test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Expanding Account Guard

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited November 2012 in Galactic News Network [PC]
We are expanding our new security feature this Thursday to the Star Trek Online and Champions Online game servers. Read more to learn how this new feature helps to improve the security of your account.

Click here to read more.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• Options
    drachenhaut#3266 drachenhaut Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    account guard is almost as annoying as having to log completely out to change characters, but hey its not like cryptic actual listens to the players when it comes to stupid ideas.
  • Options
    sierrafortunesierrafortune Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    From the FAQ linked in the news article, I think a lot of you might want to pay attention to this part.

Q: Can I opt out of Account Guard?

A: Yes. When you're logged into the Billing Portal, click "Main Menu" to navigate to the main menu, then click "Manage Account Guard". From there you can Disable or Re-Enable account guard, or delete individual Saved Clients and Saved Browsers so they won't be remembered.
  • Options
    meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I don't mind the Account Guard feature (seems to function like Steam). What I do mind, is having to relog everytime I want to switch character, and the fact that it doesn't have my Perfect World login credentials (keeps resetting to Cryptic).
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    attizzattizz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Oh nooo, I will change my location 4 times in the next month. Not nice!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"What are his rights in this century? Will there be a trial or shall I execute him?" - Worf
  • Options
    darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    attizz wrote: »

You will be using 4 different computers?
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • Options
    attizzattizz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    At least 2 and a laptop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"What are his rights in this century? Will there be a trial or shall I execute him?" - Worf
  • Options
    beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Then turn it off.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=4564381&postcount=3
    edited July 2012
    At least 2 and a laptop.

It logs up to 10 different computers at a time (not IP addresses). Shouldn't be an issue.
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If you retain your cookies, and you use the same browser, it won't ask you for another code when you log in again.

So it's just a browser cookie then? How can we identify them so we can see what they're doing? Will they have a name or just a string of characters?
    <3
  • Options
    mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    account guard is almost as annoying as having to log completely out to change characters, but hey its not like cryptic actual listens to the players when it comes to stupid ideas.

Didn;t you have to do that anyway with the current system? I know I go back to the login screen when I change characters currently.
  • Options
    roacquisitionroacquisition Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    When you will come up with *real* security features, like a one time token (WoW calls it Battle.net Authenticator, RSA calls it SecurID). Account Guard is a sham... Ok, better than nothing, but still not really a "security feature".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Join date: Jan 2010 - Original Forum Name: Rules.Of.Acquisition
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    When you will come up with *real* security features, like a one time token (WoW calls it Battle.net Authenticator, RSA calls it SecurID). Account Guard is a sham... Ok, better than nothing, but still not really a "security feature".

RSA calls it "got TRIBBLE". http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/222522/rsa_warns_securid_customers_after_company_is_TRIBBLE.html

This is a good system. It's not perfect, but it'll get used by more of their customers than a keyfob would.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    brackynewsbrackynews Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Just to keep this momentum going.... YES for the love of V'ger, add a Switch Character button instead of just a Log Out. I only have THREE characters and it drives me insane. Now that there's a "Guard", it's time, c'mon.... :p
    twg042370 wrote: »
    How can we identify them so we can see what they're doing? Will they have a name or just a string of characters?

You name the access point. If you've ever used Dropbox it's exactly like that.

It's really no trouble other than waiting for the first e-mail. Almost the same experience as setting up Steam on a new machine.
    When you will come up with *real* security features, like a one time token (WoW calls it Battle.net Authenticator, RSA calls it SecurID).

Battle.net isn't a one time token. It lasts for a while on the same machine. TOR is a true one time token, and it lets you switch chars without logging out. ;)
    =/\= Transwarp 10.0 Victory Achieved on 26-July-2012, Six Months After F2P =/\=
  • Options
    tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    From the FAQ linked in the news article, I think a lot of you might want to pay attention to this part.
    beezle23 wrote: »

Pretty much the above. I did the log-in to my account, got the TRIBBLE e-mail, and then went in and turned it off! I'm sorry, I don't need or want Cryptic to know what computers I'm logging in on.

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • Options
    palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Very true they do not listen when it comes stupid ideas, and when they do listen to the good ones they strip all that was amazing about the idea......so we are stuck with a finished product that was a huge waste of time, because it was not done right the first time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    landerx74927landerx74927 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    So I logged in.. But no account guard.. What is it supposed to ask/look like?
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    So I logged in.. But no account guard.. What is it supposed to ask/look like?

