Options

Expanding Account Guard

Comments

• Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    http://crypticstudios.com/accountguard
    Q: Can I opt out of Account Guard?

A: Yes. When you're logged into the Billing Portal, click "Main Menu" to navigate to the main menu, then click "Manage Account Guard". From there you can Disable or Re-Enable account guard, or delete individual Saved Clients and Saved Browsers so they won't be remembered.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hi there Woghd, I ran into this once on tribble, I don't know if I will get it again or not. Since at the moment I cannot log in either.

I don't have an issue with security and online games. Some of these companies treat them like bank accounts. Sure I have real money vested in the game but it is not like this is my bread and butter.

IF I got TRIBBLE chances are it is my own dumb fault. I did get TRIBBLE once and only once on WoW and I fully admit to it being "my own dumb fault". I used the same email address, password, and user name to sign into a forum (not officially part of Blizzard) and they used it to hack into my WoW account many years ago. I managed to get my account back but not before they sold some stuff. Advice tip #1: Never use the same info for forums unless you are forced by the company.

The problem I see with this PWE security is exactly what you said, "some sort of phishing attempt". Since this forum links our emails, account name, passwords etc.. It wouldn't be hard for a hacker to get started :(

I don't want to go into details and start writing a hackers guide but this "account guard TRIBBLE" is the hackers wet dream. Advice tip #2: Never TRUST anything sent to you by email.

When I got this alert last month I had my hubby look at it. He get pretty irate if we even get a game TRIBBLE. Part of his job is system security, so it looks pretty bad if his family is being TRIBBLE. ;)

He said that the program is designed to read your current computer ID and unless you play on multiple computers you should not get the message again. However this may raise the red flag for say a college student who plays on multiple PC's, office workers who play at home and in the office, and people who have more than one PC at home. I have 3 myself, 2 laptops and a desktop. My husband has 8 more in his LAN room. My sons have desktops each... So this could be an issue to certain group of people.

I am not saying that anyone has the "perfect security system" but I believe IP address would work much better. But the office/home player would still get issues.
    NFA-banner.png
  • Options
    beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Depending on which version of the account page you end up at, the "Create/Manage Subscriptions" doesn't show up.

Workaround is to log in, then use this link:

https://my.perfectworld.com/account/sto
    edited July 2012
    It really isn't that inconvenient if you only use one computer to game on. (which.. why would you bother downloading and playing the game on your friend computer just for the weekend?)

It appears it does it by logging your IP adress, a lot of peoples IP adresses change when they disconnect and reconnect from the net, (say becuase of a power failure that turns off their router for a bit or a phone line hiccup).
  • Options
    admiralkristovadmiralkristov Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    carl103 wrote: »
    It appears it does it by logging your IP adress, a lot of peoples IP adresses change when they disconnect and reconnect from the net, (say becuase of a power failure that turns off their router for a bit or a phone line hiccup).

Also from the FAQ:
    Q: I use a wide range of IPs through my ISP, and change it frequently. Sounds like I am easily going to be hitting the max IPs allowed - will I need to opt-out of Account Guard?
    A: Users with changing IPs on a single computer will not need to opt out of Account Guard. Account Guard performs its security checks against your computer or your web browser, not the originating IP. Your last originating IP, however, will be visible to you under the "Manage Account Guard" on the Cryptic Billing Portal.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    woghd wrote: »
    I am at https://billing.perfectworld.com/

and I see nothing about Account Guard.

You have to click on Click "Create/Manage Subscriptions"

However it doesn't work right now because they're doing maintenance, try again in an hour.
    edited July 2012
    carl103 wrote: »

It does it by browser "cookies."

I turned Account Guard off because, while my IP is relatively static, I clean out my browser once a week.
    edited July 2012
    I don't have an issue with security and online games. Some of these companies treat them like bank accounts. Sure I have real money vested in the game but it is not like this is my bread and butter.

I do have issues with too much. The program won't even remember my password. I play dozens of online games on both client and web and this can remember my user ID but not my password. Hint: PWE stop making it harder to login. :mad:

It looks like the system is down for another 40 minutes but as soon as it is up BYE BYE Account Guard!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    beezle23 wrote: »
    You have to click on Click "Create/Manage Subscriptions"

However it doesn't work right now because they're doing maintenance, try again in an hour.

As an addendum:

"Create/Manage" subscriptions doesn't show up consistently, try logging in, then this link:

edited July 2012
    its funny how in account i maded long time ago aswell dont need code while in other i play i need?and i dont know password of that email..oh well,guess its goodbye or something.lol
  • Options
    mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    As an addendum:

"Create/Manage" subscriptions doesn't show up consistently, try logging in, then this link:

Unfortently that brings you to a "We've sent you an email" Copy the code.

Doesn't help those who can;t get access to the email accounts.

Ignoring the issue of them not keeping up on their email addresses of course....
  • Options
    bds007bds007 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Go here: https://secure.crypticstudios.com/startrek/menu

Once you login, there is an option to "Manage Account Guard"

If you can't get the email.. you need to open a support ticket.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Unfortently that brings you to a "We've sent you an email" Copy the code.

Doesn't help those who can;t get access to the email accounts.

Ignoring the issue of them not keeping up on their email addresses of course....

Plus, it's a bit silly anyways, the link bds007 posted is more direct.

