test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Launcher stuck in an autoupdate loop

Launcher had got updated yesterday when I logged in (around midday GMT 15th June) and everything went without a hitch.

Apparently the maintenance brought another launcher update as it's now been stuck looping the same 48meg patcher over and over at a painfully slow rate even though all the bandwidth is being used by it.

Been 30 minutes of this nonsense so giving up and trying again tomorrow

Comments

• avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,215 Arc User
    I'm having the same issue currently.
    I stream on Twitch, look for Avoozl_
    I tried resetting my router and that oddly helped, none of my other programs were having issues despite the launchers ones though.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,669 Arc User
    Just got this today too, I'm giving up on it for the moment.

Also, since last patch every time I start up the gameclient it downloads a fresh 50-100MB launcher update. I've got slow home internet (up until they finish rolling out fiber anyway) that I supplement with cellular, and on home internet it downloads ~50MB, but on cellular it downloads 100+MB instead. Both phone, home router and DSL modem have been restarted fairly recently.
  • truthprosecutortruthprosecutor Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited July 2023
    So, I'm attempting to get into the game as I usually do, but the launcher won't go past the stage where it seems to be looking for something to patch; the bar is showing "Version ST.282.20230611a.9" endlessly, for an as yet undetermined length of time, but much much longer than it usually does, even when there is a patch to be downloaded and applied.

Logging in through Steam or directly through the launcher doesn't seem to have any influence on this. I attempted to Force Verify on one of my attempts, but literally the exact same thing happened as before. I don't understand what is happening.

If it matters, my launcher says it's version CL_2023_06_26_11_16.

Is anyone else having this issue, or am I alone in this?
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • truthprosecutortruthprosecutor Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    Well... It appears to have been something on my end, or perhaps the servers' connectivity got better after some time, because I can get in at last. Wonder what was up in the first place... Oh well.
  • ayrsayle#7924 ayrsayle Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Same here trying to connecting both Neverwinter and Startrek. Also, the server doesn't accept my pass, it says "Invalid", so i cannot log to any of them :(
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Happening again with todays (6th july) launcher update.

Caught it looping the first time around and killed it rather than have it chug through the same 100 megs over and over
  • samargathasamargatha Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    I got problem with launcher too. Today it updated (normal launcher, not ARC) and now launcher screen is black.
  • samargathasamargatha Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    samargatha wrote: »
    I got problem with launcher too. Today it updated (normal launcher, not ARC) and now launcher screen is black.

Finally I managed to log in BLIND. Proud of myself. Game update went fine.
    9th July, there's been another launcher update since yesterday and once again its loopy time
  • splattysplatty Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    The normal behavior of the launcher is it checks files, updates as required and once the game itself loads it then exits. This is also broken and it does not close, instead just makes more threads of itself. Possibly related to the update looping as it never succeeds in closing itself properly to actually update...

You can only kill these processes via TaskManager (or reboot if your uncomfortable with such things).

djok4zlanz0l.png

25 entries in task manager!

Cryptics less than stellar QA strikes again
  • starbase35starbase35 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    I have this Problem too. The Cryptic Launcher Autoupdate downlading from 110 MB too 80 or 40 MB then restart and again. Can anyone help me ?
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited July 2023
    I have already opened a chat window with support, They are bumping it up as we speak and looking into why it is hapening and gave them how and when it happened as a clue as to when it began.

Update: i started getting a file error on my launcher. below is the fix. after that it should work.

Go into your taxk manager in windows and terminate all cryptic launcher sessions showing up in your task list,
    Then restart your game and it should be ok.
  • romuloid#8246 romuloid Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same problem here after auto logout with no software/hardware changes of any kind whatsoever. And PC reboot fixed nothing.

Of course, this was only a week after I purchased a Lifetime Subscription. Oh what a fool am I.
  • baucoinbaucoin Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    This bug seems to be affecting Neverwinter and Champions Online as well.
    No real surprise since its the same engine and launcher for them

Currently have 3 entries sat in task manager refusing to be end tasked unlike the other couple from todays round of risa
  • carlosbezerracarlosbezerra Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    same problem here.
    After todays purge I now have 6 sat there, including the three from yesterday, and noticed that when end tasking them a new entry pops back up almost immediately
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,858 Arc User
    edited July 2023
    I just had this after the maintenance today where it was in a loop. It kept looping and then got stuck at 49.0 MB and refused to move any further. I quit the auto-update window and will try again later. Later I tried and got the patch but now I am stuck in a loop of doom. I have tried Arc, no dice. I have turned off and on the modem, it did not work. Tried a second computer, still did not work. Most of the week I had smooth sailing until today. This needs to be fixed. It should not be happening.

