Install Arc

Ideas for improve to game

Comments

• mikewallace#2209 mikewallace Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    Right away....

GET RID OFF HALLOWEEN EVENT!

I know the kiddies like it.

However, is this really a kiddie MMO. IMO not the world celebrates it and a bit egocentric for one culture to think everyone one else LIKES it.
    Even though there was precedent with one obscure episode in TNT it did not feel like TREK. I hope they make it a weekend event rather than a long daily...I found it odd.

Just a suggestion. Can't wait to be back to REAL TREK again!
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    Right away....

GET RID OFF HALLOWEEN EVENT!

I know the kiddies like it.

However, is this really a kiddie MMO. IMO not the world celebrates it and a bit egocentric for one culture to think everyone one else LIKES it.
    Even though there was precedent with one obscure episode in TNT it did not feel like TREK. I hope they make it a weekend event rather than a long daily...I found it odd.

Just a suggestion. Can't wait to be back to REAL TREK again!

Who cares whether Halloween is celebrated worldwide or not, the episode the event is (loosely) based on wasn't about Halloween itself at all, it was a deconstruction of the then-popular sci-fi/horror concept of pulling cultural "Id monsters" out of the subconscious to use against a foe.

In Catspaw the aliens tried it but didn't realize that those "Id monsters" had become so commercialized and tame (the Disney effect as some call that taming of villains/monsters) in Federation culture that it did not have the expected terrorizing effect. It was further deconstructed by the fact that despite their highly advanced technology, Korob and Sylvia were screwups on par with Boris and Natasha from the Bullwinkle cartoons.

Traditional Star Trek was soft sci-fi (not space opera like it has been since 2009) and examining social constructs and concepts like that in an entertaining way is what soft sci-fi like Trek is all about.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,596 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    webby#1643 wrote: »
    Be able to buy Zen with ingame money (so the poor players can buy also nice gear and ships (like me))

Already implemented in only way it's possible (aka the Dil-exchange) it's just not working properly due to there not being enough demand of Dilithium
    You can blame the Whales for crashing the DilEx, there's supposed to be a steady flow of Zen, but instead they decided to hoard it all, however you know what would really fix the DilEx character bound T6 Novas, T6 Novas have been in Demand for years, so making them character bound Dil store items would slightly improve Dil's value as a currency.

That's not the fault of the whales -- they spend their money where there's something worth spending money on. They don't control what that is. That's the fault of Cryptic (or higher up) dictating every new and shiny be put onto the zen store or in gamble boxes. Dilithium is basically worthless to many whales, so why would they buy it?

They should, on occasion, add 'lockbox quality' ships (like, every 3rd or 4th one) to the phoenix prize pack instead. Watch dilithium get vacuumed out of the game at record pace, a whole lot of zen being bought and traded (because you can't trade prize pack ships), and dilithium exchange rates come back down a bit. Not lots of ships, mind you. Just a couple a year. Enough to keep infusing dilithium with value.

For example: release the Lower Decks Cerritos to the phoenix prize pack instead of (most likely Infinity) lockboxes.

put a legendary 10 coupon in the phoenix boxes. you get one you can buy one of the legendary 10th anniversary ships.. THTA would empty the dil surplus
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    Y'know, Mike, you never had to run the Halloween event at all. I did it once, didn't really enjoy myself, realized the prize for grinding it was a kit module I didn't want, and proceeded to play, as you put it, "REAL TREK" the entire time. It's not like the Bloodmoon event in CO, where it's happening all over the map and is difficult to avoid - you have to deliberately sign up for the TFO in order for it to affect you at all.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    Get us a new Community Manager.
    And that would help... how, exactly?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User

Sorry, not updated on the current happenings...did we lose another one?

52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    Anyways one of the main issues with the Dil Ex is Demand, Dil Store gets TRIBBLE, while the stuff people demanded for gets put in the C-Store, if you are supplying TRIBBLE nobody asked for then you're part of the problem, see what's in high demand and sell it in the dil store, and BTW overpricing stuff is also a good way to drive people away from your product, just like what happened to the Maco uniforms.
    More Lukari Content and Improve the Deferi's culture, their way of balance is suicidal, I don't want to help a race that doesn't want to defend itself, I will personally hold the planet hostage and will lethally shoot Deferi at every hour, I don't care if I have to break them mentally or physically, the Romulan people don't care about other specie's cultures or the Federation's Prime Directive.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    More Lukari Content and Improve the Deferi's culture, their way of balance is suicidal, I don't want to help a race that doesn't want to defend itself, I will personally hold the planet hostage and will lethally shoot Deferi at every hour, I don't care if I have to break them mentally or physically, the Romulan people don't care about other specie's cultures or the Federation's Prime Directive.

