test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Alpha Quadrant "social" customs

paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,780 Arc User
edited September 2021 in Ten Forward
let me get this straight, Romulans have threesomes and Andorians have orgies, just don't get me started on Denobulans, personally I find it interesting how some species are polyamorous.
Post edited by rattler2 on

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,369 Arc User
    Semi-canonically, Andorians have four physical genders, all of which are required for reproduction. Romulans having threesomes isn't for reproduction, as they can't have varied that far from their base Vulcan stock in only a few thousand years, so it must just be for fun. Something similar with Denobulans - they reproduce pretty much the same way as all the other humanoids, they just aren't hung up on pairing and fidelity. Those last two are cultural differences only. (We don't know how firmly Andorians bond in their four-person "marriages" - they need all four to reproduce, but they may not regard any sort of legal or paralegal contract as a prerequisite.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    If by 'semi-canonical' you mean 'completely and absolutely non-canonical' you are right 😁

Nothing indicates Andorians are in any way different than other humanoids. That a marriage is amongst four people can be a cultural thing just as well, polygamy. Or two partners are like a adjutant to the others. Data's throw away line was so vague that it could mean literally anything, and it's nothing even 'Enterprise' picked up.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,529 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    If by 'semi-canonical' you mean 'completely and absolutely non-canonical' you are right 😁

Nothing indicates Andorians are in any way different than other humanoids. That a marriage is amongst four people can be a cultural thing just as well, polygamy. Or two partners are like a adjutant to the others. Data's throw away line was so vague that it could mean literally anything, and it's nothing even 'Enterprise' picked up.

The fact that ENT danced around the Andorian reproductive issue instead of settling it one way or the other can just as easily be used to argue the opposite point to yours. And complicating the issue is the fact that Talas was taller than the males which could be part of that or could be another popular notion about Andorians that the females are generally (but not always) taller than the males.

Unless some official writer settles the matter once and for all, it is all just theories and either side could be right (or convoluted and alien enough that both are right at the same time).
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,043 Community Moderator
    @paradox#7391
    Could you please be more specific in your title? As it is now it's a bit... um... it could attract the wrong kind of attention.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options

The fact that ENT danced around the Andorian reproductive issue instead of settling it one way or the other can just as easily be used to argue the opposite point to yours. And complicating the issue is the fact that Talas was taller than the males which could be part of that or could be another popular notion about Andorians that the females are generally (but not always) taller than the males.

Unless some official writer settles the matter once and for all, it is all just theories and either side could be right (or convoluted and alien enough that both are right at the same time).

Did they 'dance around it'? At least when I read the summary of Shran's appearances regarding his family, it is pretty much presented as if it is a monogamous relationship. Talas died and then he fell in love with the Aenar woman with whom he has a child. Memory Alpha uses the term that the two married, but I don't know if they actually said they did in the show. In any case though, there would have been the opportunity to adress this, but it looks pretty... classic.

But you are right, canon is non specific on the matter - however, I personally think there aren't any facts that varant to hold on to the novel version. But as far as alien concepts go, what Data would 'translate' as marriage could also, for instance, not even be a matter of reproduction or romance. To borrow from another franchise, in Warhammer 40k the warriors of the Tau-race 'bond' with each other before they go into battle. This bonding is a ritual involving multiple individuals who cut each other with a ceremonial knife and according to the Tau race codex, the closest equivalent humans know to the bonding is marriage. Andorians appearantly have a clan-like societal structure in which a bond with close confidants seems to be a possiblity.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    @paradox#7391
    Could you please be more specific in your title? As it is now it's a bit... um... it could attract the wrong kind of attention.

Not only that, the title doesn't even apply - nothing in the OP even remotely approaches NSFW content as it isn't in any way graphic.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    Ok I changed the name of the thread. If anyone has a better suggestion let me know. Either that or OP can change it later.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Ok I changed the name of the thread. If anyone has a better suggestion let me know. Either that or OP can change it later.

Why the euphemism? Just call it mating customs. OP self-censoring it, proclaiming it's not safe for work, then the euphemism - I don't think anything in here requires this level of victorian prudery, nothing graphic or inappropriate over the boundaries of what the Star Trek series show is going on. pig-3.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,780 Arc User

Thanks
  • Options
    Why the euphemism? Just call it mating customs. OP self-censoring it, proclaiming it's not safe for work, then the euphemism - I don't think anything in here requires this level of victorian prudery, nothing graphic or inappropriate over the boundaries of what the Star Trek series show is going on. pig-3.gif​​

I didn't know what else to call it, and wasn't sure on how sensitive some people might be. So I took the safer route. Like I said, I or even the OP can rename it later. At least now its not liable to attract the unwanted kind of attention.