Options

System Requirements

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Thanks!

What about a laptop with:
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Quad Core Processor 1.6GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)
    Video: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450 1GB

Will this video card be enough to run STO.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Supastar wrote:
    Thanks!

What about a laptop with:
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Quad Core Processor 1.6GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)
    Video: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450 1GB

Will this video card be enough to run STO.

Yeh my laptop runs it and it doesn't have a graphics card even that good.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    How much RAM are you running?? 2 or 4 GBs?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Supastar wrote:
    How much RAM are you running?? 2 or 4 GBs?

I have never seen a Core i7 notebook only ship with 2gb of ram. They do ship with 3Gb as a minimum usually. Some Core i7 (pre-clarksdale) have triple channel memory and only come with 3 or 6Gb of ram. Clarksdale i7's typically have dual channel, and have a minimum of 4Gb in shipping pre-builts.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I have never seen a Core i7 notebook only ship with 2gb of ram.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834110404
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    CPU: Sockel 478 Intel Pentium 4 Prescott 3,2 Mhz 1024kb Cache
    AGP: ATI 3850 Sapphire
    Ram : 2 GB Dual PC 3200
    Sound Audigy 4 Pro

Windows 7 Ultimat

Go
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    im running on a toshibe l300 window 7 with a 1.66 celeron cpu and 4 gbs of ram and a 128 mb intel graphics card and the game runs fine
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    intel p4 single core 3.4ghz
    2gb ddr2 pc-4200
    7600 gt

any chance of it workingnot my main pc, its s friend and hes wants to play sto, as long as it runs on lowest should be ok if not oh well
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    What Laptops would be reccomended for this? my PC hasent been fixed yet and all i have is my Inspiron 1525, and it is below the requirements...
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    intel p4 single core 3.4ghz
    2gb ddr2 pc-4200
    7600 gt

any chance of it workingnot my main pc, its s friend and hes wants to play sto, as long as it runs on lowest should be ok if not oh well

For what it's worth, I have the game working on a P4 3.0 GHz, with 1 GB RAM and a Radeon 9800Pro... Doesn't look pretty, but it runs.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    While the performance is not stellar i have successfully installed and played with

A 2.4 Ghz Pentium 4
    1.5 Gig Ram
    and a 4x AGP Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT OC

at 800x600 rez on low detail
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Stalinite wrote:
    While the performance is not stellar i have successfully installed and played with...

You necroed a month-old thread to tell us what you play on? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So im in the market for a laptop. Id like it to be a good one with some gaming power. I NEED it to play sto smoothly and have graphics on atleast medium to high. Im not going over $1300.

id appreciate suggestions!

im considering the Asus N71JQ-A1. Nice warranty, nice extras, and (i think??) good hardware.
    is the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 good enough?

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So im in the market for a laptop. Id like it to be a good one with some gaming power. I NEED it to play sto smoothly and have graphics on atleast medium to high. Im not going over $1300.

id appreciate suggestions!

Thanks!

Asus - Laptop / Intel® Core™ i7 Processor / 17.3" Display / 6GB Memory / 500GB Hard Drive - Black $1,299.99. It has a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 graphics which should allow you to run this really will. It also supports the newer DirectX 11 games so it has better longevity.

Also,
    Asus - Laptop with Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor - Black $999.99. It has a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M

What you should be looking for is the graphic chip. Stay away from Intel! Go with a higher end ATI or Nvidia GPUs. Check Notebookcheck for the list of mGPUs. I would suggest at least a med/high class 2 or any class 1 GPUs.

Comparison of Graphic Cards

Also check out newegg and search for ASUS Laptops.
    ASUS N61JQ-X1 NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz) 16" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 $1,049.99.

Those ASUS laptops are a good deal.
    im considering the Asus N71JQ-A1. Nice warranty, nice extras, and (i think??) good hardware.
    is the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 good enough?

Sorry I didn't read this part. Yes the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 is good enough but the ASUS I listed first has a even better GPU ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 and more RAM at the same price point. Newegg list the Asus N71JQ-A1 at $1,299.99.

The 5730 is a high end class 2 GPU where the 5870 is a high end class 1 GPU. I would go with the 5870 GPU.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Should be able to play it on that Asus. I can play on my laptop.

Asus G72GX

core 2 p8700 2.53 ghz
    6 gigs of ram
    nice 17.3" screen
    and a GeForce GTX 260m 1gig video mem.

Though I prefer to play on my desktop...:D

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
    i5-650 3.2 oc'ed to 4.25ghz
    4 gigs of ddr3
    2x ATI Radeon 5770's in crossfire
    Coolermaster hyper 212 cpu cooler

Even with the tower it was still under $1000 total...I love microcenter.

32" LG (32LG70) running at 1080p

Its fun but I still want more

I run everything full on. With Zune running in the background and at least one Firefox window running in the background so I can hunt down info.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the insight. I looked at all your suggested laptops and best buy sells them cheaper because the Asus warrantys arent included.

