test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dev gozer leaving too!

hrci2907hrci2907 Member Posts: 648 Media Corps
In just a couple of day the 2 most iconic devs of STO, Heretic and Gozer have left or plan leaving in couple of weeks. This is a huge blow to the future of this game and STO communnity! Things are definitely not going as planned! :mad:
"This is your ultimate STO Youtube channel!"
https://youtube.com/user/MyBalkanGaming
Post edited by hrci2907 on

Comments

• defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Do you have a link to an official statement from Cryptic or Gozer about this?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • kandorouskandorous Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    So that special pvp focus he just undertook is... :confused:

Oh. Right...
  • hrci2907hrci2907 Member Posts: 648 Media Corps
    edited June 2012
    the statemant is in pvp gamplay thread by gozer himself, or see the dev tracker and check it out yourself.

here is the link: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=4413591#post4413591
  • defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Thanks, I was waiting for something like that to surface, that thread was a barrel of laughs.

Another great face leaves... Now only DStahl is left, and only a shadow of himself.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I just read Gozers confirmation post in another thread, and I'm really sad about it.

Best wishes to him though.
    edited June 2012
    this is going to be a sad month for STO! Only thing that can make it a little better is Season 6 and soon!
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I guess the Chinese Overlords are really rubbing people the wrong way.
    edited June 2012
    it seems so!
  • cptskeeterukcptskeeteruk Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    It is sad to see that heretic was leaving and now gozer who was recently appointed lead of pvp but that seems no longer possible with him going now. All the original devs are jumping ship who will be next. Dan, Geko, Taco, how much longer will they be around for.

I can pretty much guess its because of pwe tho no one would ever say it.

Im just wondering will there be any original cryptic devs around by the end of the year or will they too move on to other jobs as a few of them already have or have plans to very soon.

Thoughts?

Edit - Incase some missed gozer saying he is leaving.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=4413591&postcount=158
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xorvianxorvian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    He has already quit once and then came back. He may return again in a month or two.
  • stealthymcthiefstealthymcthief Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Gozer leaving is my Christmas. Maybe they can finally get someone competent to balance gameplay.
  • grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Its been my belief since a lot of stuff started happening the past month or so that PWE is killing cryptic. They are just waiting for NWN to get completed then they'll take full control and run it like another one of their cheap knock off games.
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • kbflordkruegkbflordkrueg Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Maybe they're leaving because they're tired of getting so much TRIBBLE on the forums?
    Just saying...
    If they were the one making the calls, that would be one thing.
    But being constantly raged at over someone else's decision really bites..
    Been there..
    Who knows, maybe they're unhappy with the direction of STO...
    Maybe they just want to make more money elsewhere...
    Who knows?
    Hmm, are there any of the original Dev team left now I wonder?
    GL to both in whatever the future brings them.
    Lord Krueg
    KBF CO
    We are the Dead
    join date Aug 2008
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    hrci2907 wrote: »
    Things are definitely not going as planned! :mad:

its never a good time to lose and dev and two in quick order does not help but honestly we get the same comment every time a dev leaves.

when craig took a break, people said he had been fired or that the game was sinking, and they did not believe him when he just said he was taking a break and then he came back. when dan left people said it was pw pushing him out, or he was leaving a sinking ship yet 2 months later he comes back. goz himself has already left once before and come back. he said its got nothing to do with pw, sto or pvp. so why do people never believe them even though half the times its proven they are telling the truth when they return.

people jumped to conspiracy theory mode when logan left and we got 2 devs to replace him. they still have more people working there now than they did at the start of the year. you cant assume its a sign of anything just because people move on in their lives.
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    Sigh...

Another great face leaves... Now only DStahl is left, and only a shadow of himself.

Ever since DStahl left, and came back... he's been virtually invisible. He might as well be gone.

All the good ones are gone, or going. What's left? "The bottom of the barrel"
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Change is inevitable.
    Cemeteries are full of irreplaceable people.
    New hands can bring new life.

The sky isn't falling.
  • obiwanjabroniobiwanjabroni Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    meurik wrote: »
    Ever since DStahl left, and came back... he's been virtually invisible. He might as well be gone.

All the good ones are gone, or going. What's left? "The bottom of the barrel"

Seriously?

So Logan, Heretic, and Gozer are the only good devs in all of MMO development? Everyone else is "the bottom of the barrel" as you put it?

Maybe if the STO forums weren't filled with TRIBBLE like this then devs would post more. Maybe if people didn't rail against them for not tailor making the game to every specific niche desire out there, or call them names for everything that is mentioned in passing and doesn't work out, then they'd post more.

Or hell, maybe not, because they're busy working.

Believe it or not, some people go from one job to another for things like career advancement or making more money... and that's it. Personal life fulfillment. Why is that so difficult to believe when folks like Heretic and Gozer pretty much come out and say that's what it is?

Oh, nevermind. PWE has gag orders on the devs that don't post. When devs active on the forums don't post for a while, then they have gag orders too. Devs that leave are run out by PWE.

Good lord. Are conspiracy theories this prevalent in other MMO forums?
    sig_universal.png
  • sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Seriously?

