test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question about Star Trek :Beyond the JJ movie

revanmike#1299 revanmike Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited March 2022 in Ten Forward
I'm one of those Trek fans that likes TNG and grew up watching TOS reruns. I don't like the new Dark Trek. So for the first time ever I watched Beyond last night because I was board and it was free. Getting to the point of the thread. In the movie they talk about a Nebula the planet is in and at the end of the movie Kirk stays in Star Fleet because he wants to explore what is on the other side. So my question is What Nebula is this, did I miss it? I'm thinking the brairpatch or badlands but it didnt look like either to me.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    edited March 2022
    @revanmike

Since this is not game-related, moving to Ten Forward.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    They didn't call it the Briar Patch.
    Memory Alpha calls it the Necro Cloud Nebula. No actual location other than being on the edge of Federation space in the Kelvin Timeline's 23rd Century. It is unclear if its in either Alpha or Beta Quadrants.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,472 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    @revanmike

Since this is not game-related, moving to Ten Forward.

Nothing to do with this thread but welcome back, baddmoonrizin! Now, all the mods including the new one rattler2 are here.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Memory Alpha calls it the Necro Cloud Nebula. No actual location other than being on the edge of Federation space in the Kelvin Timeline's 23rd Century. It is unclear if its in either Alpha or Beta Quadrants.

Starbase Yorktown is right on the frontier, so it might be bordering both quadrants. That's my take anyway.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,508 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Starbase Yorktown is right on the frontier, so it might be bordering both quadrants. That's my take anyway.

There are only two zones were the Federation frontier touches quadrant borders, one to the "north" and one to the "south" along the map. In STO's case that would put it near Romulan space in the "north" and the border between Federation space, Tholian space (which is apparently off the south edge of the map somewhere except for Nukara), and Klingon space in the south.

The Briar Patch nebula would not be a bad place to put it except that there are already a full starbase, at least one deepspace station, and an automated picket network based in the Traelus system practically sitting on top of it so Starbase Yorktown would be superfluous at best which means it is probably not the best place for it.

The other end of Alpha/Beta line is a bit more promising, the Eridan belt area could harbor a nebula since it is like the Briar Patch (and the other old exploration clusters) and is actually a sort of "fold" in the map that represents a larger expanse (perhaps it extends vertically off the 2D map). It is reasonable to think that there would be a Starbase or at least a deepspace station or substantial outpost in there, and Yorktown could be it.

Of course, that assumes that Yorktown is positioned where both the alpha/beta border crosses the Federation frontier, it could actually be anywhere along the frontier from the little that was revealed in the movie.
  • Options
    Hell... it could be along ANY frontier, not just quadrant borders. It could be deep in Alpha or Beta for all we know. There is just no information to help us pin down a region. The only thing we have to go on is the Nebula, which is extremely dense (they actually depicted chunks of rock like an asteroid field as well as the typical gas clouds), and the fact its pretty much on the Federation border.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    If you go by Simon Pegg (and no one should), it's not even in the Milky Way at all.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    If you go by Simon Pegg (and no one should), it's not even in the Milky Way at all.​​

Which would make no sense as Star Trek doesn't have the capability of reaching other galaxies. There's also that pesky Galactic Barrier to deal with as well.