What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unexpected Downtime (January 30, 2010)

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Grantisdon wrote: »
    mate it's not beta anymore it's headstart

I think you need to add some skill points to your "Detect Sarcasam" skill instead of "Serious Business" tree.
    edited January 2010
    Already 500 posts and 30,000 views...

I think this game is very popular concidering this thread is only 45 mins old :p
    edited January 2010
    Dam and I came back from the Pub early just to play this, kicked the bairn aff the warcraft, and its doon....
    edited January 2010
    It might not even be Cryptic's fault, could be a denial of service attack from competitor, or some loser.

If you think about it, hitting at noon when an attacker would expect the highest probability of people being at lunch would be a time that would be picked for such a maneuver.

But that is just wild speculation it is not based on any information.
    edited January 2010
    Saeliss wrote:
    Umm keeping things running the way they are supposed to should have nothing to do with how you feel or if people are big meanies to you. It's a service you provide to customers and frankly the customers couldm't care less if you have a happy time providing them with what they are paying for.

You consider people on your servers "complainers with nothing better to do" ?? wow I'm amazed anyone puts up with you.

I said I know how it feels, I didn't say I don't consider my gamers to be important... The difference is that they are more understanding of problems arising.
    edited January 2010
    lothos wrote: »
    honestly, after having played mmo's for near 25 years now I think this excuse is a load of horse hockey. There is a reason to have beta's and such to iron out connection issues, login server loads, etc... And every "BIG" mmo can always expect a mad in*** during the opening week to two weeks and as such should maybe rent additional capacity for those two weeks to ensure a smooth launch.

Now, I know folks will whine that "this is headstart" but honestly what this is is another term for getting hard core players out the door faster and into other zones/instances before full retail release when the casuals and slower players show up.

Down times happen, and bugs get ironed out. It's an ongoing thing. The issue though is poor communication from Cryptic. From the lack of info on just about everything in game, to the website that should have been ready and available months ago to a simple eta for a crash or something.

Maybe "random playtime" should be advertised as a feature for online games then?
    edited January 2010
    I know it was wrong, thanks. I left out the 2 to make people stop and think about the post...there's a lot more info there. I corrected the post for the whiner's though. Also, for an overloaded server, you can't deny that's it's still not that bad downtime.
    edited January 2010
    Personally, I look at these situations as a GOOD thing!

Cryptic has mentioned several times that the big problem is server loading due to unexpected demand. The response in pre-orders was nearly an order of magnitude larger than what they expected in total initial sales. This game is going to be BIG.

BIG means that it likely will remain well-funded and hence will remain around. It will also have funding to keep developing new content. So it should STAY interesting.

Yeah, it's a nuisance getting started up. But I've never heard of any significant MMO that didn't have this kind of problems in the early times. But they all stabilize after a while (or they go away from lack of usage).

So you miss a few hours in the early going. If the game is good you're going to be here for months or years. What's the hurry to try to do everything at once?

And to all intents and purposes, this IS the official launch. The bulk of people who were interested in this game got in the pre-orders and got in the Open Beta. And they're here for Headstart. While there will be some new faces on retail launch, I don't think there's going to be a massive increase at that point. Most of us are already here...
    edited January 2010
    zayfard wrote: »
    Whilst I can see your point, Cryptic aren't telling us WHY we have this down time and never had. This means that people are getting fed up with this lack of comunication and, since we are not told anything else, naturaly assume it is Cryptics fault.

Even if they did come in and explain the technical problems that led to the crash, only about 2% or 3% of the user base here would actually understand what it meant, although I'm sure at least half would try and pretend to.
    edited January 2010
    whoever it was that said it was only lifers and yearlys play ur wrong i was a reg till today and i was playing if u pre-ordered the game u can play til the 2nd then u have to pay after that
    edited January 2010
    IceEmQuick wrote: »
    The only stable MMORPG that currently exists is easily EVE-Online... It has its scheduled downtime every day, but in the last 5 years of my subscribing to it has it had a server issue with me online. With the open beta, I figured that they would get this stuff ironed out, figure out they needed to beef up their hardware, but I guess thats how you make money, try to save on the hardware part....

Then you haven't played much, I've been present for 3 since Dominion. LOL
    edited January 2010
    At least this game isn't being hosted by EA.

We wouldn't even have a forum to post to.
    edited January 2010
    Sepulch wrote: »
    Euh the first mmorpg ever came in 1995, I beta tested that one at the time, your statement here is the horse hockey...

unless you count the old mudz. you know the old text based net work or online rpgs like nethack & falcons eye just to name a couple
    edited January 2010
    The Sulu Burritto at Del Taco is really good.
    edited January 2010
    Tybeta wrote:
    thx for the info. problems like this are expected to happen in a new MMO game keep up the good work

why b/c mmo's don't have to try hard or b/c mmo players don't expect games to work when they come b/c they never have in the past lol ...underachievement ftw
    edited January 2010
    khamseen wrote: »
    The people who are constantly whining that the server has crashed and it's preventing them playing really need to start pressing the power button once in a while and backing away from the PC.

