test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Just WHERE is the Gamma Orionis sector?

cusashorncusashorn Member Posts: 461
This has been bugging me since the game first launched. On the sector map, all the territories are differently colored to suggest which major galactic faction owns that territory. Blue for Federation, Red for Klingon, Green for Romulan, Brown for Cardassians.

And yet there's the Gamma Orionis block, which is controlled by the Borg.

Now, it has always been my assumption that this sector was in the Delta Quadrant, right in the middle of Borg Space. The reason being that you need to use a transwarp gate just to get there. This would make sense, because you can easily travel everywhere else in the Alpha and Beta Quadrants without any advanced means of transportation with your ship.

Upon closer examination, it does indeed look like that sector is part of the Alpha Quadrant though, which begs me to ask why we have to travel there by a TW gate. I mean, we could just as easily access it from Eta Eridani, yet we need a TW gate to travel there. If we can't even fly there on our own accord, then why aren't TW Gates being used to connect everywhere else in the two quadrants? Why not set one up in Alpha Centauri and Zeta Andromeda for ease of travel? Both Starfleet and the KDF have the technology to invent their own gate network that the Borg couldn't tap into... I mean, that's what's happening with the two that exist now.

(BTW: On the subject of flying from Eta Eridani: No matter how you try to justify it, if Deferi space really is where it is, then you have to fly through 3 separate blocks to reach there from Eta. It's on the far side of Federation territory, natch.)

But then there is one glaringly obvious issue with the Delta Quadrant theory. WHY IS THE INFAMOUS MUTARA NEBULA IN BORG-CONTROLLED SPACE!? The very nebula where Kirk fought against Khan in Star Trek 2.

I could understand if it was a Mutara-class nebula, which have been pointed out on a few occasions in the series, but not THE Mutara Nebula.

I can understand that a lot has changed in the last 30 years since the end of Voyager. I can see the Borg making an aggressive advance just to make a foothold in the Alpha Quadrant, and it seems that is just what they did.

And then there's the other obvious issue: How is it that the Undine have portals leading to Fluidic Space over here in the Alpha Quadrant? Unless Fluidic Space is exceptionally smaller than our space, and distance is measured in a hyperbolic comparison (One mile over there equals one lightyear here or something), then it would still take them far longer than 30 years just to make it to the Alpha Quadrant. This is what also leads me to believe that Gamma Orionis is in the Delta Quadrant: Because the Pelia Sector is connected not too far from the Borg's home turf.

TL;DR: Is the Gamma Orionis block in the Alpha or Delta Quadrant?
"My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
-The Milkshake Song: Vulcan Edition
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by cusashorn on

Comments

• suricattasuricatta Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    It's south of Federation space on the map (Alpha quadrant), the borg used transwarp conduits to get there. It's just the ingame map (and the fact people are used to the Borg been in the Delta quadrant) that confuses things.

I'd argue the Mutara nebula should not be there either, not because of the location (because it is the right location), but because in ST:II, didn't it get obliterated by the Genesis effect when the Reliant exploded?

It would be nice if the sector block got linked to the game map instead of having to use transwarp conduits in the future though, just like we are misssing sectors between Sirius sector block and Cardassian space.
  • backyardserenadebackyardserenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The STO map is based on the book Star Trek Star Charts. There was only one map that showed the location of the Mutara Nebula.

One of the few scans I could find: here

So the Mutara Nebula is deep within the Beta Quadrant. It's not even really connected to the space that is currently visitable in-game. It's location on the game map is also confusing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
  • galactrixgalactrix Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    It's deep in the Beta Quadrant which is off the current area of the STO map, which is why it's drawn off in a separate area and why the Federation built a transwarp gate to get there fast.

Why do they need to get there fast? Because it's a war front. The Borg travelled there from the Delta Quadrant and are using it as a beachhead, their launch point for the invasion of the Alpha/Beta quadrants. So that's why they are there and have assimilated part of it.

The Mutara Nebula is there because that's where Star Trek 2 was set. Part of the nebula gets turned into the Genesis planet (which also exploded by the end of Star Trek 3 because it was unstable). Why is the nebula still there now? Because a nebula is huge; several light years across. No way could the whole thing have been consumed by Genesis.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Syndicate Extraction by Galactrix - Trailer: youtu.be/8SL7AXuUMec
  • carl103carl103 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Sigh. Full impulse in the show is, (depending on the source), 0.25 or 0.5C. Warp 1 is 1C, it goes up logorithmiclly from there. The enterprise had to warp out and the genesis exploshion ws still large despite even a low warp hop putting them a VERY long way away, (and clearly outside the nebulae). There's no reason to belive it didn't consume the whole nebulae in fact. Though it does have some mass/energy issues as even a very small nebulae is going to be vastly more massive than a planet.