Id call myself a light pc gamer, so i think ill go with the N71JQ-X1. Itll handle sto atleast on medium and amazon sells it (with warrantys) for about 1100.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hi again! So ive done more research and im interested in the MSI E7405-080US.

http://www.msimobile.com/level3_productpage.aspx?cid=6&id=220

Thoughts? Comments? Better choice then the N71JQ-X1?

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I was just researching a replacement video card for my desktop system (nVIDIA GTX 260), so I've been reading a large number of fresh reviews on the subject that deal with both the standard and mobile versions. The ATI HD 5870 has more than enough 'horsepower' for this game and your maximum resolutions, so you'll have solid framerates. I almost went for an ATI HD 5850 myself, but went with an nVIDIA GTX 460 SC from eVGA to get the best bang for my desktop buck in the end. The ATI HD 5870 is an excellent design, and the DX11 support is a must for longevity.

Here's a nice 'general' guideline for anyone interested:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-radeon-hd-geforce-gtx,2676-7.html
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I was just researching a replacement video card for my desktop system (nVIDIA GTX 260), so I've been reading a large number of fresh reviews on the subject that deal with both the standard and mobile versions. The ATI HD 5870 has more than enough 'horsepower' for this game and your maximum resolutions, so you'll have solid framerates. I almost went for an ATI HD 5850 myself, but went with an nVIDIA GTX 460 SC from eVGA to get the best bang for my desktop buck in the end. The ATI HD 5870 is an excellent design, and the DX11 support is a must for longevity.

Totally agree with you. I am thinking about getting the GTX 460 also.
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Thanks!
    Looks good to me. But it's band new so there is no reviews out yet. I would prefer some reviews.
  • Options
    edited July 2010

What you're looking at has more than enough grunt to run STO. But I agree the GTX460 would be great.
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Thanks!

That should run it excellently, you should be very happy with it. When this game first came out I went out and bought a new laptop replacement so I could play it at university. Asus 17 inch Core2Quad Q9900 (2ghz) with 6gb ram, 7 64bit, 640gb and the Nvidia GTX260 I can crank the graphics all the way up without any hangups Love it.
    The computer it was replacing, an HP core 2 duo T9800 2.5ghz, 3gb ram, vista 32bit, Nvidia Geforce 8400mGS (only 256mb) runs it a medium settings well.

So just in summary the MSI should run this well and be able to run anything for the foreseeable future. Though i do not know much about the ATI card in it, it is HD compliant so it shouldn't struggle. Just remember that expecting the exact same performance from a laptop as from a desktop is asking the impossible given it's size and cooling abilities.

Best of luck with your new computer and your adventures in STO.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for all your help! I played sto on my sucky desktop until a little after season 1 came out. It barely was able to handle it. I struggled to play with the lag until I reached Admiral. But then i stopped playing because It just wasnt fun with the sucky graphics. I cant wait to be at the helm of my Sovvie again(without half resolution turned on...lol)

Cheers!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    For those interested in the GTX 460, I'm providing some info:

7/12/2010: http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-review/

7/12/2010: http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/graphics/graphics/evga-releases-its-geforce-gtx-460-lineup

7/21/2010: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/34422-evga-gtx-460-1gb-superclocked-ee-external-exhaust-review.html

This is the card I ordered and currently have installed in my system. I went for the lifetime warranty:

EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SuperClocked 1024MB EE (External Exhaust)
    Part Number 01G-P3-1373-AR
    Core Clock Speed 763MHz
    Processing Cores 336
    Memory Clock Speed 3800MHz
    Memory Bandwidth 121.6GB/sec
    Shader Clock Speed 1526MHz
    Bus PCI-E 2.0
    Interface DVI-I, DVI-I, Mini-HDMI
    Product Warranty Limited Lifetime warranty
    upon registration
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hi, Just finished installing STO on my HP mini 210 Netbook

Specs :-

Intel Atom N450 1.66 CPU (Pinetrail)
    2 GB DDR2 800 Ram
    250 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
    Intel GMA 3150 Graphics With 256 MB Ram

After patching etc. etc.

Ran game with all settings at low on native screen resolution 1024 x 600 and half resolution on game graphics was getting about 2 fps on game with everything on minimum.

So will not run on a netbook of this spec.

Looked really promising on start screen though!

Hope this helps with any queries.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sorry it won't run adequately on a netbook but I'm not surprised, tbh. It would have been kinda neat though.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm having trouble with this subject.

Startrek installs, and opens STO and gets to the create character screen, you can click create character but thats about it.

Once it gets to the career selections screen the computer is frozen

I have the min. required specs on my system and STO works perfectly
    I'm helping a friend aka new subscriber who has similar specs and we cannot get the game working at all.
    Just freezes as described above

I have AMD x2 3800+
    He has AMD x2 3800+

I have 2GB dual channel ram
    He has 1.5 Dual channel ram 4) slots with 2)512 dual channel and 2)256 dual channel ram totally 1.5GB

I have nvidia 8400 GS pci-e type
    He has nvidia 8400 GS pci regular, however when the system boots the initial text on the video startup screen says PCI express, however I know for sure it's not a PCI express card because it's installed in a pci slot so there is no pci-e or pci express slots on his board.

