test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Blackavaar's Guide to Canon Colors

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Terral wrote:
    :( when I use "Screenshot_UI", it doesn't capture the selection boxes, just the blue editing background and the character I'm editing. just "Screenshot" captures my captain standing in front of the tailor.

Oh well, i'll keep trying. Thanks for answering.

If you put the game in windowed mode you can also get the UI by pressing alt+ Print screen. but you'll have to paste it into a paint program. That's how I did it. It may work for you.
    The above method works as well.

Oh, and someone please sticky this thread. It's very useful. Thanks Blackavaar!
    edited April 2010
    Kinthok wrote: »
    I neither see the difference nor do I find any reference to the blue/green distinction in the articles you linked. All it says is that the DS9/VOY science uniform (referred to as Type B) was called blue but was actually a shade of green. It's comprehensively referred to as sciences uniform and, telling from the pictures tacitly includes medical staff. So clearly, there's no distinction. Am I the only one to think so?

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Starfleet_uniforms#Sciences

Look at that chart. You can clearly see that the last two colors are different from the ones immediately before it. I did note, in the stuff you quoted, that it was a timeline thing, rather than a division thing, but either way, it's personal preference.

I'm guessing they had some fabric left over, and made some later style uniforms with old true blue, or something like that.

Blackavaar wrote: »
    And I finished the wallpaper.

I added it to the OP as well.

Enjoy!

:cool:

Oh my goodness that is crowded. I would suggest moving the badges to a separate area.
    edited April 2010

You're very welcome.
    Felderburg wrote: »
    Oh my goodness that is crowded. I would suggest moving the badges to a separate area.

How about now? Moving the badge colors wouldn't really help much as it's the shared primary colors that really cause the crowding. So, instead I changed every other line to a different kind of dash. I think it makes it much easier to follow. What do you think?

edited April 2010
    But I was talking about the later uniforms with the coloured shoulders, not Dr. Crusher's.

Seriously, am I the only one who thinks this is wrong?

The colour would change sometimes depending on the season, Bashir can be seen here in season 1 with one colour: Season 1, and Dax in season 3 with another: Season 3. Again in season 3 they're both seen here with the same coloured uniform: Meridian season 3.
    edited April 2010
    http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Starfleet_uniforms#Sciences

Look at that chart. You can clearly see that the last two colors are different from the ones immediately before it. I did note, in the stuff you quoted, that it was a timeline thing, rather than a division thing, but either way, it's personal preference.

I'm guessing they had some fabric left over, and made some later style uniforms with old true blue, or something like that.

The chart clearly shows the distinction between what they call Type A (colored chest from TNG) and Type B (colored shoulders from DS9/VOY). The Type B ones are a new design with new colors.
    edited April 2010
    Amosov wrote:
    The colour would change sometimes depending on the season, Bashir can be seen here in season 1 with one colour: Season 1, and Dax in season 3 with another: Season 3. Again in season 3 they're both seen here with the same coloured uniform: Meridian season 3.

I'm still not convinced. The subtle difference in the screengrabs might be down to different lighting of the scene and post-processing of the pictures.

My criticism anyway is with the OP saying that the two colors existed alongside in both uniform generations. I remember it differently. The same goes for the movie uniforms (colored turtleneck under jacket).

By the way, Blackavaar, I just rechecked your guide picture for what you call the medical blue-green variant (early DS9) and the red line points to the same shade of blue as in the sciences blue variant. That's probably not what you intended.
    edited April 2010
    By the way, Blackavaar, I just rechecked your guide picture for what you call the medical blue-green variant (early DS9) and the red line points to the same shade of blue as in the sciences blue variant. That's probably not what you intended.

That problem is now fixed. Thank you for calling it to my attention.

edited April 2010
    If you put the game in windowed mode you can also get the UI by pressing alt+ Print screen. but you'll have to paste it into a paint program. That's how I did it. It may work for you.
    The above method works as well.

I was able to get this to work, thanks.
    edited April 2010
    How about now? Moving the badge colors wouldn't really help much as it's the shared primary colors that really cause the crowding. So, instead I changed every other line to a different kind of dash. I think it makes it much easier to follow. What do you think?

That does help, but something more like one line per color; i.e., "This red is the red for ___ & ___ uniforms."

Especially in the lower two sets, as many of them are the same.

The "Common Black" is also the same for ALL four uniforms. Just one note saying "this is the black you should use!" would suffice, rather than four different lines going all over the place.
    edited April 2010
    rayvenwing wrote: »
    you realize the WoK uniforms also had red gold blue and green turtlenecks and trim also

I only modeled the versions that appeared in the Wrath of Khan film. For some reason I can't remember the variants you are describing from the movies. I'll have to go back and watch them again.

I rewatched all of the TOS movies over the weekend and you were absolutely right. I noted the colors and determined what they designated as best I could. The new variants have been added to the OP for your perusal. Let me know if you think there are any others I missed.

