test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

An Amusing Truth

tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 529 Arc User
edited February 2022 in Ten Forward
https://youtu.be/yMrlOGm_-q0

Discovery, raising a middle finger to multiple generations of Trek. Congratulations, writers.

So, am I "gatekeeping" by calling out the fact they're writing Trek without watching or knowing anything about Trek? :p

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    You're being amazingly disingenuous. No one has explored outside the Milky Way galaxy, because there's some weird barrier there. NCC-1701 bypassed it with Kelvan tech, but their only concern was getting home, not gathering data (and "Is There In Truth No Beauty?" implied that for some reason the ship's sensors couldn't gather data out there anyway, so only a Medusan could guide them back from that particular incident). NCC-1701-D was thrown to M-33, and did not in fact traverse the space between. Starfleet still does not know, beyond the placement of stars, what's outside our galaxy (although in STO, we do know that there are Iconian gates in the Andromeda galaxy, some two million light-years away - not sure I want to go find out what's there, considering that something made the Kelvans want to leave.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    jonsills wrote: »
    You're being amazingly disingenuous. No one has explored outside the Milky Way galaxy, because there's some weird barrier there. NCC-1701 bypassed it with Kelvan tech, but their only concern was getting home, not gathering data (and "Is There In Truth No Beauty?" implied that for some reason the ship's sensors couldn't gather data out there anyway, so only a Medusan could guide them back from that particular incident). NCC-1701-D was thrown to M-33, and did not in fact traverse the space between. Starfleet still does not know, beyond the placement of stars, what's outside our galaxy (although in STO, we do know that there are Iconian gates in the Andromeda galaxy, some two million light-years away - not sure I want to go find out what's there, considering that something made the Kelvans want to leave.)

Wasn't that something radiation?

It's been a long time since I watched TOS ep. By Any Other Name, but I seem to remember they mentioned a far off future death of the Andromeda galaxy but radiation.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,022 Community Moderator

It's been a long time since I watched TOS ep. By Any Other Name, but I seem to remember they mentioned a far off future death of the Andromeda galaxy but radiation.

I think it was. Would be interesting if it was tied, at least in game, to the Iconians. After all we did have a Sphere in Andromeda that seemed unaffected. And IMO there's no way there aren't any gateways still in Andromeda.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »

I think it was. Would be interesting if it was tied, at least in game, to the Iconians. After all we did have a Sphere in Andromeda that seemed unaffected. And IMO there's no way there aren't any gateways still in Andromeda.

Wouldn't it be interesting if the Iconians were causing all sorts of havoc in the Andromeda Galaxy as they were in the Milky Way? Maybe the Kelvans capture an Iconian gateway and use it to try and start colonizing the Alpha Quadrant. Perhaps even start a war where we get to fight them in their real form. A great opportunity for the Devs to create another race like 8472. Perhaps they look like elephants or octopi in their natural state. Or even * gasp * penguins.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    According to Memory Alpha...
    Described by Spock as "immense beings", Kelvans were in one form at least twice the size of an adult Klingon male. (DS9: "Time's Orphan") Their complex minds possessed sufficient discipline to operate each of their hundred tentacle-like limbs independently, but their superior intellectual capacity developed at the cost of more distracting emotions and sensory perceptions.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Kelvan

So... probably an octopus like eldritch horror like entity. Unfortunately I don't know if STO can support a hundred tentacle limbs without having a hernia.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options

Yeah, in "A Step Between Stars" one of the terminals mentions the Andromeda gateways, and I think I remember it being mentioned that they were also reactivating. Which could mean that something might be coming through from the other end one day...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    They never actually said WHERE in Andromeda those gates were - for all intents and purposes, the only ones might've been the ones on and in the Dyson sphere that jumped to Iconia - which means there are none left in Andromeda.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options

Yeah, in "A Step Between Stars" one of the terminals mentions the Andromeda gateways, and I think I remember it being mentioned that they were also reactivating. Which could mean that something might be coming through from the other end one day...

In Uneasy Allies - Sela takes us to a sphere currently in the Andromeda galaxy. Isn't that the one that later jumps to the Iconian system?
  • Options
    I don't know if it is the Iconian Sphere or just one of the smaller ones we hear about.
  • Options
    captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    tasshena wrote: »

Discovery, raising a middle finger to multiple generations of Trek. Congratulations, writers.

