Install Arc
Options

Shatner in game:

124»

Comments

• Options
    captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 896 Arc User
    I agree too, but not for that reason.

For me, fully voiced is limiting. Now that the game has gone fully voiced, every dialog must be voiced, and if they need a character to do something in game, they have to go get a voice actor (either the same one, which would be pricey in some cases as you say), or a different one to do the voice.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    But William Shatner is most definitely not James T. Kirk. There are far too many stories around about him being a TRIBBLE to people. I wouldn't get my hopes up about Shatner voicing Kirk ingame. Too many obstacles.

Of course he's not Kirk, he's real.

https://youtu.be/hsKfZ3wvLkE

...and common people.

https://youtu.be/cMXhWf0vE7c
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    When I saw this multi-page post the other day, I didn't open it because I knew what arguments would be inside, but it seemed appropriate to read through it after seeing this:

"Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    So STO can have Kirk ingame...but only after Shatner's dead and can't provide voicing anymore - guess Cryptic better get that xVASynth software warmed up.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    The last thing this game needs is Shatner in it. Didn't you guys see two rockets going into space. One with Shatner in it and the other just off screen with Shatner's ego in it
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    The last thing this game needs is Shatner in it. Didn't you guys see two rockets going into space. One with Shatner in it and the other just off screen with Shatner's ego in it

Exactly! It's the first thing this game needs! :D
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    As long as there is a spoken word piece:

https://youtu.be/yqf04PAeFnE
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited February 2022
    reyan01 wrote: »
    The question has been indirectly answered.

From Livestream on 10th February 2022:
    Cryptic has contacted Geroge Takei in the past to do a story, Cryptic can't afford him. Might try to get Phillipa one day, but probably can't afford her either.

Therefore, it's probably pretty safe to assume that between the facts:
    A: Shatner has STO blocked for reasons already outlined earlier in this thread, and little to no interest in either the game or doing voicework for it
    and
    B: Cryptic's outright admission that they can't afford Takei - and lets be honest with ourselves here; if they can't afford Takei, they can't afford Shatner

that Shatner's Kirk will never be in STO.

I thought this thread was dead, anyways If they do use Kirk's appearance after his death, they can use his voice lines from both TOS and TAS.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User

Cryptic has contacted Geroge Takei in the past to do a story, Cryptic can't afford him. Might try to get Phillipa one day, but probably can't afford her either.

A: Shatner has STO blocked for reasons already outlined earlier in this thread, and little to no interest in either the game or doing voicework for it
    and
    B: Cryptic's outright admission that they can't afford Takei - and lets be honest with ourselves here; if they can't afford Takei, they can't afford Shatner

I thought this thread was dead, anyways If they do use Kirk's appearance after his death, they can use his voice lines from both TOS and TAS.
    There's also the question of legal rights to his likeness; if he's disinclined to even talk with STO on anything, it's likely he's retained those rights and won't let the game use his image.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Admittedly I don't know how this stuff really works, but does Shatner personally approve every single use of his likeness or is it handled through an agent or something?

Because there are tons of Trek comics and things that still use the TOS characters. So it Shatner personally approving all of those? If not, the why would he have to personally approve his likeness for STO?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User

and

The difference there is though, Shatner is worth the money. Takei isn't!
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User

I'd have to agree. As you say, Michael Dorn's voicework was flat. And to be honest, the way Jason Isaacs delivered his lines gives the impression that he was just downright bored. Though to be fair, some of the actors who've done voicework for the game did great work.

ummm have you WATCHED Issac and Dorn act? well over half thier acting is VISUAL, the intensity of Issac's acting is through body language and facial expression. Ditto Dorn. Both are fine actors, but a good VOICE actor a good video actor does not necessarily make.
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »

and

There's also the question of legal rights to his likeness; if he's disinclined to even talk with STO on anything, it's likely he's retained those rights and won't let the game use his image.

Yeah, Bill was even in the commercial for a Star Trek game that did not have his likeness in it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hnBp7x2QAE
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    Is this a necro? Kinda smells like a necro...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @annemarie30 said:
    > ummm have you WATCHED Issac and Dorn act? well over half thier acting is VISUAL, the intensity of Issac's acting is through body language and facial expression. Ditto Dorn. Both are fine actors, but a good VOICE actor a good video actor does not necessarily make.

Indeed, there is this rumour or anecdote floating around that Dorn got the part because he stared down the casting crew of TNG without saying a single word during the auditions 😆

But he can do better voice over work, maybe doing Worf, a role he breathes and based on physical acting, feels off to voice act. In XCOM2, he plays the part of a alien resistance leader which is from a warrior culture like the Klingons are. It's very Worf-esque, but overall more lively.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    Yes, it's a necro. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.