So Logan, Heretic, and Gozer are the only good devs in all of MMO development? Everyone else is "the bottom of the barrel" as you put it?

Maybe if the STO forums weren't filled with TRIBBLE like this then devs would post more. Maybe if people didn't rail against them for not tailor making the game to every specific niche desire out there, or call them names for everything that is mentioned in passing and doesn't work out, then they'd post more.

Believe it or not, some people go from one job to another for things like career advancement or making more money... and that's it. Personal life fulfillment. Why is that so difficult to believe when folks like Heretic and Gozer pretty much come out and say that's what it is?

Oh, nevermind. PWE has gag orders on the devs that don't post. When devs active on the forums don't post for a while, then they have gag orders too. Devs that leave are run out by PWE.

Nice. A voice of reason has appeared. I will miss you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • joenatljoenatl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I have to agree that devs moving on are not a death nail.

I've been with this game since open beta and I can't tell you how many death nail posts I have seen.

"oh a font changed, oh well the game is going to die now that this happened"

"Star wars is out, well there goes the game"

"dstahl is leaving, game dead."

This forum really is crazy, its like the whole place has a huge case of schadenfreude and is waiting for the moment for the game to die. We are what 2.5 years in and it's still not dead. Changed, but not dead.
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Seriously?

For your information, I referred to CapnLogan, Heretic and Gozer as being among the "greats" at Cryptic Studios. That being said, Cryptic is far from being the greatest game studio, and there are devs in other companies who I hold in rather high regard as well.

Cryptic, having only 30 or so employees working on STO, doesn't have a whole lot of room for "great developers". If they have 30 employees, and 3 of them leave, that's a drop in 10% of the work force. When these 10% stand for more than 50% of the good things in STO development, that's a MASSIVE BLOW to STO.

I realize, you have your nose so far up... somewhere, that it's hard for you to see when things are going bad.

I understand full well that people move around alot from job to job, especially witin game development. You act as thou I have no understanding whatsoever.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I take it perfect world plan to have their overseer move in ?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • drudgydrudgy Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Best of luck to Gozer in his future endeavors.

As for STO i'm sure DStahl has things moving along and in good hands. There are still some really good folks on the dev team i'm sure can take over or some new folks we have yet to meet.
    f3wrLS.jpg
  • nyiadnyiad Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Hmm maybe I should just go to F2P account....
  • utioutio Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Seriously?

Oh, nevermind. PWE has gag orders on the devs that don't post. When devs active on the forums don't post for a while, then they have gag orders too. Devs that leave are run out by
    PWE.

Please don't post here with sensible options. He can't be leaving for any other reason than pwe. It's all their fault!!!!
  • ryanevryanev Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    meurik wrote: »
    For your information, I referred to CapnLogan, Heretic and Gozer as being among the "greats" at Cryptic Studios. That being said, Cryptic is far from being the greatest game studio, and there are devs in other companies who I hold in rather high regard as well.

Cryptic, having only 30 or so employees working on STO, doesn't have a whole lot of room for "great developers". If they have 30 employees, and 3 of them leave, that's a drop in 10% of the work force. When these 10% stand for more than 50% of the good things in STO development, that's a MASSIVE BLOW to STO.

I realize, you have your nose so far up... somewhere, that it's hard for you to see when things are going bad.

I understand full well that people move around alot from job to job, especially witin game development. You act as thou I have no understanding whatsoever.

I'm pretty sure Cryptic has well over 30 Devs of workfoce. 30 may be apparent to you, but there are at least twice as many behind the scenes writing code, making meshes, fixing bugs. Now there's QA too.

I myself am working for a Dev company that works on a project on much lesser scale than STO. Our Clients are aware of and communicate with about 10 people max out of company of 200. Now make your calculations and think realistically about the workforce of Cryptic.

Anyway on the topic: I'm pretty sad to see Gozer go. I had my hopes with him taking up PvP and participating in the testing of No win scenario etc etc... and suddenly he's going.
    I must say i didn't see this coming. Usually when people are leaving in my company they don't take up important projects and just teach the newcomers all they know so the tradition would be smoother.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    So walks Gozer the Gozerian. Many subs have long dread this day........

Best of luck, Gozer.:smile:
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • thoroonthoroon Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    It's pretty common for a dev to change workplace, wether intern or extern.
    Sometimes it's for the money or family.
    Sometimes it's for a fresh perspective, wether for the dev or the product (being a good dev means that).
    Sometimes you get booted by the company.
    And sometimes you quit, because of the "com" ...

There are a lot of reasons why, and be "happy" the devs actually say goodbye, instead of just getting lost.

Being a Dev can be hard at times, but often enough you see you have the best job in the world (entertaining people and having your name on a successful product just feels great!).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Okay.

1) Good for Gozer on scoring an opportunity.

2) Sad times for PvP folks as PvP needs someone innovative, bullish, and mechanically inclined on it.

3) Does this mean there's a content job opening? Should folks apply? When can we pounce on the new guy? Fresh blood. Fresh blood! Nomnomnom.