That does help, but something more like one line per color; i.e., "This red is the red for ___ & ___ uniforms."

Especially in the lower two sets, as many of them are the same.

The "Common Black" is also the same for ALL four uniforms. Just one note saying "this is the black you should use!" would suffice, rather than four different lines going all over the place.

Per your previous suggestion I have redone the wallpaper, moving the badge colors out of the way. This allowed me to move around some of the lines to avoid so much clutter. Let me know what you think.

I'm doing individual wallpapers for each series to make things simpler all around as well. I'll post those when I finish them.

edited April 2010
    Added a complete wallpaper section to the OP along with new 24th Century and Series versions of the Wallpaper Guides.

Enjoy!

edited April 2010
    Added a complete wallpaper section to the OP along with new 24th Century and Series versions of the Wallpaper Guides.

Enjoy!

The individual ones look fantastic.
    edited April 2010
    The individual ones look fantastic.

Thank you! I'm glad you like them. I hope everyone finds them useful.

edited April 2010
    nice guide thanks for taking the time to put it together:)
    edited April 2010
    Regarding the TOS (films) colors, I struggled with the Operations color when customizing my own bridge crew. I googled and found about 6 different pictures of Uhura and Chekov. Depending upon the quality of the scan - and the saturation of the colors - their sweater was more toward a light-purple.

(I originally suggested blue-grey. But that wasn't right either.)
    edited April 2010
    Regarding the TOS (films) colors, I struggled with the Operations color when customizing my own bridge crew. I googled and found about 6 different pictures of Uhura and Chekov. Depending upon the quality of the scan - and the saturation of the colors - their sweater was more toward a light-purple.

(I originally suggested blue-grey. But that wasn't right either.)

Both Uhura and Chekov appear to be designated as Science Officers in the films. Chekov is repeatedly asked to take Spock's console. Use the Sciences variant. It's a cool gray that does tend to look purplish in some lighting.

edited April 2010
    Close on the TNG Movies uniform. You've got the right idea on the second row from the bottom for the main uniform part. However, the best shoulder color I've seen is the eighth from the left, not the sixth. Also, the Sciences/Medical uniforms share the same shirt color, which is Teal... and you have that dead to rights in your Medical variant. You've got Command down as well (both being sixth in their respective rows... well, actually I think the eighth to the left is the appropriate shade of teal, but that might just be my own settings). However, Engineering/Security gold is best represented a full six colors left of what you have, as I've found.

The combadge, as well... you have the Starfleet Delta right, but the underlay should be the first gold color. Both give a metalic finish to the combadge.

Last thing to mention about colors is the Starfleet utility uniform (the DS9/VOY primary uniform) undershirt. It is not grey. Not even blue-grey. It's actually a shade of violet. Specifically, third row up, 12th shade from the left.

By the by, the Captain's Variant Green uniform for TOS, wasn't the standard uniform shirt. It was actually a wrap-around shirt. I mean, sure, you probably won't notice it except on an up-close inspection in game, but from purely canon perspective, it wasn't the same uniform at all.
    edited April 2010
    RCSlyman wrote: »
    Close on the TNG Movies uniform. You've got the right idea on the second row from the bottom for the main uniform part. However, the best shoulder color I've seen is the eighth from the left, not the sixth. Also, the Sciences/Medical uniforms share the same shirt color, which is Teal... and you have that dead to rights in your Medical variant. You've got Command down as well (both being sixth in their respective rows). However, Engineering/Security gold is best represented a full six colors left of what you have, as I've found.

The combadge, as well... you have the Starfleet Delta right, but the underlay should be the first gold color. Both give a metalic finish to the combadge.

By the by, the Captain's Variant Green uniform for TOS, wasn't the standard uniform shirt. It was actually a wrap-around shirt. I mean, sure, you probably won't notice it except on an up-close inspection in game, but from purely canon perspective, it wasn't the same uniform at all.

The colors I chose were tested first in the various lighting elements in the game, not just in the Tailor screen, which is not quite the same as most of the in game lighting. If you test out your choices you may find that they often will appear either too light or too dark in most of the in game lighting. I will retest just to be sure, but I think I've chosen the best colors for all variants.

There were variations on the shade of blue used on Science uniforms. While it has been pointed out that this may have more to do with the season of the series rather than the Medical and Science designations both blue variants have existed in all three 24th Century series (TNG, DS9 and VOY).

The first gold color makes the back field of the badge look too bright and doesn't contrast well with most lighting in the game so that the Delta stands out the way it should. I will retest just to be sure.

Actually in many of the earlier episodes Captain Kirk wore a Green version of the standard uniform shirt, but the film stock was not able to reproduce that color for television at the time, therefor it appeared as more of a gold color similar to the Command uniform shirt. Later on they just decided to go ahead and switch it to gold because that's what the public was used to seeing.

