Options

Call Out To STO Veterans

124»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    How most of this thread looks.....

Mommy, the people that run the game I play give me free stuff every 100 days even though they don't have to, but I don't like the free stuff they don't have to give me and I want something better. /pout

Some are better than others, it's free stuff. My favorites so far have been the badge from the 100 day, the vet bling option for the Jupiter uniforms from the 500, and the android from the 700. I don't really bother with the Yacht, never claimed the fireworks, don't use the 200 day uniform, and don't use the titles.. I do use the slots, at least the ship ones, and the respecs. The main thing on this 800 day one is the ship slot, the walk around pet is just an extra. I'm looking forward to the 900 day ship material and uniform
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Cryptiecop wrote:
    Too bad they don't do veteran rewards like they did in SWG, where you have a choice of items to pick from ( example 90 days to current) and other items being a 1 time only per account...that way if the player didn't like the new reward, they at least have an option to get something they didn't grab on their last reward session...

That was because SWG only let you take one thing, they made you choose, here if there are multiples they give you all of it. There is no reason to pick something from before because you got all of it already.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    You know what would make a really excellent 1000 day vet reward?

The ability to choose a 1 time only pick of...

1 C-Store item of your choice...
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Vet rewards are just special items. not BETTER items.

Ah hah, but you see...they aren't special if you can buy a copy in the C-Store, no?

I don't think this thread is about wanting everything. I don't think it's asking too much to have exclusiveness. 800 days isn't a short time. It shows that people support your product.

Sure, you could probably make a tidy sum offering the item on the C-Store, but it's about respect. It's about telling people who have paid your bills and kept you employed that you appreciate their dedication.

We show our thanks by spending money on your game. YOU show thanks for giving us things that can't be gotten otherwise.

Maybe I misunderstand the idea of Vet Rewards.

If they are just going to give us free C-Store stuff, then why not just toss us an extra 400 CP every 100 days and let us do what we want with it?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Cryptiecop wrote:
    You know what would make a really excellent 1000 day vet reward?

The ability to choose a 1 time only pick of...

1 C-Store item of your choice...

...As an account wide unlock irrespective of its original unlock parameters.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Thutmosis wrote:
    Your assumption is wrong .... everyone will be able to get a Mugato, the one out of the CStore is just more useful, while Vet's get the useless one ... thats kind of the whole point of the Thread though

It's not about people not liking the Vet-Rewards (some people might have hijaked the Thread for this though), but about Vet-Rewards not being anything special anymore ...

Even though you think I missed your point, I didn't. In fact you missed mine. Based on past history, I wouldn't expect to get a "useful" item as a reward. It has only happened once, with the bridge officer. I get that the pet isn't the same as the C-store device, do you?

If they turn around and sell the pet in the C-store, or make it available some other way, then it is no longer unique, and that cheapens the reward.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    mister_dee wrote:
    ...you forgot to mention the Klingons still have no 100 day vet reward.

Yes, I have 4 Klingons as well as 4 feds, i think anyone who has rolled a klink knows we're the red headed step child of the game.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    GenEricII wrote:

..... i think anyone who has rolled a klink knows we're the red headed step child of the game.

mmm hmmm - I couldn't have said it better. Us Klingon players always get the royal shaft - where's the love CRYPTIC?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    CrustyMac wrote: »
    I get that the pet isn't the same as the C-store device, do you?

Like I said before ... I get that the Veteran One is not a Combat Pet .... but it's still the same model with the same animations, it's still the same work they put into, it just more useless, and probably some waste product leftover from making the Combat pet ... (wouldn't really care about it being useless, if it was at least "unique")

They just removed it's combat ability and the cooldown - very cheap thing to give us, like getting your brothers old shoes for birthday, but without the shoelaces .... your parents telling you "Look Boy, very special shoes they're not like your brothers, you'll never trip over your own feet ... now shut up and be grateful ..."

The other Vet-Rewards on the other hand were unique, even if they were "useless" and just some Fun Items .... even if some other guy might say the Captains Yacht and the Delta Flyer are almost the same because both are Shuttles .... but at least we didn't get a Delta Flyer, with only one BO Slot while 4 Days later the 2 BO Slot Delta Flyer would have appeared in the CStore ... (guess these wouldn't be the "same" either ?)