Along with that I have a problem where the launcher starts out white, then goes to the correct color after it slowly loads in. Before the maintenance, I had two consecutive days displaying the message: "The website is experiencing technical difficulties. Normal gameplay is not affected." The rest of the days I have not had that problem.

@baddmoonrizin @rattler2 @darkbladejk Please bring this to Cryptic's attention. Thanks.
    Post edited by sthe91 on
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    Having this issue again but restarting router is no longer helping, really frustrating.
  • desslock#3614 desslock Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited July 2023
    sthe91 wrote: »
    I just had this after the maintenance today where it was in a loop. It kept looping and then got stuck at 49.0 MB and refused to move any further. I quit the auto-update window and will try again later. Later I tried and got the patch but now I am stuck in a loop of doom. I have tried Arc, no dice. I have turned off and on the modem, it did not work. Most of the week I had smooth sailing until today. This needs to be fixed. It should not be happening.

Along with that I have a problem where the launcher starts out white, then goes to the correct color after it slowly loads in. Before the maintenance, I had two consecutive days displaying the message: "The website is experiencing technical difficulties. Normal gameplay is not affected." The rest of the days I have not had that problem.

@baddmoonrizin @rattler2 @darkbladejk Please bring this to Cryptic's attention. Thanks.

I have been having the same issue tonight. It worked fine last night. It tries to update the launcher starts at 112.6 MB, gets down to the lowest I have seen is 96.9 mb, then it restarts, and says "trying to connect to server 11 times"
    Only 1 instance in my task manager

• slacker2002#2884 slacker2002 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited July 2023
    Charactername@handle: slacker2002#2884

What the issue is: Since this mornings patch, I have been unable to open the launcher. Running on Steam, Windows 8.1.

What steps you already tried when attempting to resolve your issue (if applicable): Multiple restarts. Launcher just trying to repatch, over and over, but never actually opens to log in.

g6i91weobl7t.png

8gvkqi72dvtb.png

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • startrekaeorrostartrekaeorro Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    I've had this issue a few times and restarting the process would sometime "unstick" it, but it's not working tonight. A quick internet search shows this same issue going back to at least 2012. How can you be this bad at something for so long?
    “Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning. ”― E. Rommelvn1d8jtiy2sg.jpg
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,804 Community Moderator
    They're aware of the issues with the launcher and stuff and are looking into it. I'll let you guys know if I hear anything else I can pass along. right now i'm stuck in the loop like you folks are so added motivation to pester them a bit XD
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,170 Arc User
    edited July 2023
    Arrrrrggghhhh been hit by this issue too. Everything was fine less than 24 hours ago now bam. Trying to update the launcher starts at 112.5 Mb goes down to 105 Mb stops then reverts back to 112.5 and the process starts all again.

Took 8 attempts till I got the launcher up. Got into game and was stuck inside the wall of the Floater vendor on Risa. Was able to beam out and back down though to play my daily and continue playing as normal.
    Post edited by eazzie on
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,858 Arc User
    Last night, I let the launcher sit and it finally loaded. Got the DOFFing, the daily, and other things done. Then I logged off in case anything else happened in-game and because I did not have enough time to replay a long episode called Blood of the Ancients.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    Someone beamed me onto the bridge of a spherebuilder ship once, and the transporter operator thought it would be funny to beam me half into a wall, as in the entire back half of my avatar was inside the wall, couldnt move, couldnt jump, couldnt anything LOL.
  • happifichappific Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    I'm having the same issue with the Cryptic Launcher Autoupdate looping whilst trying to update the launcher.
    I have killed all process linked to STO and Cryptic, restarted the computer, restarted the router, and tried a different computer. None of these things have resolved the issue.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,170 Arc User
    happific wrote: »
    I'm having the same issue with the Cryptic Launcher Autoupdate looping whilst trying to update the launcher.
    I have killed all process linked to STO and Cryptic, restarted the computer, restarted the router, and tried a different computer. None of these things have resolved the issue.

I found just being patient (although frustrating) and let it keep looping it did eventually end and the launcher appeared.