Install Arc
Options

Server down again 1/30/10 3pm est

124»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I'm so glad I don't work in customer support. Putting up with some of you **** wits would drive me over the edge. The server is down they are working on it, stop crying about it and do something productive. Based on what I've read I take it when some of you have PC troubles you just scream at the monitor till it works again :P
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Here's a good example/thought. LTS launch game on frieday only to realize one of the developer monkeys forgot to add the Liberated Borg option to the character creation screen. Then we get spammed for hours till they figure out how this could be fixed. Bad monkey no dinner for you tonight.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm so glad I don't work in customer support. Putting up with some of you **** wits would drive me over the edge. The server is down they are working on it, stop crying about it and do something productive. Based on what I've read I take it when some of you have PC troubles you just scream at the monitor till it works again :P

No we fix it and thats all we expect Cryptic to do.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have been the early adopter of many MMO's over the past decade. What we are seeing with STO is just par for the course. Every endeavor is released too soon. The fact is the developers are pressured by the publisher and investors to release the product as soon as possible to generate revenue.

That being said, I want to go down memory lane. When Everquest was launched the connection issues during the first weekend were soo bad that SoE extended the free time to play from 30 days to 60. EQ eventually went on to become the leader of MMOs until it was beat down by the 600 lb gorrilla WoW. The early days of EQ were frustrating to say the least, the developers, namely Brad McQuaid, came across as arogant and unyeilding to the player base. They were the only game out there for all practical purpose. It was not until the release of Dark Ages of Camelot did they address things like they should have ( Hell levels every 5 levels at the top of the list ). Got to love competition. At least in this day an age with the ammount of MMO's developers and companies have to acknowlege their customer base, some better then others.

One of the worst launches of all time for an MMO is without a doubt World War II online. This game had the promice to be incredible. But at launch they were unable to handle the ammount of players, thier short term solution was to have multiple servers. To this date they still have not delivered a true naval experience. But with all of the things that went wrong, the game is still going. Impart due to the developers being involved in the community.

My point? Every large scale MMO will have these issues at release. It is the price we pay as early adopters to deal with the growing pains.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Smeghead wrote: »
    Personally I'm so tired of hearing this "It's to be expected of a new MMO" excuse. Cryptic basically only makes MMO's, so they should know what to expect.
    They *do* know what to expect. It's a small number of vocal customers who didn't know what to expect.
    Especially over a highly anticipated title like Star Trek. Also this whole "WOW had the same problems and worse at launch" TRIBBLE. Oh yeah? Well that was 6 years ago and I doubt they really knew what to expect at that time since it was basically the first major MMO to come out and be so popular.
    They knew what to expect. The problems are only indirectly load related. That is, the problem is not that the load is too high and they don't have the capacity to handle it, the problem is that there are certain bugs that are only (or much likely to be) visible at high load.
    There is better hardware and knowledge of what to expect but Cryptic is doing things half assed or just being cheap and don't want to shell out some money for some stability. If your company only makes MMO's then there should be more stability than there is right now. This is just plain ridiculous. There is no excuse.... not in this day and age. As the saying goes.... "You gotta spend money to make money." I love the game. I think it's great. My only complaint is their stability issues. Server may have only crashed a couple times but a lot of people forget about those who get dropped at random times, the rubberbanding effect, and long login times. Great headstart so far. Gotta love it.
    Your complain about rubberbanding could be legitimate, your complaint about long login times is legitimate. The complaints about stability are simply absurd. Any new piece of server-side software is going to be unstable when it gets hit with large numbers of concurrent users for the first time or after major changes. There simply is no way to avoid it.

You've probably heard that a lot of people won't use a new version of Windows until its first service pack. Do you know why that is? It's because any time you majorly change how a piece of software is structured or how it's being used, new bugs will come out. No matter how much in-house testing (and even beta testing) Microsoft does, release will change the way the software is used and new bugs will appear.

There is literally nothing Cryptic could have done to make it any better.

Again, an exception might be rubberbanding. I don't know what's causing that, but it could be due to them not having enough bandwidth or overloading the machines they do have. It could also be bandwidth issues or link failover times that have nothing to do with the server side.

The login delays are likely caused by not scaling their server farm large enough, but they could also be due to scaling problems where you have enough machines, but the difficulty coordinating them creates the appearance of load problems. So that might be legitimate, we don't know.

But stability problems are the nature of the beast.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Sytek wrote:
    i hope swor is taking notes on wat NOT to do.....

Bigger companies do not take notes from smaller companies. BioWare doesn't have much to learn from Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

True, after all, people who have paid $67.00-ish dollars or more won't complain when the product doesn't work.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have been the early adopter of many MMO's over the past decade. What we are seeing with STO is just par for the course. Every endeavor is released too soon. The fact is the developers are pressured by the publisher and investors to release the product as soon as possible to generate revenue.

