test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Shadow's Advance is Live (SPOILERS)

Comments

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,324 Arc User

But once again, seeing such great, detailed environments that will not be accessible for players via a bridge or a HUB, is always so disappointing, and we still haven't seen the 2411 ship interior Nick was working on.

It was never said that would be a player interior (well they said "we'd like to make it that, but there's no plans for it at this point") as for the actual interior set art both the Izar station and Jupiter Station use it.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2022
    westmetals wrote: »
    Before you read the blog post, be warned that the image has big spoilers:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11507363-shadow's-advance-is-live!

The in-game loading screen also has such spoilers.

Perhaps I'm being dense, but what is the spoiler?

The third voice actor that they hadn't announced. A very well known (series-canon) character not previously seen in-game.

Very obvious image of the character in both places.

Well I think he's refers to Lieutenant Ilia, a Deltan and former lover of Decker, takes the navigator position in Star Trek the Motion Picture. Given they are using her likeness, it's very possible she may be a Voice Actor in a future episode, if her Health challenges manage to resolve. :'(
    0zxlclk.png
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,431 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    First this is Terran tech and unless it's meant to kill or hurt someone it's just not a priority to the Terrans, also it could be seen as punishment for failure, sure they'd have the tech to make you sound natural but they won't do it so that you're reminded of your failure every time you open your mouth to speak.
    Shades of Weasel in Fallout 76! (She had her vocal cords burned out with a hot poker by the last raider gang she was with, because she ratted someone out. When the Diehards picked her up, someone assembled a voicebox for her from the gear put together by the preWar naturalist in Monongah, who was obsessed with talking to animals. When she was able to tell them what happened, they programmed the voicebox to call her "Weasel" so everyone would know what she'd done.)

Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,404 Arc User
    strathkin wrote: »
    Well I think he's refers to Lieutenant Ilia, a Deltan and former lover of Decker, takes the navigator position in Star Trek the Motion Picture. Given they are using her likeness, it's very possible she may be a Voice Actor in a future episode, if her Health challenges manage to resolve. :'(
    Not gonna happen.

Ilia's actress, Persis Khambatta, sadly passed away in 1998.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    I really like that some of the doors have fun jokes, just like the show. Found two so far (turbolift control and an atrium)... anyone else seen any?
    Also... an interesting and unannounced change.... the "Upgrade" button in inventory? Is now labeled as "Upgrade/Salvage".

I assume that's to let people know that you can mass salvage items from that window, which has been a feature for a while.
    questerius wrote: »
    Interesting emperor's prize.

I'll say. I shouted out loud when I saw it. Not sure I like how it sort of... undoes the ending of the story it appeared in, but I suppose we'll see what happens.
    Post edited by felderburg on
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 929 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Before this we only had one on screen Captain, with Jason Issacs reprising the role of Captain Lorca. Spock is a bit of a gray area because we don't see him as Captain Spock in his WoK uniform, but as Commander Spock in the TOS uniform. Scotty technically counts but he was never the Captain of a starship. He just held the rank of Captain. (Reason he technically counts is he wore his engie vest even as a Captain).
    But now... we got one of the Big 5 Captains. Many believed that they were out of STO's budget.
    • Kirk - Previous falling out with some Cryptic Devs. No interest.
    • Picard - Certainly out of budget unless a deal can be made.
    • Sisko - No interest as far as ANYONE knows.
    • Janeway - Now in STO
    • Archer - no real way to bring in at this time.

He has retired from acting...offically.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I liked the story and the voice acting.. but I hated the mission.

I automatically hate any mission where I am forced to play a character other then my own, and it's 100 times worse if I have to fly a ship that isn't mine.

Story wise, it was a cool episode. It was great to have Janeway in the game, some of the dialogue was really cool and clever, the scenery and graphics were excellent.. but I'll never touch this mission again. I wish Cryptic would stop with this stuff where we play other characters or ships.. I absolutely hate it.

