test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Shatner in game:

captainperkinscaptainperkins Member Posts: 379 Arc User
Hey all,
I propose trying through professional channels to invite Shatner to be Kirk in Star Trek Online for a little mission involving either a flash back that ties in to a current story line (you play as Kirk on the Enterprise but then the end of the mission is your personal character in the 25th century,)

Features:

- Star Trek Undiscovered Country Bridge (Useable on all late 23rd century ships, Excelsior, Connie Refit, Miranda, Stargazer, Ambassador etc.)
- Star Trek 3 Search for Spock Hero Phaser Pistol (the one that has huge Knock back and when the orange beam hits the target waves of phaser energy ripple off target.)
- Kirk's Liesure Suit from Star trek's 3 and 4 the voyage home.
- Motion Picture Era Security Uniforms
- Update to the big Maroon uniforms overall including Admiral variant.
- Undiscovered Country Photon Torpedo (the Red lens flare torpedoes that Excelsior and Enterprise A blew up the BoP in Star Trek 6 with.)
- "Captain Under the Bridge" ground trait (your character does a dodge/roll and increases his threat presence-haha!)

Some kind of species Kirk helps before his retirement can then live on to meet your main character later in the 25th century where you check on them as Kirk promised the Federation would. This would just link your personal character's story to Captain Kirk's legacy giving papa Shatner a proper place in our beloved game.

Would love your ideas.
Also off topic entirely, the Stargazer deserves to be a T6 ship along with the Miranda and Excelsior and Connie. With Picard being back it's astounding to me we didn't get a T6 Stargazer, perhaps with this Kirk-centric mission we can see all late 23rd century(TmP era) ships brought up to T6 tier.

We have a sizeable number of Movie Era fans here. PPS: Please fix the phaser sound FX for the Undiscovered Country Phaser Assault Pistol, the Undiscovered Phaser Rifle has the proper sound, but the pistol is a generic TNG phaser sound. We need the Assault phaser noise! :)

(Hi Taco!)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    Doubt they could afford him.
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
  • naabal421#0722 naabal421 Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    I remember hearing that ages ago STO's first community manager did something to annoy Shatner to the point Shatner blocked him. I've never seen the proof of that but If its true I doubt Shatner would want to be in STO. And as Dragon said, I doubt they could afford him anyways with his ego.
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    Shatner's the only actual living Trek actor who's been to space. (Or "space", if you don't think he got high enough to count. But whatever.) His price would be WAY too high for Cryptic. Hell, I was surprised they could afford the actors they got, nevermind even thinking about the "legends" like Shatner or Stewart.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    Who gives a shat?! >>

I wonder if the problem is if the female actors will work if he's here. Or if some of the tekay rumors are true! 8p

• lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    I remember hearing that ages ago STO's first community manager did something to annoy Shatner to the point Shatner blocked him. I've never seen the proof of that but If its true I doubt Shatner would want to be in STO. And as Dragon said, I doubt they could afford him anyways with his ego.

Yeah that was branflakes and it did actually happen. He kept hounding shatner to get involved with STO on twitter in a way that came off as a trolling and passive aggressive fan type and shatner was having none of it, blocked him and then posted a screenshot showing he blocked him with a displeased comment and those screenshots ended up somewhere on the forums at some point. He made it pretty clear in no uncertain terms he had no interest or intention of having anything to do with STO after that incident. You'd think a community manager would know better than the behave like that. and like you said cryptic would never be able to afford him even if he was willing to forget about that incident
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    And the internet keeps on showing the dark side...of things.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    Given that Swear Trek (an account that posts Star Trek gifs with frequently scatalogical captions) got blocked by Shat for one from TAS with two big-headed aliens and Kirk saying, "You guys look like my [testes]", it's easy enough to believe that he blocked all contact from STO for similarly trivial reasons.

And frankly, I can't say that I miss his presence. Kirk is a major figure in Starfleet history, sure, but that's history. He's been listed as KIA since the Nexus incident back in the early 24th century, and we as Omniscient Viewers know he's been just plain dead since the late 24th. And I think we have enough historical figures running around the galaxy already, thanks - Kim and Paris and Holo-Burnham and Holo-Stamets and Abraham freaking Lincoln if that episode ever gets restored and...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »

Yeah that was branflakes and it did actually happen. He kept hounding shatner to get involved with STO on twitter in a way that came off as a trolling and passive aggressive fan type and shatner was having none of it, blocked him and then posted a screenshot showing he blocked him with a displeased comment and those screenshots ended up somewhere on the forums at some point. He made it pretty clear in no uncertain terms he had no interest or intention of having anything to do with STO after that incident. You'd think a community manager would know better than the behave like that. and like you said cryptic would never be able to afford him even if he was willing to forget about that incident

And I, personally, couldn't care less about Shatner's Kirk appearing in the game. Shatner's ego, and the payment he'd expect, are too massive for the game. He's an overrated, massively arrogant, bore and the game loses nothing by not having him in it.

