test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Who is the Terran Emperor? (Spoilers)

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    Also, people today having one set of pronouns with an appearance that doesn't match is just a limitation of money and time (HRT and top/bottom surgery are both expensive, and in the case of surgery, takes time to do AND heal up from) - both of which would no longer be an issue several hundred years later, even for the Terrans.

If completely altering someone's appearance to make them look like another species (especially a species that doesn't even fit within their genus - example being Kira Nerys becoming Illiana Ghemor) can be done and reversed so easily it can be done within the Star Trek equivalent of General Practitioner's office...permanently changing body structure and primary/secondary sexual characteristics should be the equivalent of getting a haircut today - in, out, half an hour, boom done.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    Also, people today having one set of pronouns with an appearance that doesn't match is just a limitation of money and time (HRT and top/bottom surgery are both expensive, and in the case of surgery, takes time to do AND heal up from) - both of which would no longer be an issue several hundred years later, even for the Terrans.​​

Yeah the pronouns argument really doesn't work with Trek, since they wouldn't do that anymore, as far as I know the He/Him pronouns are referred to guys in general, while yeah the Terran Emperor could be trans, but even transiting would be instantaneous is Star Trek due to their advanced medical knowledge and technology.
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    It won't be Spock, just sayin'. My TOS knowledge is limited, but, if memory serves well, in the original TOS episode with the Mirror universe, it was Mirror Spock, in the end, who, thru his logic, began to see that Evil Empires, to put it a bit childishly, were unsustainable. He was meant to be the catalyst, as it were, for the Mirror side to turn themselves eventually (a beautiful, uplifting message of the era, come to think of it).

Plus it's kind of implied that the mirror Spock was killed after the Terran Empire was conquered by the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance... and since in the STO canon (mainly the blurb about the console on the mirror Gagarin), there was no Genesis in the mirror universe, he would not have had that avenue of return anyway.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    Flaming/trolling redacted. -- WingedHussar
    Post edited by wingedhussar#7584 on
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    Also, people today having one set of pronouns with an appearance that doesn't match is just a limitation of money and time (HRT and top/bottom surgery are both expensive, and in the case of surgery, takes time to do AND heal up from) - both of which would no longer be an issue several hundred years later, even for the Terrans.​​

Yeah the pronouns argument really doesn't work with Trek, since they wouldn't do that anymore, as far as I know the He/Him pronouns are referred to guys in general, while yeah the Terran Emperor could be trans, but even transiting would be instantaneous is Star Trek due to their advanced medical knowledge and technology.

Well the surgery would be instant but the rest well it's implied "not so much". Also while the Federation has no issues with LGBTQ+ people Terrans might (at least when it comes to the "TQ+" part).

That said what Cryptic have teased suggests they have a pre-existing character in mind and I don't recall any Trek Actor (for a major character that is) coming out as trans in recent years so that suggests who ever the Emperor is they're probably a cis male (again based on what we've been told so far).

While Terrans aren't always 100% honest with things they say, it's also best to not overthink it and assume there's at least some truth to what they say unless there's reason to assume otherwise.

So the Terran Emperor is most likely a cis male Terran, though if they wanted to throw a curve ball it could be Sam Witwer doing a shout out to Emperor Palpatine of Star Wars but as a Terran instead of a Sith. It would match what we've been told so far, male yes, Terran kind of, needing VO who might not be available yes.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    Oh, hang on...if we're playing the gender pronoun game, then does that mean the Disco not-Trill-Trill? Aka, a totally irrelevant thing that was added to a show set in the future where it wouldn't have even been an issue, but was shoehorned into the show, because they want to be seen as PC relevant?
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I think the Emperor is..... Burham's Red Angel Suit!
    When Michael Burham first activated that suit little did she know it would absorb her life-energy and become a living entity in it's own right, much like Spider-man's black costume would later become one of his greatest foes. It was initially very helpful, even helping Burham save the universe. But after Burham sent it back in time with instructions to self-destruct the Suit experienced an unstable identity crisis and after attacking Starfleet it escaped with the highly classified details of what really happened to the USS Discovery. To make matters worse the Suit escaped to the mirror universe where we learn less and less about it and how it became Emperor!

Will the Suit return once again? And on who's side?

Urgh...I'd give my right Tribble for whoever it is to just be un-Disco-related.
    kayajay wrote: »
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I think the Emperor is..... Burham's Red Angel Suit!
    When Michael Burham first activated that suit little did she know it would absorb her life-energy and become a living entity in it's own right, much like Spider-man's black costume would later become one of his greatest foes. It was initially very helpful, even helping Burham save the universe. But after Burham sent it back in time with instructions to self-destruct the Suit experienced an unstable identity crisis and after attacking Starfleet it escaped with the highly classified details of what really happened to the USS Discovery. To make matters worse the Suit escaped to the mirror universe where we learn less and less about it and how it became Emperor!

Will the Suit return once again? And on who's side?