MMO's are notorious for having server down time, we've only just entered head start yesterday, stop moaning and start being grateful for the time and work they are putting in.

I think we showed our gratitude by purchasing their product.

Comments like yours are pretty common during the weeks/months following an MMO launch, as are the posts filled with complaints. In your mind, when does a player have the right to legitimately complain about excessive unexpected downtimes? A week after launch? A month after launch? A year after launch?

The unexpected downtime we experienced multiple times daily towards the end of beta I ignored because it was beta. But the game has gone live now and my expectations have changed as a result of that. I think that's to be expected.
    edited January 2010
    GET A GRIP PEOPLE! I'm just as bummed as the rest of you about this downtime, being the second one of the day as i'm a UK player. But hey, the game is stilll in it;s infancy, teething trobles should be expected. this thread was up from the community rep/dev withing 15-20 mins of the server going down, for which i am greatfull. I'm sure they are doing what they can as best they can, at least they learnt some lessons from the CO release last year, that was much worse then this!

And as for people going on about being "paying customers", we haven't paid for anything yet (well, unless you've bought the lifetime sub that is) My card hasn't even been debited for my pre-order that i placed over 2 weeks ago yet, and not expecting it tobe till at least monday morning at the earliest! you have paid for nothing yet, and if you are a lifer, you are paying for a sub from launch, which is the 2nd. anything you get before that is a bonus the dev's have been kind enough to give you.
    edited January 2010
    at least its still beta beside what you all wish :D

i've sen many games at beta and release and belive me..every single one did have a rough start like this....

it kinda normal that the server burps under this stresstest situation.....

if you cant stand lag or unexpected serverdowns in a new mmog than just wait 6 months or so come back then and the lag will be gone...

a miracle?

no...just hard work of the devs...... :)
    edited January 2010
    wrote:
    Originally Posted by Angrahl
    Let's have a look at the server logfiles:

11:54PM WARNING: Too many players in admirals office, kicked 3 per instance
    11:57PM WARNING: Object "sulu" too many concurrent requests
    11:58PM WARNING: Chat queue overflow, errorcode 'whereissulu'
    12:00PM CRITICAL: Object "sulu" found by 50000 players, overheating
    12:01PM ERROR: Object "sulu" crashed in instance 1-17,23, 25-99
    12:01PM SHUTDOWN: Unrecoverable from last error (hint: hide sulu in a better place in next patch)

OK, I think we found the cause of the crash. Preparing a patch now
    I was actually the only one in the admirals office at time of crash.
    LMAO. Maybe if we have Sulu ported over to WoW, all those who are unable or unwilling to put themselves out enough to even WALK AROUND the Stardock and maybe even LOOK will leave and never come back.
    edited January 2010
    kalad wrote:
    Why should I keep watching this thread?? eventho you say you will update it you never do!!!!!!!!!

yet here you are :D
    edited January 2010
    FOlks think MMO's started with EQ1.

Shame they missed, meridian 59, UO, Dark Sun Online, The Realm, Anagan, Moria, I could go on...but really. MMO's did exist before the web and yes they had graphics. Not all were MUD's but I played those too.
    edited January 2010
    clayaqin wrote: »
    I think you need to add some skill points to your "Detect Sarcasam" skill instead of "Serious Business" tree.

Sarcasm is usually funny.
    edited January 2010
    At least some time to eat... was gettin hungry
    hmm hope it will be back on before I have to go to bed in 3-4 hrs. its 10.00 pm UST
    edited January 2010
    Grantisdon wrote: »
    Who is Del Taco?

Kirk's boyfriend
    edited January 2010
    Xvideos.com stop the spam and go waste some time ther gg ttyl:D
    edited January 2010
    After the server dropped and I hopped back into the launcher to see what was up, I was once again faced with a massive patch. Exact same thing happened with Champions Online launch. *Sigh* Disappointing they can't learn from their mistakes.
    edited January 2010
    You've got it all wrong. This is actually a surprise load test of the forum server.
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the info :) itching to play now
    edited January 2010
    I feel obligated to ask... what MMO were YOU playing 25 years ago?
    he must have meant moths, he was playing MMO's 25 months ago, otherwise he is FOS (full of....)
    edited January 2010
    Draxon wrote:
    At least this game isn't being hosted by EA.

We wouldn't even have a forum to post to.

Way to be positive :P
This discussion has been closed.