What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Server down again 1/30/10 3pm est

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    It is actually 30/01/10 why do Americans insist on being the only country in the world to put the month first, for such a technically advanced country you can be so backwards.

I never thought about it that way. I guess Americans like myself have other, more important things to worry about other than a simple date format what can be easily changed at any moment.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ekilo wrote: »
    Captain, sensors are detecting large quantities of fail in that post.

Today however, is day two and it is a giant ball of excrement. If day one went well then it stands to reason that day two would be similar.

The person is still right though, Anyone expecting a new MMORPG to work perfectly even in its first month, let alone first few days needs to get a reality check.

Many of the people *****ing, I am sure have never played an MMORPG before, or at least not at its release.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'll tell u right now this 1 Zone running off a bunch of Sub Server's is Straight up ********!!! I want diff server's not just 1 Big Mess so they can SAVE MONEY and TRIBBLE everyone and make money off ppl. The Overload BS where we get rubberband and 2 min. Load screen's isn't fun or Fair for us who are paing your Co. to keep u in a Job in a Deprestion. This is so they can Charge everyone for xtra slot's and keep everyone from know just what they are pushin on us. I Like to have a Aussa Server for weekend and a EST Server for weekday's where of corse I would have 2 toon on each.Since they think 2 slot is enough with out paing more money because 57. Dollor's and Your Sub 240. or what every u paid isn't enough. While let me tell u. U better hope ppl don't start on 2.2.10 and wait till u Get your S??? in Gear. Because u should have looked at the Big Picture which is 13 dollors a Month time's say even a Tenth o (hate to say WoW) WoW sub's would have made u Great money in a year let alone 5-6 year's. But when u pull out this BS like it's a FTP MMO Where u Pay Cash for Slot's, Bank, and Item is a Greedy BS Move. I Love this game But I think I would like to just ARRRRRRR While I going stop *****in.I Thott this was going to be someting I plaied for Years Maybe I was wwrong which upset me dearly.:(
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's obvious most of the problems are caused by lack of server bandwidth. So simple solution... get more servers... or better ones. Actually... just get more better servers. I'd recommend 3 times the amount of servers they're using now. Not like they can't afford it. They're going to have to support everyone playing now and then future players who join in. I mean... just seems like common sense. You'd think nowadays you'd get enough hardware to support more than enough people, but it seems like they're trying to play it safe or some TRIBBLE. I just know this type of frequent login troubles and lag and crashes are turning me away from this game more and more. I was hoping this MMO would be THE ONE that I would actually spend money to play. Just not looking too good at this point. I'm really looking forward to Bad Company 2 now... sigh.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i dont think its such a bad thing that the server goes down now? better to do it now than when your in a 50 player instance eeeeekkkkkkkks? :D

I do know and feel for every one the server going down is not nice but hey peeps give the devs a break they are after all only human, klingon, borg ect ect?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I believe Cryptic was hit with an Alpha Strile:

Hit with phailsers, some phailton torpedos and the some one had attack pattern phailta to boot.

Whoever was running the Cryptic ship needed to rotate phails, and emergency power to phails to avoid the crash.

Ohh well, guess they're respawning.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Look, I'm a Lifetime subscriber too but you people need to stop b*ching and relax. Almost EVERY MMORPG has issues like this at the beginning.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The month goes first because the general point you are within the year is most important, followed by the day, since specificity can be necessary. The year goes at the end because most things are short term enough that they might be assumed to be in a given year, so for non-historical things the year is less relevant information. It's all perfectly logical.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    LJ wrote: »
    Relax... it's post open beta dude... it's still post open beta. They're gonna fix it at launch, or post launch.

BS! This is the finished product. This is NOT their first MMO, they knew exactly how many people pre-ordered. They either don't want to fix server issues so techs can squeeze out more payroll money or the company doesn't want to spend the money on a proper server that will handle the load. Maybe their lead tech is in rehab or jail, what ever the issue is I am getting pretty put out by this. IMO they would save money by adding servers compared to paying 5 monkey's to smoke dubies while waiting for the servers to crash and burn.

After launch what will the excuse be? Its a new game and they need time to work out the bugs? I'll go along with that but what good is content or bug fixes if you cant stay on the game? It may be a new game but it is by NO means the first MMO and these issues are well documented and known.

There is NO excuse for this. Sadly instead of evaluating Cryptics issues or lack of, I need to evaluate my decision on if I should stay. A borg is not so ubber that I need to sacrifice $240 for a game I can not stay logged into.

And Monday is my last day to cancle/return my purchases so this weekend will decide for me.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Darksider wrote: »
    Its just frustrating.... Im gonna stick with Cryptic for a while because I love Star Trek but this is not a good omen. I know the whole "every MMO is like this at launch" comments will follow. I can say though that as ****** as WAR was at least personally for me it was a very smooth beta and launch. Im sure people had other experiences though. I can only report on what I personally experienced.

