test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Idiots on the internet.

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited October 2010 in Ten Forward
Let me be absolutely clear about this.

If you live in a first-world country, and I hear you complain about how difficult your constant vacation of a life is, you are now my enemy.

I've had enough of these people complaining about how they can't stand their lives or how hearing constant optimism sickens them, then watching them go back to their 40-hour work weeks that pay a decent wage, drink some free clean water, eat a hot meal, then complain some more. For frak's sake, people, you got it cushy.

The worst part?

The people I've most recently heard complaining about this are my girlfriend and my ex-roommate.

And that makes me look like an idiot for associating with them.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    The people I've most recently heard complaining about this are my girlfriend and my ex-roommate.

What makes you think you're not an idiot anyway? :eek::p

We really do have it cushy here, though.

And yes, I have been to Africa. I went to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro in 2008. The ammount of shoe-shiners and similar street trade was shocking.

And that's in the developed parts.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    MGDawson wrote: »
    What makes you think you're not an idiot anyway? :eek::p

Well for all I know, I could be the idiot here! Who knows, maybe Liberians with nothing more to call their own than a shack in Monrovia and a few cots could be loving life, and those of us with everything at our fingertips could be in a world of sh*t. Who knows?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well for all I know, I could be the idiot here! Who knows, maybe Liberians with nothing more to call their own than a shack in Monrovia and a few cots could be loving life, and those of us with everything at our fingertips could be in a world of sh*t. Who knows?

Well, when the power networks overload or get damaged beyond repair...
  • Options
    edited June 2010

We'll still have clothing, shelter, clean water, and canned food?
  • Options
    edited June 2010

are you planning something? should i alert the authorities?

unless you want to cut me in
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    We'll still have clothing, shelter, clean water, and canned food?

Well, clothing and shelter yes, but no communication (save letter and word-of-mouth).

And I could quite easily survive on canned food and water, provided there's enough and there's a fire nearby.

Plus we could all go huntin' and whatnot to get food. Gardening, anyone?

Just think! We got all go back to the 1920/20s...the 'Grand Age of Steam' mk2!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    While I will agree that many do engage in hyperbole and things are very seldom as bad as they try to make it sound, I still think it is reasonable to acknowledge that things could always be better.

Afterall, that mentality, the mentality that says we can make it better, is a major part of why we have it so good now. If nobody ever complained, if nobody ever said this is not as good as it could be or as it should be I doubt we would have all this soft living and comfort.

As an additional note, pointing out that a lot of people are whiny and complain too much may very well be part of that process.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    As an American, yeah, I do find complaining excessive, but I'm also guilty of it on occasion. We have a lot to be thankful for, but it's also human nature to complain. Does it make me an idiot and a bad person? Probably so. But let he/she, who lives in any developed country that is WITHOUT SIN, fire the first phaser shot at me.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Happiness is that rarest of human emotional states that is most directly effected by the owner of the emotion.
    It is a common misconception that happiness comes from things, or other people.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    so then - idiots

what a bunch of idiots

no, no, not you people

ok maybe you
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Power grids, and by extension all the major amenities are very vulnerable to say an emp bust, which is likely from a large solar flare since small ones already mess up satellites.

the power grid going out would then TRIBBLE over the water and the sewerage systems as they need electrically powered pumps and other equipment to operate.

But yes, the people that seriously think that an argument with a girl/boy friend is the end of the world need a reality check.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Agreed. I annoyed by the third world as well though. I mean they have been around as long as the first; why haven't they done anything besides kill each other off in mundane ways when they could have been like the first world and discovering how to kill each other off in exciting new ways?

And then the third world gets all uppity and such about the first world trying to hold them down? Geeze, what could they do that the third world is not doing to itself already?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    As far as people in the first world countries, while there are poor amongst them the majority live in a state that Kings just 400 years ago would have thrown away their kingdoms for. Running hot water, flushing toilets, refrigerated and frozen food to name a few mondern convienences.

Then there's the entertainment. In our homes alone we can watch TV , play on the computer, listen to music, play video games. Most of us have a library of books to rival any a weathy family might have had centuries ago. Tthe assorment of availble table top games (RPG and other) trumps what was availble even a century ago.

And of course our freedom. I can say what I want about my Prime Minister without fear of persecution, and there's no religion moving around burning people at the stake because their neighbor claims they are a witch. My wife wasn't forced into marriage with me or I with her. Woman can vote and are legally entited to the same rights as men, and so are any race or culture. Sure it doesn't happen that way perfectly, but the laws are in place.

Oh yeah, we've got it veeeeeeeeerrry cushy in our 1st world countries, and many of us whine and moan about our daily problems, or become outraged over stuff that for the most part has absolutely no effect on our personal lives.

