test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

JOIN THE FEAST, OR BE THE FEAST!

baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,343 Community Moderator
edited December 2023 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Sidle up to the table and find out if you're the feaster, or feastee!

https://www.playstartrekonline.com/en/news/article/11558083
GrWzQke.png
Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
----> Contact Customer Support <----
Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,328 Arc User
    Bug hunts are always fun.
    I am a little worried about the reward torpedo. A torpedo dropping boosts might cause a lot of lagg and negatively impact Trico/mine and Romulan Plasma Torpedo builds.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    questerius wrote: »
    I am a little worried about the reward torpedo. A torpedo dropping boosts might cause a lot of lagg and negatively impact Trico/mine and Romulan Plasma Torpedo builds.

Well... if the recent Tholian set that drops crystals that can be collected (and used as homing mines when triggered) didn't cause a lot of lag, these torps might not have much of an impact either. And if their cooldown is about the same as the already existing Quantums, I don't think they're going to cause as much of an issue.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,328 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Well... if the recent Tholian set that drops crystals that can be collected (and used as homing mines when triggered) didn't cause a lot of lag, these torps might not have much of an impact either. And if their cooldown is about the same as the already existing Quantums, I don't think they're going to cause as much of an issue.

I fear it is accumulating. Tholian warp core + New maelstrom Torpedo may cause issues when combined.
    Remember that the pet's/mines disappearing/going invisible on heavy mined maps is not solved yet either.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,870 Arc User
    edited November 2023

I fear it is accumulating. Tholian warp core + New maelstrom Torpedo may cause issues when combined.
    Remember that the pet's/mines disappearing/going invisible on heavy mined maps is not solved yet either.

The effect of one person using both isn't going to be any more intense that two people using the existing Tholian piñata generator. Ie. unless you have a full group trying to maximally exploit this at once (and the Tholian core isn't hugely popular as far as I've seen) you can't see impacts beyond what you can already generate. If folks didn't kill the game before with shard spam, it's hard to see that happening now just by equipping both in a build. The peaks to exceed effective limits have heavy contingencies in place (ex. being 1) active with the game during the Tholian event and this one, 2) inclined to double up, with your build capable of accepting both equipment pieces effectively, and 3) grouped with people making the exact same build choices).

And this is assuming Cryptic didn't build in limits for these assets that work independently of other kinds of pets. Ie. set a cap to the number of active shards. The digitizer trait from the Compiler, for example, has built in limits and a spawn-thing-on-kill effect. That can already be teamed up with the Tholian core and doesn't break the game even with extremely high rates enemy kills (which can multiply out potential spam on some patrols/episodes far more so than doubling up on spawn effects for TFOs.)

Basically, this is something to worry about when things start breaking, not before. Even if a concern is ultimately justified, Cryptic likely won't act on it unless there's data to support it. The systems team had enough confidence in the integrity of the game to pursue this direction in the first place, so gain-saying that confidence will take some hard evidence. And the likely turnaround time for revamping the torpedo if there's an issue is likely longer than between now and the event. So if we're hurtling towards doom, we couldn't do anything about it, realistically.

Mark this out as a point to test for personal reassurance (and potential bug reporting) and then just let events eventuate.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,022 Arc User
    I think you need to fix the speeling - Triflouride is for baking cakes, but TriflUOride might make a better torpedo!

TL;DR - switch the "O" and the "U"
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,769 Arc User
    I think you need to fix the speeling - Triflouride is for baking cakes, but TriflUOride might make a better torpedo!

TL;DR - switch the "O" and the "U"

Could they be baking torpedoes? ;)
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    undedavengerundedavenger Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    Swarm TFO keeps glitching after first wave, never clears the objective for wiping out the last of the swarmers, even afte rthey are all gone. And you get the penalty for leaving.
    Nothing breaks the tension better than a tankard of warnog - except maybe a good brawl...
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,525 Arc User
    I haven't gotten a leavers penalty so far, but I was in a run last night where we killed all of the enemy ships for that stage but it did not count it, so the award was docked as if we didn't.
  • Options
    baucoinbaucoin Member Posts: 661 Arc User
    Swarm TFO keeps glitching after first wave, never clears the objective for wiping out the last of the swarmers, even afte rthey are all gone. And you get the penalty for leaving.

Usually when this happens it's because one of the Ravager ships has deployed Energy Nullifiers (that look like mines when launched) which can't be targeted and take about 10 minutes to despawn. It's a real pain in the you know where especially when you are trying to get the TFO over as quickly as possible.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Energy Nullifiers are supposed to despawn when the ship that deployed them is destroyed.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    Energy Nullifiers are supposed to despawn when the ship that deployed them is destroyed.​​

Yes, they are "supposed" to despawn, but sometimes they don't during the Swarm TFO. I've created a private Swarm TFO and played it solo and had it bug out on phase one. I then waited, after about 10 minutes I saw the Nullifiers blow up and the mission moved to phase two. It seems it mostly happens with the Ravagers by the Gamma lane.
  • Options
    If you guys are reporting on a bug, please give as much detail as you can... in the bug section of the forums. I'll check to see if there is a thread, and pass it up the chain.
    Swarm has always been a bit... iffy in my experience since it was introduced with not progressing. Most of the time it does work, but there's always that odd instance that it doesn't.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Yes, I filed a bug report. Even though I'm sure there have already been a bunch already filed in the past. However, I explained what I observed with the Ravagers and their Nullifiers and the delay in completing the destroy the remaining Hur'q step.

Here's the link to a thread related to this issue.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1271849/tfo-swarm-needs-a-timer-for-auto-progression
  • Options
    Thanks. If you can get me a link to that thread you posted as well, I can combine the two. I'll also pass this up the chain.
  • Options
    I've gotten a reply from support and they pretty much said that others have reported this issue and it's being raised to the Game Lead. Seeing as this bug has been around a long time it must be something really hard to fix or not higher up on the importance scale.
This discussion has been closed.