That being said, I want to go down memory lane. When Everquest was launched the connection issues during the first weekend were soo bad that SoE extended the free time to play from 30 days to 60. EQ eventually went on to become the leader of MMOs until it was beat down by the 600 lb gorrilla WoW. The early days of EQ were frustrating to say the least, the developers, namely Brad McQuaid, came across as arogant and unyeilding to the player base. They were the only game out there for all practical purpose. It was not until the release of Dark Ages of Camelot did they address things like they should have ( Hell levels every 5 levels at the top of the list ). Got to love competition. At least in this day an age with the ammount of MMO's developers and companies have to acknowlege their customer base, some better then others.

One of the worst launches of all time for an MMO is without a doubt World War II online. This game had the promice to be incredible. But at launch they were unable to handle the ammount of players, thier short term solution was to have multiple servers. To this date they still have not delivered a true naval experience. But with all of the things that went wrong, the game is still going. Impart due to the developers being involved in the community.

My point? Every large scale MMO will have these issues at release. It is the price we pay as early adopters to deal with the growing pains.

You are correct. I played early EQ for 4 years but they got beat down by WoW because they didn't listen to their client base. Actually they did they just didn't care and people responed by going somewhere they were welcomed. I left EQ b4 WoW. Plus EQ was a pioneer in MMO and that was 15 years ago, were is progress? We are only complaining because we care about STO future
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Rojor wrote:
    We are only complaining because we care about STO future

I Agree 1000% It is so Sad to see a Co. Ruinin something that could be so good. But History has showed us that a Co. can do it easy. Go from having a Mill to maybe 6,ooo Sub's. But hey only time will tell I'm giving them a Month Guess they won't change there Stupid TRIBBLE server set-up. But hopefully they at least Fix this stupid Set up so it work's.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Rojor wrote:
    You are correct. I played early EQ for 4 years but they got beat down by WoW because they didn't listen to their client base. Actually they did they just didn't care and people responed by going somewhere they were welcomed. I left EQ b4 WoW. Plus EQ was a pioneer in MMO and that was 15 years ago, were is progress? We are only complaining because we care about STO future

Complaining too much when you care about something doesn't help. Bug reports, network issues reports and game suggestions coming from what you'd like are what helps but the walls of unimportant text should be slammed elsewhere is what I think. They should create a forum rant and complains while they moderate super strictly every other forums... ya, genius idea to clear posts that have nothing to do with the meat of the problems. :p
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It is actually 30/01/10 why do Americans insist on being the only country in the world to put the month first, for such a technically advanced country you can be so backwards.

you say the 30th of january
    we say january 30th

you say tomato
    I say tomato

hmmm, not the same impact in print is it....
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm really glade that we are all getting the most of the this head start weekend
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Darkrau wrote:
    U are a Idoit I hate to call anyone that but hey. Pre-Order mean's we paid . The pre-order was told they would get a Headstart and a Month Sub. While we are losing our Headstart and soon to be losing our Paid month with Game. Which I'm not even *****in about I understand that MMO's have Bump's. But when u Havee a Huge Bug like the FPS 0.0000 Heatin Fx Card to the point of replacement and One Zone only for say 300,000 Plus ppl.Then there is going to be more Problems. U can't make a IP game like SW or ST and think u will only have 80,000 ppl on. But we are paid so don't say that no one paid. Because that is just being stupid.

Read my post again cry baby. I never said no one paid. I said and I was replying to the lead post because he said he had paid $239.99. That was what he paid to his account for the life time subscription, NOT to play on Head Start. Head Start was for people who pre-ordered the game like me.

But....I wasn't stupid enough to buy into the lifetime subscriptions because there are a few games out there still barely hanging on life and some who have died because of bad starts.

Why the hell anyone would buy into the lifetime without knowing what your getting is just plain STUPID and I am laughing all the way to the next game that comes out.

LOLOLOLOL:D
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You paid lifetime $$ so you would never have to pay for a monthly fee to play this game... you did not buy something that was presenting itself as perfect, or ready for launch.... You saw the package before you bought it... so dont complain that the package doesnt meet your expectations now that you have paid for it... you paid for a long term investment and your getting mad because the instant gratification isnt there. Maybe you should have thought about what you were buying before you bought it? This game has a ton of flaws.... yes most will be hashed out over the next few years... this is what happens when a company doesnt spend even a solid two years making a game. Then look at Blizzard or Bioware and the three years plus they spend before releasing a game... even they have issues. So relax... if this game is fun to you then you have no worries other then not being able to get into the game right now.... if your problem is the entire package... then wtf did you buy lifetime membership for? a borg look??
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    swag-nyc wrote: »
    you say the 30th of january
    we say january 30th

you say tomato
    I say tomato

hmmm, not the same impact in print is it....

Yes but you are the only country on the planet to do that, even the barbaric cave painting text russians put the date in the correct format.
This discussion has been closed.