It would never work anyway - our character is supposed to be the hero of the story and there is no way on god's earth Shatner would tolerate a story where the universe doesn't revolve around, and isn't saved by, Kirk.
    Agreed. Star Trek owes a lot to Shatner, and I like him in TOS and the movies just fine, but he's shown time and again that he's an arrogant, self-serving jerk. His addition to the VO cast would add little to the game. IMO Tawny Newsome and/or Jack Quaid (Captain Boimler anyone?) would be better additions to STO
  • whistlerdavidwhistlerdavid Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    Hey all,
    I propose trying through professional channels to invite Shatner to be Kirk in Star Trek Online for a little mission involving either a flash back that ties in to a current story line (you play as Kirk on the Enterprise but then the end of the mission is your personal character in the 25th century,)

Features:

- Star Trek Undiscovered Country Bridge (Useable on all late 23rd century ships, Excelsior, Connie Refit, Miranda, Stargazer, Ambassador etc.)
    - Star Trek 3 Search for Spock Hero Phaser Pistol (the one that has huge Knock back and when the orange beam hits the target waves of phaser energy ripple off target.)
    - Kirk's Liesure Suit from Star trek's 3 and 4 the voyage home.
    - Motion Picture Era Security Uniforms
    - Update to the big Maroon uniforms overall including Admiral variant.
    - Undiscovered Country Photon Torpedo (the Red lens flare torpedoes that Excelsior and Enterprise A blew up the BoP in Star Trek 6 with.)
    - "Captain Under the Bridge" ground trait (your character does a dodge/roll and increases his threat presence-haha!)

Some kind of species Kirk helps before his retirement can then live on to meet your main character later in the 25th century where you check on them as Kirk promised the Federation would. This would just link your personal character's story to Captain Kirk's legacy giving papa Shatner a proper place in our beloved game.

Would love your ideas.
    Also off topic entirely, the Stargazer deserves to be a T6 ship along with the Miranda and Excelsior and Connie. With Picard being back it's astounding to me we didn't get a T6 Stargazer, perhaps with this Kirk-centric mission we can see all late 23rd century(TmP era) ships brought up to T6 tier.

We have a sizeable number of Movie Era fans here. PPS: Please fix the phaser sound FX for the Undiscovered Country Phaser Assault Pistol, the Undiscovered Phaser Rifle has the proper sound, but the pistol is a generic TNG phaser sound. We need the Assault phaser noise! :)

(Hi Taco!)

i have been hopeing for the same thing with picard however i think we will not see them odds are they cost to much. same goes for Q the first time a q was in game most people were disappointed it wasn't John de Lancie
  • dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 256 Arc User

This was the 'incident' you refer to:
    O6ZXB9s.jpg

And I, personally, couldn't care less about Shatner's Kirk appearing in the game. Shatner's ego, and the payment he'd expect, are too massive for the game. He's an overrated, massively arrogant, bore and the game loses nothing by not having him in it.

It would never work anyway - our character is supposed to be the hero of the story and there is no way on god's earth Shatner would tolerate a story where the universe doesn't revolve around, and isn't saved by, Kirk.

Our character hasn't been the hero of the story since at least Victory is Life.
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,390 Arc User
    Every time you read trivia about the Star Trek movies, there is about a 100% chance that every time the writers tried to bring Shatner for a cameo and to have someone else save the day, he wanted the whole movie to be rewritten so he could become one of the main characters and the one who solves the problem, whether it made sense or not.
    For instance, about ST2009:
    Orci and Kurtzman wrote a scene for William Shatner, where old Spock gives his younger self a recorded message by Kirk from the previous timeline. "It was basically a Happy Birthday wish knowing that Spock was going to go off to Romulus, and Kirk would probably be dead by the time," and it would have transitioned into Shatner reciting "Where no man has gone before". But Shatner wanted to share Nimoy's major role, and did not want a cameo, despite his character's death in Star Trek: Generations. He suggested the film canonize his novels where Kirk is resurrected, but Abrams decided if his character was accompanying Nimoy's, it would have become a film about the resurrection of Kirk, and not about introducing the new versions of the characters. Nimoy disliked Kirk's death, but felt resurrecting Kirk would also be detrimental to this film.
    There is also the fact it's because of him the Enterprise suddenly has the same gaseous anomaly tech to track Chang's BoP and thus, the Excelsior doesn't do much in the battle outside of tanking a few shots and helping blowing it up for good.

And there is of course the whole "Takei wanted Sulu to be Captain of his own ship since WoK, but Shatner wouldn't let the writers allow him".
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    There's no chance that Kirk at least the Shatner version of Kirk would show up in STO, not unless his character is either unconscious or dead, however DSC, SNW or Kelvin Timeline versions of Kirk are optional, not ideal but It is a way to add Kirk but without the Shatner baggage attached.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,317 Arc User
    Doubt they could afford him.

