test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Question about the Temporal Recruit

drewby2312312312drewby2312312312 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
So I'm a returning player, been knocking about STO since it first launched but had a long break from it. On return its changed a lot for the better. I've loved the Delta Recruit contents but I really want to start a TOS character but I would rather do it when the temporal recruit event is running, for obvious reasons. My question is this:

How regularly are the temporal recruit events and do we know when the next one is due to drop on PC next in 2024?
(Apologies if this has been asked some other place)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• baucoinbaucoin Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited May 30
    They have been running the Temporal recruit event pretty much yearly now.
    Here are the past dates for PC

July 6th, 2016 - August 24th, 2016
    September 8th, 2021 - October 7th, 2021
    September 6th, 2022 - October 4th, 2022
    June 8th, 2023 - June 29th, 2023

So, I'd say sometime during the summer or fall if they keep the trend going.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,911 Arc User
    I think after this evewnt will be the summer event followed by Temp Recruit, but that's just a guess
    sig.jpg
  • drewby2312312312drewby2312312312 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Appreciate the replies. Cheers folks. I shall wait with baited breath!!!
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,626 Arc User
    edited May 31
    Also, they usually put the uniforms and faction starter packs on sale when it starts or soon after. You can get the Paladin cheap in the Temporal Special Agent Pack when it is on sale, then buy the Ranger to give it a TOS skin during a ship sale: https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Paladin_Temporal_Battlecruiser

Of course if you have a token from a prior mega-event or own the Mudd's choice pack, you can go straight for a T6 Connie.

Finally, if you sell off episode rewards and loot drops you can buy TOS type 1 pistols, type 3 rifles, the photon mortar kit module (if playing an Engineer), and some blue TOS twin phaser banks all at Mark 1 while you are in the past, to level up once you travel forward in time. Another way to get the blue phaser banks is to buy the low-level Connie from the C-Store since it can be dismissed and reclaimed to get more beams.
    I did treat myself (And bankrupted myself at the same time) by getting the 10th Anniversary Bundle just recently so I'm prepped to go with my T6 Connie!
    edited June 12
    I did treat myself (And bankrupted myself at the same time) by getting the 10th Anniversary Bundle just recently so I'm prepped to go with my T6 Connie!

Nice! Remember to get those TOS phasers for your away team while in the TOS era spacedock. Buy mark 1s and level them up later. The phaser rifle is TOSriffic and so is the wide beam hand phaser with its blue cone of doom.

You'll be given some phasers but they're missing the wide / stun part and will be bound to character instead of account bound once they reach green rarity.

I'm sure, back in the day, I bought a bundle of some kind that gives me as many Type II TOS phaser pistols as I want. I'll just grab a few rifles I can then level up once I hit 65... If and when we finally get news about the Temporal Recruit event returning that is!
    I'm sure, back in the day, I bought a bundle of some kind that gives me as many Type II TOS phaser pistols as I want. I'll just grab a few rifles I can then level up once I hit 65... If and when we finally get news about the Temporal Recruit event returning that is!

Sounds like the 23rd Century Bundle that comes with many uniforms, the type F shuttle, and ToS bridge. You can claim as many Type 2 phasers as you want. However, when you upgrade those they become mk XII common rarity. If you buy the mk 1's back in the 23 and start upgrading those you have a better chance of increasing the rarity as you upgrade them. You can also get the type 1's and the wide versions in the past.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,493 Community Moderator
    Yea I believe that is the TOS Bundle.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Here you go the next Temporal Recruit event is heading our way. Starting July 2, 2024 ending July 23, 2024 on all platforms.
    https://www.playstartrekonline.com/en/news/article/11569721
    edited June 26

Also, you won't have access to your bank or [ your existing ] EC so sell everything worth credits to get enough - deflector dishes and other non-TOS-beams space loot, loot drops like food and other non-TOS-weapon ground loot. If you come up short you can always repeat one of the TOS episodes. Remember that the last episode triggers the jump to 240x and you can never come back.
    Post edited by davefenestrator on
    edited June 26

Also, you won't have access to your bank or EC so sell everything worth credits to get enough - deflector dishes and other non-TOS-beams space loot, loot drops like food and other non-TOS-weapon ground loot. If you come up short you can always repeat one of the TOS episodes. Remember that the last episode triggers the jump to 240x and you can never come back.