I have windows xp home 32bit
    He has windows xp professional 32bit

Anyhow the specs of both machines are very similar and should work as they exceed the min. requirements.

Sorry for the long descriptions but this is bugging me.
    A fresh install of windows XP professional and virus software with all updates nothing else installed.
    And all the latest directx 9c and nvidia drivers.

Startrek installs, and opens STO and gets to the create character screen, you can click create character but thats about it.

I've tried various video settings and changes with no effect,
    I changed nvidia to performance vs quality and no effect, or well little effect.
    I was able to actually click on one of the career buttons but then froze as before essentially NO effect.

Please advise what I might do to try and get the game going on this machine.
    If anyone knows ? I have had no luck with this on google searches etc.

I'm considering installing updated firmware on the vid card etc. to try that out ? Never did it but worth a try I guess.

Anyhow please advise
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hey all-
    I need some advice on a desktop. The Dell Studio XPS 7100. Im sold on everything but the gpu. Is an ati hd 5670 good enough to play STO? Is it worth it to spend an extra 80 bucks for a 5770? Im on a tight budget and am so tired of this endless technological research. Anyway, id appreciate any input. Thanks.
    Rear Admiral Malcom Ziran
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Captain86 wrote: »
    I'm having trouble with this subject.

I have the min. required specs on my system and STO works perfectly
    I'm helping a friend aka new subscriber who has similar specs and we cannot get the game working at all.
    Just freezes as described above

I have AMD x2 3800+
    He has AMD x2 3800+

I have 2GB dual channel ram
    He has 1.5 Dual channel ram 4) slots with 2)512 dual channel and 2)256 dual channel ram totally 1.5GB

I have nvidia 8400 GS pci-e type
    He has nvidia 8400 GS pci regular, however when the system boots the initial text on the video startup screen says PCI express, however I know for sure it's not a PCI express card because it's installed in a pci slot so there is no pci-e or pci express slots on his board.

I have windows xp home 32bit
    He has windows xp professional 32bit

Anyhow the specs of both machines are very similar and should work as they exceed the min. requirements.

Sorry for the long descriptions but this is bugging me.
    A fresh install of windows XP professional and virus software with all updates nothing else installed.
    And all the latest directx 9c and nvidia drivers.

I've tried various video settings and changes with no effect,
    I changed nvidia to performance vs quality and no effect, or well little effect.
    I was able to actually click on one of the career buttons but then froze as before essentially NO effect.

Please advise what I might do to try and get the game going on this machine.
    If anyone knows ? I have had no luck with this on google searches etc.

I'm considering installing updated firmware on the vid card etc. to try that out ? Never did it but worth a try I guess.

Anyhow please advise
    Thanks

The 8400 is not the best for gaming but I think you might be able to do it because you have PCI-E and he doesn't. Here sort of explains the difference but the PCI can only transfer so much.

http://www.askageek.com/2007/05/09/pci-vs-pci-express/
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Good morning.

I am new on here and to the game, played 5 day demo and have waited fr a few months before buying this game. I have been a mac boy for years (trysty little power book G4) and finally had to bite the bullet and build PC so I can finally play this game. i have had a custom machine built:

Configuration

* CPU: Intel® Core™ i3 540 3.06GHZ 4MB L3 Cache LGA1156
    * HDD: 750GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
    * MOTHERBOARD: GigaByte P55M-UD2 Intel P55 Chipset CrossFireX DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB2.0, SATA-II RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 3 PCI
    * MEMORY: 2GB (2x1GB) PC12800 DDR3/1600mhz Dual Channel Memory
    * 600 W PSU

now I am not a pc expert and a mate helped me build this. what I need folks is graphics cards (and monitor later) I have been trawling reviews, this website , toms hardware ect and I am looking at either the gtx 260...which seems to be fading out or not being made as much, or the gtx 460. their near enough the same price. I currently have a 600 W PSU so know I will probably need to upgrade to 700 if getting the 460. the company that has build this however has said to go for ATI 5770 as less power requirements and close to gts 250 / gtx 260

now if i am aiming way too high then tell me. considering this will be the main and only game for time being then maybe a smaller card like 9800 or 250 would be fine, or settle for the 5770 :)

i am just confused. i feel the 460 would be good and worth the investment. slightly worried about settings and resolution but can do that later, but i dont want to make the machine like the USS Defiant....overpowered and over gunned for a ship that size"

budget is around 600 quid really - the system i have bought was 400, so 200 for gpu and monitor

if any of you wonderful folk out there can put me out my misery then I would greatly appreciate it.:o

regards

McPeedster
This discussion has been closed.