test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Starships: Model errors, issues and feedback

Comments

• maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think the basic explanation is that in the rush to complete the model they simply forgot to put impulse engines on it, they really didn't need to remove the engines from the saucer. In fact it would have given a modular system look to the design in that any Galaxy class saucer could dock with a Nebula star drive to become a complete vessel.
    Our ship models do appear to have some kind of vents in the aft saucer section although no effects are attached to them, this is more noticeable when using the Magellan costume.
    The hull is noticeably different from a Galaxy in the early studio models but when they made the transition from studio models to CGI they changed the saucer and hull to look more like that of the Galaxy, I prefer the version with all the windows on the saucer.

I think someone had suggested somewhere a wish for a Venture costume option for the Nebula, I would second that since I did purchase the costume to dress up my Galaxy Dreadnaught and I think it would look good on the Nebula as well.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • crypticquackcrypticquack Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I just wanted to pop in here and give my thanks to everyone who has contributed to this list. I have recently needed to touch some old files and I remembered this thread. I looked up the file I was working on and lo' and behold there was some work that needed to be done. This sort of concise and factual criticism is exactly how you guys can help us.

So again, thanks to everyone who contributes to this list.
    Nick "Crypticquack" Quackenbush
    33.33% of the STO Ship Art team.
    100% of the new guys on the STO Ship Art team.
  • vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The avenger mission pod still has it's windows locked in attack mode even when out of combat. Rest of the windows work fine just the mission pod ones seem to be broken.
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I just wanted to pop in here and give my thanks to everyone who has contributed to this list. I have recently needed to touch some old files and I remembered this thread. I looked up the file I was working on and lo' and behold there was some work that needed to be done. This sort of concise and factual criticism is exactly how you guys can help us.

id love it if one of you 3 did nothing but touch ups and remodels like what was done to the defiant costume variants. most of the old stuff is the canon stuff, and stuff new players level up with, you want those ships to make a good impression so players stick around
  • novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Very glad to see you using this thread, as well. Thank you very much and you're very welcome.

I'm curious about a few things. One of which can apply to all ships, the others have more to do with specific ship types. Would you mind if I asked you them?

P.S. There are some things about the Prometheus class model that I'd like to point out, for the thread.

The ship model is missing the secondary deflector on the saucer [alpha section] and primary hull [beta section], along with the torpedo launchers. The three indents on the front of the saucer contain these, as shown here: [Concept art courtesy of Rich Sternbach.] On the primary hull, they're also contained in the three forward indents, as shown here: [Concept art also courtesy of Rich Sternbach.] It also shows the sealed hatch detailing for the upper decks when separated. Matching ports can be seen on the back of the saucer: [Link]

It's hard to see in this next picture, but the secondary deflector array and torpedo launchers on the saucer are slightly visible in the three forward indents near the front of the saucer. (You can tell by the shadowing in the right-most indent that it's flat.) [Screenshot from show.] It's also possible to see that the same is true for the indents in the primary hull, as shown here: [Another screenshot from the show.] (The Nova class happens to have a similar torpedo launcher design.)

The "panel" just in front of the secondary hull's [gamma section] battle bridge is actually indented down into the ship towards the battle bridge. [Rich Sternbach concept art.] This is partially evident in this image of the model if you pay close attention to the shadowing: [Link]

The shuttlebay doors on the primary hull [alpha section] actually had quite a few panel lines: [Link] (Easier to see in the aft view. The fore view shows the deck hatch paneling at the top.)
  • captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Anyone think that Cryptic could add a few less symmetrical ships, either for letheans or random aliens?

I also still think the battle damage that shows on ships should also be asymmetrical.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Okay now that the Galaxy update has been announced, spill the beans. Was it old Galaxy models that you needed to touch up? :P

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Okay now that the Galaxy update has been announced, spill the beans. Was it old Galaxy models that you needed to touch up? :P

If only, but to be honest she'd need more than just a touch up.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • crypticquackcrypticquack Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Nope.

: ]
    Nick "Crypticquack" Quackenbush
    33.33% of the STO Ship Art team.
    100% of the new guys on the STO Ship Art team.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well darn, my woman's intuition was wrong. Stupid Y chromosome...

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Nope.

: ]

Have you fixed the off centre pieces on the Gal-X though? for at least a year the Cannons on the saucer, the phaser lance, and I think the 3rd Nacelle have been off centre.

Here is something that isn't that important but would be good for Canon reasons.

The Galaxy class is missing Ten Forward's windows

http://puu.sh/7cOT0.jpg

There should be windows in the middle of the saucer rim there.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Ten_Forward

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110530100059/memoryalpha/en/images/7/7b/Ten_Forward_Okuda_design.jpg
  • captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I wonder if the Tholian interior should be re-done so it looks more crystalline than mechanical?
  • novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Okay, I guess it's that time again.

The Galaxy and Nebula classes are missing the windows around Ten Forward on the saucer, as tuskin67 pointed out. Here's some more images for reference: [Show screenshot] [Game screenshot]
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I feel like throwing this feedback into the abyss of the Art sub-forum, didn't see it in the known issues list, and don't feel like using the convoluted and unfriendly forum search function.

I think the Odyssey default paintjob is bad, the Andromeda one. The one the Enterprise and all the Odyssey NPCs ships use.

And this is why.

The ship name and registry on the back of the nacelles are painted black -- and so is the default paint job.

