test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New event reward: Maelstrom Triflouride Torpedo launcher

fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
The in-game's loading screens were just updated. Apparently we're going to get some type of Maelstrom torpedo for the next Feast event (which includes the mission Bug Hunt).
[4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,323 Arc User
    edited November 2023
    It's just a fancy word for a Torpedo which spreads goo.

Edit:
    Fun aside, i am curious why they went from an antimatter quantum warhead to a warhead with a chemical compound which among other things is being used as rocket fuel and chemical etching.
    Post edited by questerius on
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    edited November 2023
    If anyone is curious

"Maelstrom Triflouride Torpedo Launcher"

pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited November 2023
    questerius wrote: »
    It's just a fancy word for a Torpedo which spreads goo.

Edit:
    Fun aside, i am curious why they went from an antimatter quantum warhead to a warhead with a chemical compound which among other things is being used as rocket fuel and chemical etching.

Numerical Prefix + Element = New Space Magic!

See. Dilithium, Trilithium, Tricobalt. See also.
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Chlorine_trifluoride
    Apparently it's a naughty chemical when combined with Trek tech.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    Let's see which direction the devs take. Be it either a big bang or Big bang and leave a hazardous cloud behind plasma emission style.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    rocketman33#0665 rocketman33 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    All I've heard is that if I use this torpedo daily, I won't have any cavities at my next dentist appointment.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    All I've heard is that if I use this torpedo daily, I won't have any cavities at my next dentist appointment.

:thumbsup :D
  • Options
    husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,593 Arc User
    As long as it has the * list of stuff the store Maelstrom has that makes it completely an utterly pointless.

Its too bad they already caved on the idea. This torp isn't likely to be any more usable then the current mael.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    There are many Triflouride compounds, but the only one I can think of that would actually be used in a weapon is Chlorine Trifluoride...which is a very terrifying thought, given that's a substance that is not only extremely toxic and corrosive but also explodes on contact with water and can ignite materials that are typically non-flammable, including concrete.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,264 Arc User
    Yeah Chlorine Trifluoride is so prone to ignition when not intended that not even the TRIBBLE considered its use as propulsion method (they used it as a chemical weapon instead or intended at least they never got to actually deploying it) and they nasty fuel on the me 163b that you joke that "Komet" wasn't a codename but what happened to plane if parts of the fuel system got damaged (oh and the fuel used on the Komet was so corrosive they had to use glass tanks so the fuel wouldn't eat thru them), so if they though Chlorine Triflouride was too nasty to be used as fuel you know you're talking about something really nasty.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    Lets just wait and see what it can do before we pass judgement on it.
    We've known they wanted to make more Maelstrom torps after all.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    It sounds like it's going to be functionally identical to the L-Alita's Maelstrom's. And it will drop buffs like the Tholian shield.

https://www.playstartrekonline.com/en/news/article/11558083
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    Triflouride Maelstrom Torpedo Launcher

Torpedo launchers fire projectiles that deal heavy kinetic damage. Shields drastically reduce the effects of kinetic damage. Maelstrom projectiles deal high damage but need time to recharge. They can store excess energy in the warhead, allowing them to functionally 'charge up' damage.

The Triflouride Maelstrom launcher, on defeating foes, leaves behind Triflouride Fragments that can be collected for temporary bonuses.

Only two Maelstrom launchers may be safely equipped at a time. Maelstrom Launchers deal double damage against weaker foes: Cruisers and smaller always, Battleships with their shield facing near zero, and Dreadnoughts and Players under 50% Hull.

I'm a little worried that more drops akin the Tholian warp Core drops will increase the lagg and end up detrimental to builds with a lot of target able torpedoes and mines.
  • Options
    Probably depends on how many drop as well as the torp's cooldown.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Lets just wait and see what it can do before we pass judgement on it.
    We've known they wanted to make more Maelstrom torps after all.

Can we get a clarification on 2 Maelstrom Torpedoes in general or each of its kind, like the new one and the Akira one. Kael wrote just Maelstrom which kind of hints that its 2 Maelstrom no matter which ones but I really would like some clarification on that.

