2»

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    edited November 2023
    rattler2 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C02fDxOZkPY

Khan mentions the Antares Maelstrom.
    Mostly because the writer was redoing Moby-TRIBBLE quotes in that movie.
    Aye, aye! and I'll chase him round Good Hope, and round the Horn, and round the Norway Maelstrom, and round perdition's flames before I give him up.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    The Antares Maelstrom, as in a type of "whirlpool" in space, like @jonsills mentioned, it is a reference to the "Norway Maelstrom" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moskstraumen)

Also, @baddmoonrizin you are correct, I did not specify exactly what it was I was referring to... My line "Just something they made up" is probably a consequence of English being a second language. In Portuguese, we often drop the subject (in this case, the torpedo) as the verb is conjugated accordingly and in context... A misunderstanding... No apology necessary...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,264 Arc User
    crm14916 wrote: »
    The Antares Maelstrom, as in a type of "whirlpool" in space, like @jonsills mentioned, it is a reference to the "Norway Maelstrom" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moskstraumen)

Also, @baddmoonrizin you are correct, I did not specify exactly what it was I was referring to... My line "Just something they made up" is probably a consequence of English being a second language. In Portuguese, we often drop the subject (in this case, the torpedo) as the verb is conjugated accordingly and in context... A misunderstanding... No apology necessary...

No worries I can't speak for Baddmoon but for me English is a second language as well so misunderstandings happen from time to time. Personally I have issues with gendered third person pronouns (well remembering I have to use those in English to be exact) since those don't exist in my native language
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    crm14916 wrote: »

Ah! That certainly makes sense. I am a linguist, and I'm aware that other languages often drop subjects and use the appropriate conjugated verb. Again, I apologize.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    "Maelstrom" being a type of ocean whirlpool. For the torps the name can be justified as codename for special type of torp.
    Maelstrom also has a history as being used as a name for special weapons and/or special or higher end magic spells. With the
    Trifluoride part being used in Star Trek Prodigy.

A Trifluoride torpedo really should have been a Plasma option of some sort as it doesn't make much sense in its current form. The chemical is described as a corrosive extremely reactive gas condenses to a pale-greenish yellow liquid that sets everything on fire. Pretty sure it was also highly illegal and not allowed a ship weapon.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,264 Arc User
    In regards to the chemical being not allowed in weapons the treaties banning it could been renegotiated since that LD episode (Lower Decks is set in 2380s and the current year in STO is 2411 or 2412) to allow limited deployment.

Bare in mind the IIRC that chemical isn't banned IRL (it's a real chemical after all) just not used due how impractical it is to deploy and use.
  • Options
    astralstorm#3516 astralstorm Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited November 2023
    (Flaming, trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,791 Arc User
    edited November 2023
    (Flaming, trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)

I didn't buy the L-Alita just for the torpedo. The 5th forward weapon slot is also a very useful addition.

But I agree with the sentiment. It's a bad move to make a very expensive item that was sold as being unique just a couple of months ago, now available to all. For free.

Especially since, based on the basic description of both items, the event torpedo will actually be better too. It has the same base damage, but on top of that it also grants bonuses to damage output and so on, which the L-Alita's torpedo doesn't give.

Together with the stunt they pulled with the L-Inquiry, this is my main reason to just not spend any money on the game anymore. Even free event rewards are better than previous, paid-for items. Newly released ships are cheaper and don't come with the restrictions that the more expensive one did have.
    Simply put: whenever some new (legendary) bundle is released, previous purchases are generally rendered obsolete - or will be a few months later. On top of that, items that are part of the bundle and already unlocked/owned by the player don't give any benefits or discounts.

So why should I not hold off and see if something better or cheaper is going to be offered at some point in the future? Cryptic has effectively removed any reason to be enthused by the latest toy.
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    In summary: the deals Cryptic has been offering, have become increasingly worse over time. As a player who's been around for a while, I feel that most new releases are just aimed at newer players. Nothing is done to give veteran players some worth for their money.

Premium items are rendered obsolete only a few months after their release.
    Premium ships that shouldn't have come with restrictions in the first place, are re-released without those restrictions - meaning you can get the full product, if you're willing to pay the same, ludicrous price again.

Ludicrous prices that don't take into account that players might already own like half the items that are part of a bundle.

I can't support this type of business practice. We all understand that companies need money to survive. But customers also need to be shown some real and lasting value for the sums they're expected to pay.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    For those saying its a slap in the face... Cryptic stated that they wanted to make more of those torps once they were comfortable with where the Maelstrom Quantum was. So its not a slap in the face at all. Its basically like how they field tested other features like Cruiser Commands. Limited it to one ship, then when they were happy start proliferating. Cruiser Commands weren't rolled out across all Cruisers at the same time when they were introduced. I believe the Avenger was the first to use them, then after a period of fine tuning they were retroactively added to all Cruisers.

The Maelstrom Quantum is still a powerhouse torpedo. I believe they've stated that this new one doesn't hit as hard but fires faster. For those who have the Maelstrom Quantum, you now have two flavors to chose from. For those who don't, they can get an account unlock Maelstrom Torpedo.

