edited January 2010
    Grantisdon wrote: »
    Who is Del Taco?

Possibly the cousin of Taco John....
  • Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    lothos wrote: »
    FOlks think MMO's started with EQ1.

Shame they missed, meridian 59, UO, Dark Sun Online, The Realm, Anagan, Moria, I could go on...but really. MMO's did exist before the web and yes they had graphics. Not all were MUD's but I played those too.

Battle City, Raider Wars
    edited January 2010
    I would just like to point out:

There are several games that have had emergency downtimes and unexpected server crashes post-maintenance, patch, or expansion. Runes of Magic and (OMG!) World of Warcraft included.

Yes, we're paying for this game. Yes, it happened to crash. Yes, they missed something. Have you ever scanned thousands of lines of code for a missing ; or &? Have you ever ran memory stress tests on 32, 64, 128, or even 512 GB of RAM? What about on 4 processors on each server, with several servers in every cluster?

I'm sure there are those of you who have (load of geeks and nerds in here, right? ;) ) and even understand that you can have a brand new computer that has been stress-tested and quadruple the power that you need to run a top-of-the-line graphics and video editing software, plus 50 MMOs at once and still have it crash the first day its run because of a minor hardware issue that wasn't caught after hours or even days of testing.

**** happens, and they're the ones who are having to wrack their brains trying to figure out why while hundreds of disgruntled gamers ***** and moan about the server being down, and under the pressure of managers or programmers or whatnot to get the entire system back up and running because time is money. Especially for anything that is on a public network.

If you want it to work well so bad, you go get the education, the degrees, the certifications, apply to Cryptic, and go into the server room and fix it your god damn self.

Yes, lets just all hug each other and make the bad feelings go away since we KNOW Cryptic is doing their best!! :p
    edited January 2010
    Be calm people...all will come in due time. I for one love the game so far and as a lifelong Trekkie and MMO'er for the past six years, this is like a dream come true for me...sorry, my geek is showing lmao
    edited January 2010
    We need to replace Scotty in the Engine room.

While I respect Scotty for his discovery of inter-warp transport. I must say they need to fire all the monkeys. And bring in some real engineers!
    edited January 2010
    Bekstorm wrote:
    Finlay someone with brain in his head, you have true man when i hit L50 in PotBS .... I got highly disappointed and now I dont have a power to go back to world of PotBS

Good advice folks watch some Star Trek movie or go out or if you have girl friend :)
    And this is exactly what I planing to do now she will be happy.
    Cya in space cowboys.
    have nice day

Allright here it is Captain Obvious. This is only partly a good advice. See we had closed Beta...we have had Open Beta and unexpected crashes at the head start early game content are just not excusable since people payed for being able to play some days ahead. And i dont plan on expecting servercrashes every day and i didn't paid to expect it. I dunno what you guys are thinking exactly by say stuff like that...you ain't gettin benefits for crawling up cryptics ***** ....anyway. This whole forum spam is senseless thats true but the server crash 1 day after headstart....where everyone is within the content that has been tested for months by thousands of players...i simply dont accept that. Try seeing it the way it is...no matter if thats a MMO or a shooter or whatever...Cryptic is running champions for quite a while now so they know what they are dealing with. This is inexcusable.
    edited January 2010
    Beliel wrote: »
    My Windows 7 doesn't crash. Check your computer.

I was just making a point, I have no issues with 7 except the game mutes when I change focus to a window on my second screen. Given MS's record and prior windows releases, you would think people would realize code is human created and sadly not tested as well as it should be. But given the number of variables of human interaction with their expected use, things happen unexpectedly and especially during the beta/pre/prod release of an MMO.
    edited January 2010
    wrote:
    Personally, I look at these situations as a GOOD thing!

Cryptic has mentioned several times that the big problem is server loading due to unexpected demand. The response in pre-orders was nearly an order of magnitude larger than what they expected in total initial sales. This game is going to be BIG.

BIG means that it likely will remain well-funded and hence will remain around. It will also have funding to keep developing new content. So it should STAY interesting.

Yeah, it's a nuisance getting started up. But I've never heard of any significant MMO that didn't have this kind of problems in the early times. But they all stabilize after a while (or they go away from lack of usage).

So you miss a few hours in the early going. If the game is good you're going to be here for months or years. What's the hurry to try to do everything at once?

And to all intents and purposes, this IS the official launch. The bulk of people who were interested in this game got in the pre-orders and got in the Open Beta. And they're here for Headstart. While there will be some new faces on retail launch, I don't think there's going to be a massive increase at that point. Most of us are already here...
    Well said, BRAVO!
    edited January 2010
    Let's hope this are the common teething problems and the servers will run more reliably in the next days.
    edited January 2010
    Ladoss wrote:
    Please... You know Sulu loves it. All those men in uniform! OMG!