And, of course, so are numerous other patterns/materials for the Odyssey.

Point is, aesthetically speaking it's senseless to have a black name/registry on top of a black paintjob. It's obscured, difficult to make out -- and it's an amateur art mistake that I think needs to be corrected.

I mean the Odyssey is supposed to be the most advanced ship in Starfleet, but I can't stop staring at the nacelles and wondering who thought that was a good idea.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited March 2014
    I can't help but look at this forum as anything but the elephant's graveyard of model error discussion. I will be very interested to see what the Galaxy Dreadnaught looks like after the March 6 patch.

Once again i will make note of the the fact that the spinal lance of the Galaxy Dreadnaught where it attaches to the saucer as well as the saucer torpedo launcher and saucer cannons are all misplaced off center to port, the error is more pronounced on the Galaxy version than the Venture, the center warp trail is also misplaced to port.

The Venture Galaxy refit has windows missing from a 20degree arc from the ventral surface of the saucer section.
    The problems with the Dreadnaught and Venture have existed probably since these craft were first introduced.

On the Odyssey equipped with an Aquarius craft, the craft has a mip-mapping error where textures appear normal on the docked craft at close ranged view but at a distanced view the textures become blank white and undetailed. This happens regardless of what coloring or shield effect the Odyssey may be using.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
    edited March 2014
    lets say your a player thats just heard about the fleet galaxy X, and your all excited! then you go to the store and have a look at it, and see this

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/595903887472712243/ED01DBCABAE80824D25135242620C58DE3B6C3F5/

and this

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/595903887472713572/C970E0E7F99DD6B8A82CE48B3DD2B9A4AA3DE859/

and that excited player cant help but tilt his head and wonder how that X specific geo can be so off center, then he wonders how long its been like that, since forever?

oh, and then he doesn't buy the $40 3 pack, or the fleet dread
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    lets say your a player thats just heard about the fleet galaxy X, and your all excited! then you go to the store and have a look at it, and see this

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/595903887472712243/ED01DBCABAE80824D25135242620C58DE3B6C3F5/

and this

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/595903887472713572/C970E0E7F99DD6B8A82CE48B3DD2B9A4AA3DE859/

and that excited player cant help but tilt his head and wonder how that X specific geo can be so off center, then he wonders how long its been like that, since forever?

Bloody hell!! Still.
    The Defiant gets two new variants for FREE and the new Galaxy bundle (for CASH) still is stuck with crappy model work.

And I hate the Galaxy Class.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited March 2014
    It'll be interesting to see if they actually update the Intrepid-class model for Season 9 like Geko suggested they might. Mostly because it'll be odd to see work done on stuff which isn't directly tied into profit, like the Defiant variants recently, than an actual viable C-Store pack.
    edited March 2014
    Well I've had a look at the Galaxy X they've released on Tribble and they haven't done a frappen thing to fix these longstanding eyesore bugs.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
    edited March 2014
    I've always wondered why they never modeled the external part of the battle bridge on the separated stardrive section of the Galaxy ships?
    edited March 2014
    amosov78 wrote: »
    I've always wondered why they never modeled the external part of the battle bridge on the separated stardrive section of the Galaxy ships?
    Probably when the model was first made they weren't thinking of implementing saucer separation so they didn't think it would be a necessary detail.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited March 2014

and this

Even more noticeable once you draw the line of symmetry.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
    edited March 2014
    Even more noticeable once you draw the line of symmetry.

its so shockingly obvious, i felt actually saving them to my computer and drawing lines in paint was redundant.
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    i liked the remark about that being the reason for its inaccuracy.. it would be so funny if it wasnt so sad
  • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Maybe they'll fix the Galaxy model errors with the coming.. *ahem* "reboot".
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
    edited March 2014
    Unless they plan on surprising us tomorrow morning with a repaired model in the patch that goes live on Holodeck, otherwise I'll say suck it up guys, because I really doubt the Galaxy will ever get another look.
    It wouldn't be so bad if it was just a hair off, but it so glaringly obviously fracked up, and the center warp trail, that's not just off center it's coming out next to the damn center nacelle. These guys were fooling around testing this long before it made it to Tribble and they couldn't see this?? Come On!!
    Thankfully the Venture costume isn't so bad off even though it also isn't right on center and it doesn't fix the warp trail.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    http://i.imgur.com/zw9H9HB.jpg

THIS is your promotional picture for the Galaxy bundle.

ARE. YOU. KIDDING. ME?

How could someone work on the picture for this bundle and just MISS the crooked phaser lance? What the flipping heck Cryptic!
  • captwcaptw Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    dear Cryptic... how do you miss something that BIG O.O
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    hypl wrote: »

ARE. YOU. KIDDING. ME?

How could someone work on the picture for this bundle and just MISS the crooked phaser lance? What the flipping heck Cryptic!

The Cryptic Ship Art Team Mascot?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • jer5488jer5488 Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    hypl wrote: »

ARE. YOU. KIDDING. ME?

Actually - it isn't just the lance. All of the normal 'Dreadnought additions' to the standard Galaxy saucer are off center. The lance, the cannons, the 'weapon box' behind the bridge. Everything that was added to the galaxy saucer is misaligned. If you look at your ship straight on - the lance is most visible - but one of the 'torpedo launchers' behind the bridge is aimed straight AT the bridge.

So your choices are: Venture with missing windows on the bottom of the saucer or Galaxy with everything off center. /shrug.
This discussion has been closed.