And no, playing my gimped out mirror equivalent doesn't count. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
    If you check the ships showing in the episode, at ship vendors, and look at their list of models, it becomes clear what the 12th Anniversary ship bundle will be and which ships there will be in it:
    20220126052404_1.png?raw=1
    20220126052452_1.png?raw=1
    20220126052546_1.png?raw=1
    20220126052727_1.png?raw=1
    #TASforSTO
  • dheffernandheffernan Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    Please, for the love of the baby kuvah'magh...stop writing.
    @Venture-1. @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that. Yes, that Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. You'll have to be specific; for me it was Tuesday.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    I hadn't actually played Firewall yet. So played that and went straight into Red Shift. I found myself quite intrigued by the unfolding story. Marshal Janeway had some unexpected tricks. I want the story that backs it up? I don't believe she actually has the additional role implied. I'm still intrigued. The Emperor's Prize was the most unexpected curveball. I had several guesses. All of them were wrong. Which is why it was good.

The use of likeness was spot on. Between that and voiceover work, I was thrilled to be sharing scenes with the characters.

I had no objections to participating in some scenes as someone other than (sort of) myself. We've had similar opportunity in the game to do this before. IMO, it's fun to change things up every so often. The vocalization of this character surprised me and made me smile. It was a clever way to do it. I liked the use of the cutscenes leading into the player's carrying it forward a bit more. I loved taking pauses to pose with Killy, Leeta and Janeway for screenshots. I snickered with the witty banter exchanges between those four characters.

I'd even go so far as to suggest one mission later on. Which has us carry our unique character for an entire episode. Ala In A Mirror Darkly from Star Trek Enterprise? Just once? I'd be entertained by something like that. As it would be more Trek.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,215 Arc User
    Sadly Picard, Sisko and Shatner likely won't ever be in game. :(
    I stream on Twitch, look for Avoozl_
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    Before you read the blog post, be warned that the image has big spoilers:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11507363-shadow's-advance-is-live!

The in-game loading screen also has such spoilers.

Perhaps I'm being dense, but what is the spoiler?

The third voice actor that they hadn't announced. A very well known (series-canon) character not previously seen in-game.

Very obvious image of the character in both places.

Except Persis Khambatta is dead.. that might be a tad inconvenient
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    avoozuul wrote: »
    Sadly Picard, Sisko and Shatner likely won't ever be in game. :(

I think Patrick Stewart and Scott Bakula would be willing to lend their voices to the game, as Stewart is always on Family Guy and American Dad, and stuff like that, he likes to do that kind of thing, perhaps the problem is price or some interesting story arc or something like that, also, Bakula seem to be a very aprochable person, maybe next year?
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Janeway's Starfleet Career clearly stalled once she was promoted to Admiral. Either that or we have an unintended explaination as to why she was made a Vice-Admiral so quickly after she brought Voyager home.

Eitherway, when you consider the last time she was seen in canon was 'First Contact' (2379), and she was already a Vice-Admiral by that time, this means she's held that same rank for over thirty years. Somewhat overdue a promotion I'd say!

Once you hit Admiral promotion pretty much relies on jumping into Dead Mens Shoes. And a few of those currently holding a flag live for centuries, like at’ age. Although you would think we lost a few during the Iconian War.

Given that she’s been dead for almost 25 years, that would take one helluva improvement to her health challenges. Borg Nantes maybe?

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,667 Arc User
    Please let the Illea shoes be in tailor! :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    Before this we only had one on screen Captain, with Jason Issacs reprising the role of Captain Lorca. Spock is a bit of a gray area because we don't see him as Captain Spock in his WoK uniform, but as Commander Spock in the TOS uniform. Scotty technically counts but he was never the Captain of a starship. He just held the rank of Captain. (Reason he technically counts is he wore his engie vest even as a Captain).
    But now... we got one of the Big 5 Captains. Many believed that they were out of STO's budget.
    • Janeway - Now in STO

They had the lead actress from TRIBBLE - Sonequa Martin-Green - who BTW is also now a Captain on her show, but yeah, the 'gatekeepers' here on the STO BBS seem loathe to acknowledge she was the first 'Star Trek series lead' that Cryptic managed to get.

And it is a good thing, and nice addition to the game even though for me (watching Star Trek first run since 1969 on NBC and STAR TREK (TOS) will always be my #1 series) - VOY was and still is the WORST written Star Trek series (I gave up watching it after "The 37's" aired, as I couldn't take it any longer...) - to each their own (or IDIC.) ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,324 Arc User
    • Janeway - Now in STO

They had the lead actress from TRIBBLE - Sonequa Martin-Green - who BTW is also now a Captain on her show, but yeah, the 'gatekeepers' here on the STO BBS seem loathe to acknowledge she was the first 'Star Trek series lead' that Cryptic managed to get.

