'm in space):

Opened my inventory
    turned my ship a small bit to the left
    opened the map
    opened my status
    turned my ship up a little
    closed my inventory
    opened my duty officer window
    turned my ship a little more to the left
    opened my social window
    turned my ship a little to the right
    opened the dilithium exchange
    turned my ship a little up
    increased my ship throttle to one quarter
    closed the dilithium exchange

And it would lag for a while, depending on how fast my computer was running that day.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.