Those are both good ideas. Lukari, Deferi, (and Kobali) are prime candidates for classic society-story sci-fi.

Lukari have the frictions of reintegration with the Kentari and the intertwined elements of a status genre thread for the Lukari with their return to a spacefaring society and finding their new place in the scheme of things, and the back-from-the-brink society-thread of the Kentari weaning off of their self-destructive tendencies. So far the game introduces the groundwork but then does nothing more with it.

The Deferi are uninteresting so far because their Balance philosophy has sunk into a fatalistic stasis just asking (in a plotting sense) for something to shake them out of the rut and transmute their static Balance into a dynamic one, but STO dropped that plot line before it really got started because of negative feedback about the "before" state.

That is a danger that the long release cycles in games compared to other segmented media like TV or comics, they do not move fast enough so people think of the slow/creepy/dull/whatever beginning as the whole thing and react accordingly.

The story structure itself is a classic, taking the mundane and isolated (like Hobbits for instance) and pushing them into adapting their outlook to an unusual outside stress and realizing their potential. If they follow up on it again it could be great, though probably hard to pull off because of the logistics of the segmented format.

In the same vein, the Kobali have hinted at a classic society genre story mixed with lite horror in the fact that every human-Kobali has so far been Kyn'steya, essentially being the original person in the alien body instead of being a more or less amnesiac with only distanced memories from their previous life.

The Iconian war and other Delta conflicts could have raised the percentage of those Kyn'steya prone human based Kobalis to a point that could cause significant ripples in Kobali society, especially with the outside stress of the other Delta races prejudice and the internal one possibly driving the Kobali into a closer relationship with the Federation faction of the Alliance.

And yes, the "undead" horror aspect is not for everyone, but since other games have actual undead (even zombies) available as player characters I suspect the outcry against them was more from an extra-vocal minority rather than the general playerbase.

Then of course there is ship aspect, the Lukari "UFO mythos" ship style (so far they have the classic Saucer, Triangle, and Boomerang) and the Kobali Samsar are both interesting styles that I for one would like to see more of, and I am sure others would too. It would be especially great if any new Lukari ships had the already made Lukari bridge, and the same thing with the Kobali ships (assuming the Samsar bridge artwork means they actually made the bridge in the first place).
  • aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited November 2021

Do people have to sell zen for dil on the market to make it happen. Could it be like a dunk your teacher game and it's game wide?

And the error thing can go either way. sometimes it's not a matter of errors. It's simply not enough errors. then it might become something far more interesting than fixing them!
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    The issue with Deferi at least to me was they really didn't seem like they would be willing to change, they were "true neutral" (to use the D&D term) in the most simplistic and stupid way, where balance is essentially "I did a good thing so for thing to be in balance I must either do a bad thing or allow bad things to happen" which ignores that things rarely are that simple and true balance demands that you look at things by their merit.

Now the Deferi aren't unsalvageable and I could see 2 ways of doing that, first is that way Phoenixc suggested that have realize that they thought about balance incorrectly (or more likely that as with Vulcans in ENT their ideology got corrupted over time from "all things have a natural balance where they are at harmony" to "all things must happen in equal amounts even if it means we die") or second Cryptic redoes those episodes to have Deferi balance be something more nuanced and complex then it is now.

Now you can still have the Deferi need our help even if their idea of balance is more complex, it's just the idea they can't restore balance without our help rather then us having to save them from their own suicidally stupid ideology.
    More dialogue options and choices that matter, Star Trek was never a pew pew fest, It was more about talking your opponent down and even then going into combat was a last resort.
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    Ideas to improve the game?

Taking the time to actually balance various abilities would be nice so there's more diversity in what people use beyond "hello I am herald stick/cold fusion/crystal-or-ba'ul turret drone #3678535"

Putting all past-event items into the phoenix prize pack instead of trying to sell some of them via the zen store in 8000z packs like some kind of greedy ferengi would be nice, too.

Change bridge officers to be able to use kit modules (with some being excluded of course) instead of the tacky training manual system it uses now. Get rid of skill ranks too. What is this, vintage wow?
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
This discussion has been closed.