And it is a good thing, and nice addition to the game even though for me (watching Star Trek first run since 1969 on NBC and STAR TREK (TOS) will always be my #1 series) - VOY was and still is the WORST written Star Trek series (I gave up watching it after "The 37's" aired, as I couldn't take it any longer...) - to each their own (or IDIC.) ;)

Honestly Burnham is in same gray area as Spock is as when she was added to the game she was still "Commander Burnham"
    edited January 2022
    Something I find funny is how Admiral Leeta and Marshall Janeway are allowed as "consultants" and to carry their uniform and weapons (daggers and, in Leeta's case, supposedly still having Pah Wraith powers and in Janeway's case, the freaking abilities to make Borg Drones and summon an adaptive shield), despite the former being as unhelpful and disrespectful as possible and the latter making it clear she's just teaming up with us for revenge.

But Neth Parr defecting, providing intel, directly assisting in storming the flagship of the Tzenkethi to capture the Admiral, ordering remaining forces to assist the Alliance against the Hur'q, renouncing her rank, willingly cooperating without asking anything in return? Na, throw the mini rhino-kaiju into the brig and strip her of her uniform until the PC shows up! XD
    #TASforSTO
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    Well, Leeta and Janeway are both human...sort of.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    Something I find funny is how Admiral Leeta and Marshall Janeway are allowed as "consultants" and to carry their uniform and weapons (daggers and, in Leeta's case, supposedly still having Pah Wraith powers and in Janeway's case, the freaking abilities to make Borg Drones and summon an adaptive shield), despite the former being as unhelpful and disrespectful as possible and the latter making it clear she's just teaming up with us for revenge.

But Neth Parr defecting, providing intel, directly assisting in storming the flagship of the Tzenkethi to capture the Admiral, ordering remaining forces to assist the Alliance against the Hur'q, renouncing her rank, willingly cooperating without asking anything in return? Na, throw the mini rhino-kaiju into the brig and strip her of her uniform until the PC shows up! XD

Actually, what's worse is the fact that (if you go by what happens in the mission) AFTER wantonly killing and BORGIFYING memebers of Starfleet (who were all killed in the end by our Mirror Counterpart) - Starfleet's STILL working with her (IE Mirror/partially Borgified Janeway), and giving her Starfleet classified intel. (IE - The background on the Illia entity.)

I guess Prime Janeway MUST be the current head of Section 31 to be able to do/allow all this so casually. That, or yeah the "Insaneway" moniker REALLY fits the character. ;)
    Post edited by crypticarmsman on
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."

Actually, what's worse is the fact that (if you go by what happens in the mission) AFTER wantonly killing and BORGIFYING memebers of Starfleet (who were all killed in the end by our Mirror Counterpart) - Starfleet's STILL working with her (IE Mirror/partially Borgified Janeway), and giving her Starfleet classified intel. (IE - The background on the Illia entity.)

I guess Pprime Janeway MUST be the current head of Section 31 to be able to do/allow all this so casually. That, or yeah the "Insaneway" moniker REALLY fits the character. ;)

The enemy of my enemy sorta thing.

And mirror Janeway sure has some powerful looking arms...could see her tearing phone books in half as a hobby. :#
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    edited January 2022
    I noticed Tuvok had a cameo on the USS Voyager bridge, but he's nowhere to be found on the bridge of the ISS Voyager.

I wonder what Mirror!Janeway did to him. Or maybe Mirror!Neelix did manage to kill someone with his cooking, something his Prime counterpart hadn't managed to.

Also, our Mirror universe uniforms still don't have access to the Terran badges the NPCs now have.
    #TASforSTO
    edited January 2022
    So some further feedback regarding Red Shift. I've been running my characters through it, one per day, to complete the event. So some thoughts after running it multiple times on multiple toons.