I get your point, but I think it's kind of silly ....
    Saying the "Mugato Companion" is unique because non-Vets don't get the option of having a NON-Combat Pet, is like pulling the engine out of car and selling it as "Unique Vehicle" because it can't drive .... it's still the same car ....

If they do something like this with the next VET Rewards it will probably be like this ....

900 Days
    FREE Exclusive Starship "Material"
    905 Days
    CSTORE Exclusive Starship "Material" NOW with glitter

900 Days
    FREE Exclusive Uniform Variant
    905 Days
    CSTORE Exclusive Uniform Variant NOW glossy

1000 Days
    FREE Exclusive Starship Variant :
    Well thats a simple one ... just remove one nacelle from the Galaxy X and call it "Galaxy X Variant", looks like the original Galaxy you say ... doensn't matter it's "different" it's the "Galaxy X Variant", but of course without Phaser Spinal Lance (since you shouldn't get something useful or game-changing with the Vet Rewards) ....
    Now some might say they already got the Galaxy Retrofit from the 600 Day Vet Reward .... but hey look on the bright side the "Galaxy X Variant" doensn't have Saucer Seperation either ... so I guess it's unique and different from the CStore Variants ....
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I disagree with putting something in the store that's intended for those who put in the 800 days. same thing was done the Collector's Edition, and not long after going live what was intended to be exclusive no longer was. if someone wants a vet reward, let them get a lifer and wait 800 days
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I want a.............ship :D
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I want a.............ship :D

Just wait for :
    1000 Days
    FREE Exclusive Starship Variant

But the way things seem to be going ... my guess is, it'll be a "Galaxy X Variant" without the third nacelle, and Phaser Spiral Lance :P
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    CapnBludd wrote: »
    How most of this thread looks.....

Mommy, the people that run the game I play give me free stuff every 100 days even though they don't have to, but I don't like the free stuff they don't have to give me and I want something better. /pout

Some are better than others, it's free stuff. My favorites so far have been the badge from the 100 day, the vet bling option for the Jupiter uniforms from the 500, and the android from the 700. I don't really bother with the Yacht, never claimed the fireworks, don't use the 200 day uniform, and don't use the titles.. I do use the slots, at least the ship ones, and the respecs. The main thing on this 800 day one is the ship slot, the walk around pet is just an extra. I'm looking forward to the 900 day ship material and uniform

Sorry but I think your missing the big picture here, vet rewards are a small perk given to gold members but by putting a better verison in the c-store just makes a mockery of giving it in the first place.

How would you feel to see the 900 day vet rewards end up on the c-store?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Sorry but I think your missing the big picture here, vet rewards are a small perk given to gold members but by putting a better verison in the c-store just makes a mockery of giving it in the first place.

How would you feel to see the 900 day vet rewards end up on the c-store?

Wouldn't bother me, I got it free. I'm not missing any point, you are. The vanity pet is a small perk, exactly as you said. Nothing stops you from getting the so called better version if you want. I've got combat hortas, but I rarely use them due to other devices needing the slots. I'm actually more likely to click on the pet occasionally if I take it than the combat. If you don't want it don't claim it, same as I did with the fireworks. OMG USELESS FIREWORKS!!!! RAGE RAGE!!, nah that would have been stupid, just not claiming it was smarter. OMG!!! OTHER JUPITER UNIFORMS!!!!!!! RAGE RAGE RAGE!!!!!, again stupid so nah, use the vet bling on one I like better. They gave me a small perk some I like some I don't, some people love things I don't and I like things they don't.

I see you are Sep 2010 join date, did you know that the Borg Captain wasn't originally added to LTS's that were not pre release LTS's? The folks that got LTS after release when they offered them again due to demand wanted it so it was added. I should rage because that was a mockerey and a slap in the face and 'insert some tired whine'? Nah didn't care then, still don't. You bought an LTS and paid more, so I was cool with you getting it. ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    It would not have hurt them to give the vet reward and offer the combat version a few months down the line .
    Same as the Hortas .
    We could get the baby Horta in a FE and a little while later , we go to craft larger Hortas and got combat Hortas in the C-Store .

If they had released the Vet Horta sooner , it may have incited some players to subscribe .
    The message now is : Don't Subscribe , you can buy a better version of Mugatu now at the same time as subbers get their free one .
    (all that's missing from the sentence above is an "LOL")
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Aelfwin wrote: »
    It would not have hurt them to give the vet reward and offer the combat version a few months down the line .
    Same as the Hortas .
    We could get the baby Horta in a FE and a little while later , we go to craft larger Hortas and got combat Hortas in the C-Store .