Damn you, now I have to go find a towel to clean my monitor off. Spit coffee all over it.
    edited January 2010
    the cake is a lie......
    edited January 2010
    Draxon wrote:
    At least this game isn't being hosted by EA.

We wouldn't even have a forum to post to.

Or SOE

/shudder
    edited January 2010
    man, so much downtime, always during the few hours I can actually play too...
    edited January 2010
    Mondaiji wrote: »
    Are mud's MMO or are they not ... hmm i would say they are so no 1995 isnt the first.

Yes.. not in today's concept of Massively multiplayer but back then having tens, hundreds together was something!

Also played MUDs back in the day.
    edited January 2010
    Do they actually know why it keeps going down or do they just bring it up with no hope of resolving it?
    edited January 2010
    Froobra wrote: »
    pointing it out to who? who cares?

And, this is the point where the fail troll grasps for straws in desperation. Continue.
    edited January 2010
    Grantisdon wrote: »
    Who is Del Taco?

Good Question... I am thinking a Taco restaurant similar to Taco Bell... Which make me wonder why the hell a game company would affiliate themselves with a crappy Taco shack.
    edited January 2010
    Basically it's true its a MMO and every game in this area went through this. But there are only a couple of blockbuster AAA title. And Star Trek is to be entitled to be exactly one of them. This means some more information beside...EMERGENCY DOWNTIME and maybe some more clear timeframes would be really nice as we all are paying your bills.

This is not a free to register and play MMOG, this is a expensive piece of entertainment software. Currently the game and marketing are directly saying that, but customer care and stability is even worser than on many of the free to play MMOGs.

Get the damn server up again!
    edited January 2010
    Tepeu wrote:
    Do they actually know why it keeps going down or do they just bring it up with no hope of resolving it?

its went down once
    edited January 2010
    Tepeu wrote:

I am geussing that is why it takes so long to bring back up, findingout what went wrong.
    edited January 2010
    Star Trek Online from Amazon: $80
    Lifetime Subscription: $240
    Participating in Dev lynch mob: Priceless
    edited January 2010
    Tilda wrote: »
    Congratulations Lieutenant!

Oh, geeze, is it still doing that?
    edited January 2010
    So, set your power settings not to do that before you start the test? I know, it sounds crazy....

Yeah, I learned from my mistake, don't worry.
    edited January 2010
    Now 1h down just by a crash?

Every MMO i player are back online after like 15min after a crash.
    edited January 2010
    SwiftJ wrote: »
    You've got it all wrong. This is actually a surprise load test of the forum server.

LOL. We've been played!

Viva la resistance! Let's all rebel and go out for a pint. ;)
    edited January 2010
    SwiftJ wrote: »
    You've got it all wrong. This is actually a surprise load test of the forum server.

We been had.
    edited January 2010
    Lumlum wrote: »
    Damn you, now I have to go find a towel to clean my monitor off. Spit coffee all over it.

I was frankly relieved at the coffee part... was horrified with what you might have been getting to.
    edited January 2010
    Currently, the Star Trek Online Server is down. We are aware of this issue and are currently working to bring the server back online as soon as possible. Please keep an eye on this page for updates, and notification when Star Trek Online is available again. Thank you, The Star Trek Online Team

The Star Trek Online Team

News Flash like this should be in 1st line of this page. Why hide it half way down?

Thanks
    edited January 2010
    lol i hit last and see another page after it im not even reading now im just trying to get to the last page

this should become a drinking game
    edited January 2010
    Zylozeer wrote:
    Its sad that people are so used to unfinished quality they defend it like children with a 1-armed He-Man figurine.

You people that attack those that critique the 'release' need to rethink your expectations of consumer quality. Its not because people are hooked on the game like a drug (which they might be) but its because when you pay for something, it should work.

I wouldn't buy a car that has a high chance of shutting itself off for 2-hour windows randomly.

Everyone who had experience in beta testing knew what was coming. its going to get worse when the game actually releases 2/2.

Can't use 'This Is Beta!" excuse any more.

Oh and yes, you can save the, "Blah Bllaaaahhh!! if you dont like it, leave!" childish responses. I paid for the game and want to enjoy it, but at the same time I'm not a brain washed consumer with stockholm syndrome defending a broken toy. If we as consumers held companies to a higher standard, they might actually deliver.

-Z

oh well, another lost vent.

you have got to be kidding me......have you seen some of these other MMO launches? this is not at all a bad head start. Talk to some people about what it was like when EQ1 first launched or even worse AO!!!

we are defending it as it did and is doing a very good job so far in campareison to MANY other MMO launches if it was as bad or worse then them i would back you fully but ANYONE that thinks you can know what 10k-50k people logging on at 1 time with god knows how many dif types of comp setups in all parts of the world is going to do and have all bugs fixed and ready with 10 back ups of.....everything is a moron. Even you can not predict what will happen to your own computer serfing the web not with 100% even if you are a techie or a hacker you can not know for sure and that is only 1 computer that you have to deal with.
This discussion has been closed.