So, am I "gatekeeping" by calling out the fact they're writing Trek without watching or knowing anything about Trek? :p

yes you're gate keeping by suddenly thinking that mild inconsistancy is new to discovery. every trek series occasionally has continality slips. in addition it's not like the enterprises where doing any extra galatic EXPLORATION
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    They never actually said WHERE in Andromeda those gates were - for all intents and purposes, the only ones might've been the ones on and in the Dyson sphere that jumped to Iconia - which means there are none left in Andromeda.​​

STO isn't entirely clear about gateways anyway.

In one of the missions (I believe it's the one where we open the gate on New Romulus) there's a Ferasan who points out that you don't actually need a gateway on the other side. If you have, for example, one near the Jouret system, you can go anywhere.

The only problem is getting back. But even that is only limitedly so a problem because you can just make arrangements with those staying behind, telling them to re-open the gate six hours after you've travelled to Andromeda for example.

And of course, if you want to send colonial ships through that are intended to create a fully independent settlement somewhere and thus stay there forever, there's no need at all to get back. Even a one-way portal would be a great asset to have then.

On the other hand, we also have kit modules that can open up a gateway to a star to weaponise its radiation. Which would seem a bit pointless if travelling both ways is always possible, because then it'd probably be a lot easier just to throw your enemy into that star. So that at least suggests that it's not always possible to go both ways...
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,508 Arc User
    edited April 2022

yes you're gate keeping by suddenly thinking that mild inconsistancy is new to discovery. every trek series occasionally has continality slips. in addition it's not like the enterprises where doing any extra galatic EXPLORATION

Shutting down a valid argument by calling it gatekeeping is itself a form of gatekeeping once you get down to it. Buzzwords like that are way too overused nowadays, and that often leads to the issues getting abstracted into unreal caricatures of the issues.

In this case, the fact is that Kurtzman has never been any good at coloring within the lines when it comes to working with already established fictional worlds (and even plays fast and loose with realworld history sometimes), and it shows very often. That is not always an issue (it worked quite well with some shows, like the reimagined Hawaii Five-O for instance), but with Trek fans being so detail-oriented it is a definite and real problem so pointing it out is not "gatekeeping", trying to hush the people pointing it out is more along the lines of gatekeeping.

The question is less whether NuTrek and traditional Trek are different in often contradictory ways, because an abundance of objective evidence clearly shows that it is, it is more an issue of whether those changes, especially taken together, are too much to be believable as anything except an alternate timeline. And while the IP holder has the legal right to change things, they have no control over whether the viewers find those changes plausible or not.

Even the subgenres of science fiction are different between traditional Trek and NuTrek. Traditional Trek is soft sci-fi in the tradition of Forbidden Planet and The Day The Earth Stood Still (the 1951 version, not the 2008 version which was more of a regular thriller) that focuses on the social sciences and tends to be "too cerebral" (as Kurtzman put it about traditional Trek) for the current Hollywood ideals, while NuTrek is solidly in the space opera subgenre with its striving to emulate action movies.

As for the Iconian gateways, the mission seemed to imply that there were a lot of them, not just a few into two or three spheres.

One funny thing about the radiation stuff, back in the 1960s astronomers were not aware that Andromeda was already starting to move into the Milky Way (in fact, the barrier could be easily retconned into the galactic gas collision zone if they wanted to use science instead of ignore it like DSC does more than the others), so that radiation thing would have dire consequences for both galaxies.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User

Discovery ignoring TOS.....there's a big surprise. :*
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options

In which episode, exactly, did TOS "explore" outside the Milky Way?

As noted, the Kelvan adaptation of warp drive left them essentially blind as they flew - they had to return along their already-established course. And in "Is There In Truth No Beauty?", the reason Spock had to meld with the Medusan navigator was because the ship's sensors were (for no adequately-explained reason, as I remember) unable to find any navigational landmarks whatsoever, and they'd been thrown out there by someone basically randomly mashing buttons. Hard to "explore" when you can't see anything.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited April 2022
    OP, no you're not 'gatekeeping'. What you're doing is using a roundabout way to publicly express your dislike for Star Trek:Discovery. And, just like all the others who feel compelled to share such. you're boring.