I use a combination of a spreadsheet and 1Password to keep track of mine. I tend to accumulate the stupid things like wire coathangers.
    edited July 2012
    Depending on which version of the account page you end up at, the "Create/Manage Subscriptions" doesn't show up.

Workaround is to log in, then use this link:

This is the direct link:

https://secure.crypticstudios.com/startrek/account_guard/list

Not sure if it;ll work if you're not logged in. Not in a position to verify that.

edit: Nice to see the last IP address listed. Be nicer if it was the last 10 though. All the times I get logged off thanks to the crappy wandering wifi, the system may see me log in more than once.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Plus, it's a bit silly anyways, the link bds007 posted is more direct.

I use a combination of a spreadsheet and 1Password to keep track of mine. I tend to accumulate the stupid things like wire coathangers.

Ew I have to admit that I rotate between three personal passwords. I drop one on occasion and replace it though. Currently doing that now actually.

The server root passwords are all random and rotated though. The company we contract out our tech support won;t have it any other way.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Ew I have to admit that I rotate between three personal passwords. I drop one on occasion and replace it though. Currently doing that now actually.

The server root passwords are all random and rotated though. The company we contract
    out our tech support won;t have it any other way.

Before I started using 1Password all of my passwords were the same except the last two letters, which varied by what it was for.

Except my Windows login and the Router login.
    edited July 2012
    Why am I surprised Cryptic pulls off a shady trick such as this?

Spyware disguised as "account security", it's the WoW Warden all over again.
    So, Spytic, how do I uninstall this ****? Not "disable the game-related portion", uninstall this **** that gives you access to data you're not meant to access.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Spyware disguised as "account security", it's the WoW Warden all over again.

Would love to know how confirming an email code and getting a cookie is considered spyware.

Warden scanned your computer. Are you seeing that here?
  • Options
    quiscustodietquiscustodiet Member Posts: 350
    edited July 2012
    I'm not seeing anything here, they don't reveal how it works. Who knows what it scans or sends back?
    All I know is, I don't need it, don't want it and should be able to remove it.

Hell, it should've been an optional download, not a mandatory patch.
  • Options
    kobayashlmarukobayashlmaru Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Would love to know how confirming an email code and getting a cookie is considered spyware.

Warden scanned your computer. Are you seeing that here?

The application is storing device information so it can where you are accessing the game. And I certainly hope they are not relying on client-side verification like a cookie to determine this information. That would make this incredibly unsecure.
    Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    The application is storing device information so it can where you are accessing the game. And I certainly hope they are not relying on client-side verification like a cookie to determine this information. That would make this incredibly unsecure.

I believe it is using cookies -- the launcher adds a cookie to IE....
    edited July 2012
    Day two no access. Going a little crazy. House is clean, and since I had nothing better to do I waxed the floor too... It's all shiny now, but I'm not sure the carpet liked it too well...
    You dont need a reason to help people...
  • Options
    fleetsolvanguardfleetsolvanguard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    We are expanding our new security feature this Thursday to the Star Trek Online and Champions Online game servers. Read more to learn how this new feature helps to improve the security of your account.

Click here to read more.

Thank you for this FREE tool, it will help keep my account safe. Can't wait for it on holodeck.
  • Options
    shadowpheonix787shadowpheonix787 Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Why is it that only Cryptic users can disable the account guard, and PWE users cant? There is no "Settings" tab in My Account, or "Main Menu" button in the billing section for us. I'm starting to think this was done just to weed out PWE f2p players.
    You dont need a reason to help people...
  • Options
    ychildychild Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    What idiot created this application? It doesn't take in the possibly of the player moving or on vacation away from the main computer, and you have to use two of these account guard for the web site and the launcher, so you really only have 4 other moves. Cryptic and Perfect World, this is a very bad idea. You need to come up with another way to allow to guard an account. Maybe ask a bank with online banking on how they guard account information, and use that a model because there's none of these have a limited times in using the web site.
  • Options
    ellif1ellif1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Not overly impressed with this. It's a reasonable idea, fairly unobtrusive and I can opt out. That's the good points

The bad point is it seems my son, to impatient to wait for the code to arrive in his email inbox pressed cancel. It returned him to the login screen and this time he wasn't asked for a code so was effectively able to bypass this "account guard".

I've just tried this myself. Got asked for the code. Hit cancel and was returned to the login screen with a message to contact support.

Tried to login again and this time I wasn't asked for a code, so was able to effectively bypass the account guard as well
  • Options
    woghdwoghd Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    bds007 wrote: »
    go Here: https://secure.crypticstudios.com/startrek/menu

Once You Login, There Is An Option To "manage Account Guard"

If You Can't Get The Email.. You Need To Open A Support Ticket.

Thank You!!
    [SIGPIC]HTTP://RABIDPANDARANCH.COM/images/grazcity.png[/SIGPIC]

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: CHANGE THE FORUMS BACK !!!
  • Options
    kobayashlmarukobayashlmaru Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    the main problem with this system is it gives people a false sense of security. Make no mistake about it, this system does not secure your account our your personal information in any way. In fact, it will make it harder for you to get your account back if it is compromised.
    Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ychild wrote: »
    Maybe ask a bank with online banking on how they guard account information, and use that a model because there's none of these have a limited times in using the web site.

The bank accounts I handle were sent Authenticators, and we (my company) was charged $50 each. No thanks.
  • Options
    wulfman2ndwulfman2nd Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    yet another anoying change ...

Can you please stop messing with my account and settings.