Urgh...I'd give my right Tribble for whoever it is to just be un-Disco-related.

what if it's Picard related, imagine Captain Rios being Terran Emperor with his hologram look a likes.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    Oh, hang on...if we're playing the gender pronoun game, then does that mean the Disco not-Trill-Trill? Aka, a totally irrelevant thing that was added to a show set in the future where it wouldn't have even been an issue, but was shoehorned into the show, because they want to be seen as PC relevant?
    A. your bigotry is showing.

B. The emergency that led to a human host permanently bonding with a Trill symbiont (not the first time such a pairing has happened - Riker played host to a Trill once, as you might recall) is still several centuries in our future, and almost certainly wouldn't have happened under an Imperial regime, as they wouldn't risk a human life to save a mere alien.

So C. cool your jets. Logically, whoever the Emperor is can't be any older than TNG-era. If Beltran hadn't developed an allergy to Star Trek, I'd be wondering about the possibility of Emperor Chakotay.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    jonsills wrote: »

B. The emergency that led to a human host permanently bonding with a Trill symbiont (not the first time such a pairing has happened - Riker played host to a Trill once, as you might recall) is still several centuries in our future, and almost certainly wouldn't have happened under an Imperial regime, as they wouldn't risk a human life to save a mere alien.

So C. cool your jets. Logically, whoever the Emperor is can't be any older than TNG-era. If Beltran hadn't developed an allergy to Star Trek, I'd be wondering about the possibility of Emperor Chakotay.

A. ME? A BIGOT? You better take that back.

I don't care about B. and C, but I certainly do about being called a bigot.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    You know who'd be hilarious as emperor?

Kurland, here!
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    thay8472 wrote: »
    lnblade wrote: »
    who it is? do NOT click if you don't wanna know
    you
    Your solution doesn't work. The emperor is always referred to as he/him.

Presumed to male, hardly anyone has actually seen the Emperor according to doff assignments.

Admiral Leeta has seen the Emperor and she refers to the Emperor as 'him'.

Unless she's lieing. Maybe there is a him she wants us to beleive is the emporer so we off him. LIke that guy in the mission we just killed in the holodeck. She coudl be setting, "him," up so we kill him then reveal she was working for the emporer the entire time to get his special project or something. No reason to think leeta is on our side.

What if leeta is the emporer and is just using us to get this prize we keep hearing about.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    aftulus wrote: »
    thay8472 wrote: »
    lnblade wrote: »
    who it is? do NOT click if you don't wanna know
    you
    Your solution doesn't work. The emperor is always referred to as he/him.

Presumed to male, hardly anyone has actually seen the Emperor according to doff assignments.

Admiral Leeta has seen the Emperor and she refers to the Emperor as 'him'.

Unless she's lieing. Maybe there is a him she wants us to beleive is the emporer so we off him. LIke that guy in the mission we just killed in the holodeck. She coudl be setting, "him," up so we kill him then reveal she was working for the emporer the entire time to get his special project or something. No reason to think leeta is on our side.

What if leeta is the emporer and is just using us to get this prize we keep hearing about.

I don't know. The moment we've dealt with the Emperor and whatever the prize is I expect she'll take the throne.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!

Hey, cap, you're the one claiming that the fact that Adira is NB was "shoehorned" into the show "because they want to be seen as PC relevant", as if enbies aren't valid in and of themselves but must be serving some higher PC "purpose". (In fact, it was "shoehorned" in because Blu del Barrio is themself enby, and there was no reason not to let their character reflect who they are.)

Also apparently claiming that Adina is the first "not-Trill-Trill", which in addition to ignoring Riker's own history on TNG is a bit of what might be called "fantastic racism" - we've already seen that Trill symbionts can bond with hosts of other species, and it's not unreasonable that Gray's affection for Adina could lead to a complete bond.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Did we? The only time a Trill Symbioant tried to bond with a non Trill that I can remember was that one time with Riker?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    I certainly don't recall any permanent bondings with non-trill before Adira - any that was outside the species has always been temporary.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    I certainly don't recall any permanent bondings with non-trill before Adira - any that was outside the species has always been temporary.​​
    The bonding with Riker was temporary because Riker's personality was quite strong, and also quite incompatible with Trill bonding. The symbiont seemed to be under the impression that it was going to be in him long enough to resume its romance with Crusher, after all. Adina, on the other hand, was barely more than a teenager, and had been playing host to the Tal symbiont long enough that they thought of themselves as a former Starfleet admiral, even though that was at least two hosts previous (Gray didn't appear old enough for the host to have been through the Academy yet, much less have risen through the ranks that fast).