- The story remains great. The environment is fantastic (can we please get this as a new Fleet Holding!?!?!?)
    - The replay value gets steadily more painful. Because you feel like you do not have any agency in options in how the non stop fights go down. This type of scenario, where you have limited the players abilities down to a very narrow list of specific things, needs for the player to be able to in some way strategically effect the battles. By making clever use of terrain, stealth etc. But the mission has none of that sort of thing. The enemies need to be coming from specific directions. So we, the players can plan and setup our defense, or plan our attack. But enemies spawning randomly all around you makes that impossible. Yes I know transporters are a thing. They should have been put offline for this mission. (Heck! wasn't that a plot point?) This could be an incredibly fun mission, if the challenge was laid out as a problem for the player to solve by carefully using in game mechanics. But instead we get waves of teleporting Ensigns from all sides. This was almost a great mission design. Almost. As it is I as the player can never improve at this mission or do anything different to impact it. It's just stand and shoot in every direction.
    - So far to my eye Science toons are by far the most painful. Their abilities are weak. ineffective, and feel limited.
    - Oddly Engineers feel to me like the best. The Agony Ambush Turret is freakishly good, with an insanely short cooldown. The difference in gameplay frustration between the Sci Toom and the Eng is both remarkable and infuriating.
    - Why is there only the one reward option? It makes replay even more pointless and painful. Does it just keep spamming you the same Exocomp kit if you replay it on the same toon? Throw in an Agony Phaser rifle or something so at least we can populate the BOFF's.
    - Why does our evil twin from the mirror universe walk around with what would appear to be the second worst energy weapon in the game? Surpassed only by J'ula's pacifist pistols? I assume when we finally get to confront our evil twin the fight will be over in a fraction of a second. Because my toon walks around with a hoard of probably illegal weapons of mass destruction and villainy. While Mirror Me carries a Nerf Gun.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,800 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    • Janeway - Now in STO

We technically have Kirk, he's just unconscious in that Babel mission,

I guess Prime Janeway MUST be the current head of Section 31 to be able to do/allow all this so casually. That, or yeah the "Insaneway" moniker REALLY fits the character. ;)

Mirror Borg are actually pretty terrifying, despite this info being from Memory Beta, this is the only intel we have on the Borg of the Mirror Universe,
    In the mirror universe, the Borg were a race of cybernetically enhanced lifeforms which originated in the Delta Quadrant and spread, as the Borg Collective, throughout the galaxy, aiming to create a perfect race and bring order to the chaos of the galactic population by assimilating them—transforming them into drones of the Collective.

While the Borg in the mirror universe had the same hive-like mentality, the same assimilation methods, and the same advanced technology as their prime universe counterparts, the similarities ended there. The Borg of the mirror universe were proactively aggressive and attacked any intruder foolish enough to set foot on a Borg ship. Regardless of whether or not the intruder posed a threat to the ship, the Borg would use every resource at their disposal to assimilate the trespasser. In addition, while the Borg of the prime universe moved in a jerky, stiff-legged fashion, those of the mirror universe were much quicker thanks to advances made in nanoprobe technology. Attempts to aim a weapon at a mirror Borg, or avoid the injection tubules, were usually efforts in futility. In the mirror universe, the Borg are ruled over by a Borg King instead of a Borg Queen. (TNG - Mirror Universe novella: The Worst of Both Worlds)

Borg ships also differed in the mirror universe, as they were much larger. The cubes measured 10 kilometers or more on each side, and they were equipped with a vast array of weapons that could easily destroy a Vor'cha-class cruiser with a single shot.

just be glad we had to deal with the nerfed down versions of the Borg in Red Shift.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    Which makes me wonder how Marshall Janeway not only survived her trip through the Delta Quadrant, but managed to become the Borg Queen - if any of her encounters were anything like Prime Janeway's, most of them involved infiltration.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Which makes me wonder how Marshall Janeway not only survived her trip through the Delta Quadrant, but managed to become the Borg Queen - if any of her encounters were anything like Prime Janeway's, most of them involved infiltration.​​
    I think she just got Borg tech in her system.

Those would be BIG cubes. Like the fusion cubes from the Armada games. :#

And my virtual me in game uses the ambush turrets as a regular item, they are that good. B)

dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    Was kind of confused why Janeway said good to see you again. Isn't this the first time the player character has met Janeway? :/
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Was kind of confused why Janeway said good to see you again. Isn't this the first time the player character has met Janeway? :/

They retconned the Delta Rising story arc to include her.

Ah thanks for clearing that up.
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
    edited January 2022

Ah thanks for clearing that up.
    Basically they replaced Ethan Burgess and his cheerily annoying "WELL HELLO THERE!", with Janeway

The enemy of my enemy sorta thing.

And mirror Janeway sure has some powerful looking arms...could see her tearing phone books in half as a hobby. :#
    Orange is the New Black Janeway! Also remember Janeway is involved in these missions, so the Janeway corollary to the Prime Directive applies.
    "It's not evil if WE(I) Do It!"

This discussion has been closed.