If they had released the Vet Horta sooner , it may have incited some players to subscribe .
    The message now is : Don't Subscribe , you can buy a better version of Mugatu now at the same time as subbers get their free one .
    (all that's missing from the sentence above is an "LOL")

What is 'better'? Combat pets do minimal damage, they are purposely made that way so that having one or not having one barely affects combat.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    What is interesting from the thread is the consistency in the question of useful things that are unique. Such as additional DOff slots that go over the maximum buyable allowance or another unique BOff. I am very much looking forward to the Andoid BOff that I am entitled to in about 2 weeks time.

I know that there is also talk of making some of the remaining exclusive purchase itesm available in the C-Store, such as the EMH console and the TR-116-A sniper rifle. When I bought the game, I got the automated turret, chronodynamic armour and option for the Borg Engineering Officer as I recall... However you can now buy said Borg officer and even the once unique Borg, Undine and Rivera tribbles from the C-Store....

The point of unique vet awards is that they should be unique. They should also be a reward that is meaningful and not simply a vanity award. Whilst I don't wear the Jupiter Vet uniform, mainly as I prefer to wear canon uniforms, I loved the DS-9 Admiral set. However, my Nausicaan character does wear the Furry Klingon shoulder armour, which does look pretty mean!

At the end of the day, we LTS chaps all made a significant investment at the time of purchase and have remained loyal despite the content drought, despite the issues with KDF content lagging, despite the massive hikes in C-Store charges.

I would think that a suitable reward to LTS members would be a discount on the C-Store to revert the prices to pre-F2P levels... But what do others think about that?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    What is 'better'? Combat pets do minimal damage, they are purposely made that way so that having one or not having one barely affects combat.

Combat pets (as well as Engineer turrets) are a great way to take the heat off yourself .
    They are best used wisely as a distracton , not as an added source of DPS .
    Try playing as a team with all activating a pet at the same time .
    It's quite amusing (and it extends the life of any Tactical officer on the team) .
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Aelfwin wrote: »
    Combat pets (as well as Engineer turrets) are a great way to take the heat off yourself .
    They are best used wisely as a distracton , not as an added source of DPS .
    Try playing as a team with all activating a pet at the same time .
    It's quite amusing (and it extends the life of any Tactical officer on the team) .

If you are at the point to get this vet award and don't already have a combat pet, then you've been doing without the distraction thing all this time. If this was the 1st combat pet ever... then maybe, but since anyone could have the free horta one by playing and it does the distraction thing just the same... it isn't better. And if it was the 1st combat pet ever, the forums would be overrun with whines (hmm actually not too much different than now..) about vet rewards being OP and how it was unfair everyone didn't have access to a combat pet.;)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    CapnBludd, the Vet Rewards are not free, they are part of your subscription/lifetime package that you paid for. Please understand that there is an expectation especially giving past advertisment of lifetime/subscriptions that gold would get some worth while perks that silvers would not, as any 'loyalty program' would offer. As it stands right now, you are economically better being silver than you are gold while still maintaining almost all the perks. Heck, even the supposengly customer service priority that golds were supposed to get is now extended to silvers.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Cursix wrote:
    CapnBludd, the Vet Rewards are not free, they are part of your subscription/lifetime package that you paid for. Please understand that there is an expectation especially giving past advertisment of lifetime/subscriptions that gold would get some worth while perks that silvers would not, as any 'loyalty program' would offer. As it stands right now, you are economically better being silver than you are gold while still maintaining almost all the perks. Heck, even the supposengly customer service priority that golds were supposed to get is now extended to silvers.

Umm no, vet rewards were added after the fact. There were no vet rewards when I got the lts They were a bonus added by the Devs after the game rolled out. I'm not arguing or caring about gold or silver as I have both. I did expect more of a CO style ftp difference, but that isn't what is here so I'm not going to sit and stew over it, not that I would anyway:) It works out for my silver account that I can do everything alongside my gold. I haven't had any real issues I needed customer service for, not talking about bugs I've had those of course, or things solved by a mission restart. No billing problems or any of that.