*Raises hand* Guilty here on all counts. Man can I get bummed out by the small stuff. But at least I can log onto the internet and see that I'm not the only whiney cry baby out there.

Lets just hope it doesn't all get screwed up yet. Better yet lets hope the rest of the world can move forward and acheieve the same success. Then perhaps this dream of a StarTrek like society might be that much closer to reality.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Want happiness? punt an ID 10 T a day. i guarantee you will have one big smile and leg in no time. Then everybody else will smile and laugh as you walk in circles, see happiness is contagious. :D
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    This is an interesting conundrum and I don't think it's quite as cut-and-dry as the OP would make out, primarily because there are other considerations at work, here.

Here are a few examples...

- In first-world capitalistic countries, worth is based by the majority on possession, and if you don't possess a lot then you're a grubby little nobody. If you live in a council house in the UK, then you're violent, drunk, and evil. This is, of course, to the contrary that some very intelligent and creative people have called a council house their rumprest.

It doesn't really matter whether you're a poet, an artist, or a writer, your talent is ignored in favour of your wage. Sometimes, it can feel incredibly unfair, and this can drive people to almost suicidal levels of depression because they can't escape reality enough, they have such ideas in their heads and no one really cares just because they happen to be poor.

This is a very real problem.

- First-world countries tend to be very right-wing and closed minded, so this means that considerations like being TRIBBLE are looked harshly upon. You'd think we'd be past TRIBBLE beating, but we aren't. Look at all the chubby, well off kids who post racist, homophobic TRIBBLE on the Internet, they'll grow up to be the sort of people who'd end up in a gang, a gang that would likely be looking for a lone abnormal person to beat upon.

There are massive mental problems caused by this, because people are terrified to admit what they are, even if it's a little bit silly. Even something as harmless and innocuous as the furry fandom seems to have a large amount of small-minded hatred attached to it, it's like people aren't allowed to step outside of the white picket fence, because if they did, they'd be ostracised, and they might even be afraid for their life.

This is also a very real problem that can lead to nervous breakdowns and other mental conditions that can be genuinely debilitating, to the point where they can effect a person's ability to function, their memory, their emotional awareness and so many other things in a very negative way. People in third world countries tend to give more of a **** about the next person than we do.

- A culmination of all of the above and other factors mean that there are a lot of people who're suffering with psychological disabilities, and they might not even realise it! If someone is depressed, are they an TRIBBLE who doesn't realise how well off they are, or have they actually been hit with some sort of debilitating mental illness borne of how incredibly screwed up society is today? You have to consider that mental illnesses in general are constantly on the rise, and this is a huge contributing factor.

Your room-mate, your girlfriend, could all be dealing with things that they don't know how to deal with and couldn't possibly self-diagnose, they could be bipolar, they could be slightly autistic, they could be schizophrenic even, and no one would really notice, because they're just being jerks for feeling sad and sorry for themselves. But the truth of the matter is that they may have no choice, their brain might be locked into a cycle of sadness that they can't break out of, through no choice of their own.

I'm a bleeding heart, yes, but I've seen how mental illnesses can effect people. I narrowly saved someone from a suicide at one point, someone who is schizophrenic, who suffers with really nasty paranoid delusions that are beyonod his control, where he believes the entire world is out to get him and it was really ruining his life. And it took a cry for help like attempted suicide for people to take notice. A friend of mine actually had to call the embassy of his country in order to get some people there to save his life.

So, what is the difference between feeling sorry for yourself and suffering with a mental illness? You have to be a professional to even begin to understand the difference between the two. So the next time you see someone who's depressed and feels that they have it really hard, consider that for them it might be the truth, that you can't know what it's like inside their head, and despite being in a first world country they might really be suffering.

It annoys me that even in this day and age there's just not enough awareness about disabilities. I'm disabled in various ways myself, and frankly, people either patronise me or couldn't give a ****, which is grating, you do your best to put up with it, but even my physical disabilities can leave me a bit depressed, sometimes. I get over it though because I am mentally healthy, I know I'm well off compared to some people, but the point is is that I'm in a unique position: I know what it's like to be disabled.

And some people can look perfectly healthy and have a mental disability, or a mental illness.

Something to keep in mind, yes?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm sometimes a little to happy about life. As Saint cermised it could be worse, alot worse. Although I get very grumpy and shout alot at morons on the TV.

Apart from that i'm a happy chappy. Did I really just say that :rolleyes:

I would have the right to moan maybe if i had 1 leg no fingers only 1 eye and no control over my bodily functions.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hoplite wrote: »
    Power grids, and by extension all the major amenities are very vulnerable to say an emp bust, which is likely from a large solar flare since small ones already mess up satellites.

the power grid going out would then TRIBBLE over the water and the sewerage systems as they need electrically powered pumps and other equipment to operate.

But yes, the people that seriously think that an argument with a girl/boy friend is the end of the world need a reality check.