Cryptic, I keep the faith, but many are putting STO on a short leash, me included.:(

was that their first or second beta? they had a beta, it failed miserably, ultimately delayed the game for a while, then had another beta. so yeah...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It is actually 30/01/10 why do Americans insist on being the only country in the world to put the month first, for such a technically advanced country you can be so backwards.

Because we can. You sound bitter, did your Green Card get denied?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    First of all...

No MMO has a smooth launch. For all of the "WoW" players out there..it was one of the WORST launches ever.

Give them a break, yesterday was great..aside from some very minor issues which were taken care of.

Secondly, SWTOR...sorry to tell you..but its not the "Holy Grail" of MMO's coming out. I can promise you with the amount of hype and people who want to play, expect the exact same issues during beta and launch.

The Star Trek Online team has been nothing but courteous with its customer base,giving us updates and rolling out fixes to the issues as soon as humanly possible. It's time the player base give something back to the people who work hard to make sure you have a Star Trek MMO you are able to play, and rip apart because it's not YOUR vision of what Star Trek Online should be.

I'm not saying constructive feedback isn't necessary, it's how a game changes and evolves and how things get fixed. But to post something like " OMG!!!!1 This game suckorz and i'll never play again because of (insert example here)" is a bit much.

It's better to get the server stability and bug issues taken care of now , before the real launch day starts.

Give them a break ok?

And yes I am a paying customer as well...but just because my cable goes out or I don't get that extra slice of pickle on my hamburger, doesn't make me want to try and flame the company. Stuff happens... take a pill, have a coke and relax :D
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ok enough of this. I paid $239.99 to play the game. The server being down now is pathetic it's not even when the largest group of people are on that would be 2.2.10. I don't care if ti's the weekend. Cryptic needs to haul their people back into the office and make this run right.

*Note the above post is a vent, your opinion on the above post means something only to you.

Technically speaking subscription periods don't start until the 2nd... so you having a lifetime subscription is irrelevant. But ***** on. You need practice.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Look, I'm a Lifetime subscriber too but you people need to stop b*ching and relax. Almost EVERY MMORPG has issues like this at the beginning.

You tell 'em Mr. SeriousPants!!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    optyk wrote: »
    Because we can. You sound bitter, did your Green Card get denied?

Why get a green card when I can make money without paying taxes and still have full medical benifits?
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I actually favor yyyy/mm/dd, but obviously to do that would confuse people even more. :D
    But it's how numerical progression and time works; putting the quickest-incrementing number on the right.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's better to get the server stability and bug issues taken care of now , before the real launch day starts.

Give them a break ok?

It's even better when these issues are taken care of during Beta. I'm sure they wouldn't give us a break if we were late coughing up the monthly fee. Stop making excuses for a corporation,
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Rojor wrote:
    Why get a green card when I can make money without paying taxes and still have full medical benifits?

Very true... lol. Damn it.:o
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I love this game! It's awesome, and more than I expected when I heard it was finally launching. I don't mind the problems, I believe Cryptic is doing it's utmost to get them fixed. Honestly, what company is going to fail to put it's most into providing the product it promised. They know gamers talk. So all I have to say is ROCK ON, CRYPTIC! Do what you have to do, the fans and diehards will be waiting.

Now isn't it nice to see something positive for once on the forums?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    What are you guys missing? People are not complaining about the game itself simply the fact the game will not stay up.

MMO's have been around for over 15 years and their is no valid excuse for servers being down this much.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Rojor wrote:
    BS! This is the finished product. This is NOT their first MMO, they knew exactly how many people pre-ordered. They either don't want to fix server issues so techs can squeeze out more payroll money or the company doesn't want to spend the money on a proper server that will handle the load. Maybe their lead tech is in rehab or jail, what ever the issue is I am getting pretty put out by this. IMO they would save money by adding servers compared to paying 5 monkey's to smoke dubies while waiting for the servers to crash and burn.

After launch what will the excuse be? Its a new game and they need time to work out the bugs? I'll go along with that but what good is content or bug fixes if you cant stay on the game? It may be a new game but it is by NO means the first MMO and these issues are well documented and known.

There is NO excuse for this. Sadly instead of evaluating Cryptics issues or lack of, I need to evaluate my decision on if I should stay. A borg is not so ubber that I need to sacrifice $240 for a game I can not stay logged into.

And Monday is my last day to cancle/return my purchases so this weekend will decide for me.

Totally agree. They've been here before with other releases, they should have been better prepared. We're getting NO COMMUNICATION, and these so called fixes are not being listed in any viewable changelog online. Part of me actually believes they're not fixing anything as it's purely a server problem they're looking into. They really should have sorted this out - You all saw what it was like on the day of Headstart. That was JUST those who pre-ordered it.

Come Tuesday when most of the US & Canada purchase this game to play online we're going to be hit hard. Then we'll still be in the same situation we're in now.

Why are so many people so quick to defend this company when they already have our money - and it's still rolling in - and they can't even be bothered to secure enough server farms for the people who are playing right now, let alone come Tuesday.