@OP: There's actually federation transwarp hubs everywhere, thats probably what we use when we switch sectors as the current sectors shown simply don't represent enough volume for the entire federation. Let along them plus romulans, plus klingons, plus everybody else. It's actually outlined in one of the federations romulan arc missions. It just isn't shouted about much.
  • eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    it's like when you see a map of scotland, quite often they put the orkney (north of the top most corner) and shetland isles (which should be way way north of orkney) in a box in the moray firth (above the north east corner). Its a cartographer trick to fit things on a map.

how it's often shown to save space
    how it really is
  • zackarysszackaryss Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Thanks for taking time and posting this... it is a nice viewpoint you have on this
    perhaps there are areas of space federation/kdf ships cannot go thru (aggressors etc.) so they must use tw
    @ZackerySS - Joined on Aug 2008: year of the greenpig
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The Genesis Planet - in Star Trek III - would have to be just close enough for Lord Kruge in his cloaked Bird of Prey to have crossed the Federation border for his infamous visit. So Beta Quadrant makes sense. The bulk of the Nebula became the matter used to create the planet. As the original novelization explains it, the Genesis wave broke down and reversed the process. Thus the planet broke back down and the Mutara Nebula was restored. So Beta Quadrant makes sense.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    suricatta wrote: »
    I'd argue the Mutara nebula should not be there either, not because of the location (because it is the right location), but because in ST:II, didn't it get obliterated by the Genesis effect when the Reliant exploded?

Also in response to OP, it can certainly be THE Mutara Nebula, or more accuratly the remnants of the nebula. Nebulae can be huge meaning multiple light years across. Nebulae and dust clouds can be stellar nurseries to dozens or up to hundreds of proto star systems. A Genersis device consuming enough matter for a star and a few planets would be nothing to a typical star nursery nebula.
  • cusashorncusashorn Member Posts: 461
    edited June 2012
    lordfuzun wrote: »
    Also in response to OP, it can certainly be THE Mutara Nebula, or more accuratly the remnants of the nebula. Nebulae can be huge meaning multiple light years across. Nebulae and dust clouds can be stellar nurseries to dozens or up to hundreds of proto star systems. A Genersis device consuming enough matter for a star and a few planets would be nothing to a typical star nursery nebula.

It's more the point that the famous Mutara Nebula just now happens to be in Borg-controlled space that gets me. Like I said, there have been Mutara-class nebulae pointed out in various episodes (Voyager: "One" and "Counterpoint" for example,) and I could find that easier to believe. It's just hard to wrap my head around the idea that something so famous among Star Trek fans like this would be taken over like that.
    "My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    As I understood it, with both the Federation and the Klingons having become so well distracted, the Borg managed to establish themselves within reach of both the Mutara Nebula and Cestus system. What might explain a lot of things is if Vega Colony - from the tutorial - was also established in Gamma Orionis sector block. But I don't think the game tells where, exactly, Vega Colony is on the maps.

In STO, it's suggested that the Transwarp Conduits are becoming more common place for shortened travel within established territories closer to home. The Gamma Orionis conduit is the only permanent one on the maps.
    I wonder if its really not the Borg presence in Beta Quadrant as much as the Transwarp Conduit that is confusing folks? A conduit doesn't necessarily have to exist to only shorten travel between galaxy quadrants (Alpha to Delta, for example).
  • backyardserenadebackyardserenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The Mutara Nebula might be famous among Trek fans, but for all we know its a very remote location with little to now value to the Federation. They put one of their top secret research projects in the vicinity of the nebula, after all, so it was off everyone's radar.

I have no problem with the Nebula being taken over by the Borg. After all there is an invasion going on and the location is far off from the Federation core. (Nevermind that there are Borg sitting in Kerrat).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The Mutara Nebula might be famous among Trek fans, but for all we know its a very remote location with little to now value to the Federation. They put one of their top secret research projects in the vicinity of the nebula, after all, so it was off everyone's radar.

Little value to the Federation? Are you forgetting about the MIDAS Array? And there is a good possibility the Regula Station is still being used in researching the Genesis Cave. (Even if the Genesis Project had long been abandoned.)
    I have no problem with the Nebula being taken over by the Borg. After all there is an invasion going on and the location is far off from the Federation core. (Nevermind that there are Borg sitting in Kerrat).

I ignore Ker'rat, Otha, and N'vak since there never been any storylines for them. But I doubt the Borg would have any interest in the Mutara Nebula.
    psiameese wrote: »
    As I understood it, with both the Federation and the Klingons having become so well distracted, the Borg managed to establish themselves within reach of both the Mutara Nebula and Cestus system. What might explain a lot of things is if Vega Colony - from the tutorial - was also established in Gamma Orionis sector block. But I don't think the game tells where, exactly, Vega Colony is on the maps.

In STO, it's suggested that the Transwarp Conduits are becoming more common place for shortened travel within established territories closer to home. The Gamma Orionis conduit is the only permanent one on the maps. I wonder if its really not the Borg presence in Beta Quadrant as much as the Transwarp Conduit that is confusing folks? A conduit doesn't necessarily have to exist to only shorten travel between galaxy quadrants (Alpha to Delta, for example).