And very much unamusing. How ironical of you.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if this video clip will help or hinder this discussion.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8d-kaTra4k&t=218s
  • Options
    edited April 2022

As noted, the Kelvan adaptation of warp drive left them essentially blind as they flew - they had to return along their already-established course. And in "Is There In Truth No Beauty?", the reason Spock had to meld with the Medusan navigator was because the ship's sensors were (for no adequately-explained reason, as I remember) unable to find any navigational landmarks whatsoever, and they'd been thrown out there by someone basically randomly mashing buttons. Hard to "explore" when you can't see anything.

Technically twice, though they only went a few days or weeks out past the barrier in By Any Other Name. In TOS there was really no attempt to synchronize realworld time with in-show time (for instance, dialog placed Shore Leave as at least six months after the preceding episode (actually The Menagerie1&2 though the network ran Balance of Terror the week before instead).

In Is There In Truth No Beauty? the problem with their navigation was that they could not locate the marker stars they use. Why exactly is not completely clear since dialog said something along the lines that they were too far out in the void to find them (though realistically they would have had to have been at least as far out as their galaxy-class namesake was to not pick up the quasars and whatnot), but the visuals showed them in some sort of hyperspace (not the first or the last time the script and the SFX company did not quite agree). Whichever it was, it was it was technically outside of the galaxy in a realspace sense.

• Options
    Outside the galaxy is still pretty much untouched by Star Trek as a whole. Not only that... the Galactic Barrier kinda makes it hard to get OUT, and warp drive is too slow to reach the next galaxy over in any reasonable timeframe.

Hell... we don't even know why the Galactic Barrier exists in canon. It just... does. Was it made to keep us in? Or keep something out? Is it natural or artificial? Are the energies different in different areas or does the Barrier change itself over time?

What I found interesting was that the Spore Drive actually has limitations itself. It couldn't jump them outside the barrier, and it couldn't jump them to the barrier. They had to jump close and go in with conventional Warp Drive.

Also being outside the galaxy doesn't always mean exploring outside the galaxy. Just like being outside my house doesn't always mean exploring outside my house.
  • Options
    What I found interesting was that the Spore Drive actually has limitations itself. It couldn't jump them outside the barrier, and it couldn't jump them to the barrier. They had to jump close and go in with conventional Warp Drive.

That would imply that the barrier somehow creates a discontinuity in stringspace, or is itself such a discontinuity.

It is indeed interesting, and it would also confirm that the Andromeda series is not "the future of the Federation" like a popular myth states, since the ships in that series lack a realspace FTL drive like warp and would not be able to get right up to the edge of the galaxy much less cross to others the way they do.
  • Options
    Honestly... the lack of any known Trek species, and the lack of shields or any other known technology in any form, kinda rulled out Andromeda as being connected to Star Trek. The only connection was Gene Roddenberry. Its about as related to Star Trek as Earth Final Conflict. Not at all.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Saying Andromeda is in any way tied to Star Trek is like saying Starcraft is tied to W40K - they were both SUPPOSED to be, but circumstances forced them each to become their own IPs (in the latter case, it was that Blizzard was pretty much a no-name company at the time, even in spite of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans and Warcraft 2's successes, and when they took their W40K-esque pitch to whoever owned the IP back in the early 90s, they got rejected - so they just decided to do their own thing loosely based off it, and thus we got Starcraft).​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User

They attempted cross the barrier in Where no man has gone before. the thing I disliked about the barrier in Disco is the APPEARANCE. it was like they were in a lava lamp
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    They attempted cross the barrier in Where no man has gone before. the thing I disliked about the barrier in Disco is the APPEARANCE. it was like they were in a lava lamp

As opposed to just a band of purpleish light?
    Hell... the Great Barrier in ST5 looked like one of those other kinds of lamps that swirl and... I honestly don't know what they're called.

Honestly the Barrier looked more intimidating.
  • Options

As opposed to just a band of purpleish light?
    Hell... the Great Barrier in ST5 looked like one of those other kinds of lamps that swirl and... I honestly don't know what they're called.

