Options

Expanding Account Guard

124»

Comments

• Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    dpglerch wrote: »
    I was hoping they would not add this feature.

So were the gold sellers.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    quiscustodietquiscustodiet Member Posts: 350
    edited July 2012
    dpglerch wrote: »
    I was hoping they would not add this feature.

So was everyone but the RMT, whose glee knows no bound now.
  • Options
    crimsonskies1999crimsonskies1999 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Why is it that only Cryptic users can disable the account guard, and PWE users cant? There is no "Settings" tab in My Account, or "Main Menu" button in the billing section for us. I'm starting to think this was done just to weed out PWE f2p players.

I actually agree what you are saying but there is a point the sto team missing: who buys items or instruments at the beginning of the game ? nobody except rookies!
    Many online players strategy is; understand the game and reach the available highest rank without paying!
    For experienced mmo players the goal is Being veteran and knowing what is going on in the game. Than pay for what you want, (ships, instruments, weapons) n be in the top 100 or 1000 list !
    with regards
  • Options
    gavriil1983gavriil1983 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It might be an inconvienience, but it is a far cry from a stupid idea. I actually like it as a good start in account security. Personally, I think there should be an expansion into things such as authenticators/ key code generators and apps to support them.
  • Options
    eskevareskevar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'll prefer to have choice to save my password and to have longer password limit, like my router: 64 chars isnt so easy to found...
  • Options
    xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
    edited July 2012
    The AG has been a huge annoyance lately... :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
    Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
  • Options
    maobemaobe Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Just started the STO-Client and it asks me for an One-Time Code, send to my mailadress. But nothing arrived yet... there is no spamfilter or something that would block mails, and other STO- and/or PWE-related mails do arrive....
    U.S.S. JUGGERNAUT - Command Science Cruiser
    "Where we are is the front."
  • Options
    xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
    edited July 2012
    I'm not sure what this is too haha. Has me worried that I'll F something up..not sure where any info on this thing is. :confused:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
    Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
  • Options
    maobemaobe Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Naaaa....... GREAT F....un! :-( guess its time to get rid of those 20 megs of harddiskspace the client occupies.
    U.S.S. JUGGERNAUT - Command Science Cruiser
    "Where we are is the front."
  • Options
    irobag520glirobag520gl Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Ok I didn't see a separate forum for the Account Guard feature, so hopefully this is the right place. Not sure mine is working right. As I understood it, if you use the same computer to play it was a one time thing to enter your code. Well my account now has 1 saved client and 4 saved browsers, all with the identical IP.

Am I missing something? As I say, I thought you entered it once and were done with it. Also, what's the deal with it saving the IP over and over when that never changes? If it's saved why do i need to keep entering it? Hopefully someone can explain how Account Guard works.
  • Options
    beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Ok I didn't see a separate forum for the Account Guard feature, so hopefully this is the right place. Not sure mine is working right. As I understood it, if you use the same computer to play it was a one time thing to enter your code. Well my account now has 1 saved client and 4 saved browsers, all with the identical IP.

Am I missing something? As I say, I thought you entered it once and were done with it. Also, what's the deal with it saving the IP over and over when that never changes? If it's saved why do i need to keep entering it? Hopefully someone can explain how Account Guard works.

You'll have to enter the code for the website at least once per browser, plus once for the launcher (which uses Internet Explorer).

Because it's a cookie-based system, anytime you clear cookies, you'll have to re-add your computer. Manual cookie clearing, setting the browser to delete them, or using something like CCleaner to manually or automatically clear your browsers will result in having to re-add your computer. This is how you end up with multiple entries for the same computer with the same IP.

I just turned Account Guard off. For the limited security it provides, it's not worth the hassle to me.
    edited July 2012
    I actually agree what you are saying but there is a point the sto team missing: who buys items or instruments at the beginning of the game ? nobody except rookies!
    Many online players strategy is; understand the game and reach the available highest rank without paying!
    For experienced mmo players the goal is Being veteran and knowing what is going on in the game. Than pay for what you want, (ships, instruments, weapons) n be in the top 100 or 1000 list !
    with regards

Completely agree.
    HAMMER SQUADRON
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If someone is changing ISPs or moving but using the same computer, does that require anything to be done with Account Guard?
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited July 2012
    If someone is changing ISPs or moving but using the same computer, does that require anything to be done with Account Guard?