And the only previous non-Trill binding that we've seen was with Riker, so we don't really know what the rules are. I mean, obviously Trill would be preferred as hosts, since they co-evolved with the symbionts and in current society are trained from youth how one bonds, but since we have seen that it's possible for a non-Trill to bond as well, then we know that's not an absolute requirement (the way that, for instance, a Human can't donate blood to a Vulcan because the oxygen-transport mechanism is incompatible). That's literally all we knew about it before; now we have evidence that non-Trill can bond with symbionts, but it's strongly frowned upon by Trill society (in part because they appear to have more potential hosts than symbionts available). The limitation appears to be that the candidate must be acceptable to all the host-engrams within the symbiont itself.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User

So C. cool your jets. Logically, whoever the Emperor is can't be any older than yTNG-era. If Beltran hadn't developed an allergy to Star Trek, I'd be wondering about the possibility of Emperor Chakotay.

Hey, cap, you're the one claiming that the fact that Adira is NB was "shoehorned" into the show "because they want to be seen as PC relevant", as if enbies aren't valid in and of themselves but must be serving some higher PC "purpose". (In fact, it was "shoehorned" in because Blu del Barrio is themself enby, and there was no reason not to let their character reflect who they are.)

Also apparently claiming that Adina is the first "not-Trill-Trill", which in addition to ignoring Riker's own history on TNG is a bit of what might be called "fantastic racism" - we've already seen that Trill symbionts can bond with hosts of other species, and it's not unreasonable that Gray's affection for Adina could lead to a complete bond.

Pretty sure that kayajay specifically said it shouldn’t be an issue. Also if it’s not shoehorned in please explain one way, just one, that Adira being non-binary contributes to the plot or their character in any way. Obvious tokenism is obvious.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    All Hail Emperor Kurland!
    He even has the napoleon/J Caesar hair going on
    James_Kurland.jpg
    Spock.jpg

So C. cool your jets. Logically, whoever the Emperor is can't be any older than yTNG-era. If Beltran hadn't developed an allergy to Star Trek, I'd be wondering about the possibility of Emperor Chakotay.

Pretty sure that kayajay specifically said it shouldn’t be an issue. Also if it’s not shoehorned in please explain one way, just one, that Adira being non-binary contributes to the plot or their character in any way. Obvious tokenism is obvious.
    How does Stamets being TRIBBLE, or Owo being a black woman, contribute to the plot? Obvious desire to exclude the unfamiliar is obvious.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    I'd say a better question would what does Adira being Non-binary take away from the story?

After all there's a difference between "non-binary character" and "a character who happens to be non-binary", in the first thee thing what makes them "different"(meaning them being non-binary) is also what defines the character 100%, while in the second that aspect is just one thing and doesn't define the character anymore then having dark hair (to use Adira as an example) does, it's an aspect of the character sure but no more important then any other aspect.

Not every aspect of a character must directly contribute into the plot, sometimes it could just be worldbuilding to make those characters seem more 3 dimensional. If a prominent character has only characteristics that directly contribute into the plot they'll feel artificial and shallow, sometimes you need things that have no baring to the plot and inform us about the character.
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    How does Stamets being TRIBBLE, or Owo being a black woman, contribute to the plot? Obvious desire to exclude the unfamiliar is obvious.

It doesn't. Nor are either thing ever raised as plot points.

Starfleet is far more tolerant than we are now. Adira wouldn't need to hide who they are, nor would they need to 'come out', because in the future, it's not an issue.

This is how I believe it should have been presented, and it would have made a much more powerful statement about how things can and should be.

I also think it would have been a more powerful statement if a couple other than Stamets/Culver 'adopted' them. But then, there aren't any other couples on the show, so that wouldn't have worked...

Having said all that, I think the way they did it was OK, and would have been absolutely fine if it weren't for the fact that we know it wouldn't have been an issue in the future.

-K

• macrilenmacrilen Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    2 persons could be it:
    YOU
    or
    a tribble.
    I'm not sure how that shows tolerance above what we have here - that kind of thing happens in the Navy too...yeah, you don't really get privacy on those ships.​​

#LegalizeAwoo

Well, I don't know - the ship I toured when I learned that little fact was a WW2-era ship, so it only showed male crew because obviously back then...female sailors were somewhat rare.​​

#LegalizeAwoo

It's a shame that the Terran Emperor is Terran, I rather have an Alien or another Hybrid as Terran Emperor, since this version of the empire is more open to the idea of promoting aliens into positions of power.
    edited October 2021
    I also hope I could team up and place my mirror self on the throne or have him use Leeta like a puppet Queen, can't really trust her to keep her word, but if I did have someone to trust in the mirror universe, it would have to be my other self, plus they're hot, personally I would romance myself if given the option, simply pointing out that we're same person, we could convince them enough to rule the mirror universe together, afterall why have a one-man army when you can have a two.
    It's a shame that the Terran Emperor is Terran, I rather have an Alien or another Hybrid as Terran Emperor, since this version of the empire is more open to the idea of promoting aliens into positions of power.

Oh no no no. Last time that happened the dirty alien made the Empire fall. Then some other dirty aliens came along and conquered humanity!

That aside though. There were a lot of aliens in the Terran Rebellion (Trills, Vulcans, Bajorans, Ferengi etc) fighting against the Alliance. I could very well see the Terrans admiring those races and accepting them into the Empire.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
This discussion has been closed.