That is a constant worry as is us trying to contact extra terrestrials. I'm sorry I don't want ET having me for lunch ! :eek:

That and were all doomed.. DOOOMED I TELLS YA in 2012. Either that or the whole world will gain a greater conciousness or whatever as is predicted also. Does that mean we will all become Vulcan like and logical ?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That and were all doomed.. DOOOMED I TELLS YA in 2012. Either that or the whole world will gain a greater conciousness or whatever as is predicted also. Does that mean we will all become Vulcan like and logical ?
    Actually, there's a massive solar storm slated for 2013 which could wreck a lot of our electronics, take down power grids, and generally create havoc.

As for late 2012/early 2013, I'm still hoping for Timewave Zero, because I'm weird. *grins.*
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Let me be absolutely clear about this.

If you live in a first-world country, and I hear you complain about how difficult your constant vacation of a life is, you are now my enemy.

I've had enough of these people complaining about how they can't stand their lives or how hearing constant optimism sickens them, then watching them go back to their 40-hour work weeks that pay a decent wage, drink some free clean water, eat a hot meal, then complain some more. For frak's sake, people, you got it cushy.

The worst part?

IDIOT!!

But, I concur and agree. ButLIIwon'tBpointEaRfingerAatLtheSgroup who I thinks fits this description the most.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Actually, there's a massive solar storm slated for 2013 which could wreck a lot of our electronics, take down power grids, and generally create havoc.

As for late 2012/early 2013, I'm still hoping for Timewave Zero, because I'm weird. *grins.*

See I knew it DOOOOMED.. Packs things and prepares to head for an underground shelter in Mongolia. Pressurized and sealed with enough food to last a gazilion years.

Locks door. "what theres no T'internet or games to play ? LET ME OUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LET ME OUUUUT ! "
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Riiiight. :rolleyes:

he latest forecast revises an earlier prediction issued in 2007. At that time, a sharply divided panel believed solar minimum would come in March 2008 followed by either a strong solar maximum in 2011 or a weak solar maximum in 2012. Competing models gave different answers, and researchers were eager for the sun to reveal which was correct.

"It turns out that none of our models were totally correct," says Dean Pesnell of the Goddard Space Flight Center, NASA's lead representative on the panel. "The sun is behaving in an unexpected and very interesting way."

Researchers have known about the solar cycle since the mid-1800s. Graphs of sunspot numbers resemble a roller coaster, going up and down with an approximately 11-year period. At first glance, it looks like a regular pattern, but predicting the peaks and valleys has proven troublesome. Cycles vary in length from about 9 to 14 years. Some peaks are high, others low. The valleys are usually brief, lasting only a couple of years, but sometimes they stretch out much longer. In the 17th century the sun plunged into a 70-year period of spotlessness known as the Maunder Minimum that still baffles scientists.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Capulet wrote: »
    Riiiight. :rolleyes:

he latest forecast revises an earlier prediction issued in 2007. At that time, a sharply divided panel believed solar minimum would come in March 2008 followed by either a strong solar maximum in 2011 or a weak solar maximum in 2012. Competing models gave different answers, and researchers were eager for the sun to reveal which was correct.

"It turns out that none of our models were totally correct," says Dean Pesnell of the Goddard Space Flight Center, NASA's lead representative on the panel. "The sun is behaving in an unexpected and very interesting way."

Researchers have known about the solar cycle since the mid-1800s. Graphs of sunspot numbers resemble a roller coaster, going up and down with an approximately 11-year period. At first glance, it looks like a regular pattern, but predicting the peaks and valleys has proven troublesome. Cycles vary in length from about 9 to 14 years. Some peaks are high, others low. The valleys are usually brief, lasting only a couple of years, but sometimes they stretch out much longer. In the 17th century the sun plunged into a 70-year period of spotlessness known as the Maunder Minimum that still baffles scientists.

Raises hand erm Miss Cappy, bows humbly. Didn't they also say in Superman the Movie that the sun wasn't going to supernova ? Look how wrong their scientists got that :eek:

Feels tap on shoulder as I begin to make my spaceship to another world. "Whats that, Superman is made up ? GODDAMIT !"
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Capulet wrote: »
    In the 17th century the sun plunged into a 70-year period of spotlessness known as the Maunder Minimum that still baffles scientists.

Actually, the answer is quite clear. It's Bush's fault. :rolleyes:

What? May as well, everything else is still being blamed on him.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Another derail coming at you:

Former Southern Connecticut State Student SUES Father For Tuition Payment

More idiotness on the net.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    'We know it is coming but we don't know how bad it is going to be'

A nightmare scenario. From the text of your link. So it could be much less than is expected.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Vrano wrote:
    LIBERALS

Oh you scamp!
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I got mine from the NASA site. where is yours from? :rolleyes:
  • Options