I appreciate the feedback and I will take it into consideration as I retest the colors.

edited April 2010
    Awesome guide, btw....what are those mirror universe uniforms? Ive never seen those in game before...where can I get them? Is it that CO lifetime offer bonus? It looks like they revamped the uniforms appearance if it is. Would suck though if there isnt a way for me to get them anymore, id love to have some MU uniforms.
    edited April 2010
    The thing about the tailor screen is that it's considered as a "neutral light setting". The color scheme picked is the "true color". Of course when the light changes by the setting, will affect the color scheme chosen, but that's the same said for the actual uniforms worn by the cast. That's why you can look at a production quality TNG movie uniform, and the shoulders appear in their true blue-grey tone. Yet watching the movie, with the set lighting, they appear lighter grey in tone.

As for the Sciences "blue or teal" debate, you're right indeed. Did some checking. Found the color chart for Science Division here: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Sciences_division
    So at one point, they did change to teal as the standard for all Science Division. Apparently Starfleet's gone back to blue as the predominant color sometime before 2409.
    edited April 2010

As for the Sciences "blue or teal" debate, you're right indeed. Did some checking. Found the color chart for Science Division here: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Sciences_division
    So at one point, they did change to teal as the standard for all Science Division. Apparently Starfleet's gone back to blue as the predominant color sometime before 2409.

Why's everybody so surprised by this? The uniform color changed from blue to teal with the change in uniform design introduced for Starbase personnel in 2369 becoming the standard Starfleet uniform in 2371. The TNG uniforms (colored chest) were blue (though they sometimes appeared greenish due to different lighting, especially in early TNG), the DS9/VOY uniforms (colored shoulders) were teal and saw more consistent lighting in DS9 and VOY, rarely appearing blue.

This is not the way it is represented in this thread wich states that both colors existed alongside in both uniform styles.
    edited April 2010
    Blue, Teal ... I'll take 'em both!

I do like the idea of breaking out "Medical" from "Science".

This is all very useful, can we get on sticky on this, please?
    edited April 2010
    Just wanted to say thank you! I was working on something like this yesterday when I started to create a uniform for my crew. This guide just made this much easier, gonna start all over again now. ;)
    edited April 2010
    This is not the way it is represented in this thread wich states that both colors existed alongside in both uniform styles.

The only time they did was very early, in the first couple seasons of TNG, when Science was blue and Medical was teal (though, I'm not sure if that wasn't just bad camera). From 2366 until 2371, Sciences was blue. After 2371, it turned to teal (or jungle green... whatever they want to call it), which was the color when the uniforms went through their overhaul in 2373.

Regardless to what was, though, the current color scheme shows Science and Medical both as blue. Even if someone's wearing the old uniforms, the color scheme would change to reflect Starfleet's current regulations.

... that is, if people weren't already running around in fuscia and neon green...
    edited April 2010

Regardless to what was, though, the current color scheme shows Science and Medical both as blue. Even if someone's wearing the old uniforms, the color scheme would change to reflect Starfleet's current regulations.

Which supports my argument: one common color for science and medical. It's been like that since about 2350. In canon, that is. And this is supposed to be about canon colors.
    edited April 2010

... that is, if people weren't already running around in fuchsia and neon green...
    Which supports my argument: one common color for science and medical. It's been like that since about 2350. In canon, that is. And this is supposed to be about canon colors.

I don't think the color change was so much about regulations as it was about the particular Costume Director/Producer of whichever series at the time. I mean, there is no hard and fast rule about which colors are which and what is what as far as canon really goes. And they tend to keep switching things around mostly for aesthetic purposes. Whatever the reasons, I've simply given you my best guess as to what the colors were meant to designate. Use what you like, disregard the rest.

edited April 2010

Which is good and all. However, as mentioned before, people run around in fuscia and neon green uniforms. So someone preferring to wear teal on their Science officer, over the 2410 standard blue, because they prefer a color scheme that they're used to seeing... I mean, can you honestly fault it?

Of course if you're just making the argument about the use of the phrase "Medical variant" in the colors section, hey, can understand that from the canon aspect.
    edited April 2010
    I have not said this yet, Blackavaar, but "Thank you!" This is a great gaming resource for STO. I have a copy printed out in color for reference. Love it! great job! Thanks for the hard work! ... and on and on and...
    edited April 2010
    I have not said this yet, Blackavaar, but "Thank you!" This is a great gaming resource for STO. I have a copy printed out in color for reference. Love it! great job! Thanks for the hard work! ... and on and on and...

You're all very welcome. I'm glad everyone is enjoying it and finding it useful.

edited April 2010
    I've been using the wrong colors this whole time!
    I sometimes hate being colorblind. It's very hard for me to tell similar colors in the spectrum apart.
    I have to count back or forward (depending on the color swatch location) from the very edge to ensure I have the same colors on my characters throughout.

This can help remind folks like me where the official colors are, when we want to be more authentic.

I'd give rep/good token for this thread, if this board allowed it.
This discussion has been closed.