Vega Colony isn't in Gamma Orionis, Vega is located 25 Light Years Northwest of Earth, in the Alpha Quadrant. Unless "Vega Colony" isn't in the Vega System.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    mutara is also a class of nebula. voyager encountered one in the delta quadrant and called a mutara class nebula. its the generic name of it like 'M class planet'.

while i think the designers meant it to be the nebula from wrath of khan it could just be a generic nebula of the same type.
  • w1ldcor3w1ldcor3 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    cusashorn wrote: »
    WHY IS THE INFAMOUS MUTARA NEBULA IN BORG-CONTROLLED SPACE!? The very nebula where Kirk fought against Khan in Star Trek 2.

I could understand if it was a Mutara-class nebula, which have been pointed out on a few occasions in the series, but not THE Mutara Nebula.

TL;DR: Is the Gamma Orionis block in the Alpha or Delta Quadrant?

This is A Mutara Nebula because THE Mutara Nebula is transformed into the Planet Genesis at the end of ST2.

Gamma Orionis is in the Delta Quadrant.
    edited June 2012
    Vega Colony isn't in Gamma Orionis, Vega is located 25 Light Years Northwest of Earth, in the Alpha Quadrant. Unless "Vega Colony" isn't in the Vega System.

I concur.
    I finally found it in my copy of the Star Trek Maps book. Assuming Vega Colony is on Vega IX as other sources suggest, it would be in a sector west of Teneebia Sector (Memory Alpha).

So are their any STF mission details which elaborate on why the Borg simply didn't continue to gravitate nearer Vega instead of, say, the much further away Mutara Nebula and Cestus region?
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    w1ldcor3 wrote: »
    This is A Mutara Nebula because THE Mutara Nebula is transformed into the Planet Genesis at the end of ST2.

Gamma Orionis (Bellatrix) is in the Beta Quadrant, generally "south" of Klingon Space, next to the Gorn Hegemony. As mentioned in this thread already, the STO team used the Star Charts book for the overall sector layout for the game: Star Charts 1 & Star Charts 2.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • rdm1958rdm1958 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    i have yahoo open at all times and my number one search is:

star trek online (insert subject here)

find what i need everytime
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    psiameese wrote: »
    I concur. I finally found it in my copy of the Star Trek Maps book. Assuming Vega Colony is on Vega IX as other sources suggest, it would be in a sector west of Teneebia Sector (Memory Alpha).

So are their any STF mission details which elaborate on why the Borg simply didn't continue to gravitate nearer Vega instead of, say, the much further away Mutara Nebula and Cestus region?

None whatsoever, even with the original STFs. The Borg suddenly were there at Vega.

Heck, I'm still figuring out how the Borg even managed to construct a base there in the heart of Federation Territory, years before their advancement into Gamma Orionis.

I seriously doubt that the Mutara Nebula condensed light years worth of material into a new star and planet within a few minutes. At best only a portion of the nebula was turned into the Genesis system.

And Gamma Orionis, definitely in the Beta Quadrant, "south" of Earth.
    mutara is also a class of nebula. voyager encountered one in the delta quadrant and called a mutara class nebula. its the generic name of it like 'M class planet'.

while i think the designers meant it to be the nebula from wrath of khan it could just be a generic nebula of the same type.

It's a class of Nebula, but care to point out another Mutara-class Nebula in or near Federation space that the MIDAS array could be located?
  • cusashorncusashorn Member Posts: 461
    edited July 2012
    Wow. I guess the developers really did do their research.

I just finished watching Unimatrix Zero from Voyager. In it, Seven's friend mentions that he's on a borg sphere on the border of fluidic space, on the other side of the galaxy. At the end of the episode, Seven confirms that he's on the edge of the Beta quadrant.

Well, that would explain why the Undine can be found off of Gamma Orionis, and that the Borg were over there well a lot longer than the game leads us to believe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Cryptic's position is that the nebula is either back or was never fully consumed.

Gamma Orionis is very clearly in the Beta Quadrant.

The Borg can transport anywhere in the galaxy. They are flanking us from the opposite direction of the Delta Quadrant.

A larger reason is that Children of Khan was supposed to take place in the nebula where Khan was defeated and Cryptic chose to have the Borg turn up in that region of space (because the Borg can turn up anywhere; they use portals) to center endgame around the region of space where the nebula from Wrath of Khan was located.
  • sharevsharev Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yeah I think its clear it is supposed to be further south of the Klinks in Beta.

Nice catch about the Unimatrix Zero reference with Beta 'bordering' Fluidic Space, hadn't thought of that.

Makes sense to me that the Borg would be able to grab a foothold there as it is a distant area of Federation space and the Fed-Klink war would make reaching it initially to drive them back very difficult. It's proximity to Cestus and Gorn space might explain how the Borg assimilated those mega Gorns for use on Defera,