Honestly the Barrier looked more intimidating.
    Are you thinking of Lava Lamps?

Michael Okuda change all that. Now, after a brief glimps of a pink wall light, it turns into a sort of bunch of blueish gas clouds.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    Outside the galaxy is still pretty much untouched by Star Trek as a whole. Not only that... the Galactic Barrier kinda makes it hard to get OUT, and warp drive is too slow to reach the next galaxy over in any reasonable timeframe.

Hell... we don't even know why the Galactic Barrier exists in canon. It just... does. Was it made to keep us in? Or keep something out? Is it natural or artificial? Are the energies different in different areas or does the Barrier change itself over time?

Also being outside the galaxy doesn't always mean exploring outside the galaxy. Just like being outside my house doesn't always mean exploring outside my house.

There is the novel explanation from the Q Continuum novels where the Q Continuum created the galactic barrier to protect the Milky Way Galaxy from a hostile near-omnipotent entity. It is an interesting read like why the Calamarains from the Deja Q episode hate Q, why the T'Kon Empire was destroyed, and why Q interacts with Humans, he is the reason behind the asteroid that destroyed the dinosaurs if I remember correctly. Obviously, it is as canonical as Star Trek Online and slightly better than fanfiction, but still an interesting read.
    Post edited by starkaos on
  • Options
    starkaos wrote: »
    x

There is the novel explanation from the Q Continuum novels where the Q Continuum created the galactic barrier to protect the Milky Way Galaxy from a hostile near-omnipotent entity. It is an interesting read like why the Calamarains from the Deja Q episode hate Q, why the T'Kon Empire was destroyed, and why Q interacts with Humans, he is the reason behind the asteroid that destroyed the dinosaurs if I remember correctly. Obviously, it is as canonical as Star Trek Online and slightly better than fanfiction, but still an interesting read.

The galactic barrier was also integral to the book Q Squared. Q was forced to become a part of it for a time by Trelane ( from The Squire of Gothos ).
  • Options
    And in one of Diane Duane's novels, the Barrier was a temporary phenomenon caused by the wavefront of an exploding Seyfert galaxy impacting on the Milky Way's galactic magnetic field. Guess that one's out the airlock now...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    And in one of Diane Duane's novels, the Barrier was a temporary phenomenon caused by the wavefront of an exploding Seyfert galaxy impacting on the Milky Way's galactic magnetic field. Guess that one's out the airlock now...

Not necessarily completely out the airlock, it would not be too implausible that particles from a Seyfert exploding are interacting with the gas and dust collision between the two galaxies to cause the superstrings to somehow bunch up or whatever. Still, I doubt that CBS would want to use anything that could cause an IP issue so it is probably safe to assume that it and the other book theories are all equally off the table.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

Not necessarily completely out the airlock, it would not be too implausible that particles from a Seyfert exploding are interacting with the gas and dust collision between the two galaxies to cause the superstrings to somehow bunch up or whatever. Still, I doubt that CBS would want to use anything that could cause an IP issue so it is probably safe to assume that it and the other book theories are all equally off the table.

Or you can classify them as belonging to their own parallel universes to make each galactic barrier theory viable, but just not in the Prime Universe. Star Trek Online could come up with its own explanation about the galactic barrier or just ignore it and introduce an Andromeda expansion since we already have Iconian Gateways in Andromeda and our captains have temporarily gone to Andromeda.
  • Options
    starkaos wrote: »

Or you can classify them as belonging to their own parallel universes to make each galactic barrier theory viable, but just not in the Prime Universe. Star Trek Online could come up with its own explanation about the galactic barrier or just ignore it and introduce an Andromeda expansion since we already have Iconian Gateways in Andromeda and our captains have temporarily gone to Andromeda.
    Since the Andromeda galaxy is still around two million light-years away, the only practical way to expand to that galaxy would be to use the Iconian gates. As they don't pass through normal space, the Barrier is no impediment.

The problem with using Duane's explanation today is that it was supposed to be a fairly transient phenomenon - her novel had it being bypassable in only 15 years after its discovery. It would certainly have dissipated over a 930-year period. Pity, I rather liked it, but the universe is seldom as we wish it to be, especially when we're not the ones creating it.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png