C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    What’s the big deal with Maelstrom anyway? Is it from one of the new shows I haven’t seen? Everything is “maelstrom this” and “maelstrom that” all of a sudden… Anyone care to explain to this idiot what’s going on?

Thanks!
    CRM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    crm14916 wrote: »
    What’s the big deal with Maelstrom anyway? Is it from one of the new shows I haven’t seen? Everything is “maelstrom this” and “maelstrom that” all of a sudden… Anyone care to explain to this idiot what’s going on?

Thanks!
    CRM

The deal is the Maelstrom Torpedoes is what the Tricobalt Torpedoes should be lol

C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • Options
    Can we get a clarification on 2 Maelstrom Torpedoes in general or each of its kind, like the new one and the Akira one. Kael wrote just Maelstrom which kind of hints that its 2 Maelstrom no matter which ones but I really would like some clarification on that.

I believe the limit is two in general. So you can mix and match, but only two total.

Thanks!
    CRM

I believe the idea behind the Maelstrom Torpedoes was to bring back the original intent for torpedoes in game, to be more strategic in use rather than spaming. As mentioned in a livestream covering the Maelstrom Quantums, they're not torpedoes you put on autofire.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User

Thanks!
    CRM

the big deal is that a TS3 spread is virtually guaranteed to crush anything light cruiser on down. I often have several 100K+ crits. the down side is it has a looong cooldown, but on a torp boat, it is coming off cooldown at the same time TS3 is so chances are your TS3 cycle is always maelstroms. with an imperfect build and equally imperfect piloting skill, I am high 20K dps. the bundle is the legendary akira and legendary valdore. both are excellent ships, decent traits and the temporal scors and maelstrom are icing
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    I say this again the Maelstrom Torpedoes in my eyes are what the Tricobalt Torpedoes should have been.
  • Options
    nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    4 out of 5 dentists agree ....

the correct spelling is fluoride not flouride,
    we're not baking bread here

leave it to this game to miss minute details
  • Options
    So the new Maelstrom is better than the 'old' one.

It's nice to see that I won't have to miss anything as a result of my decision to just stop spending on this game, made after a promo ship was also rendered obsolete.

• Options
    So, it's not like the word "maelstrom" was used in one of the episodes of Lower Decks or anything... Just something they made up and are running with it... Got it... I thought maybe I had missed something...

Thanks all!
    CRM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    So, it's not like the word "maelstrom" was used in one of the episodes of Lower Decks or anything... Just something they made up and are running with it... Got it... I thought maybe I had missed something...

Thanks all!
    CRM

"Maelstrom" is not a made up word. 🤨
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,264 Arc User
    "Maelstrom" being a type of ocean whirlpool. For the torps the name can be justified as codename for special type of torp.
  • Options
    One of my ships that use the L-Alita's Maelstrom is named 'Calypso'.

Idea for the next legendary ship: the one that Worf got promoted on on the Holodeck. Add some drunken pirates as unique boffs to the bundle. One of them should come with the lobi crossbow weapon.

• Options

Thanks all!
    CRM

I didn't say it was... I simply was wondering if it was used in an episode of one of the TV shows... I said they made up the torpedo... I'm not actually stupid... lol...

CRM
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C02fDxOZkPY

Khan mentions the Antares Maelstrom.
  • Options

Thanks all!
    CRM

I didn't say it was... I simply was wondering if it was used in an episode of one of the TV shows... I said they made up the torpedo... I'm not actually stupid... lol...

CRM

There is a TNG novel named Maelstrom. Perhaps the torpedo is based upon a weapon in that novel.
  • Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,009 Arc User
    Do y'all think they'll ever correct the spelling?
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator

Thanks all!
    CRM

CRM

Well, you never mentioned "torpedo" in that post, only the word "maelstrom," which indicated that was the word you considered made up. Your excessive, and possibly unnecessary, use of ellipsis may be meant to indicate an incomplete thought about "torpedo," but that wasn't obvious from what you wrote. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were stupid.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.