If you just logged into the website, that's not gonna do it.
    After you've logged in, you need to click on 'My Account'. Once that page is up, click on 'Create/Manage Subscriptions'. That will give you another login prompt w/captha.

After you login, another login page, of sorts, will come up telling you to check your e-mail. The Account Guard code will be in a e-mail. Copy/paste or type the AG code where prompted to and finish the log in.

Once logged into your account info, click Main Menu. With the Main Menu options displayed, click on 'Manage Account Guard'. You can then manage or turn off Account Guard.

• Options
    landerx74927landerx74927 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Ahh.. It worked. Thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Mostly security theatre, much like the TSA.

If you can access the database, you can access the list of approved machines...
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • Options
    myopicaardymyopicaardy Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    tymersto wrote: »
    If you just logged into the website, that's not gonna do it.
    After you've logged in, you need to click on 'My Account'. Once that page is up, click on 'Create/Manage Subscriptions'. That will give you another login prompt w/captha.

After you login, another login page, of sorts, will come up telling you to check your e-mail. The Account Guard code will be in a e-mail. Copy/paste or type the AG code where prompted to and finish the log in.

Once logged into your account info, click Main Menu. With the Main Menu options displayed, click on 'Manage Account Guard'. You can then manage or turn off Account Guard.

Not finding this, either via game or website. In game, it tells me to "Halt Cadet! Area of website blah blah blah". Out of game, when I get to the PWE Billing page via My Account, I'm not getting any Manage Account Guard options.

Any ideas?
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,109 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    this would be good if PWE didnt change my registered email address.

short story shot.. the address I used for this is .com not .co.uk
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Not finding this, either via game or website. In game, it tells me to "Halt Cadet! Area of website blah blah blah". Out of game, when I get to the PWE Billing page via My Account, I'm not getting any Manage Account Guard options.

Any ideas?

The 'Create/Manage Subscriptions' link is under Subscriptions in the 'Billing' column (right side) of your 'My Account' page. Clicking that link should bring up the login w/captha page. From there, follow the rest of my comments.

The 'Main Menu' can be accessed from a link in the Upper right corner of the account window (Main Menu|Need Help|Log Out).

• Options
    artairartair Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I've noticed a few complaints and not a lot of actual threads about it I'm curious as to how one enables account guard? It sounds to me like it should be on by default, and for me browsing to the billing portal it is, the game lets me in with no contest though. I've tried turning account guard off and back on in the billing website and it didn't do anything to log into the game itself.

I'm just trying to get this rolling asap, because I know security features like this aren't the best type compared to say an authenticator dongle, but it means the potential account thief has to break through 2 passwords instead of one, and if you notice the email about the code come you can try to change your passwords fast if you're lucky.

This is just really concerning for me and I'd like to set it up since it's better than nothing because two days ago I got an email from Perfect World showing that someone tried to recover my game account name. I doubt they got it, my email and game passwords are different and not used anywhere else. This is concerning that I know someone is actively trying to get in though none the less and I'd like to get this setup ASAP, I've played Blacklight a little but my STO account is the one I'm really concerned about.
  • Options
    capnbluddcapnbludd Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I don't think it went live yet, only on redshirt and tribble, unless I missed something today and will find out when I get home soon...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dec/2008
  • Options
    artairartair Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It wasn't in patch notes but according to the news post the other day it was going live as of today
  • Options
    baelispissedoffbaelispissedoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It's a completely wasted security feature that doesn't work in the slightest. It sends a code to your email to let you login, guess what. A hacker isn't hacking the game he's most likely hacking your email and finding out your password through that. So you just gave him free access anyways. I've got this feature shut to off
  • Options
    adderdinadderdin Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I hope nothing happened to the email you were supposed to send to me, it did not arrive and I am starting to get worried. Did it have an accident?

Half an hour should be enough for an automated system to send few digits right?
  • Options
    rifleman80rifleman80 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    this so called new security feature, just erased my Tactical officer I worked so hard on for a year. Great going gentlemen, you just lost a player, unless u can help me...
  • Options
    borg7of10borg7of10 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Ya well They have Never been Punctual on responding to Tickets most of the time it seems
    that the Only thing they Ever Give somebody when they even Finally Respond to a Ticket that
    a player sends them are Nothing but Excuses and More Excuses! which is Why i would Never
    Fork out Any Cash to them for a Gold or a lifetime Subscription if their Customer Support is This
    Poor,it's Sad but so very True. :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pickobpickob Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    what a heck is going on ?? got no mail ,try to loggin, got the accont verification/ pass one time code , hey i dident got a mail in the first plase .....