If he is told what his role will be i am sure he will do it for free.
    He will be launched from a torpedo tube and become an instant Gravity Well..

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    He. Would. Do. It. In. A. HEARTBEAT.

He'd be in any film, any series, STO...but they seemingly don't want him :-/
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I highly doubt Shatner would ever be willing to do it, they'd have a better chance of getting Chris Pine imo (though he probably wouldn't be easy to get either due to cost and/or scheduling issues). Unless SNW introduces a new Kirk I personally wouldn't expect the character to ever appear in STO.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    kayajay wrote: »
    He. Would. Do. It. In. A. HEARTBEAT.

He'd be in any film, any series, STO...but they seemingly don't want him :-/

It's quite the opposite Shatner just doesn't want anything to do with STO, that ship sailed years ago.
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    the Nexus incident back in the early 24th century

Still the late 23rd, actually. The Enterprise-B was commissioned in 2293, the same year as the events of Star Trek VI. The TNG portion of Generations was in 2371.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • megainexoros#5925 megainexoros Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    I see there is nothing but love for The Shatner.

It would be nice to hear him in game, but it seems like it just won't happen. He's been to space, and had an epiphany; he's seen death as he looked down at our dreary little gulag of a world.
    westmetals wrote: »
    honestly i'd the bought likeness rights to Kirk, not Shatner, and had a VO do a good kirk VA

They already have rights to the character, as part of the general Star Trek intellectual property. However, the physical appearance (likeness) belongs to the actor (and would have to be licensed separately, and apparently has not been).

That's why, back when we had the Foundry, the rule that Foundry authors had to follow, was that canon characters could be referred to in dialogue (including name, descriptive information, references to canon events, etcetera) but NOT appear physically.

The developers, obviously, aren't under exactly the same rule in all cases - they can make exception for characters that they DO have likeness rights licenses for - but that's a case by case basis that we are not necessarily 100% aware of, and the exceptions themselves aren't consistent (in some cases they only licensed the appearances, notably for most of the TOS holo-BOFFs, while in most other cases they also hired the actor for voice-work).

What about the Chris Pine version of Kirk, Just make that one a temporal agent, BTW I'm kind of curious about what JJ Romulans look like since Nero and his crew is from the prime timeline universe, I figured that they wouldn't look too different.
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    Quite frankly, if they bring in the old Kirk for whatever reason, there's a pretty easy solution for VA.

Just ask Vic Mignogna, he's the best for the job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt0llURkdo
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Just ask Vic Mignogna

not-just-no-593dd6.jpg
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    Just ask Vic Mignogna

not-just-no-593dd6.jpg
    Can't agree with this more, getting Mignogna involved would be a staggeringly bad idea
    Why not bring Shatner back as a Gorn Human Hybrid.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,390 Arc User
    Just ask Vic Mignogna, he's the best for the job.
    Mignogna WAS in the game before his characters (Amiral Garret and Somat) were recast due to what he did.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • megainexoros#5925 megainexoros Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    What's to love? I mean, I know he has his fans - and each to their own. But I find him to be a tiresome, selfish, overrated, arrogant bore. There is a good reason that he hasn't appeared in any Trek post-generations; as @saurializard mentioned, any time anyone has tired giving him a cameo he's tried to commandeer the script to make the story all about him and then demands a massive pay packet for it.

Indeed, he is irascible...and a wee bit obtuse when it comes to his fame, but have you seen George Takei? lol Despite both being monumental d-bags, I'd still like to hear them in game, Uhura as well, before they pass on into the either. But, it won't happen; at this point it is what it is.

Hmm, maybe they can get Chris Pine to voice Kirk... *runs for cover*
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    honestly i'd the bought likeness rights to Kirk, not Shatner, and had a VO do a good kirk VA

They already have rights to the character, as part of the general Star Trek intellectual property. However, the physical appearance (likeness) belongs to the actor (and would have to be licensed separately, and apparently has not been).

That's why, back when we had the Foundry, the rule that Foundry authors had to follow, was that canon characters could be referred to in dialogue (including name, descriptive information, references to canon events, etcetera) but NOT appear physically.

The developers, obviously, aren't under exactly the same rule in all cases - they can make exception for characters that they DO have likeness rights licenses for - but that's a case by case basis that we are not necessarily 100% aware of, and the exceptions themselves aren't consistent (in some cases they only licensed the appearances, notably for most of the TOS holo-BOFFs, while in most other cases they also hired the actor for voice-work).

What about the Chris Pine version of Kirk, Just make that one a temporal agent, BTW I'm kind of curious about what JJ Romulans look like since Nero and his crew is from the prime timeline universe, I figured that they wouldn't look too different.

Then they would need Chris Pine's permission.

He has become too expensive too...

52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
This discussion has been closed.