I believe you might have meant no access to bank and mail not to EC. That's just a little slow to earn back in the 23rd. ;)
    Post edited by baucoin on
    baucoin wrote: »

Also, you won't have access to your bank or EC so sell everything worth credits to get enough - deflector dishes and other non-TOS-beams space loot, loot drops like food and other non-TOS-weapon ground loot. If you come up short you can always repeat one of the TOS episodes. Remember that the last episode triggers the jump to 240x and you can never come back.

I believe you might have meant no access to bank and mail not to EC. That's just a little slow to earn back in the 23rd. ;)

I meant the existing EC in the bank, but you're right about no mail access either so you can't mail yourself loot drops to sell for EC, or gear and tech upgrades.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,778 Arc User
    I was hoping it would be Gamma Recruit event this time since I have no interest in rolling up a hornytoad character and the budget is usually too tight to buy a character slot this time of year, but I usually do have the money in the fall. At least the old Temporal recruits will get a little use out of it though, so it is not a total loss.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,671 Arc User
    what bonehead at Starfleet Personnel scheduled the recruiting drive during my risian vacation?
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 5,051 Arc User
    Just going to ask my question here too, as more people might see it here:

Originally, we were told that we needed to complete the tutorial and claim the temporal transponder thingy while the event is active. But that was before re-runs were held.
    So do we have to complete the same iteration of the event that was running when we created our toon? Or can I continue making progress on a toon that I created during the last Temporal Recruit Event?

I'm asking cause I have one toon that was created last time when the event was running, but I didn't get around to completing the entire tutorial / all of the 22nd century missions. So he is a recruit and he is still somewhere in the 22nd century, somewhere halfway through the first storyline.
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,325 Arc User
    So do we have to complete the same iteration of the event that was running when we created our toon? Or can I continue making progress on a toon that I created during the last Temporal Recruit Event?
    That's a great question that I'd love if we knew the answer...
    It's worth a try to see if your existing TOS-era character gets it upon completion, but I wouldn't count on it happening.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,493 Community Moderator
    Any updates to any Recruits applies to all recruits of that type. So yes. If any changes are made to Temporal Recruit objectives, they are applied to existing ones as well.

The only thing that needs to happen DURING a Recruit Event is obtaining the Transponder Gubbin. From that point on, that character is, and will always be, a Recruit character. And whenever the Recruit event comes around, any bonuses from being a Recruit character will reactivate.

If you made a TOS character outside of the Temporal Recruit Event they do not become Temporal Recruits. You need to make a TOS character and get that Transponder DURING the event to be a Recruit.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,443 Arc User
    edited June 27
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Any updates to any Recruits applies to all recruits of that type. So yes. If any changes are made to Temporal Recruit objectives, they are applied to existing ones as well.

The only thing that needs to happen DURING a Recruit Event is obtaining the Transponder Gubbin. From that point on, that character is, and will always be, a Recruit character. And whenever the Recruit event comes around, any bonuses from being a Recruit character will reactivate.

If you made a TOS character outside of the Temporal Recruit Event they do not become Temporal Recruits. You need to make a TOS character and get that Transponder DURING the event to be a Recruit.
    The question asked here, I believe, is what happens if one creates a TR during a Recruitment event, but doesn't claim the transponder or finish the tutorial before the event ends? Can the tutorial be completed during the next such event, and the transponder claimed then, or does one have to start all over again?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 5,051 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »

The question asked here, I believe, is what happens if one creates a TR during a Recruitment event, but doesn't claim the transponder or finish the tutorial before the event ends? Can the tutorial be completed during the next such event, and the transponder claimed then, or does one have to start all over again?

Yes, that's what I'm wondering about.
    That's a great question that I'd love if we knew the answer...
    It's worth a try to see if your existing TOS-era character gets it upon completion, but I wouldn't count on it happening.