This question from the FAQ, while not about ISPs in particular, should help answer your question :)
    Q: I use a wide range of IPs through my ISP, and change it frequently. Sounds like I am easily going to be hitting the max IPs allowed - will I need to opt-out of Account Guard?

A: Users with changing IPs on a single computer will not need to opt out of Account Guard. Account Guard performs its security checks against your computer or your web browser, not the originating IP. Your last originating IP, however, will be visible to you under the "Manage Account Guard" on the Cryptic Billing Portal.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    ozewaozewa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It won't show me the IP address and computer name of the computer that attempted to access my account last night. While I was sleeping.

Preferably I'd also like to know the ISP of the person connecting.
    President of the Amnian Illithid Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC). Please spread the word that the term "Mind Flayer" is a derogatory term to our kind.
  • Options
    srafaoraspsrafaorasp Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I don't think it will tell you. it will just block access from all that are not on the access list.
  • Options
    trexelcat#9733 trexelcat Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I think it's a legal matter about showing personal information. And IP addresses are considered personal information.

Unless the person who attempted to log in to your account has access to your registered e-mail address(which they can't even see on your account page unless they can get into your account) they will be repeatedly blocked from being able to log in and thus denied access to your account.

I just checked the e-mails I got about the account guard and my eye was drawn to the text:
    "If you did not attempt to access your account from this computer, we suggest you change your password immediately."

And from the confirmation e-mail after I authorized my computer to access STO:
    "If you did not authorize this computer on your account, we suggest you change your password immediately and contact Customer Support to ensure this location is de-authorized."

I would like to note that the Confirmation of authorization e-mail does in fact include the IP address and computer name of the computer that was authorized.
    "A new computer named ?<computer name>? has been authorized to your account on July 10th, 2012 at 2:20 PM EST from the following IP address: <IP address>"

So.. You could allow the potential account thief access to your account if you like and get their computer name and IP address if it's that important to you. Then change your password immediately after and contact customer support. But the likelyhood of you getting their IP address and computer name outright is about as likely as you getting my IP address from the forum IP address log. Mainly because there is the very slight chance that the person who tried to log into your account might be innocent and accidentally got your account by mistake. It can and does happen. Very, very rarely but it does. And then you would have access to potentially damaging information.

EDIT: I would also like to add that if you could get the IP address from the initial e-mail, then people with malicious intent could create a dummy account, then start posting that account's log in and password all over the internet to see who bites, then have access to their IP information. While you wouldn't bite, and I wouldn't bite, and several people with a brain wouldn't bite, there are an entire countries worth of people who would bite.
  • Options
    herbie1966herbie1966 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Even Buffy wouldn't touch this Zombie. :eek:
  • Options
    pingaheadpingahead Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    brackynews wrote: »
    Just to keep this momentum going.... YES for the love of V'ger, add a Switch Character button instead of just a Log Out. I only have THREE characters and it drives me insane. Now that there's a "Guard", it's time, c'mon....

Hey there, Capt Brainiac

Character Switch Function went Live when Season 7 dropped.

Maybe you should report to Sick Bay and have your Chief Medical Officer remove your head from your......
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2012
    pingahead wrote: »
    Hey there, Capt Brainiac

Character Switch Function went Live when Season 7 dropped.

Maybe you should report to Sick Bay and have your Chief Medical Officer remove your head from your......

Maybe you should check post dates and not revive old threads. :P
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    pingaheadpingahead Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Maybe you should check post dates and not revive old threads. :P

One of the Hazards of reading the Forums on a Blackberry....

I'll be heading down to sick bay now. See if Doc can do something about this foot in my mouth......
  • Options
    dma1986dma1986 Member Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    herbie1966 wrote: »
    Even Buffy wouldn't touch this Zombie. :eek:

Well, no. If it was a vampire however... :P