I don't see how this "invalidates" or "Obsoletes" anything within months, and I don't see how this is "a slap in the face" when Cryptic has been up front about their desire to make more flavors of this torpedo type.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    For those saying its a slap in the face... Cryptic stated that they wanted to make more of those torps once they were comfortable with where the Maelstrom Quantum was. So its not a slap in the face at all. Its basically like how they field tested other features like Cruiser Commands. Limited it to one ship, then when they were happy start proliferating. Cruiser Commands weren't rolled out across all Cruisers at the same time when they were introduced. I believe the Avenger was the first to use them, then after a period of fine tuning they were retroactively added to all Cruisers.

The Maelstrom Quantum is still a powerhouse torpedo. I believe they've stated that this new one doesn't hit as hard but fires faster. For those who have the Maelstrom Quantum, you now have two flavors to chose from. For those who don't, they can get an account unlock Maelstrom Torpedo.

I don't see how this "invalidates" or "Obsoletes" anything within months, and I don't see how this is "a slap in the face" when Cryptic has been up front about their desire to make more flavors of this torpedo type.

IIRC, they said that there would be more innovative torpedo types.
    They never said that they would release basically the same weapon within a few months when they advertised the L-Alita.

I don't have the weapon unlocked yet, so what I wrote earlier is based off the description of the basic item. Last time I checked, it showed the same damage as the L-Alita's basic, non-upgraded torp when not equipped (e.g., without any damage bonuses).

So it will hit as hard, and it will have other, significant bonuses that the L-Alita's torp doesn't have on top of that.

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Still also waiting for them to make Tricobalts usable again after having nerfed them into near-uselessness a decade ago and never given them a single buff.

They've released TWO of these powerhouse torpedoes now, one freely available, they have no valid excuse not to massively buff Tricobalts.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    Still also waiting for them to make Tricobalts usable again after having nerfed them into near-uselessness a decade ago and never given them a single buff.

They've released TWO of these powerhouse torpedoes now, one freely available, they have no valid excuse not to massively buff Tricobalts.​​

Agreed.

• Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,197 Arc User
    I might use this on my mains torp build, however I already have some nice torps on my setup as it is.
  • Options
    husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,593 Arc User

ya ya but 12 years ago one PvP player liked to launch em point blank and they did 40k dmg in one hit !!! We can't have them un nerfed... :)

Yes they need to remove the internal 15s global on tricobalts. Its silly we have free give away torps like the digitizer which are essentially a tric which is easier to buff, with no silly lockouts.

I would very much like to be able to put a Tricobalt back on my torp boats.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    hmmm the eagle console drops torpedoes to .5 sec for the most part, though the Maelstrom is still clocking higher.. I wonder of the Tric is shortened so something usable?
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited December 2023
    One more piece of kit to clutter up my Reclaim window. yippee. hooray.

One more piece of kit for the Devs to claim is overpowered and then nerf into uselessness. Just like the previous Maelstrom Torpedo.

I bought the Bundle these came in because I really like both ships and the fluff on the torps sounded kinda cool. So I thought, "Great! Two ships I use a lot brought up to Legendary status and that torp is a nice bonus!".

I used the damnable things for about an hour and a half. Both the original flavor and the 'New! Improved!' version.
    They were, and remain, poorly done.

With the original Maelstrom Torpedo, Cryptic tried to explain to us why they nerfed it. If you have explain something to your players, who are also your paying customers, you're doing it wrong, aren't you?

But I come to praise Caesar, not bury him. Nearly all of the time, Y'all get it right. Nearly all of the time, Y'all make that little bit of extra effort to make things right when and where Y'all can. Or CBS allows you to. However, when Y'all get it wrong, Y'all unashamedly display your expertise at being cognitive-impaired hind ends of donkeys.

My recommendations?
    - Drop the Maelstrom Torpedo concept entirely. Before you make yourself look even more foolish over what will always be a cheap, unworthy of you and your company, gimmicky idea.
    - Own this mistake fully and publicly. Learn from it and move on.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    lame22334lame22334 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    So is the toothpaste torpedo any good?

ouzapn4yd9ma.jpg
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    LIterally a thread already discussing this. Threads /merged
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,011 Arc User
    lame22334 wrote: »
    So is the toothpaste torpedo any good?

ouzapn4yd9ma.jpg
    We don't know. We have a triflOUride torpedo for baking cakes with, not a triflUOride torpedo to brush our teeth with.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,602 Arc User
    i messed with it a bit. doesn't seem to hit as hard as the OG, but that makes sense. don't hit as hard but drop the shield candies.
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    One more piece of kit to clutter up my Reclaim window.
    Then by all means, continue to ignore it. Why are you so wrought over this issue? Is one extra screen icon really costing you that much bandwidth?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    i messed with it a bit. doesn't seem to hit as hard as the OG, but that makes sense. don't hit as hard but drop the shield candies.

It also reloads faster than the OG. I'm using it on a character that is running the Tholian set that also spawns the candies.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.