What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Poking fun at Discovery.

Comments

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Time travel doesn't exist, tho.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,392 Arc User
    Time travel doesn't exist, tho.​​
    T'Pol: "I inquire you to get it right: "The Vulcan Science Directorate has determined that time travel is impossible."."
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    I sometimes wonder if Disco was created entirely to get people's backs up. I see people fighting so furiously to justify things that I find awful, but it's like an uphill battle.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    kayajay wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder if Disco was created entirely to get people's backs up. I see people fighting so furiously to justify things that I find awful, but it's like an uphill battle.

You must be new to Staar Trek Fandom as this type of thing ALWAYS occurs when a 'new' Star Trek series hits the scene. Been that way since the Star trek Animated series (circa 1973); and IF you think TNG was somehow universally accepted and loved by Trek fans when it first hit the airwaves in 1987... :D
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User

You must be new to Star Trek Fandom as this type of thing ALWAYS occurs when a 'new' Star Trek series hits the scene. Been that way since the Star trek Animated series (circa 1973); and IF you think TNG was somehow universally accepted and loved by Trek fans when it first hit the airwaves in 1987... :D
    Yes, they do. They also don't know about the furor on the early Internet when DS9 premiered ("that's not Star Trek!" "Boldly going nowhere!" "Sisko isn't even a captain!"). Or VOY (predictable sexism, mostly). Or ENT ("it's too advanced!"). EVERY new Trek series has experienced backlash from alleged "fans", even Prodigy ("Star Trek isn't for kids!").
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »

You must be new to Star Trek Fandom as this type of thing ALWAYS occurs when a 'new' Star Trek series hits the scene. Been that way since the Star trek Animated series (circa 1973); and IF you think TNG was somehow universally accepted and loved by Trek fans when it first hit the airwaves in 1987... :D
    Yes, they do. They also don't know about the furor on the early Internet when DS9 premiered ("that's not Star Trek!" "Boldly going nowhere!" "Sisko isn't even a captain!"). Or VOY (predictable sexism, mostly). Or ENT ("it's too advanced!"). EVERY new Trek series has experienced backlash from alleged "fans", even Prodigy ("Star Trek isn't for kids!").

I'd never call it "Star Trek for kids". I also loved every Star Trek up until Enterprise. I remember watching reruns of TOS, my first ever episode of TNG couldn't have been better, because it was "Conundrum", so I didn't realize MacDuff was an imposter. Voyager was my first true love, from the moment I bought it in the video ship, thinking it was just TNG with a new ship and DS9 was dark Trek in a delicious way. I'm a first four series and 10 film, without condition, Trek lover.

I'm sorry, but Enterprise, the JJ-Verse and Disco make me sadder and sadder with each sink closer to the bottom of the barrel.

At the moment, Prodigy is my only salvation...because it's Trek as I knew and loved it.

So...are you going to call me "new to the fandom" and my views and opinions meaningless, uniformed and trite?
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    I would prefer you guys not snipe at each other at all...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I would prefer you guys not snipe at each other at all...

Amen.
  • Options
    Amen.

Goes both ways. So please... BOTH parties at least try to not charge at each other or give a reason to do so?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    dewolf13dewolf13 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    I must say, Discovery is the only Star Trek so far I can't stomach. (This should go without saying, but that isn't a criticism or dig against anyone who likes the show, as we all have our own art we enjoy, and it's all great fundamentally.)

And not because it's new, because I actually don't mind Picard -- it suffers from some of the same faults (like our enlightened future selves behaving very 21st-century hip), but it's got a pretty nice story so far.

I tried to watch Discovery when it first came out, gave up around halfway through season 1. After watching Picard and liking it enough, I thought 'maybe I was too harsh on Discovery', and gave it another shot about a year ago. But the second time around I couldn't even get past the third episode.

There's this phenomenon my girlfriend and I have discussed regarding modern TV and movies compared to older stuff, where nowadays the characters are much younger and/or less mature -- to the point where it seems unrealistic. Case in point: this show 'Another Life' on Netflix, which I thought was going to be awesome because Katie Sackhoff...but it was probably the single worst show either of us ever saw. The 'elite astronauts' were a bunch of kids, and the conflict in the plot was like something out of a teen movie. (And we don't say this out of age bitterness, as the cast members are our age or a couple years younger.) We started laughing at the writing from the second scene involving a 'scientist', and once we met the main cast aboard the spaceship, it was just laugh after laugh (in a bad way, of course).

The casting in Discovery is not quite as 'everyone must be young and attractive' as Another Life, but compared to Trek like TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT...where the cast are mature (not necessarily old), it just makes the characters less believable for me. One of the episodes that really captured that sentiment of 'this is not like other trek' for me was when they converted their lounge to a nightclub and were having a rave. I think that's the episode where I gave up the first time around.

