State of the Game - 25 Feb. 2010

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Love it, but don't forget - we need more clothes :D

Alice

CLOTHES PLEASE!!!!!!
    I've been waiting for Romulans and now seeing that it could be the next faction playable I am hyped and cant wait. Bring it all on i know i am ready like a lot of other people are as well. Great read and cant wait to see it happen.

Romulans, and cardiasians.. but I wouldnt mind seeing an overhaul of Klingons to make them more PvE.
    Maso wrote: »
    Sounds great, the 2 things I miss however...

- Fully 3D space combat
    - Improved ground combat

I hope they are coming too...

those will come eventually I hope
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the updates. We're very much looking forward to them. I was going to cancel after my 30days are up, but I will stick around to see what you guys came up with . :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The Romulans.

Definitely the Romulans :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    difficulty Slider Yay!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nice to see that we are being heard despite those yelling that Cryptic doesnt care. . . Makes me alot happier that I went ahead and got my lifer sub. ABSOLUTELY CANNOT WAIT TO SEE THIS GAME IN A YEAR.

Spahrhawk
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! thank you for listening to your community. The potential of this game is ridiculous. Potential to be one of the GREATS! keep us posted friends!:D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tabaris wrote: »
    Thank you Cryptic, my quickly fading faith in you has been restored.

Why let it fail? Theyve put out their product, that I agree with most should have been in testing and creation alot longer than it was. I mean people hit end content within the first week... The game lacks depth and element and a goal. Its an MMO so its open ended but still once you reach... its "end" youre left with what? I dont even feel accomplished...

I am still rooting for you guys but I am gonna wait it out for awhile....

Also is pretty weird that youre talking about the next race to expand when the Federation story is pretty empty and the klingons just feel like you pasted a klingon overlay to the federation side and then no one bothered to think to put a storyline behind it... i mean its just rather weak...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Definitely the kind of communication and information the community has needed for the past couple o weeks. Good to see this :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nice update, thanks Zinc.

Oh, and you may want to have someone proofread these...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Bikinis for Risa....

Ship dueling area....
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the update Zinc and Cryptic! I can not wait to see this all come into formation!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sounds good i plan on being here for a long time to come.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I like most of the stuff besides death penalty and I am part of the community. One great thing for me about STO is the ability to just login, have fun and log out. I play game to have fun, not to get frustrated. Hopefully Cryptic can find a good way to cater to both side of the players.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If you're going to give serious consideration on adding a death penalty, at least add another survey to get a stronger feel for that the "real" community wants and not the screaming WoW'Tards wanting to turn this game into every other MMO.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ok, that's it. I've decided. Three months more for me, at least. Very happy to see the amount of development going on.

IJust thought of this (and I'm sure I'm not the first to) but here's an idea. Death penalty only applies at higher levels of the new difficulty slider. Problem solved?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Craig, you are totaly right about Death Penality. There is no need for it. Its only a time sink and no player should be punished for dying in Game.

Who needs a Punishment, think about one yourself. Take a break for two hours or delete the Charakter and start a new one because the old one died. If you need a harder punishment stick your Hand in a Toaster every time you die in Game. I don't care. But don't force Players to get a punishment they don't want.

For the rest of the "State of the Game":

Very good read and i can't wait to see all the things. Ship interiors, more bridges, crew quarters, First Officers, Fleet advancement...just great.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    "It’s a little unnerving -- sometimes feels like we work with a giant multi-headed feedback monster that simultaneously loves and hates us. It whips even as it hugs! It rages even as it cries! And it fumes even when it's happy. It's unnerving, yes, but pretty freakin' rad, too. " -ZN

While I liked everything that I read, I found this to be very funny and truthful...ish. There might actually be more whipping, raging, and fuming, than hugging, cring, and happiness...:p At least at times.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    First Officers! Yes! Thanks for the update.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yay death penalties.
    ^not sarcasm^
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    plz no Death Penaltys. i really would not like to see that.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Great State of the Game.

One thing I would like to say is that I've seen arguments about a Death Penalty on this forum for a while with both sides shouting equally and quite forcefully. If a Death penalty is implemented it better be done right otherwise half the player base may leave. On the other hand if not done at all Cryptic could lose the other half*. Whatever you decide to do Cryptic you better make sure you think long and hard about such a heavy element to implement, the fate of the entire quadrant could depend on it**.

Disclaimers:
    *may or may not be 50/50, I would have to take an extensive survey for conclusive data and only a percentage (again, I don't have the numbers) of the game population voices their opinion on the forums and many may not care one way or the other.
    **Yes, its exaggeration, if you take that very last part literally then I cannot help you.
    **Could also be interpreted as the in game quadrant for a game like this cannot run without players and as such the in game universe would cease to exist. However this was not my original meaning when I first wrote the line.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I thank you for your optimistic spirit, Zinc and hope you and the others at Cryptic keep the flame alive.