This has been one big sh!tstorm from start to finish.

We need answers from the devs. This lack of communication is really getting on my last nerve. How many devs just it take to ensure a stable server? All of you. Apparently. How many devs does it take to add a changelog and update the community to what's going on? None. They can't be bothered.

So glad I didn't order the lifetime / Annual - month by month is enough for me... if they last that long to keep me occupied.

Roll on the D.O.C (Defenders Of Cryptic)...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Rojor wrote:

Im curious what country you live in. I would love to not pay tax and get healthcare. So far every country Ive looked at that has medical care, charges tax to workers to cover it....unless the money is under the table, but then TRIBBLE it, most countries are doable
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    skunkyuk wrote:
    It's even better when these issues are taken care of during Beta. I'm sure they wouldn't give us a break if we were late coughing up the monthly fee. Stop making excuses for a corporation,

Again...

No MMO launch ever goes smooth.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    All you complainers are showing your maturity. So what if you paid 239.99. They didn't have to create head start. The head start was for the pre-order, not your damn subscription.

I have seen these kinds of starts in many games and most likely, you cry babies were still crying because you wet your diaper. They always make it up to you. So you little spoiled brats, shut up and sit back and wait for your bottle, It's coming.

Plus, hey here's an idea. Read the agreements once in a while you'll find that they don't have to bow down to you or give you a bottle.

I hate the start of new games. They always start off with us having to listen to the crying, the lanauage in the game because you have no other way to communicate without using the F -word. Plus we are stuck looking at all the idiots who

"OH MY GOSH WHERE IS IT, I DIDN'T KNOW?"

Cap using kiddies
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    RavenSeven wrote: »
    I love this game! It's awesome, and more than I expected when I heard it was finally launching. I don't mind the problems, I believe Cryptic is doing it's utmost to get them fixed. Honestly, what company is going to fail to put it's most into providing the product it promised. They know gamers talk. So all I have to say is ROCK ON, CRYPTIC! Do what you have to do, the fans and diehards will be waiting.

Now isn't it nice to see something positive for once on the forums?

This message has been brought to you by Cryptic tm. INC. we're Cryptic INC. and we endorse this message."
    JK bro but i had to :P
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    HardDrive2 wrote:
    Im curious what country you live in. I would love to not pay tax and get healthcare. So far every country Ive looked at that has medical care, charges tax to workers to cover it....unless the money is under the table, but then TRIBBLE it, most countries are doable

I live in the USA and what most people understood my piont was, as long as you can get cross the boarder you are better off not getting a green card. But what a lot of people don't understand is that a new american citizen gets a 5 year tax free break. Yes that is correct!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    RavenSeven wrote: »
    Honestly, what company is going to fail to put it's most into providing the product it promised.

Bethesda. Star Trek: Legacy. History can repeat itself.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I've played every mmorpg except ultima online and none has ever been smooth at launch because it is part of the process to evualuate the condition of the network, the number of machines needed to reinforce the cluster and all problems related to the game. There is no magic number but only constant re-evaluation of the needs. No white paper can tell you what it will be for YOUR game, ever. Let's see, Everquest completely burnt their servers overloaded because no one could tell what success the game would know, this is not like it changed over the years. Hype and gamers are something unpredictable.

I know gamers want to play their game but this is a bad habbit and manners people have to call names at others because they do their jobs and they bring down the server when it needs to be updated. If you are deciding in only a few days to play or not during a game release just because of the number of times they are bringing down the servers and working on fixes... delusions, that's all there is. You're not fit for the online genre if you can't deal with problems every online games have to overcome.

This is not a console game and network is another big factor that brings a lot of trouble on top of the regular bugs and problems.

As far as gameplay goes this is the best game this year and I don't regret being a lifetime subscriber and purchasing many boxes for bonus items. Character creation and customization is fun and I hope they add a hundred more skins and color tones to their editor.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    yeah stability is really bad. Maybe more hamsters needed?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Personally I'm so tired of hearing this "It's to be expected of a new MMO" excuse. Cryptic basically only makes MMO's, so they should know what to expect. Especially over a highly anticipated title like Star Trek. Also this whole "WOW had the same problems and worse at launch" TRIBBLE. Oh yeah? Well that was 6 years ago and I doubt they really knew what to expect at that time since it was basically the first major MMO to come out and be so popular. This is 2010. Give me a break. There is better hardware and knowledge of what to expect but Cryptic is doing things half assed or just being cheap and don't want to shell out some money for some stability. If your company only makes MMO's then there should be more stability than there is right now. This is just plain ridiculous. There is no excuse.... not in this day and age. As the saying goes.... "You gotta spend money to make money." I love the game. I think it's great. My only complaint is their stability issues. Server may have only crashed a couple times but a lot of people forget about those who get dropped at random times, the rubberbanding effect, and long login times. Great headstart so far. Gotta love it.
This discussion has been closed.