I've said before, my LTS was based on one thing, would I play the game for more months than $240 would pay for a monthly subscription, and I said yes. All I needed was for it to stay up and myself to enjoy playing it past that point and I got the best of the deal. I'm in the clear, it's all free to me now, just don't change what I already have like they tried to with my Excelsior:) If you are still paying a sub and don't want to, stop, you can do that you know. If you went LTS as the game went FTP, you have bad timing. It happens to all of us, heh I was a Hellgate London lifer, and we know what happened there. This time I didn't lose my bet, STO isn't everything I want by any means, but it is enough of what I want to keep me happy.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Umm no, vet rewards were added after the fact. There were no vet rewards when I got the lts They were a bonus added by the Devs after the game rolled out. I'm not arguing or caring about gold or silver as I have both. I did expect more of a CO style ftp difference, but that isn't what is here so I'm not going to sit and stew over it, not that I would anyway:) It works out for my silver account that I can do everything alongside my gold. I haven't had any real issues I needed customer service for, not talking about bugs I've had those of course, or things solved by a mission restart. No billing problems or any of that.

I've said before, my LTS was based on one thing, would I play the game for more months than $240 would pay for a monthly subscription, and I said yes. All I needed was for it to stay up and myself to enjoy playing it past that point and I got the best of the deal. I'm in the clear, it's all free to me now, just don't change what I already have like they tried to with my Excelsior:) If you are still paying a sub and don't want to, stop, you can do that you know. If you went LTS as the game went FTP, you have bad timing. It happens to all of us, heh I was a Hellgate London lifer, and we know what happened there. This time I didn't lose my bet, STO isn't everything I want by any means, but it is enough of what I want to keep me happy.

The LTS offer at the time mentioned "More on the Way" in terms of the vet awards and it was added not just to LTS but to all subscribers at the time.

There is this thing called ethics that Cryptic has chosen to ignore. You don't throw your loyal customers under the buss just to grab a quick buck from new players, you just don't. I'm reminded of a bank comercial I once saw that sort of fits this, ah yes, Ally bank comercial, new-er kid gets benefits (ice-cream) while less new kid doesn't (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZBjTGSDNT4). Sort of fits what Cryptic is doing.

But hey, if you are find allowing a company to walk over you and the Star Trek IP like that, it's your call. Why would any company want to be ethical when people don't expect it from them.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Cursix wrote:
    The LTS offer at the time mentioned "More on the Way" in terms of the vet awards and it was added not just to LTS but to all subscribers at the time.

There is this thing called ethics that Cryptic has chosen to ignore. You don't throw your loyal customers under the buss just to grab a quick buck from new players, you just don't. I'm reminded of a bank comercial I once saw that sort of fits this, ah yes, Ally bank comercial, new-er kid gets benefits (ice-cream) while less new kid doesn't (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZBjTGSDNT4). Sort of fits what Cryptic is doing.

But hey, if you are find allowing a company to walk over you and the Star Trek IP like that, it's your call. Why would any company want to be ethical when people don't expect it from them.

I explained why I feel the way I do, because of my single goal for what I wanted to get out of the LTS was more playtime than the cost. I got that. I didn't go into it looking to be hugged and told how great I am, I just wanted to spend much less on this game than I did playing EQ and other sony pass games for almost 9 years. I'm not walked on, I'm doing the walking. :cool:
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    In my opinion, veteran spells loyalty. I would prefer awards we can use not lipstick and eyeliner. The sentiment is appreciated though
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    So rather than an actual Klingon faction we're still stuck with Klingon alts and more pets.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Umm no, vet rewards were added after the fact.

Yes, they technically added them later, but we asked back in beta about Vet Rewards. They said, yes there would be vet rewards, every 100 days but that they hadn't yet determiend what exactly would be given. They only said, various cosmetic items and possible game mechanic features like character slots. Then someone asked if they would exclusive to vets. The answer was yes.

You go ahead and be happy. It's your right, just as it's my right not to be happy.

Do I care if they add the item to the C-Store? At this point, no. They have already backtracked so much over the last two years that I expect it. My issue is that it should be the SAME item. I get it for free, sure, okay thanks. But don't insult the loyalist. Even if the game is free to play now, it hasn't been forever, and vet rewards should be a "thanks" for those of us being loyal to Cryptic.

This is more like a slap in the face, saying, "whatever".