Like a few folks have posted, I am also concerned by adding in a Death Penalty. I was perfectly fine with the way it has been, especially in PvP. Admittedly, I could "adapt" to a Death Penalty, I'd prefer it be not severe. One of the refreshing things about this game has been a LACK of Death penalty; just go to the fun. I know some argue this does not promote good tactics, but I've seen bad tactics used WITH Death Penalties in all the other games with it.

Thanks for more Klingon ships. Please add Orion and Gorn. Also add more Klingon clothing options, especially FOR Gorn and Orion.

Give animated mouths to Saurians. Rank Saurian Brandy ABOVE or EQUAL to Romulan Ale! (A point I am fixated on, since I play a proud Saurian!)

Other than that. Do what you need to do. More content. more ship selections all around. More "non-combat" options/missions, be they exploration or multiple-choice diplomacy answers.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    plz no Death Penaltys. i really would not like to see that.

you dont even know what it is... could be somthing like a debuff that can be cured by seeing your local doctor.. or maybe somthing bad liek lossing your entire ship ? :O in which case i'll be out of runabouts and cash by the end of the week.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nice to hear more "stuffs" are coming soon. My two cents to add are:

1. I'm not in favor of a death penalty the way the game is currently set up for open instances. I entered one the other day with a group of other LC's, and guess what...we all died in about two seconds. Why? The mission spawned PLUS 28 baddies just inside the entrance! I'm assuming that's cuz someone that level entered the zone...but holy moly! It's one thing if I die cuz I'm not paying attention or do something stupid, but as long as the game spawns baddies who are WAY above and beyond the "normal" level of the mission, I'd like to leave the death penalty out of the mix.

2. Romulans! Definitely Romulans! Oh, and can I haz me one of their big cool ships? Pretty please? :P

3. More things to buy with Cryptic points...my only choices now are a playable Klingon or Ferengi? Klingon might not be so bad...but count me out on the Ferengi. *shudders* I want character slots, unique ship parts, stuff I can use on my characters...not new characters altogether.

4. Oh, and MORE CLOTHES! Especially for the Klingon faction. I can't imagine even playing a Klingon character right now - as I don't want to have to run around in a merry widow / corset - like top all the time. Seriously...that's all the ladies (ehem...excuse me...Amazonian warriors) wear? Hint: girls play this game too, and would like some cool armor for the top half other than skimpy metal breast cups!!!

5. Finally, I'd like to SEE the in-game support, not just hear about it. I still have open tickets from weeks ago, and can't get a live GM to save my life. Literally. :mad:

Maybe that was more like five cents...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Since they also mentioned a difficulty slider, perhaps the solution to the Death Penalty issue lies in that?

Rather, the more difficult people tend to play, the harsher the death penalty becomes. That way, there is a Death Penalty, but it is never more than the player wants, difficulty wise.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I love Trek and I always wanted a game where the devs listened to the community.

I am in it for the long haul having read this!

Great Job guys!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    To me it reads like a lot of Federation stuff, a little that the Klingons get to use too. A raid for for Federation, that we'll let the Klingons into as well. More Federation stuff and oh, here's some ships to keep the Klingons quiet.

Where's all the other stuff that brings the Klingon Faction up to the same level as the Federation? If you can't even get this stuff addressed, who cares about any other new "factions" you could add, because we already see how poor they will be on content, story, etc. From the "love" we've seen towards Klingons those new Factions will also likely just be PvP content for the Federation and not a real faction.

Edit: Oh and what are ya'll doing about all the spam? Other than encouraging more of it by giving out the tons of buddy keys that the spammers use to continually flood Zone, tells and mail. because of this reporting them is only getting one free trial account closed out of the hundreds, if not thousands each of these websites have to support their spam bots.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Awesome! Can't wait!

P.S. about the death penalty, to me staring at DEFEATED for 20 seconds is penalty enough!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zaken73 wrote:
    I like most of the stuff besides death penalty and I am part of the community. One great thing for me about STO is the ability to just login, have fun and log out. I play game to have fun, not to get frustrated. Hopefully Cryptic can find a good way to cater to both side of the players.

Completely agree! I am having enough trouble as it is! Please no DP - for the "die hard" MMOG players (hah - punny!) give them the harder battles or more levels or something, but please let people like me who love Star Trek and quake at the thought of embarrassing themselves in a team battle just have fun flying around and feeling good about scanning anomolies and pretending to explore. :)

Geez, I'm scared to death to have these experienced players yelling at me about being such a loser in battle - I'm just a poor little Ferengi Science Researcher-wannabe looking for gold-pressed latinum.

No DP!!! I will have wasted my life sub and STO will find the great truth contained in the 286th Rule of Acquisition.

Lt. Moogie
    Captain, U.S.S. Acquisition

(That's right, I'm only a level 4 Lt. And it took a lot of respawning to get there!! :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Bejj10 wrote:
    Awesome! Can't wait!

P.S. about the death penalty, to me staring at DEFEATED for 20 seconds is penalty enough!

LOL. I'll second that!