Anyways, I wish I could get into Discovery because I really love the idea of new Trek adventures, but I just can't. But at least there is Picard, rewatching TNG through ENT, and actually these various novel series I just discovered like 'Star Trek Voyager: Homecoming' and 'Star Trek Enterprise: The Good That Men Do', which continue the stories that I didn't want to end.
  • Options
    dewolf13 wrote: »
    I must say, Discovery is the only Star Trek so far I can't stomach. (This should go without saying, but that isn't a criticism or dig against anyone who likes the show, as we all have our own art we enjoy, and it's all great fundamentally.)

And not because it's new, because I actually don't mind Picard -- it suffers from some of the same faults (like our enlightened future selves behaving very 21st-century hip), but it's got a pretty nice story so far.

I tried to watch Discovery when it first came out, gave up around halfway through season 1. After watching Picard and liking it enough, I thought 'maybe I was too harsh on Discovery', and gave it another shot about a year ago. But the second time around I couldn't even get past the third episode.

There's this phenomenon my girlfriend and I have discussed regarding modern TV and movies compared to older stuff, where nowadays the characters are much younger and/or less mature -- to the point where it seems unrealistic. Case in point: this show 'Another Life' on Netflix, which I thought was going to be awesome because Katie Sackhoff...but it was probably the single worst show either of us ever saw. The 'elite astronauts' were a bunch of kids, and the conflict in the plot was like something out of a teen movie. (And we don't say this out of age bitterness, as the cast members are our age or a couple years younger.) We started laughing at the writing from the second scene involving a 'scientist', and once we met the main cast aboard the spaceship, it was just laugh after laugh (in a bad way, of course).

The casting in Discovery is not quite as 'everyone must be young and attractive' as Another Life, but compared to Trek like TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT...where the cast are mature (not necessarily old), it just makes the characters less believable for me. One of the episodes that really captured that sentiment of 'this is not like other trek' for me was when they converted their lounge to a nightclub and were having a rave. I think that's the episode where I gave up the first time around.

Anyways, I wish I could get into Discovery because I really love the idea of new Trek adventures, but I just can't. But at least there is Picard, rewatching TNG through ENT, and actually these various novel series I just discovered like 'Star Trek Voyager: Homecoming' and 'Star Trek Enterprise: The Good That Men Do', which continue the stories that I didn't want to end.

You know, the ages of the characters is something that gets to me too. It's like in a blockbuster movie when the expert in their field is a 20-year old, because having a 60-year old wouldn't be sexy enough for the audience. I want to see someone with some age to them, because it's believable they'd become chief medical officer (Bones), captain (Picard), chief of security (Tuvok), but when everyone is in their 20's and very early 30's, it just takes you out of the moment. It's the Wesley Crusher thing of...this is the Federation flagship and someone who went to the Academy, became a full-bird Ensign and even Lieutenant, should be piloting the Enterprise...and yet, we've got a 17-year old doing it?
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    dewolf13 wrote: »

You know, the ages of the characters is something that gets to me too. It's like in a blockbuster movie when the expert in their field is a 20-year old, because having a 60-year old wouldn't be sexy enough for the audience. I want to see someone with some age to them, because it's believable they'd become chief medical officer (Bones), captain (Picard), chief of security (Tuvok), but when everyone is in their 20's and very early 30's, it just takes you out of the moment. It's the Wesley Crusher thing of...this is the Federation flagship and someone who went to the Academy, became a full-bird Ensign and even Lieutenant, should be piloting the Enterprise...and yet, we've got a 17-year old doing it?

True. The TOS Kirk was, at 32, the youngest cruiser captain in Starfleet history up until Picard did it at 29. Then in the 2009 movie the Kelvin version of Kirk made captain of the Enterprise just out of the academy. It is absolutely ridiculous.
  • Options
    I see remember seeing that..."film" in 2009 and I think my heart dropped into my stomach within three-minutes. By the end of the film, it was in the basement of the cinema. By the second film, it was in Australia.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,318 Arc User
    I wonder if it is due to the name "Discovery" that the vessel gets lost at every turn...
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    I don't know... I mean at least Discovery wasn't shot across the galaxy like Voyager was.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I don't know... I mean at least Discovery wasn't shot across the galaxy like Voyager was.

They get shot to parallel universes and forward in time farther than Voyager ever has. Then there is the issue that Discovery can make Voyager's travels look like a weekend getaway. The only ship that has more mileage than Discovery is Enterprise-D since it was transported to the Triangulum Galaxy by the Traveler.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Triangulum is a weekend getaway compared to the literal EDGE OF THE UNIVERSE!​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.