I guess I'll just have to try that indeed.
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,325 Arc User
    edited June 27
    I recall a post where someone had made a character outside of a recruitment event, but got them to the point they get the doohickey during the relevant event. They were then granted the thingummajig anyway.
    I think it was the Temporal Recruit Event last year, but can't find the post...
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
    jonsills wrote: »

That... I honestly don't know as I've never just abandoned a character in the tutorial for a year. I just know how its supposed to work in regards to making recruit characters.
    Well, Inf, when you find out, be sure to let us all know!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    That story does kind of make sense, since from a programming perspective a recruit is probably just a regular character of the particular subfaction (in this case TOS) until they pick up the widget which gives them the flag that makes them a (in this case Temporal) recruit, though there are other possible ways of doing it, so I am curious as to if it does indeed work.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited June 28
    I recall a post where someone had made a character outside of a recruitment event, but got them to the point they get the doohickey during the relevant event. They were then granted the thingummajig anyway.
    I think it was the Temporal Recruit Event last year, but can't find the post...

If someone made a character outside an event, but then got to the point where the recruitment doohickey is given, that suggests that they tripped into an event. Eg. Recruitment tutorial variants are turned on and pushed to players in real time, so you *need* to bank your recruitment status *during* the event regardless of when you made your character. Else if you try outside a recruitment event, your tutorial will be updated to the standard version. You cannot just create a character and rely on your iteration of the tutorial being preserved outside the event window, per Cryptic's recommendations from the first Delta Recruit event. The tutorial is updated for recruits live, ergo no bankable progress on just creating the character.

So the answer to the insane edge case of someone making a character during one recruitment event and making them a recruit in the next event is likely yes. Any old character completing the tutorial during a compatible recruitment event is likely able to become recruits in that time. But no one should bother doing that because nothing is gained vs. just waiting for the next recruitment event to make the character if you don't have the time this go. There's no stated limitation that can be circumvented, as the hard cut off of "doohickey device gained during event = recruit" applies regardless.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • mikadzukichimikadzukichi Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    I too have a question about the TOS-Recruit-Event (sorry for hijacking this thread :tongue: ).

I noticed that with the introduction of the newly added *Captain Alteration Token* the devs did mentioned that they are looking into making more species available for TOS and Diso chars. My question is, are there any news / more infos on this or is it still only what was mentioned ?

Just asking, because I really would like to create caitian TOS-Recruit char, but sadly that species is not available :confounded: .
    I noticed that with the introduction of the newly added *Captain Alteration Token* the devs did mentioned that they are looking into making more species available for TOS and Diso chars. My question is, are there any news / more infos on this or is it still only what was mentioned ?

Just asking, because I really would like to create caitian TOS-Recruit char, but sadly that species is not available :confounded: .

Far as I heard just what was mentioned so far. But the possibility does exist.
    More races for the TOS generator (or even just adding "Alien" tab to it) would be great. I have wanted to do some of the canon TOS races that are unavailable and have had to fake it with the modern generator and just use the TOS uniforms and background writeup to say they are from the 23rd century.

DSC isn't as bad off iirc since they have the "Alien" tab already, though more parts for the alien generator to cover some of the new races and maybe some from older shows like ENT would be good.
    Loving the fact this came up so soon after I asked the question... Problem I seem to be having. I;ve restarted Diplomatic Orders about six times and I have scoured the map each time... Can I find this temporal probe... No, no I cannot.
    Loving the fact this came up so soon after I asked the question... Problem I seem to be having. I;ve restarted Diplomatic Orders about six times and I have scoured the map each time... Can I find this temporal probe... No, no I cannot.
    Last time I ran a temporal recruit through Diplomatic Orders, the probe was hidden beside one of the buildings, well out of the path I'd normally follow. Try around the sides, especially of the big building at the top where you fight the "Ambassador".

Could be worse, though - back in the Before Times, you had to chase the "Ambassador" down another hill to a beamout point past some Klingons he'd fooled into following him, and it could have been anywhere on that hillside.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
This discussion has been closed.